+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 63 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1347

Thread: American Politics: A Brand New Day

Default Re: American Politics: A Brand New Day

Quote Originally Posted by sgamer82 View Post
    To be honest I usually just don't have a lot to say. I'm usually content to drop the current WTF Just Happened Today or whatever catches my eye. My main rule is provide enough information that, even if nobody clicks the link itself, people have an idea of what's going on. It's also why I'll occasionally jump in with extra info on a link that's just dropped.

I think in this instance it's the feeling of "whataboutism" that Kirbycide describes that prompted me. That's just not a valid argument in my eyes anymore.
    I understand all of this too well both in real life and digital life.

Biden pays homage to Obama by rocking tan suit during birthday week – President Biden made waves on social media on Friday after donning a tan suit during his jobs report announcement in apparent homage to former President Obama.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...uring-birthday

Okay this is, perhaps, a bit petty, but I can't help but love it nonetheless.

For context, the wearing of atan suit was one of many nontroversies Republicans tried to hit Obama with.
    In the interest of fairness the tan suit did nothing for Obama but yeah the stupidity levels were strong with the dialog on that subject.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Someone call for Zeidoktor sgamer82's Avatar

Something less petty

9/11 families to President Biden: Don't come to our memorial events
    Nearly 1,800 victims’ relatives, first responders and survivors are calling on Biden to refrain from attending any memorials over his refusal to release Sept. 11 documents.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...orial-n1276138

An Excerpt
    Nearly 1,800 Americans directly affected by the*Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks*are opposing President Joe Biden’s participation in any memorial events this year unless he upholds his pledge to declassify U.S. government evidence that they believe may show a link between Saudi Arabian leaders and the attacks.

The victims’ family members,*first responders*and survivors will release a statement Friday calling on Biden to skip 20th-anniversary events in New York and Shanksville, Pennsylvania, and at the Pentagon unless he releases the documents, which they believe implicate Saudi officials in supporting the acts of terrorism. The group says that as a candidate Biden pledged to be more transparent and release as much information as possible but that his administration has since then ignored their letters and requests.

“We cannot in good faith, and with veneration to those lost, sick, and injured, welcome the president to our hallowed grounds until he fulfills his commitment,” they wrote*in a statement obtained by NBC News.

“Since the conclusion of the 9/11 Commission in 2004 much investigative evidence has been uncovered implicating Saudi government officials in supporting the attacks,” the statement says. “Through multiple administrations, the Department of Justice and the FBI have actively sought to keep this information secret and prevent the American people from learning the full truth about the 9/11 attacks.”

Among the documents the group seeks are supporting evidence found during a widespread FBI investigation into the attacks that examined alleged Saudi links and was completed in 2016.
    Waldorf: You know Statler, after watching the last nine hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.
    Statler: No you haven't.
    Both: DOHOHOHOHOHO!

You know what, those families are probably right about the Saudi involvement with fundamentalist terrorism. To bad their oil is just to easy to process and the US need so much of it that they can do nothing about it.

For context, the wearing of atan suit was one of many nontroversies Republicans tried to hit Obama with.
    I saw a video talking about this and the apparent "mustardgate", how Republicans can't dare AGREE with a democrat president's more controversial actions, so they have to invent nonsense like this. Like how some pundits were moaning that Biden would ban red meat because something something green new deal.

These nontroversies soften the actual news-worthy things and just make right wing news look even more like a parody of itself.

Quote Originally Posted by pariston_hill View Post
    Red is left, Salmon is Center-Left, Grey is center, Light Blue is Center-Right and Blue is Right to far right (PSL). But the majority of the Center parties lean to the right, and their own economical self interests.
    Yikes. Also the colors are just another reminder that in the end, red or blue = this side is ultimately arbitrary loool.

Quote Originally Posted by MetaMario View Post
    Yikes. Also the colors are just another reminder that in the end, red or blue = this side is ultimately arbitrary loool.
    It's really arbitrary, because in the case of Lula he was loved by the majority of the corporate class due to the strong economic based on a high price of commodities while investing in education & culture, and doing some butchered attempt at social programs.

News from yesterday's WTF Just Happened Today: https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday...08/06/day-199/

Day 199: Extended.

1/ The Biden administration is considering withholding federal funds, among other measures, in order to spur vaccinations. The moves, if adopted, would amount to a dramatic escalation in the effort to vaccinate the roughly 90 million Americans who are eligible for shots but remain unvaccinated. (Washington Post)

2/ The Biden administration extended the freeze on federal student-loan payments through January 2022. The pandemic relief, which suspends monthly loan payments and interest for 42 million Americans, had been set to expire at the end of September. The administration said this is the last time it will extend the freeze. (Bloomberg / Politico / The Hill)

3/ Nearly 1,800 victims’ relatives, first responders and survivors of 9/11 are calling on Biden to refrain from attending any memorials unless he upholds his pledge to declassify U.S. government evidence that they believe may show a link between Saudi Arabian leaders and the attacks. (NBC News)

4/ A woman who accused NY Gov. Andrew Cuomo of groping her last year has filed a criminal complaint with the Albany County sheriff’s department. The complaint from the woman, an executive assistant whose name has not been publicized, increases the possibility that Cuomo could face criminal charges. (New York Times)

5/ The select committee investigating the 1/6 insurrection is weighing whether to pursue call logs from the Trump White House on the day of the riot. If they pursue the logs, Biden would ultimately have to determine whether the records should be covered by executive privilege or qualify as essential evidence for the ongoing probe. (CNN)
    Waldorf: You know Statler, after watching the last nine hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.

California GOP won't endorse a candidate in Newsom recall

There are 24 Republicans on the recall ballot.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/ele...ecall-n1276266

An Excerpt:
    Spoiler:
    The California Republican Party voted overwhelmingly Saturday not to endorse any candidate in the looming recall election that could remove Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom from office, sidestepping a potentially nasty fight over a GOP favorite that threatened to divide Republicans and depress turnout in the nationally watched race.

The lopsided vote to skip an endorsement — supported by about 90 percent of delegates attending at a virtual party meeting — reflected concerns that an internal feud among candidates and their supporters would cleave party ranks and sour Republicans who wouldn’t bother to vote if their candidate of choice was snubbed.

There are 24 Republicans on the recall ballot, with leading contenders including talk radio host Larry Elder, former San Diego mayor Kevin Faulconer, businessman John Cox, state legislator Kevin Kiley, former Olympian and reality TV personality Caitlyn Jenner and former congressman Doug Ose.

Two of the state party’s most powerful figures –- Republican National Committee members Harmeet Dhillon and Shawn Steel -– earlier helped set the stage for an endorsement vote. But they reversed course Friday and urged delegates to avoid it.

“The polls are showing that the recall is in a statistical tie, and we cannot afford to discourage voters who are passionate about a particular candidate, yet may not vote because their favored candidate didn’t receive the endorsement,” they warned in an email obtained by The Associated Press.

In the recall election, voters will be asked two questions: First, should Newsom be removed, yes or no? The second question will be a list of replacement candidates from which to choose. If a majority votes for Newsom’s removal, the candidate who gets the most votes on the second question becomes governor.

Republicans feared that fallout from an endorsement squabble could sap support from the critical first question on the ballot – whether or not to remove Newsom. If that vote fails to reach a majority, the results on the second question are irrelevant and the governor retains his job.

The party’s decision was not without risk. Republican voter registration in the heavily Democratic state is a paltry 24 percent. Some party leaders believed the best route to victory in the Sept. 14 election was concentrating the GOP’s money and volunteers behind a single candidate.

Texas Democrats continue holdout, don’t show for new session

https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden...09c4b7a4ea5f7d

Spoiler:
    Texas Democrats still refused to return to the state Capitol on Saturday as Gov. Greg Abbott began a third attempt at passing new election laws, prolonging a monthslong standoff that ramped up in July when dozens of Democratic state lawmakers left the state and hunkered down in Washington, D.C.

“A quorum is not present,” said Republican House Speaker Dade Phelan, who then adjourned the chamber until Monday.

More than 50 Democrats last month bolted to the nation’s capital, but the precise whereabouts of each of them is unclear. In a joint statement Saturday, Democrats said 26 of them would remain “part of an active presence in Washington maintained for as long as Congress is working.”

But there were also signs the stalemate may be thawing. Two of the Democrats who decamped last month returned to Austin Saturday, and one of them said enough of his colleagues may also begin trickling back to secure a quorum next week. And, notably, Republicans did not invoke a procedural move that would give Phelan the authority to sign arrest warrants for missing lawmakers, as they did when the Democrats left town.

Democratic state Rep. Eddie Lucio III said those who might return were feeling the pull of personal and professional demands.

“I was encouraged that the baton would be carried by my Washington colleagues at the federal level, that there would be sweeping reform nationwide,” Lucio III said.

Republican state. Rep. Jim Murphy, chairman of the House Republican Caucus, also believed that more Democrats would come back in the coming days.

“People are talking to their friends, and we think we’re going to see quite a few more,” he said.

It was not just Democrats who were absent Saturday: Six Republicans were also out, including one who recently tested positive for COVID-19.

Heading into the weekend, Democratic leaders had not committed to sitting out the entire 30-day session, leaving open the possibility that enough could return at some point to end the standoff. Republicans want to advance an overhaul of elections in Texas under legislation that largely remains the same despite the months of walkouts and protests by Democratic lawmakers.

Texas would ban 24-hour polling locations, drive-thru voting and give partisan poll watchers more access under the bill that Republicans were on the brink of passing in May. But that effort was foiled by Democrats abruptly leaving the Capitol in a late-night walkout.

Democrats made a bigger gambit — by decamping to Washington on chartered jets — to run out the clock on the GOP’s second try. Democrats had hoped to exert pressure on President Joe Biden and Congress to pass federal voting rights legislation, but a Senate Republican filibuster continues to block such a measure.

Democrat Jasmine Crockett, one of the state representatives remaining in Washington, said she would be disappointed if enough of her colleagues returned to give Republicans a quorum next week. She said their group is not “naive” and knows they don’t have the votes to permanently hold off passage of a bill in Texas, but are still hoping for movement in Congress.

“I’m not giving up on anything. I’m not going home until the fat lady sings,” Crockett said.

Biden never met with the Texas Democrats in Washington. The group was quickly forced to change some plans after several of their members tested positive for COVID-19. Reports that two Democrats snuck away to Europe also led to bad headlines and invited mockery from Republicans back home.

There has been a recent sharp surge in COVID-19 infections in Texas, where the number of people hospitalized with the virus stands at more than 8,500 patients, the highest number since February. But Abbott is adamant that Texas will not bring back pandemic restrictions or mask mandates and has prohibited schools from requiring face coverings. Many of the state’s 5 million students are scheduled to return to classrooms this month.

Die Hard Trump Supporters Increasingly Demand Violence If He Isn’t Reinstated, Homeland Security Warns

“Conspiracy theories associated with reinstating former President Trump have included calls for violence if desired outcomes are not realized,” a bulletin sent to states from the Department of Homeland Security said

https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...tated-1209136/

Spoiler:
    The Department of Homeland Security issued a warning on Friday: believers in the false conspiracy theory that Trump will be reinstated have increased their calls for violence if the former president isn’t back in the White House soon.

“Some conspiracy theories associated with reinstating former President Trump have included calls for violence if desired outcomes are not realized,” the DHS bulletin, obtained by ABC News, said.

The bulletin went on to say that the recent increase in “public visibility” of liars like the My Pillow guy, Mike Lindell, is the reason for the uptick in violent online chatter.

Lindell continues to relentlessly push the Big Lie that the election was stolen, going so far as to say that he expects the Supreme Court to unanimously rule in favor of reinstating Trump as president in August.

“Over the last few days what has occurred is there’s been much more public visibility, meaning the discussions and these theories have migrated away from being contained within the conspiracy and extremist online communities, to where they’re being the topic of discussion on web forums, or more public web forums, and even within the sort of media ecosystem,” a senior DHS official told ABC News.

The drunk-on-Trump crowd has been triggered so much that Homeland Security says they are concerned about the calls for violence increasing further.

“As public visibility of the narratives increases, we are concerned about more calls to violence… Past circumstances have illustrated that calls for violence could expand rapidly in the public domain and may be occurring outside of publicly available channels. As such, lone offenders and small groups of individuals could mobilize to violence with little-to-no warning,” the bulletin said.

The DHS added that although they do not have specifics of an imminent threat, their “reporting indicates that the timing for these activities may occur during August 2021, although we lack information on specific plots or planned actions.”

Also on Friday, the U.S. Capitol Police said they were aware of an upcoming rally at the Capitol that a former data chief for Trump’s 2016 campaign, Matt Braynard, is promoting. Appearing on Steve Bannon’s podcast, Braynard talked about the #JusticeForJ6 rally, which is planned for September 18, in support of people who have been arrested in connection with the January 6th attack. “We’re going back to the Capitol, right where it started. And it’s going to be huge,” Braynard told Bannon.

There are 24 Republicans on the recall ballot.

Nice to see these dumbasses haven't learned from 2003 or 2015.
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post

Nice to see these dumbasses haven't learned from 2003 or 2015.
    I'm not entirely sure about that. The assumption seems to be that they risk depression turnout more by rallying behind a single candidate at this stage than they do by not. Dunno if that's accurate or not, but the logic seems sound. Though if the Democrats only do one candidate it may cost them. On the other hand, they wont he last time there was a recall and they had 2 Republicans splitting the vote there, too (that's when Schwarzenegger was elected)

Oh I understand the idea of the California Republican party not endorsing a single candidate the problem is why are there 24 candidates running in a election. Especially when we've seen what happens when you have multiple shitty candidates running in an election you sometimes wind up having the worse/least qualified candidate win the nomination and ultimately the election.

https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday...08/09/day-202/

Day 202: "Force protection and readiness."

1/*The Pentagon will require all members of the U.S. military to get the COVID vaccine by September 15.*Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin said the mid-September deadline could be accelerated if the vaccine receives final FDA approval or infection rates continue to rise. “Getting vaccinated against COVID-19 is a key force protection and readiness issue,” Gen. Mark Milley wrote. (Associated Press)

https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden...41f6e34a3a2669

2/*A Texas judge blocked the arrest of Democratic legislators who fled the state to stop the GOP from imposing new voting restrictions.*State District Judge Brad Urrutia, a Democrat, signed a temporary restraining order late Sunday in a case newly filed by 19 Texas House Democrats against Gov. Greg Abbott and House Speaker Dade Phelan, both Republicans, who have called for arrests to restore a quorum in the House. (Texas Tribune*/*Washington Post)

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/08...ecial-session/

3/*Senate Democrats unveiled a budget resolution that includes $3.5 trillion in spending boosts and tax breaks aimed at strengthening social and environmental programs.*The measure lays the groundwork for separate legislation later this year that over a decade would pour mountains of federal resources into Democrats’ top priorities. Included would be more money for health care, education, family services and environmental programs and tax breaks for families, with much of it paid for with tax increases on the rich and corporations. (Associated Press*/*Politico)

https://apnews.com/article/senate-de...a8f439c039b5a0

4/*Trump’s former acting attorney general testified about Trump’s efforts to subvert the 2020 election. Jeffrey Rosen had a two-hour meeting with the Justice Department’s office of the inspector general and provided closed-door testimony to the Senate Judiciary Committee on Saturday. (New York Times)

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/07/u...-election.html

5/*A top aide to NY Gov. Andrew Cuomo resigned in the wake of the state attorney general’s report on Cuomo’s sexual harassment.*The departure of Melissa DeRosa, who held the title of secretary to the governor, is considered a huge blow to Cuomo. The investigation into allegations of harassment by the New York governor also detailed DeRosa’s role in an effort to discredit one of Cuomo’s accusers. (Washington Post)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...e6a_story.html

Well, fuck. I mean, not in that he's taking responsibility for his sexual harassment problems, but will the new governor do as well as he has so far?

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo resigns after sexual harassment allegations

Facing an impeachment inquiry, the governor will now leave office in 14 days.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...signs-n1260310

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    Well, fuck. I mean, not in that he's taking responsibility for his sexual harassment problems, but will the new governor do as well as he has so far?
    This is like wondering if Biden would do a better job than Trump.

Yeah. Any success he had managing Covid is mitigated by the whole "lying about nursing home deaths" issue that came out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiolino View Post
    This is like wondering if Biden would do a better job than Trump.
    Considering the last time we had a Governor step down because of scandal who was replaced by a guy that was for the most part useless the concern is reasonable.

Granted Elliot Spitzer wasn’t around long to become as divisive and shitty as Cuomo did but still.

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    I mean Cuomo hasn't done well.

He's a terrible governor.

He wrote a fucking book about "Look how well i did in the pandemic" in the middle of the pandemic.

He's a clown I'm glad is gone.

At least the poetic justice here is we now get our first female governor as a result of Cuomo's resignation.

This is also GREAT for the upcoming election.

Current Republican frontrunner, my current congressman Lee Zeldin has been running a campaign ENTIRELY around Cuomo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    A magical strange Twilight Zone episode where no other education is offered, and the only option is Bill Nye the Science Guy videos

Quote Originally Posted by Md-Martin View Post
    At least the poetic justice here is we now get our first female governor as a result of Cuomo's resignation.
    This is true. Kinda like how Boston currently has it's first Black, female mayor after Biden stole Walsh from us for his cabinet. She's running for a full term and I hope she gets it. (sadly cannot vote for her as I don't actually live in Boston)

https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday...08/11/day-204/

Day 204: "A badge of honor."

1/ The Senate passed a $3.5 trillion budget plan that includes a sweeping expansion of the social safety net. The 92-page blueprint, which would expand Medicaid, provide free preschool and community college, and fund climate change programs, passed along party lines. The blueprint sets in motion a perilous legislative process aimed at creating the largest expansion of the federal safety net in nearly six decades. (New York Times / Politico)

2/ Cuomo announced his resignation in an effort to head off a likely impeachment after a devastating report found he sexually harassed 11 women. “Wasting energy on distractions is the last thing that state government should be doing,” the three-term governor of New York said in a video address. “And I cannot be the cause of that.” (Washington Post)

3/ The federal government sent ventilators to Florida even as Gov. Ron DeSantis says he’s unaware of the shipment. A health administration official confirms the Strategic National Stockpile sent 200 ventilators and 100 high-flow nasal cannula kits to the state of Florida “earlier this week.” (CNN)

4/ California is the first state to require teachers and school staff to be vaccinated against the coronavirus or submit to regular testing in order to return to school. Gov. Gavin Newsom cited the surging delta variant, which has challenged plans for the opening of school this fall. Data, he said, shows the safety and effectiveness of the vaccines. (Washington Post)

5/ The Texas House speaker signed arrest warrants for the state Democrats who broke quorum over impending GOP voting restrictions. The move followed approval of a House motion to send for absent members, which enabled Phelan to issue the warrants. The Texas Supreme Court on Tuesday also stayed a trial court judge’s ruling that would have protected absent Democrats from arrest. (Washington Post)

6/ A federal judge says Trump’s accountants must turn over his tax records to the House of Representatives. A federal judge in Washington ruled that Trump must disclose certain financial records held by his accounting firm Mazars in response to a subpoena from congressional Democrats. The judge approved a subpoena for Trump’s records covering 2017 and 2018, but turned down most of the panel’s request for similar information dating back to 2011. (Politico / Bloomberg)

7/ Biden nominated Damian Williams to be the next U.S. Attorney in Manhattan. The selection is part of a slate of nominations for top law enforcement posts in the country, including for three offices that tend to investigate the Justice Department’s most prominent cases. (New York Times)

8/ YouTube suspended Sen. Rand Paul over a video that falsely claims masks are ineffective at preventing the spread of the coronavirus. The suspension was “a badge of honor,” Paul tweeted. (NBC News)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information