+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 68 FirstFirst ... 38 46 47 48 49 50 58 ... LastLast
Results 941 to 960 of 1347

Thread: American Politics: A Brand New Day

  1. #941

    Default Re: American Politics: A Brand New Day

    This is very bad, it doesn't make me happy at all:

    Mississippi Asks Supreme Court to Uphold 15-Week Abortion Ban, Overturn Roe v. Wade:
    https://www.allsides.com/story/missi...urn-roe-v-wade

    Like why can't these damn religious people just give up. It's a bunch of cells for fuck's sake. Science even proves it, wish more people actually educate on the topic and not try to control women's lives on what to do with their bodies. I remember in the past I lost friendships because I'm for the right for a woman to choose. I still don't understand why abortion is still a huge deal in 2021, I feel like we should get past that like with other things like gay marriage..

  2. #942
    The English Avenger Satsuki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Well hidden

    Default Re: American Politics: A Brand New Day

    The religious will never give it up, because they can't see past their bibles.

  3. #943

    Default Re: American Politics: A Brand New Day

    Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    The religious will never give it up, because they can't see past their bibles.
    Bleh. And like I don't think abortion is ever even mentioned in the Bible itself, correct me if I'm wrong. I know being trans is not in the Bible from what I know, yet Bible thumpers try to use that and say it is a sin. Just wondering if it is the same thing with abortion.

  4. #944

    Default Re: American Politics: A Brand New Day

    Quote Originally Posted by pariston_hill View Post
    Have you guys had your ACAB dose for the week?
    https://twitter.com/PplsCityCouncil/...68811293741059
    Whenever the L.A.P.D is involved in this kinda stuff,
    in my head I always start playing The Offspring's timeless song about them.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Offspring
    They're shooting anyone who even tries to run
    They're shooting little kids with toy guns
    Take it to a jury but they don't give a damn
    Because the one who tells the truth is always the policeman!

    Beat all the n*****s!
    Beat whoever you see!
    Don't need a reason!
    L.A.P.D!
    Law and order doesn't really matter
    When you're the one getting bruised and battered
    You take it to a jury, they'll throw it in your face
    Because justice in L.A. comes in a can of mace now!

    Beat all the n*****s!
    Beat whoever you see!
    Don't need a reason!
    L.A.P.D!
    That's from 1992.
    Almost 30 years old and still relevant.

    ---------------------------------[Youtube]-[Patreon]-[Twitter]---------------------------------

  5. #945

    Default Re: American Politics: A Brand New Day

    I think all the L.A. police should be fired and have new better cops in their place that are not racist or judgey of poor people. Honestly, I think that's what we should do for the whole country. Replace all the cops with new ones that have been retrained. Cops should not be scary, we should be friends with the cops... but every time I see a cop, I get a chill down my spine. Yet in other countries it is completely different...

  6. #946
    The English Avenger Satsuki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Well hidden

    Default Re: American Politics: A Brand New Day

    In typical Fox News Hypocrisy, it turns out that, after months of spooking everyone with stories of "the horror of vaccination passports", they require proof of vaccination from their employees themselves.
    https://secondnexus.com/fox-news-vac...NicUkLFz5UjzB0

    Quote Originally Posted by starlalilymoon View Post
    I think all the L.A. police should be fired and have new better cops in their place that are not racist or judgey of poor people. Honestly, I think that's what we should do for the whole country. Replace all the cops with new ones that have been retrained. Cops should not be scary, we should be friends with the cops... but every time I see a cop, I get a chill down my spine. Yet in other countries it is completely different...
    People have been saying that for the last year, that the police system needs to essentially be rebuilt from the ground up (too many bad apples = a rotten tree). Sadly, we're not any closer to getting that system rebuilt, either because A. People don't want to admit there's anything wrong, B. People don't want the police to be nicer to minorities or lower class, or C. Both.

  7. #947

    Default Re: American Politics: A Brand New Day

    Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    People have been saying that for the last year, that the police system needs to essentially be rebuilt from the ground up (too many bad apples = a rotten tree). Sadly, we're not any closer to getting that system rebuilt, either because A. People don't want to admit there's anything wrong, B. People don't want the police to be nicer to minorities or lower class, or C. Both.
    Well, I see. Maybe we can try to convince the cities we live in currently though I think it will take a lot of writing letters which I can do, but my social anxiety is so bad I can't really go out in the street and protest. How effective are online petitions?

    There's also D. People are terrified of change. I feel like many Americans are scared of new changes because it's a fear of the unknown.

  8. #948

    Default Re: American Politics: A Brand New Day

    Trumpers in my neighborhood are t even trying to hide the fact that they did 1/6

    I really cant believe the DMV let him choose that plate.

    Lee Zeldin, my congressman supported voting against the certification, and campaigned with a group that took 4 busses worth of insurrectionists, as they posted pics from inside the capitol


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    A magical strange Twilight Zone episode where no other education is offered, and the only option is Bill Nye the Science Guy videos

  9. #949
    Discovered Stowaway Dorobō Neko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Maryland

    Default Re: American Politics: A Brand New Day

    Biden has brought Mitch and the GOP to their knees.

    This bill passing is a big fucking deal.

  10. #950

    Default Re: American Politics: A Brand New Day

    Senate Advances Bipartisan Infrastructure Deal:
    https://www.npr.org/2021/07/28/10217...ure-after-hicc

    This is extremely positive news! This is what we need working together to get stuff done! It may not be what everything that both sides want, but it is nice to get something that makes everyone happy! This is progress, and hopefully we get more bipartisanship done in the works!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dorobō Neko View Post
    Biden has brought Mitch and the GOP to their knees.
    Wrong, no one brought to anyone's knees. They worked together as a team to create a bill. This is progress and compromise. It is what we need in Congress, and not partisanship.

  11. #951

    Default Re: American Politics: A Brand New Day

    Mighty funny Republicans wouldn't compromise on giving 2 trillion dollars in tax cuts to rich people but 2 trillion dollars is too much to upgrade our infrastructure.

    Not to mention the fact that 17 Republicans voting on this isn't truly progress when many of those same Republicans (along with Manchin & Sinema) will likely screw up any further pieces of beneficial legislation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284




  12. #952
    Discovered Stowaway Dorobō Neko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Maryland

    Default Re: American Politics: A Brand New Day

    Quote Originally Posted by starlalilymoon View Post
    Wrong, no one brought to anyone's knees. They worked together as a team to create a bill. This is progress and compromise. It is what we need in Congress, and not partisanship.
    The GOP are scared shitless of the poll numbers. The GOP is no help to anyone. They just caved. Nothing more, nothing less. Hopefully they keep bending the knee and get out of the way. They won't of course but it's the dream anyway.

  13. #953

    Default Re: American Politics: A Brand New Day

    Quote Originally Posted by Dorobō Neko View Post
    The GOP are scared shitless of the poll numbers. The GOP is no help to anyone. They just caved. Nothing more, nothing less. Hopefully they keep bending the knee and get out of the way. They won't of course but it's the dream anyway.
    I don't see it that way, that's just you making assumptions that aren't true. We need a balance of liberal and conservative viewpoints. If there is no balance, everything will fall apart. Not everything on the Democrat side is great like defunding the police, as well as not everything is great on the Republican side like not understanding climate change. It is finding that fine balance. I may lean left a lot, but I still feel like some viewpoints that Republicans hold are just as valid as Democrat ones.

    Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    Not to mention the fact that 17 Republicans voting on this isn't truly progress when many of those same Republicans (along with Manchin & Sinema) will likely screw up any further pieces of beneficial legislation.
    It depends if the legislation is indeed beneficial or not. I think it's progress, it's a first step forward. Let's not forgot about Trump making fun of those Republicans who compromised. We need to work together and not be like Trump and make the other side the enemy.

  14. #954
    Discovered Stowaway Dorobō Neko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Maryland

    Default Re: American Politics: A Brand New Day

    Quote Originally Posted by starlalilymoon View Post
    Not everything on the Democrat side is great like defunding the police
    Good thing that's not a Democratic Party position outside of a few backbenchers who barely ever know what they are talking about let alone set an agenda.

    Anyway conservative viewpoints are garbage. And this bill is just more of the Democrats always getting their way in the because the GOP is out of touch with this whole country's people by large masses and oh right? They are cruel losers.

  15. #955

    Default Re: American Politics: A Brand New Day

    Quote Originally Posted by Dorobō Neko View Post
    Good thing that's not a Democratic Party position outside of a few backbenchers who barely ever know what they are talking about let alone set an agenda.
    From what I know some Democratic cities cut costs to police and now crime is a bit higher in those areas.

    Example source -> Defund the police encounters resistance as violent crime spikes: https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/25/us/de...ike/index.html

    Los Angeles cut their budget in response to the movements:
    The city of Los Angeles cut its police department budget last July by $150 million, limiting overtime pay and reducing staffing to its lowest levels in over a decade.
    And then a year later:
    homicides and other forms of violent crime in Los Angeles have risen sharply in the past year,
    This is just one example of how one Democrat viewpoint is poor. But there are also strong Democrat viewpoints like climate change and treating LGBT people like humans. As well being pro-choice. Like I said I have more liberal viewpoints, but I do agree that some Republican viewpoints are valid. Which I shall explain below to your other statement.

    Anyway conservative viewpoints are garbage.
    Wrong. I would suggest looking at both sides. Democrats want to ban some type of guns. I don't want any guns banned. Just make it harder to get them. That's just one example of a positive conservative viewpoint. I also am reevaluating the idea of a 15$ minimum wage and how it might affect small businesses. Like I want a living wage, but I don't want businesses to disappear because they can't afford to pay their wages. That's not a garbage viewpoint either. Hence why I look at both sides and try to look at the big picture instead of being ignorant and hate the other side.

    Sure I disagree with Republicans being pro-life, anti-LGBT, and various other social issues, but Democrats are not the bright rainbow you think they are. Sure I agree on climate change with Democrats, but I disagree with them on gun issues like banning them. I'm also against raising taxes for the rich, and instead cutting taxes on the poor. I do agree more with Democrats like having laws protecting LGBT members, climate change, I do want gun control, just no banning, etc. So, no you're wrong. Both sides have good and bad points, and it is not one side is good and one side is bad. Your kinda of narrative is what Trump wants, Trump wants to divide the nation. So, instead of attacking the other side, try to listen and understand even if you disagree. You're going against what Biden wants, Biden wants unity, that means compromising and working together. *It is up to you, be like Trump -- divide the nation or be like Biden unite the nation.*

    Edit: Again, I'm not either Democrat or Republican, I consider myself as independent, though I'm more liberal in nature, and agree with liberals 90% of the time. I just want to clarify, but I also don't trash the other side, I used to, but I learned in college (like the past years, I mean.) to try to look at both sides of the argument. I mean I used to be like you thinking Republicans were evil, but I learned that was false, and they do have *some* valid viewpoints.
    Last edited by starlalilymoon; July 29th, 2021 at 09:09 PM.

  16. #956
    The English Avenger Satsuki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Well hidden

    Default Re: American Politics: A Brand New Day

    Quote Originally Posted by starlalilymoon View Post
    also am reevaluating the idea of a 15$ minimum wage and how it might affect small businesses. Like I want a living wage, but I don't want businesses to disappear because they can't afford to pay their wages. That's not a garbage viewpoint either.
    $15/hour is the minimum needed to be able to live independently. Seriously, do the math. 40 hours (per week) x 52 weeks (per year) = 2,080 hours. 2,080 hours x $15 = $31,200 per year. When combined with rent, food, and health costs, that's extremely low even for one person. Of course that varies depending in what part of the country you live in (up here in New England is expensive), but on average it's still a bare minimum. Now combine that with people who want to have families, and it makes it harder.

    I don't want small businesses to go out of business either, but as many big and small businesses are learning right now, you can't run a business without employees.

  17. #957

    Default Re: American Politics: A Brand New Day

    Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    $15/hour is the minimum needed to be able to live independently. Seriously, do the math. 40 hours (per week) x 52 weeks (per year) = 2,080 hours. 2,080 hours x $15 = $31,200 per year. When combined with rent, food, and health costs, that's extremely low even for one person. Of course that varies depending in what part of the country you live in (up here in New England is expensive), but on average it's still a bare minimum. Now combine that with people who want to have families, and it makes it harder.

    I don't want small businesses to go out of business either, but as many big and small businesses are learning right now, you can't run a business without employees.
    Yes, I do know what you mean, *I'm not against it*, it is just I feel like it might have to vary depending on where you are in the country. I do want people to have a living wage, but apart of me tries to see the other side. I think cities actually should be even more that 15$, maybe 20$, but lower in like places like rural areas to 12$. It's just hard to figure out. I mean I'm more for it than against it. So, I'm like half and half. But I do agree it has to change, doing nothing won't solve the problem.

    I just want everyone to be happy, I don't want small businesses to disappear but I also want people to live freely and not worry about money. I guess I'm just concerned and not sure how to fix the issue. I wish I knew more about economics and all that too. It's so complicated. Like a person living on their own should be able to afford the pay the bills and not have a need for a roommate.

  18. #958

    Default Re: American Politics: A Brand New Day

    If your business requires you paying slave wages and your employees basically just volunteering to stay open, then you don't deserve to have a small business as your vanity project.

    This is even more true for mega corporations like McDonalds or Wallmart who could absolutely afford to increase their wages without affecting anything.

    Note this doesn't apply for actual *charities* like animal shelters or soup kitchens, those places aren't making money they're just paying operating costs.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

  19. #959

    Default Re: American Politics: A Brand New Day

    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    If your business requires you paying slave wages and your employees basically just volunteering to stay open, then you don't deserve to have a small business as your vanity project.
    Hmmm, I see. I guess there is also how many people actually come to your business and stuff too. I really don't know much of the logistics of a business, so can't really say much on the topic. I feel like there are a lot of factors I guess. It's something I have to do more research on to understand it.

    This is even more true for mega corporations like McDonalds or Wallmart who could absolutely afford to increase their wages without affecting anything.
    Yeah, they are not small businesses. Though I heard McDonalds finally raises their wages! Like finally!

    But I do agree with you on that, they should be paying way more, especially if it doesn't hurt them at all financially. Also, let's not forget about Amazon and having proper reasonable working environments. Like these corporations can do even more for their workers, like giving them free health insurance, paid vacation leave, etc.

    Note this doesn't apply for actual *charities* like animal shelters or soup kitchens, those places aren't making money they're just paying operating costs.
    Of course. Those are like non-profit organizations, so I get it.

  20. #960
    The English Avenger Satsuki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Well hidden

    Default Re: American Politics: A Brand New Day

    Quote Originally Posted by starlalilymoon View Post
    But I do agree with you on that, they should be paying way more, especially if it doesn't hurt them at all financially. Also, let's not forget about Amazon and having proper reasonable working environments. Like these corporations can do even more for their workers, like giving them free health insurance, paid vacation leave, etc.
    It should definitely be a rule that the more profitable your company is, the more you should give your employees. I don't expect the cute little general store down the street from me to give their employees health insurance, they can't afford it, but damn if people like McDonalds and Amazon can't give their employees top-tier insurance.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts