+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 1,005: Demon Child

Default Chapter 1,005: Demon Child

Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

Default Re: Chapter 1,005: Demon Child

YES, a Robin chapter. Please Oda, push Brook away so Robin can have Black Maria 1v1.

A very enjoyable chapter!
    Here’s how Naruto should end: Last panel is Naruto standing proudly over Konohagakure. Slowly zoom out to reveal Luffy staring into a snowglobe with a miniature Konoha inside it. Usopp asks him what he’s doing. Luffy replies “Thinkin’ bout ninjas! Ninjas are cool!” and then chucks it off the ship

I hope you don't mind if I share this here as well, sandman. Because I'm sure this debate will come up

https://twitter.com/sandman_AP/statu...65602339561474

I have no issue whatsoever with a strong man having to rely on a strong woman to deal with his weakness.

And I'm sure everyone will get their fight, some may even get more than one. There's still so much to unravel, we are nowhere near the end of this arc.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

I'll let everyone else handle the Sanji stuff, but I'll let my thoughts be made clear on that with my review score of the chapter.
    So. The chapter gets a massive boost for: Robin damaging an Officer level character of a very strong crew, and Jack getting back into action.
    People can tell me it's "in character", but Sanji drags down the chapter a lot for me. I think there's plenty of other ways Oda could've handled this. I certainly also don't think Sanji needs to be this bloody. This is somewhat assuaged by the fact that there are multiple healers around, so maybe he'll get patched up.

So due to the Robin part alone, I'd easily give the chapter a 9 or 9.5/10. Jack would've pushed it higher since he didn't HAVE to come back into action, but I knew he would because reasons. How Oda chose to handle Sanji's situation this chapter drops it down to a 7/10 for me.
    Croc or Enel would never.
    Wanna see the "ancient civilization destroyed" thing done really well? FFXIV did a great take on it. The bar's high for One Piece to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    I have no issue whatsoever with a strong man having to rely on a strong woman to deal with his weakness.

And I'm sure everyone will get their fight, some may even get more than one. There's still so much to unravel, we are nowhere near the end of this arc.
    I think depending on how Oda does things and the pacing the arc might not have as long as some of us think .
    Like the fights can be done in 1 chapter and some of them being semi team battles would make it faster .
    It the roof top fight and ending of the arc with how much info we can get i not certain about .
    TLG , FFVIIR and Shenmue 3 2015 the E3 of dreams .

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    Neither do I. What I do have a problem with is that the timeskip was meant for the Straw Hats to get stronger but the main thing it did to Sanji was amplify his weakness to women. It's not his conviction not to hit women because it's the chivalrous thing to do. It's the fact that even in this dire situation he can't help but think that this might be heaven.
    To Sanji's credit he did try to run away. But maybe he should have focused on that instead of simultaneously beating up all of Black Maria's male goons while avoiding the women. We still could have gotten a scene where he frantically tries to get away because he knows it's not his fight to fight, eventually running into Robin and Brook who take over for him, showing that he trusts them to take care of it and that Robin especially knows how to handle herself. Oda could have made all three of them look badass, but he chose to focus on Robin, at the expense of Sanji.

Quote Originally Posted by andy View Post
    I think depending on how Oda does things and the pacing the arc might not have as long as some of us think .
    Like the fights can be done in 1 chapter and some of them being semi team battles would make it faster .
    It the roof top fight and ending of the arc with how much info we can get i not certain about .
    There's still Big Mom, Fukurokuju, Perospero, the Big Mom Pirates, the Numbers, Hawkins and so much more to be resolved beyond just the fights.

So sanji vs jack has anything to do with black power ranger having a mammoth zord...

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

This was a pretty cool chapter...

...though the Sanji scene is a pretty mixed bag for me. On one hand, it definitely seems like Oda's intention was for Sanji to intentionally cry out for help with the knowledge and faith that Robin was capable enough to handle Black Maria. Robin's affirmation of such was a great moment, and when you think about it, it's a very nice character development for Sanji who, in both Baratie and Whole Cake Island, thought it was better to take abuse and die rather than trust in his crewmates to help him. On the other hand, the scene still loses a bit of its oomph considering that Sanji's entrapment is almost entirely of his own design, and so for this development to happen now unfortunately has the implications of him being pathetic even if Oda wants to portray the "can't-hit-woman" thing in a positive light.

Still, I think the good outweighs the bad in that scene especially considering that it's Robin's time to shine baby! Seeing her flashing her badass, dark comedy persona was something that was long missed. And we have Brook along for the ride, who will certainly have things to say about Black Maria's womanly charms but not to as great of a degree as Sanji. And if the man Sanji can snap out of this and save the Scabbards from Jack, I daresay I won't have disdain for this scene at all.

Spoiler:

My problem isn't Sanji relying on a crewmate (a woman on top!), but him being in that situation to begin with.
    He knows very well that women are his supreme weakness. Yet he "abandonned" his captain and fell for such a dumb trap in the mdidle of a war against 2 emperors and needed to get bailed out for that.
    I thought fishman island showed he could ignite himself on fire (Hell Memories) without even spinning, couldn't he have burn the spider web?
    It's really cool Robin had such a great entrance after such a long time, and Sanji confidence in her ability to handle the situation. but as @Coookie and @Kaworu said I'm sure there were other ways to have these two things without making Sanji so pitiful. Yeah, I'm salty.

Sanji runs away, Black Maria: "Come back here, Black Leg, I need you as a bait for Nico Robin", they end up running into her, cue Sanji's shocked face, BM: "Ha, you idiot, you brought me right to her after all", Robin bitchspanks BM, Sanji: "Joke's on you, she'll just beat you up herself"

This would've been so easy

Author Comments 2/28/2021: https://www.viz.com/blog/posts/mangaka-musings-02-28-2021

Eiichiro Oda

Koshizuka corn beef is so good it’s a problem. I’m having it at every meal. A big problem!
    Last edited by Shift; March 10th, 2021 at 09:23 AM.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

Lit the Fire of Shandora! will-of-R's Avatar

5 stages of grief as Sanji’s fan in Chapter 1005

1. Furious -> when reading the text spoiler on Tuesday
    2. Denial -> still don’t know why Oda’s put Sanji on trial. There are lot of possible scenario which doesn’t need to lead to this (Wed & Thu)
    3. Bargaining -> Read at deeper lv. Understand Sanji’s awesome growth. Hoping that he’ll get redemption (Friday after scanlation released)
    4. Acceptance-> the wise side of Sanji’s fan with deep insight (Saturday)
    5. LOL -> laughing alongside Sanji’s fan and the internet There are too much to cover, we are on the same boat even with Hiroaki Hirata �� (Sunday after Official Release)

Quote Originally Posted by Kfunk View Post
    I thought fishman island showed he could ignite himself on fire (Hell Memories) without even spinning, couldn't he have burn the spider web?
    He still needs to spin, Oda just doesn't draw the transitions anymore to cut down on panel time. Same with Luffy's gears or Choppers alt forms.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Lit the Fire of Shandora! will-of-R's Avatar

Anyway a big shoutout to Stephen Paul to make the things clearer this chapter, especially on Jinbei’s comment and Sanji’s Haki. He really takes the criticism positively then proof himself afterwards. Cool !

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    He still needs to spin, Oda just doesn't draw the transitions anymore to cut down on panel time. Same with Luffy's gears or Choppers alt forms.
    What about that time when they went to Fishman Island and Sanji activated Diable Jambe while underwater?
    That time he charged at Doflamingo is debatable but to me it still looks like he activates Diable Jambe while midair

10/10 for the much needed Robin hype, god that was so satisfying given how long we've been waiting. As for Sanji, a part of me was not into how long he was trapped, but this chapter having him openly plead with Robin to come and save him made me up warm to it. Nice unexpected reversal of roles that hyped up Robin while showing that Sanji's WCI developments didn't just magically vanish.

And as far as the cool factor goes, Black Maria is easily #1, which I wasn't expecting. Between the brass knuckles, badass weapon, and the tattoo, she has a really amazing aesthetic and vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by Coookie View Post
    What about that time when they went to Fishman Island and Sanji activated Diable Jambe while underwater?
    The water provided the needed friction, obviously!

That he and Luffy did fire moves underwater at all is... a thing.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

I was assuming it would be Sanji vs. Queen, but Sanji vs Jack seems probably now. If it does happen, i can't wait for all the people saying that Sanji isn't hurt as much as Jack.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information