+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 57 FirstFirst ... 40 48 49 50 51 52 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1128

Thread: American Politics: A Brand New Day

Default Re: American Politics: A Brand New Day

Speaking of slavery, it still exists to this very day, but we blindly don't think about it. It is all the different prisons in the United States. I'm not sure how it is in other countries, but once you go to prison in the United States you are fucked and treated like garbage because you made a mistake. You are paid very little to none if you do any work at your stay in prison. But no one seems to care because "criminals", but I'm sorry even criminals deserve to be treated humanely. Prisons or jails is supposed to rehabilitate you back to the real world, but the fact is, even if you get out of that situation and try to start over, it be hard to find a job because background checks, which I think should be removed.

We should not judge people's mistakes of the past, especially after they did their time. I can go on how the United State's prisons/jails are awful, but also learning that it was an exemption from slavery when we had the 13th Amendment is not right either. Every person deserves to be treated like a human being no matter what horrible deeds you have done. If we treat prisoners awful, we are no better than what bad thing they have done. Too bad that everyone in the American government, Democrat or Republican don't seem to give a flying fuck.
    Last edited by starlalilymoon; August 1st, 2021 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Removed other post, as it was a misunderstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch View Post
    When you look at people it's harder to say they're evil than when you look at some deeds. Churchill fought against the nazis, but was pro-colony and such. Many US presidents owned slaves...

You're pinpointing absolutely wrong behaviors. And I'm not gonna argue against them.

I think I have more of a cultural problem with "good vs evil".

Overall, it's more like "good vs evil" is something that usually comes out of a Republican's mouth when they want to go on war. Wether it's Reagan, Bush or Trump. It's a simplistic and problematic view of the world.
    Maybe but wanting people to struggle if not outright die unnecessarily while you're insulated from the same thing or worse profiting from it.

Is still screwed up complex or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Discovered Stowaway Dorobō Neko's Avatar

Has the GOP been evil for decades ?
    Started more or less with Nixon and has only gotten worse and worse.

From The Newsroom.

Taylor Warren: Who did you vote for today?

Will McAvoy: You know I’m not answering that.

Taylor: I thought you might because you revealed your party affiliation on the air last year.

Will: I did. I identified myself as a Republican because I thought it was fair to give the viewer given the commentary I was delivering.

Taylor: A commentary that ended with you calling the Tea Party the American Taliban.

Will: Yes.

Taylor: And in the body of the commentary was a blistering indictment of Republicans.

Will: Exactly the opposite. It was a blistering indictment of people who aren’t Republicans.

Taylor: Well, who is to say who is and who is-

Will: On that night, I did.

Taylor: I want to remind you that you asked me to pursue this area.

Will: I understand.

Taylor: And I’m wondering, with all respect, do you call yourself a Republican so you can make a claim to credibility when you attack the GOP?

Will: No. I call myself a Republican because I am one. I believe in market solutions and I believe in common sense realities and the necessity to defend ourselves against a dangerous world and that’s about it. The problem now is that I have to be homophobic. I have to count the number of times people go to church. I have to deny facts and think scientific research is a long con. I have to think poor people are getting a sweet ride. And I have to have such a stunning inferiority complex that I fear education and intellect, in the 21st century.

But most of all, the biggest new requirement, really the only requirement, is that I have to hate Democrats. And I have to hate Chris Christie for not spitting on the president when he got off Air Force One.

The two party system is crucial to the whole operation. There’s honor in being the loyal opposition. And I’m a Republican for the same reasons you are.
    Republicans, as people, broadly speaking, are fine. Blatantly lied to, brainwashed, and thus misinformed, but not inherently bad. I grew up in Texas, half the people I know are conservative or Republican. Including my parents. (My dad is libertarian and my mom doesn't vote.) But most of them don't agree with the modern version of the party.

That said.

The people republicans elect are, by and large, incompetent, evil, and want us poor and dead. And they keep electing them. Which in turn screws everyone else over.

if this was a recent development you could credit it to one conman convincing people of a scapegoat, but its been the pattern for *decades*. And that counts when the parties switched during the civil rights movement and they changed which one was the conservative party.

Toss in the fact that the way the senate/electoral college is divided (decided over 200 years ago! With only 13 states! And before California and Texas!) gives about 15% of the population nearly 45% of the representation which allows the system to be completely busted by a tiny minority.

There was a time when Republicans were the ones who created the idea of national parks, who were the ones who passed the Clean Water Act and the Clean Air Act and the Endangered Species Act, and spoke in their State of the Union addresses about “the absolute necessity of waging all-out war against the debauching of the environment.”

Now they won't even admit to the *possibility* of climate change.
    Last edited by Robby; August 1st, 2021 at 10:10 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

I read about a couple things Nixon did that I liked, and I feel weird about it. I read that Nixon was the one who established the Environmental Protection Agency and also ended the draft.

That isn't to defend him. He was absolutely corrupt and messed up. Watergate, the Southern Strategy, the Kent State shootings, starting the war on drugs, racism (see also: Southern Strategy and war on drugs) and homophobia, and I also heard he tried to get somebody assassinated but I don't know if that last one is true.

It just feels weird, knowing all the bad stuff Nixon did, then you have those other two things. I've heard the phrase "a black mark on their career" to describe when a world-renowned figure in their field either did something really unethical or just had one time where a project absolutely bombed, and this feels like the inverse of that, where Nixon's entire career was a black mark except for those odd instances.
    I accept Jesus Burgess as my Lord and Savior

I also learned that Nixon had really bad anxiety and paranoia, which might explain why he had phone calls recorded, etc. I think he had a poor love life too, I don't think him and Mrs. Nixon slept in the same bed, unless I'm thinking of some other president, correct me if I'm wrong.

I do like Nixon but for the good things and not the bad things. Like stuff with China, ending the war in Vietnam, etc. and not Watergate. Speaking of which, what was Watergate about? I think he was just spying on the Democrats? Or is there more to it? I really need to read more books about current history. >~<

Quote Originally Posted by Medical Orbit View Post
    and I also heard he tried to get somebody assassinated but I don't know if that last one is true.
    I think that may have been John Lennon? I believe Lennon was being stalked by Nixon's men or something? I don't remember exactly, but I think it may have been because of Nixon's paranoia.

You don't just spy on the Democrats for fun. When you have the CIA spy on the big opposition party, there's something called a coup d'état that comes off. There's one of your guys here who used to compare Nixon to Napoleon the third (who made a coup while he was president). Anyway, the dude also turned Chile into a dipshit FAR-RIGHTY dictatorship.

Nixon was basically an un-official far-right winger

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by starlalilymoon View Post
    I think that may have been John Lennon? I believe Lennon was being stalked by Nixon's men or something? I don't remember exactly, but I think it may have been because of Nixon's paranoia.
    Jimmy Hendrix would make more sense imo
    Every nation gets the government it deserves.---- Joseph de Maistre

To be honest, my favorite president is Obama. I really did enjoy his speeches, they were very motivational and can bring you up. My least favorite president is Trump, he didn't do anything good in office, divided the country and ruined the Republican party. What is everyone's favorite and least favorite presidents and why?

You don't just spy on the Democrats for fun. When you have the CIA spy on the big opposition party, there's something called a coup d'état that comes off. There's one of your guys here who used to compare Nixon to Napoleon the third (who made a coup while he was president). Anyway, the dude also turned Chile into a dipshit FAR-RIGHTY dictatorship.

Nixon was basically an un-official far-right winger
    Oh, I see. Yeah, I really don't know much about Nixon. I didn't know that about Chile... damn.

Jimmy Hendrix would make more sense imo
    Why him? *Name sounds familiar but not sure who he was.*

Elvis was a snitch for Nixon on the celebrities-drug thing.

Jimmy Hendrix was a legendary guitarist. If I remember right there were some really sketchy circumstances around his death. It was claimed he died of a drug overdose, but his family said he never did drugs and didn't like to be around people who did drugs.
    I accept Jesus Burgess as my Lord and Savior

Someone call for Zeidoktor sgamer82's Avatar

https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday...08/02/day-195/

Day 195: "Flu-like symptoms."

1/ A third police officer who responded to the U.S. Capitol insurrection has died by suicide, according to the Metropolitan Police Department. Officer Gunther Hashida was found dead in his residence on Thursday, July 29. This is the third known suicide of an officer who responded to the Capitol during the attack, and it is the second known suicide by a D.C. officer specifically. (CNN)

2/ Lindsey Graham tested positive for COVID-19 and has had “flu-like symptoms,” despite being vaccinated. Graham announced Monday that he now has only “mild symptoms” and is very glad he had been vaccinated because “without vaccination I am certain I would not feel as well as I do now.” Graham, before he got his results, was in the Senate on Monday morning, according to people who talked to him. He was wearing a mask at the time. (CNN / Reuters)

3/ House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy joked that “it will be hard not to hit” Nancy Pelosi with the gavel if he becomes House speaker. “I want you to watch Nancy Pelosi hand me that gavel. It will be hard not to hit her with it,” McCarthy said at a Saturday night event. Democrats are calling on McCarthy to apologize. (CNN / Washington Post)

4/ Jihadists are flooding the pro-Trump social network with propaganda. GETTR, the new platform started by members of the former president’s inner circle, is awash with beheading videos and extremist content. (Politico)

5/ Senators unveiled the final details of the $1 trillion infrastructure proposal. The more than 2,700-page bipartisan bill was finalized Sunday night, and it includes money for roads, transit systems and high-speed internet access. It’s the first phase of President Biden’s infrastructure plan. (NPR)

6/ The Treasury Department plans to invoke “extraordinary measures” after Congress missed the deadline to increase the debt-ceiling. The Treasury Department will begin conducting emergency cash-conservation steps to avoid busting the U.S. debt ceiling. Economists say those so-called extraordinary measures will allow the Treasury to pay off the government’s bills without issuing new debt for up to three months. (CNBC)

poll/ 40% Americans say the COVID situation is getting better, down from 89% in June. 45% say it’s getting worse. Most Americans now expect COVID disruption to persist through end of 2021 or later. (Gallup)
    Waldorf: You know Statler, after watching the last nine hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.
    Statler: No you haven't.
    Both: DOHOHOHOHOHO!

Jimmy Hendrix was a legendary guitarist. If I remember right there were some really sketchy circumstances around his death. It was claimed he died of a drug overdose, but his family said he never did drugs and didn't like to be around people who did drugs.
    That's not very accurate, all of the people in the 27 Club had problems with substance abuse/addiction.

Lack employees? "Hire" prisoners.
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...box=1626771871

Also Amazon got caught in it's anti-union plot
    https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/st...636042255?s=20

Discovered Stowaway Dorobō Neko's Avatar

I read that Nixon was the one who established the Environmental Protection Agency
    Was a Democratic bill with a veto-proof majority. So him taking credit for it is not really something people should allow but I get why it happens.

To be honest I found some of his geopolitical points at least interesting, if not fully exact and correct, to hear post his presidency. Especially on Russia. It's just overall he was a bad president and start to what the GOP is today. Which is a rotten party wanting to be dictators.

In more karmic news, the social media site GETTR, which is a Trump-oriented social media tool launched by his former spokesman Jason Miller, has had their "complete free speech" aspect taken advantage of as they are inundated with ISIS propoganda:
    https://secondnexus.com/gettr-isis-p...AkjfUn0eIf4d6I

Bet the Trump-ites are enjoying that.

This guy:

Quote Originally Posted by Dorobō Neko View Post
    Which is a rotten party wanting to be dictators.
    Correction a party that wants to be dictators while condemning and complaining about dictators.
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    Correction a party that wants to be dictators while condemning and complaining about dictators.
    Correction they only complain about dictators that are non white or non aligned with American supremacy in the world.

^ Even that's debatable considering Trump said some nice things about Duerte, Xi, & Un.

^ That's because he wanted to be like them.

Didn't he also said Hitler did a lot of good stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    Didn't he also said Hitler did a lot of good stuff?
    While it sound like something he would say, I think you're confusing it with our Bozo.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information