+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 996: Island of the Strongest

Default Re: Chapter 996: Island of the Strongest

I wonder if Yamato's transformation was triggered voluntarily or was it a reaction to the sword Sasaki unsheathed? if you look closely at unsheathed sword it has something like a wrapping around it, as if it is to exorcise demons/oni or something. It could also be something to use to suppress/induce some kind of trauma on Yamato and make him transform/go wild/berserk.

Though I do hope that Yomato chose to stop the transformation on her own and can fully control it or at least to some extent. Maybe she's a half/quarter mink or some other race that can do half Sulong.

Quote Originally Posted by uniaka ikuzakas View Post
    Law's conversation with robin makes it clear. Only beating the 4 yonkous will reveal the truth about D. once you find raftel, so his conversation with robin motivated law to defeat all the yonkous so he cn find out the truth about the D.
    Not really. Robin spoke from a perspective of Strawhats and knowing Luffy will try to beat them. Hence for them, the only way to get the Road Poneglyphs is to beat the two Yonkou.
    Law is literally denying that by searching for the poneglyph and avoiding the fight right now, and even Luffy (Brook) has managed to reach one Road Poneglyph without beating Big Mom.
    If beating Kaidou was equated to finding the truth/Road Poneglyph in Law´s mind, he would be trying to get to Kaidou, not go on a treasure hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Bounty195 View Post
    Wow, if only AP had a gilding system I'd have given you an award for this, really commendable.
    Award or not, thanks! I had a great time rereading and working it all out!

Can't say I'm glad about Kaido offpanelings. I suppose Oda has to save something for his fight with Luffy (+ others). Still it's a shame to introduce all these characters that have hijacked the panels from main cast only to have their finest hour handled mostly in short flashes.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Award or not, thanks! I had a great time rereading and working it all out!
    You're the real MVP, really helps put things in perspective! Gotta ask, how much time did it take for you? Because one has to wonder how many hours Oda and his team spent planning and drawing the layout and then positioning all the characters and their vectors, then adding structural damage and how it affects the movements of any separate character or group. It's really hard not to be impressed by sheer effort and attention to details, despite how lacking I find the late chapters in other aspects.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

Why waste time with them when it's impossible for them to win.
    We saw what they could do, we saw their limits. They had their time to shine they showed us what they're capable of, no reason to drag this unnecessary out.

In my opinion it's the logical and right way to present us this fight.

"There will be an answer, let it be."

Quote Originally Posted by Zhenja View Post
    Why waste time with them when it's impossible for them to win.
    We saw what they could do, we saw their limits. They had their time to shine they showed us what they're capable of, no reason to drag this unnecessary out.

In my opinion it's the logical and right way to present us this fight.
    Why waste time with them at all?

Seriously, though, I'd much prefer having time spent adding more meat to individual fights, than focusing on each separate group running around skirmishing while adding more plotlines with each chapter.

Yeah, Orochi is still alive and likely is the character whom Sanji heard (Orochi flirting with a courtesan).

The Orochi that was decapitated by Kaido was likely Kanjuro's clone. Orochi may currently have no idea that his closest ally has betrayed him. Which could be why he is still acting in such a flirting manner. Kanjuro may still be injured and working his way to Orochi to inform him of what happened. But I wonder if the reason Fukurokuju slipped away from the live floor earlier is because he realised the real Orochi wasn’t killed. Could Fukurokuju appear when Sanji encounters Orochi? Fukurokuju may inform Orochi about what happened and stall Sanji in order for Orochi to escape (and to meet up with Kanjuro).

As for Yamato, the more I see of Yamato, the more I find myself engrossed and attached to her character. She has a determined mind, an unyielding body, a resolute spirit and inspiring courage. Yamato dispatching Haccha in one hit simultaneously while escaping with Momonosuke and Shinobu, such a moment was intensely satisfying and exciting.

Since meeting Luffy, Yamato has begun to believe in herself more and has stopped relying on her "Oden" persona to confront situations and to express her conviction.

Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post
    You're the real MVP, really helps put things in perspective! Gotta ask, how much time did it take for you? Because one has to wonder how many hours Oda and his team spent planning and drawing the layout and then positioning all the characters and their vectors, then adding structural damage and how it affects the movements of any separate character or group. It's really hard not to be impressed by sheer effort and attention to details, despite how lacking I find the late chapters in other aspects.
    Cheers! I definitely spent a good couple hours on it, but one of the advantages of the chapter dropping on a lazy Saturday morning instead of before work on a Monday is that I can afford to lose track of time on things like this, so it's hard to say exactly. Rereading goes pretty quick when you don't have to look at the dialogue, just the backgrounds of the action scenes, though.

I'd love to know whether Oda sets these things up knowing what he's going to destroy and who's going where, or if he just makes the setting for what it is and treats it as a sandbox as he works toward the dramatic beats he wants to hit. Either way, he's doing a fantastic job with it. I don't really share your feelings for the recent chapters, but I 100% agree with the sentiment here. Even if I do end up feeling disappointed by the narrative in the future, it's this kind of commitment to worldbuilding that'll keep me around for the long haul regardless.

Well, they are part of the story.

Seriously, though, I'd much prefer having time spent adding more meat to individual fights, than focusing on each separate group running around skirmishing while adding more plotlines with each chapter.
    That's not what act 3 is about, the individuals fights are reserved for act 4. Act three is about getting the characters where they belong, and warming up.
    In this act we got to know most/all the participants. It would be weird to have all those new characters immediately have all the important fights and then still having a fourth act. That's how I see it.

"There will be an answer, let it be."

I don't think the scabbards are quite done yet. Ashura Doji and Denjiro have yet to truly show what they can do, and I'll be surprised if Cat and Dog don't get to pull a combo attack.

Euphoria of finally having a concrete skull dome map aside, I really enjoyed this chapter. I wouldn't say any one plot thread had a huge development, but all the forward steps made were fun to watch.

Tama's assertion that she came on an enemy's ship has interesting implications. Does it mean she just used the brainwashed Babanuki and one of the ships from the prison? Did she come in advance of the Fire Festival and only revealed herself now, given that there shouldn't be any more Beasts Pirates ships arriving? Is it another enemy group showing up? Was she the person watching the alliance move forward after they docked? That's what I assumed last week, but the implication there was she stowed away on the Sunny, which would have been tough to do with Komachiyo, let alone Hihimaru as well.

I'm banking on it being one of the more mundane answers, and by the end of the arc we'll wonder how anyone ever considered this a mystery at all, but you never know with these things.

Yamato continues to be entertaining, but I still think he's being pushed to the centre stage a little harder than he's actually earned. Oda's probably trying to compensate for leaving the introduction of a character he obviously wants to be important until so late in the arc. I enjoyed his surprise interaction with Franky a lot more than the stand off with Sasaki. The officers not having more to say about the boss's kid's betrayal or the mooks having doubts about attacking Kadio's child feels like a wasted opportunity to give the bad guys some extra depth.

Franky not recognising Yamato and assuming Shinobu and Momo were getting captured instead of rescued was a good moment. The battle's gotten so chaotic and full of double-crosses that it makes sense for the people stuck in the middle of it to be losing track.

Another Number does down. It's clear by now these guys exist more for their place in the lore and Kaido's hopefully-soon to be revealed backstory than to flesh out his fighting force.

The best thing about the Law scene is that it makes it pretty clear he's going with the Strawhats into the endgame. I don't need him to be an actual crewmate, I just this his attempts to be serious and brooding being undercut by the crew's silliness is a gag that doesn't get old.

Kid is moving surprisingly slowly, presumably because he's taking the time to collect scrap. He entered the castle presumably at B1 more than ten chapters ago and he's only at level 3. Luffy's almost caught up and his castle climb only started a few chapters ago.

I didn't expect to cut back to the rooftop so soon, but I'm not surprised by what we see there. I thought we wouldn't see what happened to the Scabbards now that their moment in the spotlight ended until it was revealed to Luffy upon his arrival at the roof. Is that first panel of the middle row on page 15 meant to be Kaido repeatedly smashing someone who was already on the ground? If so, that's absolutely brutal. And the final panel of him bearing down on the fallen Scabbards is terrifying.

How scary Kaido's meant to be in battle is something the story's told us more than it's shown us. Amateur writing advice says you should always show, don't tell, but telling is just another tool to be used. Done right, repeated telling of a character trait builds anticipation for a moment of showing, and raises the question of whether the truth will measure up to, subvert or surpass the expectations built by the telling. We've waited a long time to see how far Kaido's apparent battle invincibility went, and the sudden reveal of it certainly leaves an impact.

And on the topic of Emperors being incredibly threatening, people like to sleep on Big Mom, but everyone fighting in the dome had to stop and have a reaction to her just turning up. That speaks volumes to her real threat level. Sending her up to the battle on the roof instead of adding her to the melee on the Performance Floor is an interesting narrative choice. How is this going to play out if she actually manages to form a tag team with Kaido?

Not jazzed on where the Sanji development seems to be going at this point. I'm not on board for another Kalifa-type encounter, but I trust Oda not to repeat himself like that, so I'll wait and see what happens next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Hey, Oda's finally given us an interior map of Onigashima! Kind of! I think we're not going to know the exact floorplan of the left and right brain towers for a while, if ever, but at least we know what to look for on the Performance Floor now. Up to this point, the enclosed space hasn't allowed for many good high-angle establishing shots, which has made it hard to get a feel for the space and where everyone and everything is relative to each other in all the action up to this point. We're already essentially going into our third volume of Onigashima, after all, and the fighting has been in full swing for a while. Let's see if we can rationalise what we've seen so far with the current map:
    Great work. Now just need the placement of Black Maria's brothel.

Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    You don't need my help for that one. It's on the outside of the dome, on the east side, but connects through to the left brain tower and its offshoot buildings (given that Big Mom was able to chase Nami and Carrot through the brothel and come out on the Performance Floor on that side). Oda was pretty good with showing where things were on the outside during the early stages of the arc (aside from Sasaki seemingly getting tied up at the wrong spot), it's just been the layout of the Performance Floor that was hard to work out before.

Kaido's design is clearly all about being monstrously strong, which reminds me... The villain duo of him and Orochi is probably a result of Kaido's old, shadowy design, which sort of looked like a dwarfish big-head guy...

When the spoilers said the cover page was Blackbeard brushing his teeth with a hippo, I pictured Blackbeard using a hippo to brush his teeth. Seeing that it's Blackbeard and a hippo side by side brushing their teeth, that makes a lot more sense.
    I accept Jesus Burgess as my Lord and Savior

Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    Spoiler:

Bringing up important subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Medical Orbit View Post
    When the spoilers said the cover page was Blackbeard brushing his teeth with a hippo, I pictured Blackbeard using a hippo to brush his teeth. Seeing that it's Blackbeard and a hippo side by side brushing their teeth, that makes a lot more sense.
    But a lot less magical

You have to remember they were also used to show Kaido character trait of wanting to died and fight would be a good death .
    He was giving them a chance in a way but they to damn weak and he had enough .
    So it was club time and we see what happen lol.
    Last edited by andy; November 21st, 2020 at 08:33 AM.
    TLG , FFVIIR and Shenmue 3 2015 the E3 of dreams .

Quote Originally Posted by Joy Boy View Post
    That's certainly King. Can't imagine anyone else
    This is my favorite theory lmfao. Just like Katakuri did something that completely changed our perception of him, the dependable, incredibly competent King is a super pervert who snuck off to play with women.

I would like to believe that but I really just can't see it given the circumstances.

That or King is a girl

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information