+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread: ONE PIECE 7TH Popularity Poll!!

Default Re: ONE PIECE 7TH Popularity Poll Announcement !!

Wonder which charmless bore will win their hearts this time

The Tetsuo Ishimaru of AP Gizmo's Avatar

It’s gonna break my heart when Yamato makes it to the top 10 or 20. It’s the Jinbe situation all over again for me, there’s just something about the character upon initial introduction and continued story lines that just doesn’t click. At least I feel like I’ve made my peace with Jinbe and who he is as a character now. Yamato still though...

My biggest curiosity is how popular Oden is in the eyes of the fandom.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Also Kinemon for life. I will die going down as captain of his fan club!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwing
    Stay focused, cause right now you have a decision to make. Are you a man perpetually looking back at what he’s lost, or a man looking forward, to what he might become?

I hope Crocodile and Doflamingo do good! There my favorite villains, although I love Enel and Arlong too

Expect Katakuri and Yamato inside top 10. Also Luffy,Zorro and Sanji being only SHs making inside top 10 with Nami hanging about very close.
    “When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.”

I expect Katakuri to make in the top 10 and Oden and BM in the top 15. Also Nami to go up after the "Pirate King Luffy" moment. Marco already made 20 back to WCI arc, so him reaching the top 15 too seems just the natural flow now. Also hoping Brook and Franky after Big Mom's scouring.

So my bets are:
    1 Luffy
    2 Zoro
    3 Sanji
    4 Ace
    5 Nami
    6 Law
    7 Jinbe
    8 Katakuri
    9 Chopper
    10 Sabo

11 Shanks
    12 Franky
    13 Oden
    14 Brook
    15 Marco
    16 Usopp
    17 Big Mom
    18 Doflamingo
    19 Crocodile
    20 Capone
    Quote Originally Posted by rayleigh92 View Post
    Carrot sneaked on the Sunny when they left Zou, not asking or requesting anyone. IF Carrot is going to join, I expect something like that, with the crew ready to leave Wano, all of them beginning to party for new nakama Yamato and then "wha-t?! Carrot is near Luffy

I expect Katakuri to make in the top 10 and Oden and BM in the top 15. Also Nami to go up after the "Pirate King Luffy" moment. Marco already made 20 back to WCI arc, so him reaching the top 15 too seems just the natural flow now. Also hoping Brook and Franky after Big Mom's scouring.

So my bets are:
    1 Luffy
    2 Zoro
    3 Sanji
    4 Ace
    5 Nami
    6 Law
    7 Jinbe
    8 Katakuri
    9 Chopper
    10 Sabo

11 Shanks
    12 Franky
    13 Oden
    14 Brook
    15 Marco
    16 Usopp
    17 Big Mom
    18 Doflamingo
    19 Crocodile
    20 Capone
    I think you're overrating Big Mom and Capone. They''re not really popular with the younger crowd that actually gets to vote, being older characters with less appealing designs.

- Hancock
    - Kid
    - Yamato
    - Drake
    - Carrot
    - Vivi

are all way more likely to score in the Top 20. Hancock in particular is consistently in that range.

Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    I think you're overrating Big Mom and Capone. They''re not really popular with the younger crowd that actually gets to vote, being older characters with less appealing designs.

- Hancock
    - Kid
    - Yamato
    - Drake
    - Carrot
    - Vivi

are all way more likely to score in the Top 20. Hancock in particular is consistently in that range.
    I admit I began with prejudice about Kid as he made in top 15 just once and never more. But I can see Drake make in top 20 instead, you're right.
    Carrot sneaked on the Sunny when they left Zou, not asking or requesting anyone. IF Carrot is going to join, I expect something like that, with the crew ready to leave Wano, all of them beginning to party for new nakama Yamato and then "wha-t?! Carrot is near Luffy

Yamato alone has a connection with Ace that's very likely to push him to Top 10.

I admit I began with prejudice about Kid as he made in top 15 just once and never more. But I can see Drake make in top 20 instead, you're right.
    Kid has made 15th and 18th despite doing little, so he has a ton of potential to crack Top 10 while in an active role, let alone Top 20.

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

Also hoping Blackbeard does better, now that his New World design has been seen plus the bounty.

Oden, Ulti and Yamato are most interesting to me. I wonder how well recieved they were in Japan compared to the english community. Oden I'm almost certain was better recieved, but how high can he go?

Do the Japanese not like Blackbeard?

At least the japanese fanbase had law kick zoro from second place, they won me over right there.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Do the Japanese not like Blackbeard?
    He does decently. Sometimes cracks the Top 50.

It's just that he has so little presence and is ugly as sin.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

The general rule is that if you're a ugly or weird ass mofo, you need a memorable character arc to make up for it (or a living meme like Urouge). It's why Bon Clay can do as well as he does.

The Japanese taste is always baffling to me.

Quiet, smug and angsty seems to give high marks.

I did forgot how the Oden flashback could impact over some chara as Roger and Newgate, especially the first one.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    The Japanese taste is always baffling to me.

Quiet, smug and angsty seems to give high marks.
    You're talking about a very teenage demographic.

It's not really different in the west.

Lit the Fire of Shandora! will-of-R's Avatar

The whole Covid situation might makes Jump realize the weight of One Piece international fans.

With lots of international traffic to Official English Translation, simulcast anime, Tokyo Tower YouTube live, Netflix adaptation hype etc. does it finally make us count? :)

Quite sure Zoro will win by a large gap than usual, and close in Luffy. So I'm gonna defend my boy Sanji here for Oda's big data research.
    Bring on the poll! XD

Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    You're talking about a very teenage demographic.

It's not really different in the west.
    I mean i am an old man now so i can speak for today.

But when i was a teen there was quite a divide betwenn the two.

Quote Originally Posted by will-of-R View Post
    The whole Covid situation might makes Jump realize the weight of One Piece international fans.

With lots of international traffic to Official English Translation, simulcast anime, Tokyo Tower YouTube live, Netflix adaptation hype etc. does it finally make us count? :)

Quite sure Zoro will win by a large gap than usual, and close in Luffy. So I'm gonna defend my boy Sanji here for Oda's big data research.
    Bring on the poll! XD
    Votes are still heavily Japanese skewered due to postcards being worth 10 points, so things shouldn't be too different.

The main difference in taste between western and japanese audiences (inside the anime fandom) is probably cutesy stuff being very popular there and not so much here. Aside from that, most people like basically the same type of characters. Cool, badass, hot, sexy, strong, these are the keywords, basically characters you aspire to be or want to f...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information