+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 68 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 45 ... LastLast

Thread: American Politics: A Brand New Day

Default Re: American Politics: A Brand New Day

Quote Originally Posted by sgamer82 View Post
    poll/ 68% support Bidens $2 trillion infrastructure proposal, while 29% oppose it. (CNBC / Monmouth University)
    I support the bill too, it is honestly a must. The roads really need to be updated to look more modern plus fix all the roads in the lower end neighborhoods, etc. Maybe later on the roads can be updated to solar roadways too.

Annnndd, yet another shooting spree:
    https://news.yahoo.com/gunman-deadly...trk=fb&tsrc=fb

The man was killed so we don't know the reason behind the killings, only that he opened fire in 5 different locations and two victims were Asian (though only one died).

Great State of the Union. One of the best in a long, long time. Not just in comparison to Trump, but a long time in general.

Biden was not my choice, but damn he's doing pretty good so far.

...Ted Cruz fell asleep during it.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Discovered Stowaway Dorobō Neko's Avatar

Yeah I agree. Was a great personal affair. Not just a boring list of what they have done but a reminder of what has happened and what will happen.

And of course it was full of hope which is something we really needed.

The Mad Moiselle BellisarioFaith's Avatar

Tim Scott: Lists numerous times he's experienced racial discrimination
    Also Tim Scott: "America is not a racist country."

Fucking what?
    Hidden:

Quote Originally Posted by BellisarioFaith View Post
    Tim Scott: Lists numerous times he's experienced racial discrimination
    Also Tim Scott: "America is not a racist country."

Fucking what?
    I suffered discrimination but because the GOP wants to keep racial supremacy in America I've to say the country is not racist.
    We have one of those here, luckily he is not a politician.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%A...nto_de_Camargo

The FDA announced today that they plan to ban Menthol cigarettes in an attempt to protect black people from the dangers of smoking.

No major expansion of the war on drugs has ever brought anything positive to communities of color.
    It's extremely hard for me to believe that most black people would want or willingly accept further intervention by law enforcement on their behalf.

This is not how you convince people to stop smoking, and for at least the first hundred years of American anti-drug laws (1870s-1970s) our leaders knew that. The war on drugs was created and maintained to give cops a pretense to assault and murder Chinese immigrants, former black slaves and their descendants, and Hispanic immigrants.
    We need to acknowledge that banning choice is and has always been an incredibly un-American thing to do, and accept blame for almost 150 years of betraying our own values in the name of racism.

We don't need to double down.

WTF is wrong with these people?!

Sex blimps? Abolish Lasagna? What?

Quote Originally Posted by pariston_hill View Post
    Why would lasagna be abolished? And what the fuck is a sex blimp?

This confuses me x.x Is this senator trying to shitpost or something? O.o

Quote Originally Posted by Nolus View Post
    Sex blimps? Abolish Lasagna? What?
    It's a photoshop.

Her actual sign had a bunch of standard conservative talking points.

From the article:
    ...address health disparities experienced by communities of color, low-income populations, and LGBTQ+ individuals...
    Yeah.... this seems like an attempt to appeal to minorities and low-income folks, but... it's a bad idea and not very appealing. This will just hurt these communities and more people will go to prison if they are caught with the mentol cigarettes, especially black folks, since they are easier to target for law enforcement. I don't know what the Biden administration is thinking, but banning will just **increase** the use of the drug, and not reduce it.

It has been shown time and time again, that banning drugs doesn't help nowhere, but if they are all legal and treated as a social/mental health issue, it actually reduces the number of drug users. So, instead of banning, why not create programs to help people lay off cigarettes? I would feel like that be the better choice if they actually wanted to help these communities for their health. This will just create withdrawal symptoms and makes things worse for everyone. This was a very poor move, and I don't smoke, but I know when I see a horrible idea come to fruition x.x

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    It's a photoshop.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...84/unknown.png
    Oh! I thought it was real! I was gonna say >.<

Quote Originally Posted by pariston_hill View Post
    I suffered discrimination but because the GOP wants to keep racial supremacy in America I've to say the country is not racist.
    We have one of those here, luckily he is not a politician.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%A...nto_de_Camargo
    I was told in light of that that a country isn’t just made up of systems, but also its people. If a country can be defined by its bad systems, then what can be said about its people whom don’t all think the same way?

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    It's a photoshop.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...84/unknown.png
    Even then the funny part is there is some hysteria on the right where they think Biden wants to put an end to the consumption of Red Meat......this is right after the bullshit were they were complaining about Biden or whoever it was wanting to put an end to outdoor BBQs or some shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

The real thing is all things that should be done or worked towards. Damn those liberals wanting to live a better life in a better world.

I'm only really fine with Green New Deal and making D.C a 51st state. (Hopefully Puerto Rico as the 52th.)

Though I do have some questions about statehood. Why don't all the U.S territories become states? Like it feels more beneficial to the people who live there if they got state benefits from what I seen. Why would they want to stay as a territory versus becoming a state? Is there like cultural reasons involved? Just really curious honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by starlalilymoon View Post
    I'm only really fine with Green New Deal and making D.C a 51st state. (Hopefully Puerto Rico as the 52th.)

Though I do have some questions about statehood. Why don't all the U.S territories become states? Like it feels more beneficial to the people who live there if they got state benefits from what I seen. Why would they want to stay as a territory versus becoming a state? Is there like cultural reasons involved? Just really curious honestly.
    I don't know all the aspects involved, but I think a large part of it is due to population.

For comparison, Wyoming, the least populated state, has about half a million people living it. DC has about 700,000 people and Puerto Rico has a whopping 3 million people. Hence whey there's so much discussion about giving them statehood.

Aside from them, the US has four other populated territories, but their populations aren't nearly that large. The other territories are Guam (169,000), American Samoa (46,000), Northern Mariana Islands (52,000), and US Virgin Islands (106,000). If we were to give them statehood, then that would mean giving them delegates in the house and two senators for each territory. And for territories with populations that small, especially ones at the opposite end of the world, naturally there would be a ton of backlash.

8 senators representing less than the population of Wyoming just isn't gonna fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    8 senators representing less than the population of Wyoming just isn't gonna fly.
    And yet that exact same imbalance is already in play just in the other direction.

There's over a dozen red states getting 20-30 senators (depending how you want to count them) compared to California's 2, despite California having more population than all of them combined.

Ditto New York, Florida, and Texas.

The entire Senate system is completely broken and stopped working after we stopped having 13 roughly equal states and started getting a handful of mega population centers.

The House doesn't balance it out either since it hasn't been expanded in 100 years, so the big states slowly get squeezed more and more. Not nearly as bad the senate, but you still have some cases where one senator represents 200,000 people and others where a one senator/electoral vote represents 700,000. (The House should be somewhere between 9000 and 1000 seats

But obviously they'll never balance that out to be fair without also changing the "winner takes all" system of every state or 4 states would decide nearly every election by themselves.

Easiest solution would be to split California and Texas into multiple states for congress purposes. WOuld also mean those big blocks wouldn't be mono-color.l
    Last edited by Robby; April 30th, 2021 at 10:22 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

I'm curious to see where Biden is going. All of this stuff about the "green new deal" eventually getting us all out of neo-liberalism is cool, but I'm not really buying it as we've had our own president with "revolutionary" ideas and we're still seeing nowadays that it was a fuckup. But everyone is excited, even here, there is a "Biden-mania" (I mean, there is always an excitement when the Republican president fucks off). Anyways, we'll see where it leads in a year or two...
    Every nation gets the government it deserves.---- Joseph de Maistre

I will take any gains we can before 2022 comes where the bitter Republicans try to take back seats. Unfortunately ol' Mitch is still there....waiting.....seething....

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information