+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chapter 1006: The Honorable Hyogoro the Flower

Default Chapter 1006: The Honorable Hyogoro the Flower

Default Re: Chapter 1006: The Honorable Hyogoro the Flower

Are the forum safe again? Lol.

This was one of the best chapters in a while.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Are the forum safe again? Lol.

This was one of the best chapters in a while.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

This chapter includes one of the things I like most about One Piece, thst Oda takes the time and effort to focus on the secondary (or even tertiary) characters like Hyogoro and really make the readers care about them.

I also didn't expect Perospero to actually defeat Carrot and Wanda. I assume there will be a rematch, but it's fun to have him in the middle of the action for now.

So...where are we going with Perospero exactly? The man isn't the most important character, but we keep getting reminded that he exists and that he's fairly strong (but regardless of that he's not the strongest man here). I really wonder what the payoff will be here, cause it could be anything from him becoming another antagonist to some other twist involving the Big Mom pirates.

I'd say he's here so the fight Pedro started with him can be finished, giving Carrot closure over his death. Or at least that's the main reason.

I hope Oda takes full advantage of his status as a wild card and does something fun. Maybe not full-on betrayal of the beast pirates (nor allying with them completely, that'd be too boring for my taste) but at least cause some havoc, or aid his crew and captain in some way. Could even be something simple like when Absalom smuggled Moriah from Marineford. I suppose that's another reason for him to be there, so that Big Mom isn't left at the mercy of the beast pirates and actually has an ally who can help her, or react to her actions.

Hooray! Forum's back on!

A full villains colour spread isn't something we've had in a looooong time. You might even be able to say it's unprecedented. The Warlords spread for chapter 532 wasn't technically all villains, and the Baroque Works one all the way back in chapter 160 still managed to sneak in Luffy and Eyelashes. The other ones that have featured villains (Arlong's crew for chapter 82 and Cipher Pol for chapter 377) also had the Strawhats lined up against them. Part of me is worried the choice to do a big colour piece of the villains here means they won't get the cover for volume 99, but we'll see how we go.

The overhead shot in the first page after the spread actually shows that the bridge that ran across the middle in the establishing shots of the Performance Floor was knocked down. We still don't know by who and at what point in the battle, but it's nice that Oda actually acknowledged it. That said, it's kinda one step forward two steps back for Onigahima's interior layout, as what we see of the lower half of the Performance floor doesn't really seem to match the map. Look at the map oriented with the birds eye view here:

There should be another structure next to the bathhouse that isn't drawn at all, even when we see that area from below as Yamato and Perospero approach it later in the chapter. Oda hasn't even left any room for it to fit.

And speaking of those two, Yamato's group is seen ascending toward the Performance Floor early in the chapter, then disappear. They don't pass through Marco's fight or Hyo's rampage, which should have been in their path, but they're also not there anymore when Perospero catches up to the same place near the end of the chapter. Did they take a detour around the main battleground? Or were they picked up by a certain individual with a quick movement speed, high-tech stealth gear and the ability to fly while carrying several grown adults? I think that's gonna be my guess on Sanji's choice.

Outside, Carrot and Wanda have fallen, which is a damn shame. I hope Carrot's able to pick herself up and get at least some catharsis and closure before all's said and done. I really enjoyed her presence as a supporting member of the Tottoland cast so it stings that she's been sidelined so hard through Wano. There was a time she even had crewmate potential, but I think that dream is dead at this point.

I like that we got a glimpse of buff Hyogoro in a background shot last chapter, without any of the context to set up how he got like that. It's those kinds of little details that can only be fully understood on the reread that make this series worth revisiting as much as I do. And it turns out Hyo was a beast back in the day. I figured he'd be no slouch, having enough skill to train Luffy, but wow! He seems to have singlehandedly tied off the Oniwabanshu and Mimawarugimi plot threads in the battle, though Fukurojiku remains at large, presumably doingsomething nefarious.

Queen shows up in an unexpected place, down near the end of the upper level of the Performance Floor. Last we saw him, he was up on the castle balcony. He couldn't have got to where he is without going past Chopper's group, so either he doesn't see the antivirus plan as a threat, or he just considers Marco (or moving in Yamato's direction) the higher priority. I also really appreciate that when we see it, his gun still shows the damage Zoro caused to it. Does that thing still work as a sawn-off?

Marco seems to be taking a leaf out of Hawks' book (from My Hero Academia) using all those feathers the way he does. No complaints here, Hawks is one of my Hero Aca favourites.

For spacing reference, King is last seen being dunked into the bathhouse, which is the same location Usopp and Nami were originally fighting Page One and Ulti a while back. Queen is kicked from the roof of the bathouse into the side of the closest building on the upper level. Then Marco descends to near the stairs leading out to be seen by Perospero.

The chapter ends on a pretty tense note for old Hyo, but there's no doubt in my mind Chopper's going to come through with the antidote at the last moment.

I really enjoyed this one overall. We've got heroes falling and running out of stamina rapidly, potentially leaving some of the heaviest hitters on the island (who all seem to be in better shape) free to wreak havoc among the rank and file. And with the Sulon-empowering moon out of sight and the Flower Capital dangerously close, this feels like it could be the start of the battle's darkest hour. I'm on the edge of my seat.

Author Comments 3/07/2021: https://www.viz.com/blog/posts/manga...ngs-03-07-2021

Eiichiro Oda

One Piece has been especially ramping up for the anime since Wano started! Please check it out!

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

Quote Originally Posted by Shift View Post
    Author Comments 3/07/2021: https://www.viz.com/blog/posts/manga...ngs-03-07-2021

Eiichiro Oda

https://de7i3bh7bgh0d.cloudfront.net...chiro-odaP.jpg

One Piece has been especially ramping up for the anime since Wano started! Please check it out!
    And he's right. The anime has been great since Wano started, besides a small lull in act 2, but the Oden flashback is on now and I recommend everyone take a look at it. The latest episode ended with the clash between Whitebeard and Roger and it definitely met the hype.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

The chapter should have been called "Perospero, eldest son of the Big Mom Pirates".

Tormenting the protagonists with the harsh truth is always so deliciously effective, it reminded me a lot of Crocodile's famous Vivi-roast.

Spoiler:

Crocodile: "If you do this, you can stop the rebellion. If you do that, you can stop the rebellion. Your idealism makes me want to vomit.

Vivi: "I don't care what you think, I will never abandon my ideals!"

Crocodile: "What a brat you are. If you had warned the royal family of the explosion earlier it might have caused a panic, but you could've saved thousands of lives. Your naive believe that you can save everyone will now only result in the annihilation of your beloved people.

Vivi: "...!!!"

Crocodile: "You spied on my organisatiom for two years. Well done. But in the end, all your efforts were in vain. Your wishful attempts to pacify the rebells and save the kingdom... only multiplied the death toll!

It is nice to be reminded that Marco was once the right-hand to the strongest person in the world.

Delicious seeing him take on the right-hand and left-hand of the strongest Creature in the world.

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

I know Hotei wasn't exactly the most standout member of the baddies, but dang, that was pitiful.

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    And he's right. The anime has been great since Wano started, besides a small lull in act 2, but the Oden flashback is on now and I recommend everyone take a look at it. The latest episode ended with the clash between Whitebeard and Roger and it definitely met the hype.
    The pacing issues persist though...

But you're right, the Roger and Whitebeard fight feels like it was made for the anime's current style with its big haki-driven blast of light and energy shaking a whole island. All of the Dragonball auras and cube-shaped environmental destruction in places they didn't quite fit were practice for this moment.

Perospero is bassicaly replacing Drake in the Tobi Roppo, and just like the Tobi Roppo he will be fought by a StrawHat.

Quote Originally Posted by Syphin View Post
    It is nice to be reminded that Marco was once the right-hand to the strongest person in the world.

Delicious seeing him take on the right-hand and left-hand of the strongest Creature in the world.
    But why was Marco the right hand of whitebeard?. We see in the flashbacks that he was just an apprentice in Oden’s time, who were the officials and where are they now?.

The main reason is because Marco is written that way by Oda. The others present in the flashback who weren't featured more may not have been important at all and served to only play the role Oda needed them for during the flashback.

Marco, among the other Whitebeard Pirates, aligns most closely with Whitebeard's belief and desires. Which is also why he has inherited Whitebeard's will.

Alongside Whitebeard, Marco was shown to be the Whitebeard Pirate most interested in Oden. Plus Marco post-Payback War opted to return to Whitebeard's home and protect it.

For all intents and purpose, Marco is now the embodiment of the Whitebeard Pirates. Not only did he prevent the Big Mom Pirates from reaching Wano Kuni (except Perospero) but he is currently preventing both King and Queen from targeting anybody else. When the Samurai and the Straw Hat Pirates win, Marco will be a major reason why. When Ace's promise is fulfilled, Marco will have had a significant hand in bringing it to fruition. Right now, Marco is serving as a guide for the New Generation present. Helping to pave the path they will traverse on in defining the coming era.

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

Oda loves his old and middle-aged guys. Marco 45, Perospero 50, Hyogoro probably in his 70's or even 80's. Quite the performances from all of them. For the first time since it debuted it feels like Ice Oni has real stakes (though obviously Chopper will make the antidote in time), and I'd be cool with seeing Hyogoro actually die (though I'm not thinking he will, if Oda was going to go through with it it likely would've happened at the end of the chapter like Pedro). I wonder if Ice Oni could possibly activate Chopper's Monster Point if it gets to a similar point as it did with Ol' Hyo.

Spoiler:

Discovered Stowaway astagadragon's Avatar

Hyogoro pwns the fodder alliance that are Miwamarigumi and Oniawabanshu, that is a huge win in my book lol
    "The rain has ceased, and we have been graced by another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it." - Elidibus

I still can't get over why Queen placed the antidote on the board so easily.

Surely, if he was serious about eliminating his enemies, he would have kept the antidote on person. That would seem to be the most logical thing to do.

I understand the fun/entertainment achieved by dangling hope in front of the enemy and watching them dance to your tune but the same end could have been reached by using a fake antidote and giving it to Apoo instead of the real one.

It just seems so weird and foolish to pave the path of your defeat.

I just hope there will be some condition required that Queen is confident the enemy forces can't replicate which is why he so easily offered up the antidote (Apoo wasn't even that strong). Who knows maybe dragon fire is required for creating the vaccine.

Well regardless of how it happens, Chopper is getting his moment to shine.

Quote Originally Posted by Syphin View Post
    I still can't get over why Queen placed the antidote on the board so easily.

Surely, if he was serious about eliminating his enemies, he would have kept the antidote on person. That would seem to be the most logical thing to do.

I understand the fun/entertainment achieved by dangling hope in front of the enemy and watching them dance to your tune but the same end could have been reached by using a fake antidote and giving it to Apoo instead of the real one.

It just seems so weird and foolish to pave the path of your defeat.

I just hope there will be some condition required that Queen is confident the enemy forces can't replicate which is why he so easily offered up the antidote (Apoo wasn't even that strong). Who knows maybe dragon fire is required for creating the vaccine.

Well regardless of how it happens, Chopper is getting his moment to shine.
    I don't think we can expect Queen to be aware that there's a doctor with enough competency to develop a necessary cure. If they manage to mass replicate the antibodies, it's because Chopper is insanely talented.

A single vial of antibodies would've only helped a few dozens of people, so letting Apoo have it would've been inconsequential under normal circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by tenchu View Post
    But why was Marco the right hand of whitebeard?. We see in the flashbacks that he was just an apprentice in Oden’s time, who were the officials and where are they now?.
    Shanks was also an apprentice in Roger's ship and out of everyone who was on that ship, he is the one who became an Emperor.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information