+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hades

Default Re: Hades

There is value over making the moment to moment gameplay meaningful and fun, a friend used to tell me that is the key to making a good game shine.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Took advantage of that Nintendo e-sale and started playing Hades. Only played a half hour so far but man, it's gorgeous. Although seriously they didn't tell you what the controls were? I spent the entire first fight just pressing A (I know, dumb me). But I guess you're not supposed to get farther than one or two rooms before your first "death".

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    Took advantage of that Nintendo e-sale and started playing Hades. Only played a half hour so far but man, it's gorgeous. Although seriously they didn't tell you what the controls were? I spent the entire first fight just pressing A (I know, dumb me). But I guess you're not supposed to get farther than one or two rooms before your first "death".
    Welcome to the world of Roguelikes. Yeah, it's probably gonna take you a dozen or so (maybe more) times before you "beat" the game. But keep at it. You'll get better. And those death defiances will be a godsend (no pun intended).

And speaking from personal experience, don't be ashamed to use God mode if you have to.

From the reviews I've read, it's likely you'll die more than a dozen times.

Also, is it weird that we get dropped into it, like we're told this is Hades, scary land of the dead, and this kid wants to get out. And that's . . . it? I'm assuming we learn more as we play, I just think it's weird that there's practically no opening.

From the reviews I've read, it's likely you'll die more than a dozen times.
    I was ballparking it, but yeah, however many times you die, keep at it. You'll get stronger and get into the groove of it soon enough.

Also, is it weird that we get dropped into it, like we're told this is Hades, scary land of the dead, and this kid wants to get out. And that's . . . it? I'm assuming we learn more as we play
    Yeah, pretty much.

Having played more, I can assure you I am going to die far more than a dozen tries. But what's clever about this game is you almost don't mind dying because it takes you back home where you can upgrade and talk with your family to get more info, and can practice with Skelly. Right now I'm just waiting for that lounge to open.

Two questions:

1. How do you get gems to keep renovating the house? Are they just random drops like darkness and gold appear to be?
    2. Do we ever get healing items in this game?

1. Gems will overall be their own post-game grind if you want to get everything, and there's a lot of tricks for that. Start with the cosmic egg, choose a weapon with dark thirst, start with low heat, always fish, boons, etc. It's a thing.

2.Rooms that have a centaur heart symbol on the door will give you a heal after you beat the room. There's a couple of healing talents, Chtonic vitality and dark regeneration, that heal when you exit rooms or when you collect darkness. You also build a fountain later and once you do that'll randomly pop up in runs.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Having played more, I can assure you I am going to die far more than a dozen tries. But what's clever about this game is you almost don't mind dying because it takes you back home where you can upgrade and talk with your family to get more info, and can practice with Skelly. Right now I'm just waiting for that lounge to open.

Two questions:

1. How do you get gems to keep renovating the house? Are they just random drops like darkness and gold appear to be?
    2. Do we ever get healing items in this game?
    So many more times, it took me around 40 or 50 runs to finally beat the final boss. But I also kept using different weapons instead of trying to master one of them, I have friends that managed to reach the first ending around 25-35 runs.

And yeah, the story just drops you right into the action but each time you die you get back to the house and you get to talk to your family, since you'll be doing that alot the story keeps flowing. And you usually also talk to bosses or other characters in special rooms during your runs, and you keep getting more info to piece together and by the end of the game you get a great story overall and a ton of smaller personal stories which are also great. Even after you beat the final boss the first time and see the credits the story isn't over, it gets a closure but then you kinda get an epilogue, where you keep running around Hades and finishing all the little stories you haven't finished yet.

Also, you just pressed A during the first room?
    Have you forgotten the old ways, the times before in game tutorials or even booklets, when you had to press every single button on your controller to see what they do?

I told you I was dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    1. Gems will overall be their own post-game grind if you want to get everything, and there's a lot of tricks for that. Start with the cosmic egg, choose a weapon with dark thirst, start with low heat, always fish, boons, etc. It's a thing.
    Fish? They let you fish in the river Styx?

I just realized you lose your godly boons when you die. *facepalm*

There is definitely a satisfaction every time you get farther than you have before (although that seems like a jinx to make you die in the next room), but I may turn on God Mode soon just to get out of Tartarus and/or get some more story.

I wonder if I should start again in switch.

Humblebrag mode on: I got it on reveal day over 2 years ago in early access, any it was an experience seeing the game not only limited by my capabilities but by the development process. I wonder what supergiant is cooking now.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

I just realized you lose your godly boons when you die. *facepalm*

There is definitely a satisfaction every time you get farther than you have before (although that seems like a jinx to make you die in the next room), but I may turn on God Mode soon just to get out of Tartarus and/or get some more story.
    Tip for the godly boons once you're more comfortable and know how a few of them work, when choosing them you can press the options menu and see the list of boons. That's important because if you have the right boons there's a chance the gods grant you a dual boon, which is better than just a normal boon (ex: if you have the right boon from Zeus and the right boon from Ares, when you next meet one of them they'll offer you the dual boon)

Have you been upgrading yourself on the mirror in your room?
    Cause those effects are permanent, until you decided to change them up, and they're very very usefull.

p.s. yes, you can fish on the ryver styx (and in a couple of other places actually) and it's great
    The hilarity of calmly fishing on the styx is worth it on it's own

Charon FINALLY showed up. Sheesh. But I love him, he just stands there and goes, "Dur . ."

Quote Originally Posted by FolhaS View Post
    Tip for the godly boons once you're more comfortable and know how a few of them work, when choosing them you can press the options menu and see the list of boons. That's important because if you have the right boons there's a chance the gods grant you a dual boon, which is better than just a normal boon (ex: if you have the right boon from Zeus and the right boon from Ares, when you next meet one of them they'll offer you the dual boon)

Have you been upgrading yourself on the mirror in your room?
    Cause those effects are permanent, until you decided to change them up, and they're very very usefull.

p.s. yes, you can fish on the ryver styx (and in a couple of other places actually) and it's great
    The hilarity of calmly fishing on the styx is worth it on it's own
    Good to know. And of course I've been using the mirror, it's important and a gift from Nyx.

I would think all the fish in the Styx would be dead, lol. Do the dead fish get you anything, or is it just a moment of tranquility in all the chaos?

I would think all the fish in the Styx would be dead, lol. Do the dead fish get you anything, or is it just a moment of tranquility in all the chaos?
    No, you get rewards for the fish. Check the kitchen after you get some.

They are Styx apropriate fish, with looks to kill and puns as names.

And I have the urge to ask you Have you met this character? or that one? or did this?
    But I don't want to spoil anything, cause one of the best aspects of the game for me was finding out all those things, so keep us posted here, I'm finding it fun.

Unlocked the spear and the shield and . . . yeah, what a useless pair of weapons. Should've saved the keys to unlock more parts of the mirror. I've also met Megaera twice and . . . dammit.

Quote Originally Posted by FolhaS View Post
    They are Styx apropriate fish, with looks to kill and puns as names.

And I have the urge to ask you Have you met this character? or that one? or did this?
    But I don't want to spoil anything, cause one of the best aspects of the game for me was finding out all those things, so keep us posted here, I'm finding it fun.
    I met Sisyphus and I know Thanatos and Orpheus are coming later.

Each weapon has its unique flow, the shield is awesome for my style. I don't think you have unlocked yet the one that is totally incompatible with me.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    Each weapon has its unique flow, the shield is awesome for my style. I don't think you have unlocked yet the one that is totally incompatible with me.
    Gotta quote this one for truth. Except for the shield part, it's not my fav weapon but there's fun to be had with it.

I personally recommend unlocking all the weapons just to try them out, but that's also my playstyle with other games, but on Hades you actually unlock more stuff after unlocking all the weapons so it's a worthy investement.

I am good with the spear but it is too many button presses, so if I do a spear run is a process because it tires my hands too much.

Sword is kinda boring, but useful.

Spoiler:
    Of the later 3 Hestia's and Demeter's are my jam while Hera's is the one I'm worst with.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Sword definitely is a handy weapon. Even if you don't master it, you can get pretty good at it.

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    So far the bow is the one for me. I've always been a sniper, I love things that let me attack at a distance. And I like that your special lets you fire several arrows at once. But so far I've rarely used Dash or Cast, as I can't seem to time Dash right ever and Cast I find pointless if I have to chase after the jewel every time to get it back.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information