+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Unresolved Plot Threads

Default Unresolved Plot Threads

Since Oda has confirmed in Jump Festa that One Piece is entering its endgame, I decided to make a thread to keep track of all the unresolved plot and character threads that still need to be resolved. The idea is I list what I can think of and people can add onto the many things I'll probably forget as well as discuss certain plot threads they really hope are not rushed or forgotten by Oda.

In terms of main stuff, the biggest stuff I can think of are as follows;

1. Elbaf
    2. Big Mom's possible memory manipulation
    3. The Final Road Poneglyph
    4. One Piece and the Will of D
    5. The Final War
    6. Shank's death/Returning the Strawhat
    7. Blackbeard Flashback
    8. Possible further Roger flashback (though Oda might have shortcut-ted that with the Oden flashback)
    9. What happened at the Reverie? (especially with Vivi)
    10. Who is Imam? What is the meaning of the Straw Hat?
    11. Doflamingo and the secrets he knows
    12. Aokiji joining the Blackbeard Pirates
    13. What happened in the Void Century?
    14. Joy Boy and the promise he made (how is this related to Zou?)
    15. Fishman Island's destruction
    16. Fallout of the dissolution of the Shickibukai (what new weapon or system will replace them?)
    17. Marine Schism
    18. Everyone's dreams, especially Zoro vs Mihawk and Mihawk's probable death at the hands of Zoro's final opponent.
    19. Vegapunk
    20. Ancient Weapons
    These are the big stuff off the top of my head, aside from that there's side content of varying importance including characters we want to see get more of a resolution or role in the final war

1. Ryokugyu introduction
    2. Coby
    3. Enel on the moon
    4. Urouge
    5. Kuma and Bonney
    6. Magellan
    7. Hancock
    8. Buggy
    9. Weevil
    10. Strawhat Grand Fleet
    11. Pudding and The Three Eyed Race
    12. Rayleigh and Shakky
    13. Katakuri
    14. CP0

That's all from the top of my head and that alone is a lot to resolve in 7-10 years regardless of how much Oda insists that he's wrapping up. Here's hoping he doesn't fumble it by rushing too much.

Default Re: Unresolved Plot Threads

Do theories that might not play out at all - Big Mom having memory issues, Marine civil war, Shanks and Mihawk dying - really count as unresolved plot threads?

Otherwise yeah,pretty good list.The final few arcs are going to have to be very plot-heavy and keep a lot of balls in the air at once to get through it all. I think it's doable though. Maybe not in the five years previously stated, but it's doable.

The identity of the person who met with Crocus.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

I think many of those will be played out at the same time.

For instance, I believe next arc is Mary Geoise, and we will see Green Bull introduced and CP0 as enemies, with Hancock, Sabo, Vivi, Bonny and Kuma plots intermingling. That will lead us to Vegapunk arc.

I also think Blackbeard is going to recruit Bakkin and Weevil, and then move against SHanks, who will be harboring both Buggy and Mihawk.
    No, I'm not back. I never left. It's just that it has been a long time since I had something to say.

What needs to be resolved is the origin of Devil Fruits, which might be covered by Vegapunk (that statement from Oda is super old though, who knows if it's not revealed by someone else at this point).

The other must-haves are already covered, I think. Maybe I would add Luffy's mother to the list, as I can't imagine Oda not giving us at least an idea who she was. Could also lump it together with Luffy's and Dragon's relationship in general.

Then I have things in the back of my mind that I don't consider something that needs to be resolved, like the Florian Triangle Monsters. Would be cool if they are revisited, but it's also fine if they remain a spooky secret (because that was their purpose anyway).

Level 6 prisoners, the reintroducing characters like Crocodile, and Gecko Moria, the other two races Big Mom doesn’t have

Do you wanna borrow it? Khamolen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    Level 6 prisoners,
    There's nothing to resolve there.

3DS FC: 0619-3258-8245

Did they ever answer Luffy's question on if mermaids poop?

I still really want more info on Crocodiles secret and his backstory.

Quote Originally Posted by Khamolen View Post
    There's nothing to resolve there.
    Oda literally made it a cliff hanger in one of the most popular arcs of all time

Then brought it up again in Dressrossa

It has been mentioned multiple times throughout the series for a reason, much like how they say nothing gets put onto the movie screen without a reason/purpose, similarly the author doesn’t just put something on the page of his manga without a clear reason, and he must have a very clear reason or purpose if they mention four or five times at different parts like Oda has in this particular case

The only reason I somewhat agree with you, is cause Oda is clearly trying to wrap things up and cutting corners, so he may just let this plot thread go in the sake of finishing this series sometime in the next century

But at one point in time he clearly had a plan to do something with the rest of the level 6 prisoners

If you disagree with me that’s fine

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    like the Florian Triangle Monsters. Would be cool if they are revisited, but it's also fine if they remain a spooky secret (because that was their purpose anyway).
    The rest of Zou's herd of giant mist emitting elephants.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

But at one point in time he clearly had a plan to do something with the rest of the level 6 prisoners
    It's there as a thread, it's worldbuilding, it could be explored. But it's not big enough and important enough that it HAS to be followed up on at length, if Oda never touches it again the story won't be significantly lesser for it.

It'd be nice to be addressed again, but its not a requisite. It's not unresolved. Luffy doesn't have to single handedly adress every single aspect o the world. It was a negative consequence to his actions, that's enough.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by The B-Mack View Post
    Did they ever answer Luffy's question on if mermaids poop?

Yes, Camie confirmed it and even wanted to go into detail, but Sanji stopped that convo.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Wow that makes sense actually. Zunisha was mostly surrounded by mist when we saw her, an entire herd producing enough to form a thick veil seems plausible.

I still doubt the Zunisha herd/Florian triangle thing. The only argument I've seen for it involves a horribly warped view of perspective. I'm pretty sure it's just meant to be a random thing that wasn't meant to be solved.
    Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー)TSUKAME SUCCESS !

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    Wow that makes sense actually. Zunisha was mostly surrounded by mist when we saw her, an entire herd producing enough to form a thick veil seems plausible.
    The shadows even match the shape Zunisha made when we first saw him.

Greg speculated on it in his column years ago. Even if Oda never confirms it, it's good enough for me until it's contradicted.

https://one-piece.com/special/greg/20151021_0477?l=en

Quote Originally Posted by FelRes View Post
    I still doubt the Zunisha herd/Florian triangle thing. The only argument I've seen for it involves a horribly warped view of perspective. I'm pretty sure it's just meant to be a random thing that wasn't meant to be solved.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

It's there as a thread, it's worldbuilding, it could be explored. But it's not big enough and important enough that it HAS to be followed up on at length, if Oda never touches it again the story won't be significantly lesser for it.

It'd be nice to be addressed again, but its not a requisite. It's not unresolved. Luffy doesn't have to single handedly adress every single aspect o the world. It was a negative consequence to his actions, that's enough.
    Again he’s brought it up multiple times, even as a cliff hanger in one of the biggest arcs ever

You don’t just bring up a plot point again and again by accident, the Dressrosa one made it very much seem like the entire group of level 6 prisoners were on one island, Oda was clearly using that bounty hunter to build up something

That being said, it’s gonna be another decade by the time he finishes the series and that’s with him cutting corners and getting rid of other plot threads, the guy is clearly tired, exhausted and coming up on working a single series for three decades, I imagine at this point he’s dropping stuff left and right and the rest of the level six prisoners are probably just a casualty of that

Yeah I agree, this is way too cool even if Oda did not intend it.

Thanks for digging up these pictures, for some reason this completely eluded me. 5 years ago huh...

The warped perspective I'm talking about is the one claiming the eyes are of a close-up shot of an elephant's face, which makes zero sense with the horizon right beneath it. Would only work if the elephant was diving or so far away it wouldn't even be visible within the triangle anymore.
    Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー)TSUKAME SUCCESS !

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Do theories that might not play out at all - Big Mom having memory issues, Marine civil war, Shanks and Mihawk dying - really count as unresolved plot threads?

Otherwise yeah,pretty good list.The final few arcs are going to have to be very plot-heavy and keep a lot of balls in the air at once to get through it all. I think it's doable though. Maybe not in the five years previously stated, but it's doable.
    I think some theories are so clearly signposted that they feel pretty much inevitable but either way, Big Mom, Mihawk, Shanks and the Marines have to get some resolution.

Again he’s brought it up multiple times, even as a cliff hanger in one of the biggest arcs ever

You don’t just bring up a plot point again and again by accident, the Dressrosa one made it very much seem like the entire group of level 6 prisoners were on one island, Oda was clearly using that bounty hunter to build up something

That being said, it’s gonna be another decade by the time he finishes the series and that’s with him cutting corners and getting rid of other plot threads, the guy is clearly tired, exhausted and coming up on working a single series for three decades, I imagine at this point he’s dropping stuff left and right and the rest of the level six prisoners are probably just a casualty of that
    This feels like a generous use of the word cliffhanger. I would love the continuity if the escapees come up again, but they work fine as a worldbuilding detail, like the warring countries whose battles were won and lost as a result of Doflamingo's black market weapons trade going under. One Piece has the heart of a a worldbuilding-driven fantasy epic, and these kinds of little hints at conflicts and events beyond the main characters' view keep stories like that textured and their worlds feeling like they keep going beyond what's on the page. The way I've always seen it, Jean Ango's bit in Dressrosa was the follow-up to the loose end. There are people out there finding what the World Government covered up and working to sort out the problem. He could have done the same thing just as easily with a throwaway line or an aside in one of the New Marineford or Cipher Pol scenes, saying they have a team of operatives working on it.

Maybe if they'd actually named a few of the missing prisoners or built up anything about them aside from "dangerous" on any of the three occasions they've come up I'd be inclined to expect a follow up, but there's just nothing on these guys. Best case scenario for them entering the main plot would if they as a group went and joined under the wing of one of the higher level enemies who are actually worth putting pagetime toward. There's no investment in them coming up again.

Actually, what if time spent in Level 6 was how Who's Who knows Jinbei? Wouldn't take more than a few panels to have him explain how he and however many others survived Blackbeard's cage matches and made their way out, whether any others are in his cat team or elsewhere in Kaido's crew, and we could have the whole thing referred back to and wrapped up without having to spend a whole arc's worth of time dealing with it. Would that be a worthy end to the saga?

Quote Originally Posted by TLC View Post
    I think some theories are so clearly signposted that they feel pretty much inevitable but either way, Big Mom, Mihawk, Shanks and the Marines have to get some resolution.
    Absolutely agreed that there's more to come on all of those characters and groups and others, but setting up them up to play out specific theories like memory stuff, deaths at the hands of certain characters or anything else is playing with fire. Trying to predict Oda that closely is a fool's game.

And what theories clearly enough signposted to be inevitable is going to vary a ton from person to person. There's still a couple of people so caught up in the idea of Kaido being an actual dragon they're trying to find ridiculously convoluted interpretations of chapter 999 that still let it be possible. It's a good show of how getting to invested in one single theory being the right one can set you up for disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by FelRes View Post
    The warped perspective I'm talking about is the one claiming the eyes are of a close-up shot of an elephant's face, which makes zero sense with the horizon right beneath it.
    That's water. That's the FOREGROUND, not the horizon. You have to reposition your mental camera.

Where the elephant is in relation to the viewer makes a difference.

Hidden:

Both of those are direct straight on shots of an elephant. But where the camera is located makes a difference.

Last edited by Robby; December 21st, 2020 at 10:02 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information