+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 1,004: Millet Dumplings

Default Re: Chapter 1,004: Millet Dumplings

Quote Originally Posted by Kdom View Post
    It would also means Robin know in a very short time what these masks are used for and impersonate the girl
    so basically no problem for Robin to do then? She's an archeologist so she has to be able to note tiny details like that plus she's got years of experience doing espionage and undercover work.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhenja View Post
    The dude who visited Crocus.
    It might still be to early to reintroduce Scopper Gaban

Obviously, but that's the only reason I can imagine why Oda puts Sanji in such situations.

Besides Robins importance has been mentioned multiple times since Zou, so the chances are high that something happens to her, especially with Big Mom being there.

If you want to protect your friends you should be ready to throw your moral values over board.
    Oda will never put Sanji in a situation where he absolutely has to break that moral value. There will always be someone to make the save because as Oda has established in his world, Sanji's refusal to hit a woman comes from a virtuous place (his fatherly bond with Zeff). Everyone views it as Sanji's failure when Oda has continually used these instances to build up other Straw Hats. Like Sanji said in Enies Lobby, they can pick up each other's slack.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

Discovered Stowaway astagadragon's Avatar

The shadowy figure is obviously Hiyori, why Oda decided to shadow her for cheap cliffhanger...
    "The rain has ceased, and we have been graced by another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it." - Elidibus

After re-reading the chapter, I'm betting on Scooper Gaban being the mistery person, and he came with Marco, Neko and Izu on the boat.
    Perfect time for him to appear. We've seen more of roger's crew in this arc, we're still in need of more trump cards to deal with two Emperors.

But honestly I don't think the silhouette is a perfect match, I'm just hopeful.

It's far off from being a perfect match, Gaban has a very distinctive profile that is nothing like the silhouette

It's obviously Eneru.

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

Pretty sure Oda is setting us up to think or at least speculate that it's Toki, but it'll be Hiyori in the end. We have seen her tending wounds before after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    Tama's DF is so wrong here. I don't like heroes brainwashing people.
    Honestly the person who least deserves to be brainwashed is Speed, even if she is probably a villain like the rest. The others are all scum and I don't feel bad for them, case in point the scene were Daifugo encountered some former prisoners who got angry at him and he had to tell them it was "water under the bridge" which was pretty hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorPhil View Post
    Hate this chapter. Remember when the beast pirates were built up as the strongest pirate crew in the world, one of the ultimate challenges to the straw hats? Who are a threat to the world itself now that the yonko declared war on it? Pepperidge farm remembers. Now they're dumpstered by an 8 year old. nice yonko crew bro.
    I hardly feel the same way.

>One of the major focuses in Act 1 was the Beasts Pirates having a considerable interest in Tama due to her taming ability. I do kinda wish that plotline had relevance in the two years that have passed between then and now, but it was well established that Tama's power is of great significance to the Beasts Pirates.
    >Literally last chapter we got an overall battle update that showed the alliance is still pretty vastly outnumbered, with the All-Stars and Tobiroppo having the ability to take out hundreds of alliance soldiers at a time. Even if the Straw Hats/Marco/Drake keep the top officers busy, the other alliance members (most of whom can be just as much fodder as the lower-ranking Beasts Pirates) still have a lot on their hands. Tama's move helps even the playing field a bit.

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    May I ask what people would expect from Toki?

I think she had an amazing last moment during the flashback, with a really impactful final message. She was done escaping the present in hopes that someone or something would fix her problems, instead she made her last stand and played her part in the grand scheme of things.

For now I'm on the Hyori train and Robin is indeed next to Sanji.
    It was dummy dummy dumb to take some bullets instead of using hwr ultra practical for survival devil fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaido King of the Beasts View Post
    Pretty sure Oda is setting us up to think or at least speculate that it's Toki, but it'll be Hiyori in the end. We have seen her tending wounds before after all.
    For some reason I hadn't thought of that simple possibility.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

If this turns out to be the final chapter of volume 99, it's a pretty underwhelming note to end on after the extremely artistically impressive and exciting rooftop showdown. If it wouldn't have made the book too short, I would have said the last one was a perfect place to leave off. Maybe we're going to get 11 chapters for the first time in a while, just to get a better chapter in the end.

I had to go back to the earlier chapters to check if Tama's power had always been translated to millet dumplings in the official. Kibi dango had just been too reinforced by the community, I guess. I don't share the doom and gloom feelings a lot of others have about this development. Its been inevitable for a long time. It seems to only work on Gifters. We've been told there are only 500 Gifters, which is less than 2% of the 30,000 enemies on Onigashima. The control doesn't seem to overwrite the Gifter's real personality or cast them into some kind of Get Out sunken place, it just shifts their loyalties (which is still a violation, don't get me wrong, but far from the borderline evil complete mindwipe others are saying it is). It's a necessary development that brings back and pays off on earlier setup and contributes to the scales gradually tipping in the heroes' favour. It's good to see Daifugo again as well. He's a bit part, but I really like his character design.

Franky's fight in this chapter didn't quite work for me. Love seeing the crew fight, but compared to the spectacle and readability of the last few chapters, this is weak. Unlike the Kaido fight, which gives its huge main enemy space to breathe, the panelling here is incredibly cramped and doesn't always scan well. We don't see how Tama's Gifters disengage the armoured squad from Franky's legs, and as a result I'm not sure who it is that Sasaki charges through on the page 10-11 spread. His own guys? Tama's ones, who she just kamikaze'd to save Franky? (oh wow maybe there's more of an ethical image here than I thought) A mix of both as they fought? We almost need a visual clue to tell who's been dumpling'd and who hasn't.

Also it looks like Shueisha didn't scan the page properly. Where did this panel border go?

I liked seeing Nami deal a bit of damage to Ulti. After skipping to her and Usopp already being beaten before, having some of the back and forth onscreen is welcome. The need for stronger lightning implies she wants to take Zeus back, but it's hard to see that happening now. I'd rather she pull out something new Usopp invented or find something in the environment to use to up her voltage and win the fight that way. Keep Nami fighting smart, not just taking Big Mom's power again!

Sanji is doing Sanji stuff again. I don't care for this part of his characterisation, but I've said it all before. I'm done hoping for him to get over it. I could live with him not hurting women if he found other ways to dispatch them and worked around the issue, but here he is, easily beaten. Again. At least his vote of confidence in Robin is a good moment. Hell, the idea that Robin might go up against Black Maria is a pretty exciting one. I just wish we didn't have to go through this to get there.

The location of the Scabbards is really unclear. We're told "castle exterior" in the same panel they're placed on the second floor of the castle. Black Maria says her area is connected to where they are, and the castle isn't connected to any other structures, so in what way can the Scabbards possibly be exterior? Is this a translation issue?

King seems to be fighting at ground level in the middle of the Performance Floor. Likely making good on the threat of the executives wiping out hundreds of samurai at a time.

The obvious solution to for the Scabbards' helper is Hyori. The size, shape, emotions expressed and choice to use beng instead of doom for the sound effect don't really allow it to be anyone else. For a moment I had hope it would be the striped-kimono stranger who showed up with Marco and Neko (after having tea with Crocus), but the shape doesn't look like a match. I honestly can't tell how many of the people saying Enel are memeing. Some of them seem pretty serious about it.

So yeah, hate to be negative, but this is definitely the weakest chapter we've had in a while, and it definitely leaves a bad taste as the potential end of a volume. Fingers crossed we can get back to the high standard set by the last few weeks in the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    If this turns out to be the final chapter of volume 99, it's a pretty underwhelming note to end on after the extremely artistically impressive and exciting rooftop showdown. If it wouldn't have made the book too short, I would have said the last one was a perfect place to leave off. Maybe we're going to get 11 chapters for the first time in a while, just to get a better chapter in the end.
    I think Vol. 99 will have 11 chapters after seeing this one. If you look at the ends of volume-ending chapters, you'll notice they usually conclude with a big revealing panel or a DON! moment.

994: "My other name is Yamato!" moment with a big panel.
    984: Yamato reveal.
    974: "When you are at sea, you fight with pirates!"
    964: Roger appears!

And so on, most volumes end with a big hyping moment.

So, I guess volume 99 will instead end in Chapter 1,005. Maybe we will finally even get the end-of-Act curtains closing, or so I hope.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    Guys, we all saw Toki dying. Lots of people saw her dying.
    When and where? Didn't she ride off on a horse? Toki didn't die, after sending them to the future, she burst out of the castle riding a horse. Her image on the horse looks exactly like the person in the basement. Chapter 973.
    Last edited by Sereques; February 14th, 2021 at 07:57 PM.
    IF YOU DIE, I'LL KILL YOU....

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    I think Vol. 99 will have 11 chapters after seeing this one. If you look at the ends of volume-ending chapters, you'll notice they usually conclude with a big revealing panel or a DON! moment.

994: "My other name is Yamato!" moment with a big panel.
    984: Yamato reveal.
    974: "When you are at sea, you fight with pirates!"
    964: Roger appears!

And so on, most volumes end with a big hyping moment.

So, I guess volume 99 will instead end in Chapter 1,005. Maybe we will finally even get the end-of-Act curtains closing, or so I hope.
    My thinking exactly. The last three volumes have ended with 10 chapters so I was expecting this one to as well, but the content just doesn't line up. Still, it's gonna take a hell of a chapter not to feel like an anticlimax after those three straight chapters of the rooftop showdown.

Maybe Toki did die but maybe it's also still her. We don't really know how her DF truly works. Kaido has a Fish-Fish Fruit but can take the shape of a dragon so it's not beyond the realm of possibilities that a fully released Time-Time Fruit has abilities beyond what we know.

Quote Originally Posted by Sereques View Post
    When and where? Didn't she ride off on a horse? Toki didn't die, after sending them to the future, she burst out of the castle riding a horse. Her image on the horse looks exactly like the person in the basement. Chapter 973.
    She had arrows in her back and then got shot by a Beast Pirate, and then her body collapsed in front of a bunch of people who then proceeded to call out to her. And unlike Momo and the Scabbards, no one mentioned her body being missing.

It's weird in that we didn't actually get to see her dead body, but it's not like we're dealing with a Sabo situation here either. At any rate, even if you did believe Toki is alive, that is definitely not her at the end of this chapter.

Been said to death, but I'm really not a fan of Sanji's portrayl. The lamest thing is he doesn't even defend himself. I'm pretty sure he traded blows with Khalifa at Enies Lobby before getting caught by her power, but he doesn't even try anymore. Bleh.

If you want to protect your friends you should be ready to throw your moral values over board.
    I wonder how many people feel this way about Sanji yet wouldn't apply this principal to Tama. Not saying you do Zhenja. I just thought it was a pretty timely quote with the back and forth going on with Tama.

Quote Originally Posted by DatYute View Post
    Been said to death, but I'm really not a fan of Sanji's portrayl. The lamest thing is he doesn't even defend himself. I'm pretty sure he traded blows with Khalifa at Enies Lobby before getting caught by her power, but he doesn't even try anymore. Bleh.
    He didn't trade blows. He just blocked Khalifa like he blocked Big Mom.

Sanji won't kick a woman and to this day I absolutely love him for it. To each their own of course. When confronted with prominent female enemies Sanji may not have physically battered them but he dispatched them in his own unique way. Viola, Pudding and Big Mom.

Ultimately how Sanji deals with women in his own unique way generally results in a net positive for the crew. Now Oda could have written this situation any kind of way he wanted but he chose to have Sanji get captured by women and then have Sanji hype up Robin. That sells me on the whole situation. It almost promises a prominent Robin fight. We've been deprived for so long.
    Folks who read One Piece... Just better people. \_(ツ)_/

Quote Originally Posted by Joy Boy View Post
    Tama is an atrocious plot point.

I think Nami will find an opening to use a lightning from the rooftop. She'll redirect a lighting from Zeus onto Ulti to beat her.
    Zeus lightning has not kept a single person down so far, even with Big Mom using it. Judge, Orochi, All the supernova were all fine. So I wouldn't pin my hopes on Zeus doing anything worthwhile. Its like fire and explosions in this series. Nobody worth their salt stays down for those two.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

What? Where is Robin in that panel?

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

I have the feeling that Oda is purposely showing us these situations over and over again just to set up a point where Sanji has no other chance but to hit a woman.
    It feels like it's going to happen soon and Robin is going to be in a near death situation where Sanji has to act.
    That ship already sailed in Enies Lobby.

Quote Originally Posted by blindjustice View Post
    What? Where is Robin in that panel?
    Allegedly this is her

May I ask what people would expect from Toki?

I think she had an amazing last moment during the flashback, with a really impactful final message. She was done escaping the present in hopes that someone or something would fix her problems, instead she made her last stand and played her part in the grand scheme of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Blissed View Post
    Allegedly this is her

https://i.imgur.com/IBGYpvQ.png
    Hmm, I thought it was Oda's way of drawing women who look like Robin clones.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information