+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Chapter 1,005: Demon Child

Default Re: Chapter 1,005: Demon Child

On a somewhat related note to Sanji, Im curious what happened to the Vinsmokes at this point or if they will come up in this arc. Im pretty sure they were last seen fighting Big Mom if Im remembering correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Coookie View Post
    Like not getting distracted by damsels in distress that bring out the white knight in him in the middle of a raid against the pirate crew of the strongest creature alive?
    He's not even white knighting at this point, that would be if he started fighting people who tried to fight those girls. You don't see him having a problem with Brook coming in to help Robin.

Which could have been demonstrated without taking away his credibility as proven by the comments other characters made in this chapter.
    He didn't even lose any credibility, other characters making fun of him doesn't take away from this being character growth

Because the first 1v1 fight he got after two years of training already showed him reaching his limits. Never mind that it was a comparison of pre- and post-TS, why would the start of post-TS Sanji be off limits?
    That's stupid because at that point it was a common complaint that the Straw Hats were curbstomping everyone in their path and had no challenge whatsoever. FI was rightfully a curb-stomp, but Punk Hazard is where they should have started having to try

A cheap powerup that feels undeserved because he had to do absolutely nothing to receive it. He literally got it handed to him.
    lol how is it cheap, he had to swallow his dignity and inner demons to make himself use it. The fact that he's embracing his past and using it now is character development. If he was still refusing to use it, he'd be in the same boat back when Kalifa kicked his ass, refusing to move forward because of dumb pride.

I don't consider Sanji to be among the Emperors' top dogs
    It's not really up to you, that's what he and Zoro are, and possibly Jinbe now too.

Funny that you mention turning invisible and moving at high speeds since it didn't help him escape from Black Maria. He even tripped when he ran away from her lol
    You can use this argument for any character in the series. Why doesn't Robin just snap every enemy's back. Why doesn't Zoro just crit every enemy on sight, we know he can do it. Why doesn't Nami just mirage every situation or zipzap everyone vulnerable, it'd prolly help save a ton of time. Because plot.
    Replies in bold, multiquoting sucks
    Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー)TSUKAME SUCCESS !

Quote Originally Posted by FelRes View Post
    He's not even white knighting at this point, that would be if he started fighting people who tried to fight those girls. You don't see him having a problem with Brook coming in to help Robin.
    So what does that change about him being in that situation because he couldn't focus on the important task at hand and instead tried to be a white knight in the first place?

He didn't even lose any credibility, other characters making fun of him doesn't take away from this being character growth
    You can say "character growth" all you want, people usually don't make fun of people they take seriously. And by having other characters make fun of Sanji Oda shows that he's fully aware of what it looks like.

That's stupid because at that point it was a common complaint that the Straw Hats were curbstomping everyone in their path and had no challenge whatsoever. FI was rightfully a curb-stomp, but Punk Hazard is where they should have started having to try
    So why not a middle ground between absolute curbstomp and Sanji already reaching his limit? Equal blows for a while, him remarking that Virgo's a tough nut to crack, whatever?

lol how is it cheap, he had to swallow his dignity and inner demons to make himself use it. The fact that he's embracing his past and using it now is character development. If he was still refusing to use it, he'd be in the same boat back when Kalifa kicked his ass, refusing to move forward because of dumb pride.
    Because it goes against the whole point of the Germa 66 subplot, that he doesn't need the Vinsmokes' enhanced genes or technology, and that he will become strong on his own.

It's not really up to you, that's what he and Zoro are, and possibly Jinbe now too.
    Do you have any references of characters referring to Sanji in the same vein as other Emperor commanders? Because I can't recall any instances

You can use this argument for any character in the series. Why doesn't Robin just snap every enemy's back. Why doesn't Zoro just crit every enemy on sight, we know he can do it. Why doesn't Nami just mirage every situation or zipzap everyone vulnerable, it'd prolly help save a ton of time. Because plot.
    In those other instances it makes for a more interesting plot. From the reactions to this chapter I daresay the reception is rather split in that regard with me belonging to the ones who groan at Sanji's display.

So what does that change about him being in that situation because he couldn't focus on the important task at hand and instead tried to be a white knight in the first place?

He thought a woman was forcibly getting her clothes ripped off, maybe even worse. Ignoring that would be callous and weird for any character, not just Sanji

You can say "character growth" all you want, people usually don't make fun of people they take seriously. And by having other characters make fun of Sanji Oda shows that he's fully aware of what it looks like.

Yeah what it *looks* like. What actually matters is when Robin thanks him for believing in her, because that was the point. People in the series misinterpret and make fun of the heroic characters when they don't have the whole story all the time.

So why not a middle ground between absolute curbstomp and Sanji already reaching his limit? Equal blows for a while, him remarking that Virgo's a tough nut to crack, whatever?

Because Oda wanted to establish Vergo as a threat, so he had him fight someone strong. It's why he had Sanji enter the fight with his body already injured from when Nami had it and the fight didn't even end. Most of the "fight" is spent with Vergo's head through a wall.

Because it goes against the whole point of the Germa 66 subplot, that he doesn't need the Vinsmokes' enhanced genes or technology, and that he will become strong on his own.

There's a difference between "You are completely worthless unless you have our special genes and technology" to "We acknowledge that you helped us, here is something that might aid you in the future after you just spent an entire arc validating why choosing your own path was the right choice".

Do you have any references of characters referring to Sanji in the same vein as other Emperor commanders? Because I can't recall any instances

Do you seriously believe that there's someone in the crew besides Luffy, Zoro or Jinbe who's stronger than Sanji? That makes him one of the top fighters in the crew
    Answers in bold, the last point was more opinion based so I skipped it.

Quote Originally Posted by Capone Bege View Post
    On a somewhat related note to Sanji, I’m curious what happened to the Vinsmokes at this point or if they will come up in this arc. I’m pretty sure they were last seen fighting Big Mom if I’m remembering correctly.
    Yes, they were preparing to retreat when Big Mom arrived in the battle. I assume their fate was grim, considering they didn't have the luxury of being far away like the Straw Hats or able to escape to the depths of the ocean like the Sun Pirates. If they escaped, their fleet is probably destroyed, and maybe not all of siblings (or Judge) survived.

Considering Big Mom and her children are here, I guess we are still getting into that in this arc. It's interesting that the SHs without clear matches (Chopper, Brook and Sanji) were all from the WCI team.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

Quote Originally Posted by Sibersk Esto View Post
    Answers in bold, the last point was more opinion based so I skipped it.
    Totally agreed on how only Robin's opinion actually matters, not some random Kid Pirate that doesn't even know the full picture.

Default Chapter 1,005: Demon Child

He thought a woman was forcibly getting her clothes ripped off, maybe even worse. Ignoring that would be callous and weird for any character, not just Sanji
    Sounds like being a white knight is only good or bad whenever you guys see fit

Yeah what it *looks* like. What actually matters is when Robin thanks him for believing in her, because that was the point. People in the series misinterpret and make fun of the heroic characters when they don't have the whole story all the time.
    And as I've said multiple times now, we could have gotten the same point without ridiculing Sanji again. Never mind that one thing being the point of a scene doesn't have to come at the cost of other things.

Because Oda wanted to establish Vergo as a threat, so he had him fight someone strong. It's why he had Sanji enter the fight with his body already injured from when Nami had it and the fight didn't even end. Most of the "fight" is spent with Vergo's head through a wall.
    Another instance where I feel like Oda could have easily made the same point without it being at the expense of Sanji yet again.

There's a difference between "You are completely worthless unless you have our special genes and technology" to "We acknowledge that you helped us, here is something that might aid you in the future after you just spent an entire arc validating why choosing your own path was the right choice".
    Yes there is a difference, namely them being two completely independent points. Funnily enough you kind of underline why it is so ridiculous. Sanji chose his own path as the right choice and where did that bring him? Back to the Vinsmokes' path by having to rely on their tech.

Do you seriously believe that there's someone in the crew besides Luffy, Zoro or Jinbe who's stronger than Sanji? That makes him one of the top fighters in the crew
    At this point? I see Franky above Sanji, yeah. Depending on whether Yamato will join he's probably above, too.
    Also, the line for Emperor commanders isn't necessarily after the top three fighters like you imply. Kaidou may have three but Big Mom had four, Blackbeard has ten, Whitebeard had 16 and we know nothing about Shanks' crew's power hierarchy. And right now, I see the line after Zoro and Jimbei because post-TS Sanji hasn't demonstrated that he is still close to them in fighting power. Although that's also because Oda puts Zoro on a pedestal while using Sanji as a gag machine. Huge dissonance between those two's portrayals.
    Last edited by Coookie; February 28th, 2021 at 06:38 PM.

It seems that opinions on Sanji's situation are mixed. I'd just like to chime in on how I feel about it.

I love Sanji calling to Robin for help. He recognises his weakness and is willing to rely on his crewmates, acknowledging their strength in the process. I feel like a younger Sanji would've died before asking for help, trying to keep his pride intact. He's definitely grown.
    The added benefit of letting the alliance know about the surveillance rats is just icing on the cake.
    FC(3DS) - 2724-4238-5489 (LZTan)
    FC(Switch) - SW-3434-4042-7728 (Jin)
    Bond en Avant practices drawing in general

I draw a silly comic about school and life.

Sounds like being a white knight is only good or bad whenever you guys see fit

If there's a moment in a story where a character explicitly ignores something bad happening to an innocent civilian just because they're on their way to do something important, it will 100% be meant to be interpreted as that character having grown more callous and headed towards a darker path. Obviously that's not a direction Oda is going to take Sanji's character (as he shouldn't) so no, Sanji isn't going to ignore a woman about to get sexually assaulted, "white knighting" or no.

And as I've said multiple times now, we could have gotten the same point without ridiculing Sanji again. Never mind that one thing being the point of a scene doesn't have to come at the cost of other things.

Oda's has never cared if he makes his characters look silly, ridiculous or weak. He doesn't think there's an inherent value to writing characters as untouchably cool all the time. If he worried about whether or not Sanji was looking cool he wouldn't have had characters literally expect him to do the standard "stoic hero" speech only for him not to do it. Oda knows that's what people expected, but it wasn't what was important, at least not to him.

Another instance where I feel like Oda could have easily made the same point without it being at the expense of Sanji yet again.

It only happened because Sanji was the only one aside from Luffy and Zoro with enough credibility to establish Vergo as a threat. And again, when it happened Oda went out of his way to "protect" Sanji.

Yes there is a difference, namely them being two completely independent points. Funnily enough you kind of underline why it is so ridiculous. Sanji chose his own path as the right choice and where did that bring him? Back to the Vinsmokes' path by having to rely on their tech.

The difference is that Sanji has the choice to use it or not. He's not a brainwashed sociopathic mercenary, he's doing it of his own accord to help the people important to him which is completely opposed to his family and why they use that tech.

At this point? I see Franky above Sanji, yeah. Depending on whether Yamato will join he's probably above, too.
    Also, the line for Emperor commanders isn't necessarily after the top three fighters like you imply. Kaidou may have three but Big Mom had four, Blackbeard has ten, Whitebeard had 16 and we know nothing about Shanks' crew's power hierarchy. And right now, I see the line after Zoro and Jimbei because post-TS Sanji hasn't demonstrated that he is still close to them in fighting power. Although that's also because Oda puts Zoro on a pedestal while using Sanji as a gag machine. Huge dissonance between those two's portrayals.

Oda clearly established the hierarchy by having Luffy, Zoro and Sanji develop haki and no one else in the crew. And Sanji has always been under Zoro, that's practically canonical.
    Once again the answers are in bold.

Quote Originally Posted by LightningAce View Post
    They may or may not fight but i simply do not see Sanji beating Jack.

Jack has shown he's got insane durability. He survived his encounter with Fujitora/Sengoku, survived after his fleet got smashed to pieces by Zunisha. Fought against an army of minks for 5 days straight, and then the battle
    at the top.
    I don't see what Sanji has that can put him down.

He should be facing Page One
    I think your takes are super funny. In large part because of how absolute they are. I mean what did you think of the CP9 Saga after Luffy and Zoro were humiliated at the Galley La Company? Or that after just barely barley getting a pinch through Blueno's Iron Body Sanji had no issue dealing with Jabra's who was the only fighter who could utilize his Iron Body while moving and having a higher power level on paper? I'm not going to argue or try to convince you otherwise as this has been your opinion for a very long time. It's just quite interesting to see your takes so consistent for so long.

- - -
    Sanji is definitely one of my favorites but I absolutely adore each Straw Hat. I feel like I come on these boards half the time just to be a cheer leader in the Straw Hat Defense force. So some of my opinions might not be taken too seriously since I tend to be less critical. However I like to think a few people might change their minds after reading what I say. I know that there are quite a few posters here who manage sway my thoughts often or at the very least put things in a light I had not considered.

First Oda's words to Sanji's voice actor. I can understand an actor not enjoying their character is being written. I have to ask myself though, what did Oda say and what did he do? Oda said something to the affect in 2018 that Sanji would no longer be getting any highlights or something? I don't know. But reading earlier thats the gist of it. Sanji is a character that often pursues a goal but then gets egg on his face in the process. This is(or was) very consistent with women especially pre-time skip. Pre-time skip Oda never really allowed Sanji to indulge with women or rather they wouldn't be to receptive to him. I'm trying to think of one moment where a woman was flirting with him or made heart eyes for him pre-time skip. His whole goal with a bounty was about impressing women with his good looks. He finally gets a bounty, relatively high for a first timer, more than Luffy, Zoro and Jinbe but it's an ugly drawing and he gets made fun of for it.

After the time skip however Oda let the mermaids really be receptive to him. I expected them to be grossed out but they enjoyed Sanji swimming around with them. Viola learned of Sanji's weakness through intel and tried to exploit it. What happened however was that Viola started to fall for Sanji. She appreciated that he could tell that she was going through some inner turmoil. That Vinsmoke cook and I believe Monet both blushed when Sanji complimented them on their cooking and looks respectively. Then we have Pudding who completely fell head over heels for him and actually managed a kiss. Even this chapter you've got these background woman almost falling in love with him and Robin giving him a mighty fine compliment. I know thats not what people really want when they want him to shine. These aren't fighting wins but they are wins. That in one aspect is the author giving Sanji some respect.

Really though when it comes to respecting his characters who has been given more time of day than Sanji post time skip? I don't mean wins in a fight, or fights at all, but just over all narrative focus! How many of us have felt so short changed with Robin, Chopper or Nami these past 10 years? They've had their moments of course but not to the extent Sanji has had. Even today I thought for sure we'd get some heavy Zoro focus this arc since Sanji got some heavy focus last arc. You have to be kidding yourself it feels like Zoro has had the focus this arc that Sanji had last arc. Zoro has straight up connections and lineage with the people of Wano and all we get is an SBS answer out of it? I know Oda wants to wrap things up and there is still time but I want to know how Zoro might feel about that kind of thing. Maybe he doesn't care, thats fine, but I want to see him not care!

Of course fights and feats of strength are what people are really on about and I don't blame them. The fighting in One Piece is one of my favorite aspects about the story. I encourage everyone who is still salty over Vergo to read it again while keeping the plot in context. By that point since the reunion a Vice Admiral was the highest level opponent the crew had faced. Caesar was the big boss but Caesar relied on Vergo to keep him safe. Reading over that fight again, Sanji was faster in that he managed to dodge Vergo and land his own kicks right to Vergo's face. Vergo bled from the mouth but stayed stoic. Sanji tried to shield a kick from Vergo and paid the price with a fractured leg. But it didn't stop the fight! Not only did the fight continue, Sanji continued to use the same leg. Vergo never landed a body blow in the way that Sanji landed hits on him. I to this day think that that was a good showing between the both of them. We found out that beyond Garp, Vice Admirals could still be menacing. And knowing Vergo's place in the story, as the man who killed Law's mentor, there was no way Oda was going to allow anyone to defeat Vergo but Law himself.

It was unfortunate that the fight finished inconclusively but more unfortunate than that was that Oda hasn't set up a full 1v1 for Sanji since. That goes for the majority of Straw Hats of course. I have enjoyed the chaos of multiple Straw Hats chipping in during big brawls but they don't have the same impact as any one of them going solo on some high level goon.

The wedding cake, the crying then, the crying now, the lusting over women, taking beatings from the Vinsmokes, Black Maria, many are calling it disrespect but for me it just makes the character more endearing. Oda's priorities have changed and I'm still glad Luffy always gets to fight with Zoro routinely right behind him but the loss of what the other members could have contributed battle wise is felt. There is often so much hasty travel/escape in these arcs, you'd think a few chapters of constant running could be traded for maybe 1 more substantial fight within an arc.

If Sanji should have an Epic fight with Jack, Queen or King and come out on top I wonder how much of Sanji's negative reception would change?
    Folks who read One Piece... Just better people. \_(ツ)_/

Likes the way you smile =D Retro's Avatar

Well on one hand, hated the repeat of Sanji having to be bailed out again and being a bump on a log in the meantime. Again there were ways around this, use the environment, just run if he could, trick her into getting stuck somewhere. But no, no, honor code and all that. Look I know Oda wants the characters to be consistent and males striking women is frowned on in Shonen. But just, I'm sorry, was annoying to read, I didn't like it in the Kalifa fight, I don't like it now and to me was nothing more then padding till the big rescue.

On the other won't say I didn't laugh a bit and was nice to see the level of trust between the crew that Sanji wasn't prideful enough to call for help. Robin's entrance was badass of course and I like that it was based on previous experiences of people trying to kill her. Of course she would find ways in and out of rooms due to being on the run most of her life. What's spider webs gonna do? Also there's that cockiness from the villains that signal the beginning of the end for them. Glad the others are catching on to the surveillance, looking forward to see how they turn that to their advantage. And Momo, Shinobu and Yamato are getting back into the fight. So yeah can't say it wasn't boring.

I'll split the difference and give it a 7, hated the first half, felt better around the second.
    Get nuts or go crazy trying.

He’s absolutely right though, Sanji’s not going to take out Jack

Because he’ll be to busy kicking the shit out of Queen

--------
    Oda is dangling too many carrots right now fucking give us the carrots!!!

Carrot 1: Kaido hybrid form
    Carrot 2: Definitely not Hiyori, Hiyori silhouette /s (#teamtoki)
    Carrot 3: Fukurokujo what are you doing???
    Carrot 4: fucking carrot what happened to the bunny!
    etc etc but those are my 4 carrots give them to me oda goddammit!

Quote Originally Posted by DarthAsthma View Post
    I see is that where it's from? I wonder was Oda being serious? Does Sanji taking on Page One count for anything? Or maybe what was the guy referencing, Sanji won't be as cool as what? I thought there was a lot of cool dialogue and fighting imagery during Whole Cake and Wano so far. Blocking the bullets from the little laughing girl, Page One, sitting on the giants head, clashing with King. None of those equate to his full fight finishers I suppose but what is the voice actor referencing?
    Folks who read One Piece... Just better people. \_(ツ)_/

Quote Originally Posted by RomanceDawn View Post
    I see is that where it's from? I wonder was Oda being serious? Does Sanji taking on Page One count for anything? Or maybe what was the guy referencing, Sanji won't be as cool as what? I thought there was a lot of cool dialogue and fighting imagery during Whole Cake and Wano so far. Blocking the bullets from the little laughing girl, Page One, sitting on the giants head, clashing with King. None of those equate to his full fight finishers I suppose but what is the voice actor referencing?
    The context of the interview was very jokey so my stance is take it more for the meme it is than 100% serious. But it the end I don't know for sure either since I wasn't there.

Even in the official chapter, jimbei pointed out my fear. CP0 know the exact location of robin now, BM's room on 3rd floor, away from the war, they can just go there and try to steal her.

That would lead to EL 2.0, this time shaped as revolutionaries arc with Dragon and sabo, since robin was with revos for 2 years and is the ''light of the revolution''. Would be like Alabasta-Dressrosa, not a full repeat since it also focuses on the present situation of revolutionaries with sabo and the other commanders captured.

I feel like there are a lot of things that Sanji could have said to bring Robin there and still keep her awesome entrance but not be so... Silly and pathetic. But it was probably done for comedy anyways.��

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    I was assuming it would be Sanji vs. Queen, but Sanji vs Jack seems probably now. If it does happen, i can't wait for all the people saying that Sanji isn't hurt as much as Jack.
    Jack fought the entire minks and Two Minks warlord that can be compared to Yonkou commanders in their Sulong form and you want to compare that to Sanji getting punched by knuckles? Jack was wheezing on his way to the samurais. If Sanji is paired with Jack, thats an unfair fight.
    IF YOU DIE, I'LL KILL YOU....

Quote Originally Posted by Kaido King of the Beasts View Post
    This was a pretty cool chapter...

...though the Sanji scene is a pretty mixed bag for me. On one hand, it definitely seems like Oda's intention was for Sanji to intentionally cry out for help with the knowledge and faith that Robin was capable enough to handle Black Maria. Robin's affirmation of such was a great moment, and when you think about it, it's a very nice character development for Sanji who, in both Baratie and Whole Cake Island, thought it was better to take abuse and die rather than trust in his crewmates to help him. On the other hand, the scene still loses a bit of its oomph considering that Sanji's entrapment is almost entirely of his own design, and so for this development to happen now unfortunately has the implications of him being pathetic even if Oda wants to portray the "can't-hit-woman" thing in a positive light.

Still, I think the good outweighs the bad in that scene especially considering that it's Robin's time to shine baby! Seeing her flashing her badass, dark comedy persona was something that was long missed. And we have Brook along for the ride, who will certainly have things to say about Black Maria's womanly charms but not to as great of a degree as Sanji. And if the man Sanji can snap out of this and save the Scabbards from Jack, I daresay I won't have disdain for this scene at all.
    Sorry but that just makes Sanji an idiot. He was there when Nami put her faith in him and the crew, he was there when Robin put her faith in the crew, he was there when Vivi put her faith in the crew, he knows his captain is on the path to become the pirate king and must at some point face the yonkou anyway yet he sacrifices himself and DOESN'T believe in his crewmates AT ALL after all that...
    Remember, remember, the 5th of November

I don't mind Sanji pleading for help. On the contrary, I think it's a positive thing to show a character who is usually strong and independent realize he's in a tight spot and call out for someone to help him. That Robin is that one person, and receives his full trust, is the best thing of all. And weird as this may sound, I'm glad Sanji's inability to hit women is at least portrayed as a liability. I'd rather have this than that nonsense in Dressrosa with Viola. Much as I hate it Oda isn't gonna change this facet of Sanji, so I'd rather have it be an Achilles heel than something that magically turns women to his side when he's in a pinch.

That said Sanji not being able to hit women is still one of the decisions I despise most in One Piece. Sanji shouldn't have gotten into that situation to begin with, and not even defending himself out of fear for "hurting her knuckles" is close to ruining the entire chapter.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information