+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hades

Default Hades

"Defy the god of the dead in the Greek mythology-inspired dungeon crawler developer Supergiant Games, Hades. Thousands of story events and ability combinations makes each attempt to escape the Underworld unique"

So a bought this game on a whim because it was on promotion on the switch(first time trying a "rogue like") and haven't had much time to played it but apparently is pretty good since a lot a people say is game of the year.
    So I thougt why not make a thread so that people can discuss it. (be it gameplay , story, characters).

I want to believe too big guy
    3ds code friend:0404-6254-1866
    new "new"3ds code friend:0791-4253-7110 (monster hunter)

Default Re: Hades

Its a great game. I want them to hurry up and announce a PS release since it runs like garbage on my potato PC.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

I've been playing it on Switch. Outstanding game. I highly suggest it and each of the Supergiant Games.

I'm not a big dungeon-crawler, but my inner mythology geek is tempting me.

But poor Hades, he's always getting a bad rap just because he's the God of the Underworld. In mythology Zeus is by far the biggest jackass in the pantheon, Hades just does his job. Other than that whole Persephone thing.

Yeah, akll of Supergiant's gamems have been rad. Bastion, Transistor, Pyre, Hades... all solid. Pyre didn't really work for em because the core gameplay loop was a basketball game, but super solid studio overall.

Anyway, Hades is super well reviewed so you SHOULD check it out.

It also has so much dialogue you're very likely to never hear a repeat even if you play for like 100 hours.

To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

I'm tempted to get this game since it's the new hotness, but I dunno. I tried Dead Cells a few months ago and I'm just not sure roguelikes are for me.

Dead Cells is... Dead Cells. Its not indicative of the entire genre. I like RL's myself and my wife and best friend both loves them, and none of us were super impressed with Dead Cells.

It's a decent game but its not the entire genre.

Spelunky, Binding of Isaac, Risk of Rain 2, Slay the Spire, Monster Train, Children of Morta, Enter the Gungeon, Wizard of Legend... My wife has played Binding of Isaac for hundreds of hours on three different systems, but barely played Enter the Gungeon for 10 minutes. its a MUCH wider genre than just the one game. Just because you love or hate one entry doesn't mean that applies to the next.

It's like playing Zelda 2 and then deciding you probably don't like Ocarina of Time or Breath of the Wild. Or you didn't like Dark Souls so you don't like Metroidvanias.

Don't judge the whole genre by one, or even two or three examples. Try different ones out.

"Randomized dungeons with new power up combos you have to juggle on the fly" is a pretty wide open genre with a lot of fun to it.
    Last edited by Robby; November 28th, 2020 at 03:01 AM.

I bought Hades and started it. Seemed nice, but I didn't go very far. I'll probably give it another shake when I'm done with Rhythm of War.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

Posted in another thread before, but yeah ... it's amazing and my personal game of the year.
    Still not finished with the story though and i don't know how much is still left, but i should be close to the end i guess? I know there is a looot of endgame stuff so i'm looking forward to that.
    I also want Zagreus and Dusa to date but no success so far ....

Hades is a roguelike/lite that does away with all the things people hate about roguelikes/lites and by god is it masterful.

<hipster glasses on> I can't vote this as GotY as I've playing it since before it was cool, on 2018.

It was an interesting experience playing it since it was incomplete to be honest, from when the 2th layer of hell was the ending, to now that it is fully complete.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Desire's Bland Moon puffing.cinema's Avatar

i'm completely addicted to it, currently on my 50th run now and my gOD

my inner geek was satisfied

my aesthetic sense was satisfied

my terrible gaming abilities came though and it's all just lovely
    Last edited by puffing.cinema; June 15th, 2021 at 06:13 AM.

Well, my extended family decided that since we won't be doing a Yankee Swap/Secret Santa this year (b/c we won't be meeting) we should all just buy ourselves a Christmas present. I guess I'll be getting myself Hades.

Finally got around to playing this game. Yeah, it's good and I guess I'm enjoying myself overall, but...I don't know. There's just something about roguelikes that bug me on a fundamental level.

So the general idea of them, based on my experience with this game and Dead Cells, is that you have to play through a series of levels all in go and if you die even once you have to start over from the beginning. But the thing is, regardless of how brief all those levels together might be, it just feels like a massive kick in the balls.

Yeah, I know. That's the point. You're supposed to die over and over and get a little stronger each time. And gods know, to this game's credit, it does everything in its power to make it not feel like a kick in the balls (you get new dialogue and sometimes story developments each time you die, you unlock new powers and weapons, etc.) But...I don't see why it has to.

It's like they've created a game design that inherently sucks and now they're doing everything they can to make it not suck so much. In any other game you complete one section of the game and move on to the next one. That's it. You don't have to replay the prior sections, because you've already proven you can beat them. And despite the randomized chambers, it's still frustrating because I know the overall experience of the previous levels are still going to be the same. It's still the same enemies and still the same basic level design.

"Yeah, but isn't it so rewarding when you get a little further each time?"

I mean...I guess? But at the same time I know I'm only getting further because the game is marginally improving my abilities each time I play it, and because of my luck in getting good boons and health increases (and yes, my skill increasing by playing the game more). But why do we have to go through all this rigmarole? Why can't you just give me everything I need to beat the game right off the bat?

It feels like such a time sink, because it's like the game is saying "Okay, before you beat this game, you need to spend x amount of hours, depending on your skill and luck, grinding and replaying the stages and then you can actually beat it".

But I guess a lot of people like it. And if you do, more power to you. I guess it's no more a waste of time than any other game. But to me, it just feels like this game and roguelikes in general are trying to fix what isn't broken.

I enjoy the moment to moment gameplay. The game you describe would need to be a bunch of levels longer with a lot less polish overall to be a good game, while keeping it down to a loop helps to control scope.

And if you aren't enjoying it now, spoilers: you have to beat the game 10 times for the first ending, and a bunch of other dunno if successes or failures for the second one.

I get the same way with the binding of isaac, the amount of options and the zelda flavor just don't make the poop environments (as in literal excrement) and other "edgy" subjects digestable enough for me.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    I enjoy the moment to moment gameplay.
    Oh, hell yeah. The combat gameplay is great (if a bit button-mashy). Like I said, Hades does a great job of a creating an enjoyable out of what I personally feel is an inherently flawed concept.

The game you describe would need to be a bunch of levels longer with a lot less polish overall to be a good game, while keeping it down to a loop helps to control scope.
    I mean, that really all depends on the budget and capabilities of the production team. Hades (and other roguelikes) is essentially a two hour game stretched out to much longer by making you build up your character. But there have been lots of long games with more levels and content that are just as polished as anything.

[spoiler]And if you aren't enjoying it now, spoilers: you have to beat the game 10 times for the first ending, and a bunch of other dunno if successes or failures for the second one.[/QUOTE]
    Hmm, good to know.

PS4 and PS5 release August 13. WHOOO!

Desire's Bland Moon puffing.cinema's Avatar

Can I daydream about an expansion announcement (maybe DLCs) or am I setting myself up for disappointment?

A friend lent me a spare Switch (the portable one) with Zelda Breath of the Wild, Mario and a bunch of others. . .

. . .but I'm only using it to play Hades like a madman, to the point of addiction.

I know it might not feel like it's "all that" for all the praise and hype it gets, but, fuck it. I love it so much it's hard to describe. Only other game that got me so much lately was Hollow Knight, and even that game I ended up droping before getting the "good" endings (in that case, cause I'm a lousy player and could not defeat certain bosses...but that's besides the point).

The gameplay itself might not be as good as hardcore gamers expect from a roguelike, but maybe that's what makes me like it more? And, of course, it has so much personality, character, charm, attention to detail...it's just so great to play a game with this setting and instead of being an edgefest it's mostly cute and charming, but without crossing the line that makes it a parody. There's gravitas and character moments that feel genuine all over the game.

So of course right after I clocked an unhealthy amount of hours into the game...it got announced for PS4. Oh, well.

I hate to admit it, but this game really won me over with the post-game. Once I could beat the game pretty routinely and not stress so much over it, I had a blast completing all the side stories and extra missions. And yes, playing the same basic levels over and over can get repetitive, but somehow it didn't really bother me. In the end, I'm sure I clocked in over a hundred hours on this game.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information