+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Chapter 996: Island of the Strongest

Default Re: Chapter 996: Island of the Strongest

Considering the Beast Pirate members have not seen Queen's Ice Oni Plague before, it appears such a plague is a recent development of Queen's. And I find that to be very curious. Why now? What led to Queen's breakthrough?

I can't help but be reminded of Monet's Yuki-Onna form whenever I see the Ice Oni Plague. Its qualities and effects appear to be comparable to Monet’s Yuki-Onna form. In the Yuki-Onna form, Monet takes on a beastly appearance with fangs, claws and an ice cold body that is able to freeze others through a bite/contact. The Ice Oni Plague infects the victim by freezing their body, eliminating their thought process and transforming them into an “Oni” with fangs, claws and horns. Monet’s Yuki-Onna form may not “infect” and eliminate the victims thought process through contact but there are enough similarities with the Yuki-Onna form that I can’t help but wonder. In Monet’s case, she has passive protection from the cold thanks to the Devil Fruit which allows her to both function in the frigid temperatures and to freeze her body when attacking her opponents. Without this protection, the user would eventually freeze to death when using such powers. If the Beast Pirates had brought Monet from Punk Hazard, could Queen have researched Monet’s Yuki-Onna form and figured out how to recreate the freezing effects in a Plague Round?

Spoiler:

If Queen were part of Judge and Vegapunk’s rogue research group (along with Caesar as the apprentice/assistant) in the past when they discovered the “Lineage Factor”, it may explain how Queen was able to create his Ice Oni Plague Rounds (and how he knows Vinsmoke Judge). Similar to how Vegapunk isolated the properties of Borsalino’s Pika Pika no Mi and created the laser weapons for the Pacifista, Queen could have used his knowledge and research of the Lineage Factor to isolate the qualities of the Yuki Yuki no Mi and create the Ice Oni Plague Rounds. The Oni horns and aggressive tendencies could be a feature of Queen’s manipulation of the plague’s structure to create a weapon that has the capacity to completely eliminate his opponents when released.

Spoiler:

All major powers within the New World are rushing to acquire resources and talents that utilises the power of science. Be it the Marines who have established the Special Science Group led by Vegapunk to fill the void left by the dissolution of the Shichibukai. Or Big Mom who planned a massive wedding to lure the Germa Kingdom in so that she could betray them and steal their cloning technology and scientific resources. Following along with that, it would make sense if Queen represented that for the Beast Pirates - holding scientific skills comparable to Vegapunk, Judge and Caesar (all three managed to use the research on the "Lineage Factor" in their experiments). Queen holding such capabilities would help support Kaido’s confidence in his organisation and explain the lack of effort Kaido has made to acquire additional scientific knowledge or resources.

Spoiler:

As for why the Beast Pirates would have Monet; if the Big Mom Pirates had visited Punk Hazard (acquired a Centaur) after the Straw Hat Pirates journeyed through it, there is a possibility that with Jack in the vicinity, some of his forces could have also went to Punk Hazard. During the Punk Hazard Arc, Jack was tied up in Zou but he had subordinates not participating in the battle who were viewing the feed from Punk Hazard during Caesar’s “showcase”. Like the Big Mom Pirates, those Beast Pirates who were not participating in the battle on Zou may have visited Punk Hazard after Caesar’s defeat. While Caesar was no where to be found, the Beast Pirates could have procured Monet who was still alive.

The timing around the creation of the Ice Oni Plague Rounds and the similarities it has with Monet’s Yuki-Onna form (she was defeated almost a month ago in the One Piece timeline) has me very curious. This possibility may not arise but I couldn't help but entertain this theory =).

Law is going to attach Kaidou's arm to Kiku
    One Piece ,\/,,

Law should sneak in while he's passed out drunk and swap & reverse both his arms. Lets see him be the toughest creature with upside down backwards hands.

Yamato can transform into something even stronger? I knew it. Just look at that beauty:
    Spoiler:
    “As I stand out here in the wonders of the unknown at Hadley, I sort of realize there’s a fundamental truth to our nature: Man must explore!” – David Scott, Moon

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Law should sneak in while he's passed out drunk and swap & reverse both his arms. Lets see him be the toughest creature with upside down backwards hands.
    Why do you think both of Law's forearms are equally strong? He switches them out regularly to maintain form during his fap sessions...
    One Piece ,\/,,

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Why stop there? Switch his legs for his horns while at it.

Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    Why stop there? Switch his legs for his horns while at it.
    Better yet: give him a hundred or so extra livers from various animals. Let's see what he does if he can no longer drown his sorrows in alcohol.

I definitely liked this chapter more than the last one. Funny how it addresses all of the different avenues (Law, Kidd, Black Maria) I thought you shouldn't cover, because you cannot satisfy the reader's curiosity with constant shifts. Personally, I think chaos as presented in this chapter is more reasonable, because it is not juxtaposed with both important/boring plot lines. Still, I think it would be better to move towards more focused story telling soonish. I'm not sure there is THAT much left in terms of different heroes and villains moving around. For example, if Franky is now occupied with Sasaki for a while, that would be perfectly fine?

It is interesting that the tower map features three sections with the three captains being divided. Are we moving towards another Luffy/Law/Kidd trio shot at the top of the tower? Other than that, Yamato is probably the most intriguing figure left with no clear path. Eventually, Yamato and Momonosuke have to confront Kaido in some way. So there is a little bit of awkward legwork left to navigate them there. At least I hope that happens. Having Yamato babysit Momonosuke for the rest of the arc would be boring.
    Last edited by NightGrinder; November 24th, 2020 at 08:31 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information