Closed Thread
Page 227 of 321 FirstFirst ... 127 177 217 225 226 227 228 229 237 277 ... LastLast
Results 4,521 to 4,540 of 6405

Thread: American Politics: So long Trump!

  1. #4521
    Your long-lost brother Jabra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    (ಥ ͜ʖ ಥ)

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirbycide View Post

    But, why would Biden do that? Unless it was something that he had to do, like for health reasons, I don’t see the point.
    Realization that he isn't fit to be president? Literally, physically? I mean no one in this forum is in danger of being swayed to vote for Trump so I can talk openly about it, but Biden's only qualities are being OLD and WHITE. And I guess "humble", if we want to sugarcoat his charisma that rivals a mummy.

    During the Democratic primaries I said they should just pick whoever has the best chances to beat Trump, regardless of agenda and ability. Be pragmatic, don't take any risks. But after watching yesterdays VP debate I truly feel bad ever thinking like that.
    Harris is smart, witty, well-prepared, charismatic, energetic - but not just for the sake of it, demanding, assertive but with a sense of decency, empathic but not melodramatic. She has everything I could personally ask for when it comes to the president of the united states, at least if we're ignoring actual political stances (the part about fracking was pure cringe from this side of the globe, but that's what it is, the other side of the globe...)




    Quote Originally Posted by Robby
    The 25th amendment allows a sitting president to give up their role to the next in line, usually reserved for when their health is in danger or they think they can't do the job right now for some reason. Generally its intended use is temporary but it could be used long term.

    It should be what is going on RIGHT NOW actually since Trump was hospitalized and is on heavy drugs right now that can massively affect your thinking (insert joke about how could you tell) , but he'd obviously never give up power willingly.

    Famously Nixon resigned because he knew the law was catching up to him and it would wreck the country for the office to go through what was coming... because whatever you have to say about Nixon, he had some sense of respect for stuff.

    Also, if you really wanted to do a in intentional hand off, you'd want to wait two years and a day. That way the next in line could still get two full terms. If they get the majority of a first term, then it counts as a full term.
    Curious, thank you.

    Two years it is then. As for why Biden should voluntarily do that, well I assume it would allow Harris to profile herself as the president for some time before the election campaign begins (instead of just playing second fiddle to Biden as the VP).
    Last edited by Jabra; October 8th, 2020 at 07:44 AM.

  2. #4522

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    Biden is over 70 years old, if something were to happen that the seat gets opened up, at the very least his vice is young and healthy.

    Watching the debate rn
    Hidden:
    holy crap Pence stop dragging your speeches on, the moderator says your time is up.

  3. #4523
    Discovered Stowaway Zeorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Unknown

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    I feel like the fly landing on Pence is a symbol for the plague that Pence was supposed to stop as the head of the Coronavirus taskforce and instead ushered in. Some great symbolism of him as Pestilence of the 4 Horsemen.

    Jabra, I assume you mean VP (Vice President) instead of VA? I live in the state of Virginia which is shortened to VA so that was confusing. Also, the VA refers to Veterans Affairs when it comes to government talk.
    Avatar Artist: Aapo Niemi

  4. #4524
    Your long-lost brother Jabra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    (ಥ ͜ʖ ಥ)

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeorn View Post

    Jabra, I assume you mean VP (Vice President) instead of VA?
    Haha yes, I meant VP of course. That's what you get when you switch between the manga section and the depressing real world forum!

  5. #4525

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    Haha yes, I meant VP of course. That's what you get when you switch between the manga section and the depressing real world forum!
    Imagine being buster called by the presidential line up

  6. #4526

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    U.s. health system is one that allows the rich to surpass what their original lifespan was supposed to be, Biden is one of those richies. he's good for two terms, heck, I could see him in the year 2027 trying to be candidate for a third term because he forgets he's already been president twice.

  7. #4527

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    Most important thing in a US election is that no one should under any circumstances have been born after 1970.

  8. #4528
    The Moustache Bandit Nolus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    In the moustachy shadows~

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    Age equals wisdom. Have you ever seen a foolish old person?


  9. #4529
    Button Pusher Shift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    Quote Originally Posted by Nolus View Post
    Age equals wisdom. Have you ever seen a foolish old person?
    Well, Trump, for one.



    Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

  10. #4530
    The Album Guy Nobodyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Virginia, US

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Most important thing in a US election is that no one should under any circumstances have been born after 1970.
    This country has precisely zero faith in anyone younger than 40

  11. #4531
    Someone call for Zeidoktor sgamer82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Middleton, ID

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    Being old and white does not, by itself, disqualify anyone from the role of president.

    Trump isn't a bad president because he's old and white. He's a bad president because he's a petty, narcissistic boob of a man.

    And, to get the obvious rebuttal out of the way, Biden is not senile as the right wing likes to claim, and anyone who wants to say otherwise should have more than armchair diagnosis.
    Last edited by sgamer82; October 8th, 2020 at 11:51 AM.
    Waldorf: You know Statler, after watching the last nine hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.
    Statler: No you haven't.
    Both: DOHOHOHOHOHO!

  12. #4532

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Most important thing in a US election is that no one should under any circumstances have been born after 1970.
    We've only had one President born after 1946.
    Complicating things since 2009.

  13. #4533

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    https://edition.cnn.com/2020/10/08/p...mer/index.html

    Wasn't this from an episode of Drake and Josh?

  14. #4534

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    I have not seen the full debate, but it really was annoying when Kamala Harris said she would not take a vaccine for Coronavirus if Trump announced it. Honestly, that was pretty ignorant, Trump doesn't even make the vaccine, doctors do. I would take the vaccine because I don't want to get Covid. It feels like it's making it about politics. I will watch the whole debate later on this week to see if she had any good points. At least there's no annoying interruptions and both peeps are being respectful to the other. Though I do want to see that fly on Mike Pence, I really bet that will be on the Saturday Night Live version very surely xD

    My AniList: https://anilist.co/user/starlalilymoon/
    Discord: starlalilymoon#3489 | Steam: starlalilymoon
    Avatar Information: Artist - カグレ; Character - Gardevoir; Series - Pokémon

  15. #4535

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    Quote Originally Posted by starlalilymoon View Post
    I have not seen the full debate, but it really was annoying when Kamala Harris said she would not take a vaccine for Coronavirus if Trump announced it. Honestly, that was pretty ignorant, Trump doesn't even make the vaccine, doctors do. I would take the vaccine because I don't want to get Covid. It feels like it's making it about politics. I will watch the whole debate later on this week to see if she had any good points. At least there's no annoying interruptions and both peeps are being respectful to the other. Though I do want to see that fly on Mike Pence, I really bet that will be on the Saturday Night Live version very surely xD
    Trump has peddled half a dozen fake cures that all have serious and potentially deadly side effects. He simply can't be trusted on the matter. His endorsement of any vaccine is irrelevant at this point and people should only take something if many medical experts endorse it.

    If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

  16. #4536
    Your long-lost brother Jabra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    (ಥ ͜ʖ ಥ)

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    Quote Originally Posted by starlalilymoon View Post
    I have not seen the full debate, but it really was annoying when Kamala Harris said she would not take a vaccine for Coronavirus if Trump announced it. Honestly, that was pretty ignorant, Trump doesn't even make the vaccine, doctors do. I would take the vaccine because I don't want to get Covid. It feels like it's making it about politics. I will watch the whole debate later on this week to see if she had any good points. At least there's no annoying interruptions and both peeps are being respectful to the other. Though I do want to see that fly on Mike Pence, I really bet that will be on the Saturday Night Live version very surely xD
    I think her argument was that she won't take a vaccine without broad scientific approval, that was the context of the statement. It's easy to get it wrong because she had to answer under time pressure, but she was definitely insinuating that Trump would try to push for an insecure vaccine that didn't go through the usual quality testing process (to put it simple). And this is not a baseless fear, in China people are already getting treated with rushed medication, while Putin distributed a vaccine that bypassed the most crucial step of regulation. Personally I have zero doubts that Trump would do the same if it's opportune or if he has his back against the wall ("miracle medicine"...).

    Just imagine Trump allowing a little researched vaccine to boost his approval ratings. If you're lucky it works, if it doesn't then thousands of people will be infected and die because of a false sense of security.
    But that's not even the worst case scenario! What if the rushed vaccine has unforseen side effects? Side effects that could cause long term damage or even death?
    Not only would people lose trust in the vaccine, but a certain group of people would also have a precedent they can point at to demonize ALL kind of vaccines. Decades of campaigning and pushing people to vac their kids, down the drain because your president needed to look good for a couple weeks.

    So she is right when she says that a vaccine promoted by Trump (and his closest cronies, even if they are doctors) should be taken with a grain truckload of salt.

  17. #4537

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    I also don't know if she said it in the debate or elsewhere but she said she would only take a vaccine if approved by Dr.Fauci.


    Also further proof that armed militias and white supremacists pose more of a threat to this country than people protesting institutionalized racism, discrimination, & sexism


    https://www.rawstory.com/2020/10/milita-plotted-to-kidnap-michigan-governor-as-part-of-violent-overthrow-of-government-fbi/


    Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    U.s. health system is one that allows the rich to surpass what their original lifespan was supposed to be, Biden is one of those richies. he's good for two terms, heck, I could see him in the year 2027 trying to be candidate for a third term because he forgets he's already been president twice.
    Biden's net worth is around 9 million that's substantially less than the Jerry Jones, Betsy Devos, Sheldon Adelsons, Mark Zuckerbergs, & Jeff Bezos of world.
    Last edited by Green_vs_Red; October 8th, 2020 at 01:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284




  18. #4538

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    Pence has cancelled all of his campaign events and is flying back to Washington.

    Pelosi is going to be discussing the 25th Amendment tomorrow.

    What is going on?!

    Quote Originally Posted by starlalilymoon View Post
    I have not seen the full debate, but it really was annoying when Kamala Harris said she would not take a vaccine for Coronavirus if Trump announced it. Trump doesn't even make the vaccine, doctors do
    That's actually the right call. Trump has peddled a whole bunch of fakes, and he's strongly pushing theFDA to put something out that hasn't been tested at all so he can have SOEMTHING before the election, even though we're still at least a year away from anything being viable.

    So actually, in this case, yes, it WOULD be Trump making the vaccine, not doctors. Because's he demanding literally anthing that could be *called* a cure be put out, no matter how innefective.
    Last edited by Robby; October 8th, 2020 at 02:39 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

  19. #4539

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    So apparently Trump has taken umbrage to the idea of doing a virtual debate because of his positive diagnosis so Biden will be doing a town hall instead.

    https://www.rawstory.com/2020/10/bid...out-president/

    And yes for added irony and hypocrisy Trump did months earlier accuse Biden of wanting to use Covid to get out of the debates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284




  20. #4540

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwok View Post
    Trump has peddled half a dozen fake cures that all have serious and potentially deadly side effects. He simply can't be trusted on the matter. His endorsement of any vaccine is irrelevant at this point and people should only take something if many medical experts endorse it.
    Well, honestly I don't trust Biden either, but I'm not gonna stop taking a vaccine because I don't trust him. Honestly, at this point if Dr. Fauci, head of the CDC says not to take the vaccine from Trump, then I won't take it. Just because Trump made mistakes in the past, doesn't mean he would be wrong every time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    I think her argument was that she won't take a vaccine without broad scientific approval, that was the context of the statement. It's easy to get it wrong because she had to answer under time pressure, but she was definitely insinuating that Trump would try to push for an insecure vaccine that didn't go through the usual quality testing process (to put it simple). And this is not a baseless fear, in China people are already getting treated with rushed medication, while Putin distributed a vaccine that bypassed the most crucial step of regulation. Personally I have zero doubts that Trump would do the same if it's opportune or if he has his back against the wall ("miracle medicine"...).
    I see. Well, medicine is all about risk. And it's not like Trump is making the vaccine, a bunch of doctors are making it. It's about trail and error from what I know about vaccines. I don't trust Trump, but I'm not gonna not get a vaccine if I'm provided with one. It does feels like an agenda to make Trump worse than what he is actually. Honestly, if Dr. Fauci says not to take it, then I follow what he says. I feels like it's a bit fear mongering, no offense.

    Just imagine Trump allowing a little researched vaccine to boost his approval ratings. If you're lucky it works, if it doesn't then thousands of people will be infected and die because of a false sense of security.
    Well, I see the vaccine coming at the end of this year, way after the election is over to be honest.

    But that's not even the worst case scenario! What if the rushed vaccine has unforseen side effects? Side effects that could cause long term damage or even death?
    Well, I don't think it be rushed... and even if we waited a bit longer, there still be a case of unforeseeable affects.

    Not only would people lose trust in the vaccine, but a certain group of people would also have a precedent they can point at to demonize ALL kind of vaccines. Decades of campaigning and pushing people to vac their kids, down the drain because your president needed to look good for a couple weeks.
    Well, people will lose trust in the vaccine if politicians tell you not to take them, so um.... it be bad either way.

    So she is right when she says that a vaccine promoted by Trump (and his closest cronies, even if they are doctors) should be taken with a grain truckload of salt.
    I don't think she is right.... It still feels like she is trying to push an agenda to make Trump look more bad than he actually is. I get what you saying, but honestly I disagree.

    And that's a bit silly, to reject doctors who are friends with Trump. Who cares if they know him or not, I care about what their job is not who they are friends with or no. That's honestly irrelative.

    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Pence has cancelled all of his campaign events and is flying back to Washington.

    Pelosi is going to be discussing the 25th Amendment tomorrow.

    What is going on?!
    Source?

    That's actually the right call. Trump has peddled a whole bunch of fakes, and he's strongly pushing theFDA to put something out that hasn't been tested at all so he can have SOEMTHING before the election, even though we're still at least a year away from anything being viable.
    Well, I don't think it is. Just because he had fake cures in the past, doesn't mean this one is. And I feel like the vaccine will be after the election not before. I feel like it be at least by the end of this year. And here's a question for you, what if Biden himself promotes a vaccine after he wins election? Will you still have the same argument for him, or you change your cue because it's Biden and not Trump?

    So actually, in this case, yes, it WOULD be Trump making the vaccine, not doctors. Because's he demanding literally anthing that could be *called* a cure be put out, no matter how innefective.
    I really don't see that at all. It's still being created by doctors even if it comes out early than predicted. Unless Dr. Fauci tells us that's it bad, then I listen to him and not take it. I just think it's a bad move by Kamala Harris really because it still feels like she is saying "vaccines are bad" and anti-vaxxers could honestly use that to justify it's bad.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    So apparently Trump has taken umbrage to the idea of doing a virtual debate because of his positive diagnosis so Biden will be doing a town hall instead.

    https://www.rawstory.com/2020/10/bid...out-president/

    And yes for added irony and hypocrisy Trump did months earlier accuse Biden of wanting to use Covid to get out of the debates.
    Well damn. He is being an hypocrite. Well, at least Biden won't get the virus, plus this is gonna give him bonus points with voters too, I bet.

    My AniList: https://anilist.co/user/starlalilymoon/
    Discord: starlalilymoon#3489 | Steam: starlalilymoon
    Avatar Information: Artist - カグレ; Character - Gardevoir; Series - Pokémon

Closed Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts