+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: ONE PIECE 7TH Popularity Poll Announcement !!

Default Re: ONE PIECE 7TH Popularity Poll Announcement !!

Roger will definitely be higher this time. I'm fully expecting to see characters like Roger, Kinemon, Carrot, Vivi and Big Mom rise while Katakuri, Ulti, Yamato and Oden will all place in the top 30.

So how to get my Yamato/Rosinante postcard to Japan?

Lit the Fire of Shandora! will-of-R's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    Votes are still heavily Japanese skewered due to postcards being worth 10 points, so things shouldn't be too different.
    Idk if the number who cast the poll for the web is 10x larger than postcard (since there’s less effort), then it could be 50:50.
    Personally having 10 accounts to match the magnitude of postcard is not a hard task at all

Quote Originally Posted by will-of-R View Post
    Idk if the number who cast the poll for the web is 10x larger than postcard (since there’s less effort), then it could be 50:50.
    Personally having 10 accounts to match the magnitude of postcard is not a hard task at all
    People can send multiple postcards too, like in every other poll.

That's why it won't make much of a difference for the top. Dedicated Japanese fans will easily offset online votes.
    Last edited by King Cannon; December 28th, 2020 at 04:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by theackwardstation View Post
    The main difference in taste between western and japanese audiences (inside the anime fandom) is probably cutesy stuff being very popular there and not so much here. Aside from that, most people like basically the same type of characters. Cool, badass, hot, sexy, strong, these are the keywords, basically characters you aspire to be or want to f...
    I mean if you phrase it like people like character they think are cool, funny or hot then sure, but what passes for cool or entertaining is not always universal. Japan seems to have a much higher tolerance for, if not an affinity for, bratty kids, annoying sidekicks, do nothing cry baby women and stoic and brooding aces preferably men.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    I mean if you phrase it like people like character they think are cool, funny or hot then sure, but what passes for cool or entertaining is not always universal. Japan seems to have a much higher tolerance for, if not an affinity for, bratty kids, annoying sidekicks, do nothing cry baby women and stoic and brooding aces preferably men.
    I guess the adjectives I selected are kinda generic and unclear, but I think people use these words consistently and most people agree with its usage to the same characters. Btw, most of these adjectives are very visual, not only in regards to beauty itself, but also the character's "drip" and what it tells about their attitude (since character design usually tries to inform a lot through appearances, more than real life does). Well, there's no way around it, that's what people like, and we can notice it especially in mangas like One Piece in which there's a wide spectrum of character designs, but the most popular ones are always the most realistic and hot and cool, regardless if men or women.

Then, once a character is appealing in that way (someone you aspire to be or want to f...), then what will make a character succeed more than others will depend on his role and the amount of highlights in the story. There's no definitive rule because each case is a different story. In regards to the stereotypes you mentioned, I'm not sure if Japan have a higher tolerance for them because I see them being also popular in the west in a similar proportion. And these "annoying" characters who become popular are usually prominent in the story, so the exposition makes them more likeable, and most of them usually have an appealing character designs, so... yeah.

Well lets take an example of what i feel illustrate a taste disconnect betwenn western and eastern preferences. Shirahoshi, Perona and Rebecca are all more popular than BM, Roger, Rayleigh, Blackbeard and Katakuri. Would you expect a western only poll to give a similar result?

Well lets take an example of what i feel illustrate a taste disconnect betwenn western and eastern preferences. Shirahoshi, Perona and Rebecca are all more popular than BM, Roger, Rayleigh, Blackbeard and Katakuri. Would you expect a western only poll to give a similar result?
    Rayleigh got 18th place in the 4th popularity poll, which is pretty high, so I don't understand why he fell so much after. Probably because he doesn't get a lot of merch, and he left the story after chapter 600. And Katakuri was only so low in the 6th popularity poll because he hadn't done much yet when it happened. He'll be a top 15 character now in Japan, I bet.

But, overall, even here in the west I think those girls will be more popular than those big shots who are still shrouded in mystery. Roger was too abstract, but he may get more popular now that he got more spotlight in Oden's flashback; Blackbeard is important, but his time has not arrived yet; BM is too weird and unattractive for mass popularity. Btw, in the contest between Shirahoshi, Perona and Rebecca vs Roger, Blackbeard and BM, we can see the sexy and hot theme playing a role, lol.

And, like, we have to consider that when we're comparing japanese popularity polls with our western OP communities preferences, there are some other group distinctions like age, level of fandom, how we consume the media, knowledge, etc. A lot of casual fans vote in these Jump polls, people who will like more a character with lots of screentime (like Rebecca), and there are teens who have not read the entire manga but only the most recent arcs, people who doesn't even like OP that much but buy Jump magazine, and other deviations like that. Here in the AP and other forums we usually find more diehard fans who care more about the deeper lore and characters who play a more meaningful role even if they lack in screetime.

Oh i'm sure there are tons of reasons for why their polls and our polls skew like it does. But when a poll comes out where Cavendish is more popular than all of the above plus Usopp, Brook and Franky it tells you that the people voting have different priorities and taste. Cavendish even edges out Doffy, Mihawk and Croc. Rocinante is higher ranked than them too. And the pink haired Vinsmoke girl is even higher still. Mindblowing stuff

Oh i'm sure there are tons of reasons for why their polls and our polls skew like it does. But when a poll comes out where Cavendish is more popular than all of the above plus Usopp, Brook and Franky it tells you that the people voting have different priorities and taste. Cavendish even edges out Doffy, Mihawk and Croc. Rocinante is higher ranked than them too. And the pink haired Vinsmoke girl is even higher still. Mindblowing stuff
    Well, another important factor is the design of the poll. Voting for only one character is not the most effective method to measure a popularity ranking. Hypothetically speaking (purely theoretical), if there were a character who is everybody's second favorite, but nobody's favorite, he wouldn't get a single vote despite being super popular, lol.

On a more practical analysis, one weird consequence of this polling method that I can think of is strategic voting. For example, maybe you won't vote for your favorite characters because you know that they'll get a bunch of votes already (like the Strawhats), so you'll choose a side character of your liking to give him a chance to get a good position. So if you're a Cavendish fan in a war against Barto fans (lol), maybe you'll vote for Cavendish to make sure he'll beat Barto, even if your favorite character is actually someone else.

It's also a way to send the message "please, Oda, use this character more in the future, we love him/her!". That's one of the reasons someone like Reiju may get so many votes.

In the end, many of these deviations end up rigging the truth and some characters may get too lucky or too unlucky.

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    I think we all know AP has to do a mass write in vote for the Awesome Octopus Fishman Standing Next to Jinbe on page 17 of Ch. 624.
    That would be epic.
    However... can you vote for unnamed characters? (I've never voted in previous polls)

They're all write ins. "Snowman" and "The doctor who shook hands with Lucci" made it in once, and sometimes things like cover page animals and Luffy's hat make it in, so I don't see why not.

The last couple polls haven't shown below the top 100 though, so a gag with only one voter would probably go unnoticed.

It would need LOTS of people writing the exact same thing thing.

The fourth poll only took 10 votes to get in the top 100 though... The last poll had twice as many votes as that, and this one will be worldwide and online, so...

1000 votes will get them into the top 20!
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

I'll appreciate everybody's help in bringing Brownbeard to the top so we can see all his glory on a Color Spread.

King of Little Sisters ~ Chrior's Avatar
    Topping the worldwide popularity contest, of course

Can we all vote for "Guy drinking sake with Crocus in that one cover page" so Oda finally answers that question? Pretty please

Lotsa ppl making big calls without even understanding all the rules yet.

Oh internet (^○^)

Wait a few more days.

It ain't like the pearls from MHA where Pikachu, Naruto and Midoriya's shoe count as characters.

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    It ain't like the pearls from MHA where Pikachu, Naruto and Midoriya's shoe count as characters.
    On that note, there is a chance that Meltan makes it in...
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

I miss AP's characters tournament with the funny supporting images

Did you guys forget about QUEEN!? I really do hope he makes it to the top 10/15/20, funny cruel playful rascal. It would also be great if Jinbei made it up there with Yamato, Ulti and Kata.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Oh yah, AP's tourneys were very fun back in the days
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Lotsa ppl making big calls without even understanding all the rules yet.

Oh internet (^○^)

Wait a few more days.
    Hehehe unless they have a 2-step verification a Japanese vpn is all you need if it is restricted to Japan/single IP.

Japan loves their cool good looking big brother types, so congratulations to Luffy, Zoro, Sanji, Ace, Sabo, Law, and Katakuri for breaking the top 10. Everyone go buy some Japanese real estate so we can vote Brook in above Ace.
    Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー´)TSUKAME SUCCESS !

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information