+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Chapter 996: Island of the Strongest

Default Re: Chapter 996: Island of the Strongest

Well, there's not that many people unaccounted for. It'd be pretty weird for Orochi to show up randomly in the third floor of the castle (plus, that's not his laugh). Queen is in the live stage (also not his laugh). And we know where almost everybody else is right now. But I think King was also in the stage last we saw him? Maybe this is Jack 'recovering'.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Kid is moving surprisingly slowly, presumably because he's taking the time to collect scrap.
    Kidd disgusts me and everything awful coming his way is well deserved, but... him collecting garbage made him a tiny bit more likeable for me. A tiny bit. Like, if Big Mom and Apoo are straight 10's, then Kidd is now a solid 0,5 (up from -3).

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    Kidd disgusts me and everything awful coming his way is well deserved, but... him collecting garbage made him a tiny bit more likeable for me. A tiny bit. Like, if Big Mom and Apoo are straight 10's, then Kidd is now a solid 0,5 (up from -3).
    Yer just jelous cause your fists are fleshy and human sized.

You could never truly appreciate the art of fisting

The Tetsuo Ishimaru of AP Gizmo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    Kidd felt like hes a new emo-like edgelord, getting brutally violent if people laugh at his motif or dreams, but otherwise is like Luffy in terms of having trust that Alliances will hold their word, being straightforward with their emotions, etc. And hes one of the few whos shown to care about his underlings, or at least Killer. Could just be not your taste, but I at least got a feel for who Kidd is.

On the other hand, Apoo to me is all flash no substance. His abilities are cool, but its hard to pinpoint what hes like as a character which bums me out, because I did really like him in Sabaody and the other small cameos hes add. The scenes just dont add up to something I can really characterize about him imo. But maybe thats just me. The only thing I can say is he has a cockiness to him, but even then thats thrown out the table in the latest chapters where the entire floor is aiming for his head to get the antibodies Queen gave him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwing
    Stay focused, cause right now you have a decision to make. Are you a man perpetually looking back at what hes lost, or a man looking forward, to what he might become?

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    Not really. Robin spoke from a perspective of Strawhats and knowing Luffy will try to beat them. Hence for them, the only way to get the Road Poneglyphs is to beat the two Yonkou.
    Law is literally denying that by searching for the poneglyph and avoiding the fight right now, and even Luffy (Brook) has managed to reach one Road Poneglyph without beating Big Mom.
    If beating Kaidou was equated to finding the truth/Road Poneglyph in Laws mind, he would be trying to get to Kaidou, not go on a treasure hunt.
    Except that going for Road Star Island/Laugh Tale itself will bring you into conflict with the Yonkou (and everyone else). The world isn't just gonna sit on it's rump while someone goes for the goal.

It's quite funny how Kid has done nothing but walk around only to come to the amazing conclusion in this chapter that he should walk around some more.

Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    It's quite funny how Kid has done nothing but walk around only to come to the amazing conclusion in this chapter that he should walk around some more.
    He is doing the thing that Luffy did with Caesar back in Punk Hazard he wants ALL the momentum going and as much crap as he can Katamari up so he can punch Kaido as hard as possible. It won't do much but it will be one heck of a spectacle to behold.

Quote Originally Posted by Sengokusgoat View Post
    Well, there's not that many people unaccounted for. It'd be pretty weird for Orochi to show up randomly in the third floor of the castle (plus, that's not his laugh). Queen is in the live stage (also not his laugh). And we know where almost everybody else is right now. But I think King was also in the stage last we saw him? Maybe this is Jack 'recovering'.
    I don't disagree with the rest of the reasoning here, but given that he was "killed" on the balcony that would be on about that level of the castle and his body wasn't moved by anyone, this is if anything the most likely place for Orochi to show up.

Quote Originally Posted by ryuplaneswalker View Post
    He is doing the thing that Luffy did with Caesar back in Punk Hazard he wants ALL the momentum going and as much crap as he can Katamari up so he can punch Kaido as hard as possible. It won't do much but it will be one heck of a spectacle to behold.
    Loving the mental image of Kid forming an actual katamari ball and just throwing himself straight into Kaido. Especially if he actually gets tangled up in it. Oda, please

There has to be a double page of Kaido & Big mom in one side and the strawhats(and scabbards) on the other while on the roof. For chapter 1000

I'm feeling chapter 999 ends with Luffy and Kid reaching the top, after Sanji, Killer and Jinbe are forced to stay behind in lower floors.

And then a double-page spread of their PoV as they find the scabbards defeated and Kaido plus Big Mom facing them.
    And then the curtains close. End of Act 3.
    Last edited by Deicide; November 22nd, 2020 at 06:26 AM.
    No, I'm not back. I never left. It's just that it has been a long time since I had something to say.

Discovered Stowaway Dorobō Neko's Avatar

Think that last line was for the other thread. lol

Except that going for Road Star Island/Laugh Tale itself will bring you into conflict with the Yonkou (and everyone else). The world isn't just gonna sit on it's rump while someone goes for the goal.
    Which is something different than "you have to beat them".
    Luffy went well with stealing BMs one, same as Roger, never beat her.
    And like i said, Law is not rushing to Kaidou right now, he is looking for the poneglyph.

Orochi has more than one laugh, at least according to the Viz translation. His main one is of course "Guhuhuhuhuh", but he can also pull the typical villain laugh

"Mwahahahah!" (versus Oden) or a hysterical one "Gyahahaha" (during the Geisha party at the start of the arc).

Now, Theackwardstation already noted that what happens here is a Japanese trope:

Quote Originally Posted by theackwardstation View Post
    For anyone intereted in what Sanji heard at the end of the chapter, it's called "Yoi dewa nai ka", an old cliche for when a bad guy is trying to sexually harass a girl by trying to pull the obi (belt) from their kimono.

Like this...
    Some more info on that:

"An old jidaigeki-related meme wherein someone (usually a middle-aged man) pulls on the obi of a young woman wearing a kimono, causing her to spin around as it unravels. Usually accompanied by the tugger saying "It's fine, isn't it? (よいではないか、よいではないか)" in a sexually suggestive tone, while the young woman says "ohhh myyyy~! (あ~れ~)" as she spins.

This is, of course, an inherently voluntary game the two are playing, as simply putting her arms down would stop the young woman's obi from unraveling."
    "A little-known gesture of implied rape in Japanese culture involves the Shogun grabbing the waistband of his consort and ripping it off so hard that she spins several circles and falls on the bed with her clothes splayed open."
    Spoiler:

So considering that, Orochi is not actually laughing, it's a fake laugh fitting for the situation: a suggestive "Nwehehehe".

If it's Orochi, of course.

It'd be pretty weird for Orochi to show up randomly in the third floor of the castle
    If he isn't aware of Kaido's betrayal (because Kaido killed an Ink-clone) then it makes sense for him to be *anywhere* in Onigashima, the only condition is that he hasn't met the Oniwabanshu or anyone present during the execution. So if he decided to chill with some prostitutes in a closed off area (because he mentioned that he didn't feel safe on the stage + he's the most paranoid character in the series) then Black Maria's resort seems to be a fitting place.
    Last edited by Jabra; November 21st, 2020 at 10:56 PM.

I'm not saying it can't make sense logically, but I would find it pretty gratuitous story-wise for him to show up here and now. If he's alive (which I do think he is) I'd expect Zoro or Momo's entourage to find him. Someone that might have something to say about that fact. But Sanji (or Jinbe, or Luffy) doesn't really have anything to do with Orochi. They should by all means just ignore him and keep running. Or maybe just beat him up real quick if he's getting all rapey. If it was Queen or King, it could be a 'oh, it's on!' moment for Sanji, but Orochi? What would we get out of that?

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    Which is something different than "you have to beat them".
    Luffy went well with stealing BMs one, same as Roger, never beat her.
    And like i said, Law is not rushing to Kaidou right now, he is looking for the poneglyph.
    Law knows he can't go toe to toe with Kaido, his super duper trump card attack didn't work on Dofflamingo so exactly what is he going to do against someone that makes Doffy poop himself, and Roger didn't have to beat Big Mom because nobody knew Laugh Tale existed, nobody had gotten to Road Star Island before to even know that the Road Poneglyphs were even important.

This time is different, everyone knows that there is something at the end of the Grand Line, the moment that it gets out somebody has the 4 Road Glyphs and is going to Road Star Isle then every major power on the planet. Law seems to smart and grounded to very suddenly go "Haha Luffy now that Kaido is dead it is time for me to betray you and try to take One Piece." when it means facing down Blackbeard and The World Government on his own.

Law knows he can't go toe to toe with Kaido, his super duper trump card attack didn't work on Dofflamingo so exactly what is he going to do against someone that makes Doffy poop himself, and Roger didn't have to beat Big Mom because nobody knew Laugh Tale existed, nobody had gotten to Road Star Island before to even know that the Road Poneglyphs were even important.

This time is different, everyone knows that there is something at the end of the Grand Line, the moment that it gets out somebody has the 4 Road Glyphs and is going to Road Star Isle then every major power on the planet. Law seems to smart and grounded to very suddenly go "Haha Luffy now that Kaido is dead it is time for me to betray you and try to take One Piece." when it means facing down Blackbeard and The World Government on his own.
    Maybe support the guys who are actively confronting Kaidou right now...
    No idea what you are even arguing at this point.
    The claim was "only beating the 4 Yonkou will reveal the truth about D".
    Everything in the story contradicts that, including Laws actions.
    Roger stole a RP himself, did not face any opposition afterwards beyond the usual, especially since OP world is not as big, and he at least found out the truth without beating BM and Whitebeard.

I'm not saying it can't make sense logically, but I would find it pretty gratuitous story-wise for him to show up here and now. If he's alive (which I do think he is) I'd expect Zoro or Momo's entourage to find him. Someone that might have something to say about that fact. But Sanji (or Jinbe, or Luffy) doesn't really have anything to do with Orochi. They should by all means just ignore him and keep running. Or maybe just beat him up real quick if he's getting all rapey. If it was Queen or King, it could be a 'oh, it's on!' moment for Sanji, but Orochi? What would we get out of that?
    Well, for one it would establish that he is in fact alive, that alone requires a scenario that is at least comprehensible and swallowable. I know some posters have minor (or major) issues with clones, I do too, but the setup is there.
    Now that we established that he's alive, Oda needs a reason why he didn't find out what's going on outside. Answer? He hid himself from the action with some hookers. A totally relatable and in-character move, even without his fear of the scabbards raiding the stage.

Now Oda just has to weave him back into the story, which can go in various ways now that the reader knows he's alive and well with some hookers. Maybe a Number crushes into the room, Law or Kidd pass through on their search for Glyphs & Garbage or - and that's what seems the most likely - Sanji's tingling hooker-senses expose his hidden resort.
    What happens when Sanji finds Orochi is secondary, it doesn't mean Sanji would have to fight Orochi. It would just be a way to flush Orochi back into the spotlight, maybe it even leads to Sanji confronting B-Maria because she's probably nearby. It's just very convenient, especially since Sanji needs to be removed as Luffy's bodyguard sooner or later anyway.

Gamma knife probably would've done more good against Kaido than it did against Doffy since he doesn't have that whole i can make new organs bullshit power. Even Kaido would miss having internal organs, and his scales doesn't protect him since the attack just passes through the body without leaving a mark.

But, but wolfwood! Gamma-Knife would reduce Law's lifespan! That's the most severe and consequential drawback in the series (which ends in like 2 months world-time)!

Or do you want Law to die? You certainly don't, we still need to find out why he's such a sexy outlaw (pst, the clue is his name).

I would roll a dice and cast a full life force gamma knife.

It does 20+ spleen damage. Kaido says ow my spleen.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information