+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Chapter 992: Remnants

Default Re: Chapter 992: Remnants

Big deal, he spoiled it, I'm sure he didn't do it maliciously. Sh*t happens, now forget it and move on.

"There will be an answer, let it be."

Quote Originally Posted by badwolf1234 View Post
    They just went with SCROLLING JUTSU?! URGH! I REALLY HATE OFFICIAL ENGLISH TRANSLATIONS! Now westerners think it is just a simple ninjutsu when in japanese Oda reference it as a Devil Fruit when he calls it Maki Maki no Jutsu.
    don't think that's enough to say it's a df ability..especially since ninjutsu is actually a thing in the op world apparently

Quote Originally Posted by uniaka ikuzakas View Post
    Funny how people think they can stay as anime only, Like 1 years behind mangas, and not get spoilers. Like even on social media it's so easy to get spoiled.
    If I was on the Demon Slayer thread, or subreddit, or watching anime videos, I'd expect spoilers, but not in a One Piece thread.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

I think the biggest takeaway that people who are upset at Kaido's portrayal in the last several chapters are not considering is the Scabbard's sudden use of Ryuo and their ability to inflict damage to Kaido. This is the second time that we are getting Kaido's thoughts on what is happening to him in real time, even he himself is confused which hints towards that what the Scabbard's are currently doing is unsustainable/one time event.

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

I do not know what Oda is currently setting up but it wouldn't be out of left field in my opinion for it to be revealed that under certain dire circumstances like this one, where the resolve of the Scabbards is so strong, that they are willing to literally die before they strike down Kaido that Ryuo could possibly be temporarily inherited. (Perhaps Oden's reference to his "soul living on" in this panel has an additional meaning to just his will being passed on to his followers and children.)
    Spoiler:

I don't know exactly, but I'm spitballing here for possible reasons because of Kaido's dual internal monologues. Kaido's been around the block, it is very clear to me that Oda demonstrating twice that Kaido being damaged and being confused about it is abnormal.
    Last edited by TommyDunns; October 18th, 2020 at 02:17 AM.

Oh I didn't know. I stopped reading it immediately [SPOILER].
    Last edited by Shift; October 18th, 2020 at 04:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by epoch View Post
    Oh I didn't know.
    instead of repeating you should update your posts and remove the spoil.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyDunns View Post
    I think the biggest takeaway that people who are upset at Kaido's portrayal in the last several chapters are not considering is the Scabbard's sudden use of Ryuo and their ability to inflict damage to Kaido. This is the second time that we are getting Kaido's thoughts on what is happening to him in real time, even he himself is confused which hints towards that what the Scabbard's are currently doing is unsustainable/one time event.

I do not know what Oda is currently setting up but it wouldn't be out of left field in my opinion for it to be revealed that under certain dire circumstances like this one, where the resolve of the Scabbards is so strong, that they are willing to literally die before they strike down Kaido that Ryuo could possibly be temporarily inherited. (Perhaps Oden's reference to his "soul living on" in this panel has an additional meaning to just his will being passed on to his followers and children.)

I don't know exactly, but I'm spitballing here for possible reasons because of Kaido's dual internal monologues. Kaido's been around the block, it is very clear to me that Oda demonstrating twice that Kaido being damaged and being confused about it is abnormal.
    i have been thinking about kaido's inner thoughts as well.

ryuo means you inflict damage to the users body from the inside to outside, and one can achieve that due to their haki (and maybe haki sorrounding them?) directly flowing through their own body into the enemies body, right?

from that i kinda get the vibe that kaido is kinda "letting" it happen because he still has alot of respect towards oden (oden lives on in HIS mind as well)
    it makes it easier for the scabbards with their clear goal to avenge oden (thinking and being driving by him) to get that flow of haki going - especially because they are doing this as a group!

and btw it is still a 9 vs. 1 fight, sure kaido should have "some" trouble, he can't be the beast that deflects everything with ease
    dunno why some people expect him to be like that. i at least don't want him to be invincible at all, i really enjoyed the fight so far.

this makes oden's sacrifice worth more or understandable, because he trusted his vassals. that trust is pushing them to their limits now.
    Last edited by vlad Dracul; October 18th, 2020 at 02:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by theackwardstation View Post
    One could also say something like "Super Yonkou" level.
    Is anyone else envisioning Whitebeard with a glowing yellow mustache

ryou seems like another messy concept in the already messy haki.
    From what i understood, it is one of the first move Rayleigh shows Luffy on the training island. Why didn't he teach him that move during the time skip ? since it sounds so powerful is kind of a mistery.
    Oden seems to have a special ryou which allowed him to hurt Kaidou but the one Luffy learned doesn't seem special at all.
    If anybody with enough haki level can learn it, why was it never use to hurt the yonkous. The 9 scabbards show us it is possible...

Well let's put all those thoughts in the haki box, forget about it and let's continue to enjoy the story
    Last edited by Kdom; October 18th, 2020 at 04:00 AM.

Funny how people think they can stay as anime only, Like 1 years behind mangas, and not get spoilers. Like even on social media it's so easy to get spoiled.
    Yeah well, that's not everyone.
    Like I know people who watch kimetsu anime and just go on their lives. Not everyone is actively in anime/manga community.

It doesn't even matter how significant an event might be in context.
    That's not an issue, yeah like Blackbeard is a bad guy isn't that big of a deal in context except it actually can be and spoils the mood out of a lot of the first scene when they first met.

Let's not pretend the Yaiba community wasn't discussing the shit out of that moment either.

If you're not affected, sure it's no big deal but don't project your "this is all right for me" to someone else.

Not particularly directing it at you because you've made a good point regardless.
    Just annoyed with the "it's ok" attitude here, no, get over yourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdom View Post
    From what i understood, it is one of the first move Rayleigh shows Luffy on the training island. Why didn't he teach him that move during the time skip ? since it sounds so powerful is kind of a mistery.
    Oden seems to have a special ryou which allowed him to hurt Kaidou but the one Luffy learned doesn't seem special at all.
    If anybody with enough haki level can learn it, why was it never use to hurt the yonkous. The 9 scabbards show us it is possible...

Well let's put all those thoughts in the haki box, forget about it and let's continue to enjoy the story
    Didn't Rayleigh say that he taught Luffy all he could pass on to him at that stage, and that he needed more real life experience to advance beyond that? As for ryuo itself it doesn't seem all that different from what Luffy is learning, it gives you a means to bypass defences, how well you strike beyond that aspect seem more linked to all the things that affect your overall state of strength and ambition like focus, emotional state etc etc. But yeah it feels a bit complicated at times

Quote Originally Posted by theackwardstation View Post
    I guess the subject is unavoidable, so I'll give my opinion.
    For what it's worth, I completely subscribe to this way you describe power levels. Starting with Whitebeard at Marineford, the strength of Yonkou (and maybe One Piece villains at large) has always been that they can and do take massive hits but still come back for more. This is what makes them frightening for me and I will take it any day over the untouchable villain who one-shots everyone until some last-minute power-up reverses the situation, rince and repeat ad nauseam. One-sided power ratios do exist with low-class enemies, but I like how the top contenders are clearly all in the same league where no-one is completely out of reach.

Also yes, the Scabbards were impressive this week and I can't fathom how anyone can think what happened makes Kaido any less impressive. He is going toe-to-toe with 9 top-class fighters and will likely make short work of them within a couple chapters. What would Luffy do faced with 9 Katakuris ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaido King of the Beasts View Post
    Guys what if the world is actually two straw hat planets fused together, with the Red Line being the hats' rims?

Ryou is just haki .
    Luffy was taught basic haki and then had to get better from there from using it more , being in fights etc etc .
    It also clear that not everyone can use it to that level since hyo even talk about it being beyond what he can do .

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Didn't Rayleigh say that he taught Luffy all he could pass on to him at that stage, and that he needed more real life experience to advance beyond that? As for ryuo itself it doesn't seem all that different from what Luffy is learning, it gives you a means to bypass defences, how well you strike beyond that aspect seem more linked to all the things that affect your overall state of strength and ambition like focus, emotional state etc etc. But yeah it feels a bit complicated at times
    It's the same thing as haki , so yeah it's only a matter of how good you are at it and along with everything else you mention .
    Last edited by andy; October 18th, 2020 at 05:26 AM.
    TLG , FFVIIR and Shenmue 3 2015 the E3 of dreams .

Even if someone isn't following the anime, they might be following the official volume releases, which are ALSO behind.

As I don't read the Demon Slayer thread, and don't follow it on reddit or youtube, its been *incredibly easy* to avoid spoilers thus far. Same for Promised Neverland which despite being four years old I knew literally nothing about until it showed up on Netflix. My wife knows nothing about where My Hero is going even though I'm caught up on the manga.

The Nausicaa manga finished in 1994 but I bet you have no idea what the ending is unless you've read it. And if someone told you the ending, do you know what happens to Yupa or Kushana or Teto? Even if you watched the movie you have no idea. Do you know what happens in Akira after the movie ends? That manga finished in 1990. Do you know the ending to Outlanders, that wrapped in 87! Heck, I've actually read those and I barely remember because it's been so long, whenever I read them again it'll probably be at least a little fresh!

If you're not following a series' community staying spoiler free is generally pretty easy.

Someone has to go out of their way to post a massive spoiler in a completely unrelated location to ruin something like that. Let alone doubling down and posting it *twice* after people have already complained.

Show some courtesy and assume spoiler policy for something if its not related to the current subject. If its something that has long since passed into public knowledge decades ago like what Rosebud is to Citizen Kane, or who Luke SKywalker's father is, that's fine, but that's not the standard.
    Last edited by Robby; October 18th, 2020 at 06:50 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Seafarer33 View Post
    For what it's worth, I completely subscribe to this way you describe power levels. Starting with Whitebeard at Marineford, the strength of Yonkou (and maybe One Piece villains at large) has always been that they can and do take massive hits but still come back for more. This is what makes them frightening for me and I will take it any day over the untouchable villain who one-shots everyone until some last-minute power-up reverses the situation, rince and repeat ad nauseam. One-sided power ratios do exist with low-class enemies, but I like how the top contenders are clearly all in the same league where no-one is completely out of reach.

Also yes, the Scabbards were impressive this week and I can't fathom how anyone can think what happened makes Kaido any less impressive. He is going toe-to-toe with 9 top-class fighters and will likely make short work of them within a couple chapters. What would Luffy do faced with 9 Katakuris ?
    How are those guys nine Katakuri's ? Katakuri would mop the floor with them.

Yeah I definitely feel like the way haki and the specific uses and levels of proficiency haven't been established as concretely as they could be, but that could also be a part of Oda's storytelling, in that leaving things intentionally ambiguous will leave the door open for any paths he would like to pursue if a new idea arises.

I always go back and think about the use of so called "invisible haki", and to this day I can't really put my thumb on it if this is an established concept. Characters will say they are using Haki and display no black hardening, but then there are flashback panels like the one with Rayleigh in Saobody post timeskip displaying the hardening, but in the original chapter he isn't. Even a note saying that you can't see Hardening without Observation would clear something like this up, thus it being invisble to the reader Pre-timeskip. Is it for the sake of saving time by not wasting panels by showing a character hardening? Or does he want to just keep us intrigued by being intentionally vague, I don't know.

I think Rayleigh didn't teach Luffy Ryou in the beginning, was because Luffy was a complete novice to the basics, and to achieve the next level he needs the in battle experience that you can only get in the New World. Also letting Luffy figure things out for himself is good for his own development, if he's going to be the Pirate King he needs to overcome obstacles like everyone else, and not be handed everything so easily.

And temporarily hurting a Yonkou is no big deal to be fair, they are used to never being touched because of their Ryou. Just because they can put a slash or two on him now doesn't mean they can defend his attacks with the same proficiency. I'm sure Kaido will bounce back up next chapter and knock out the scabbards, and that will set the stage for when Luffy and co reach the top of the skull.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy Boy View Post
    How are those guys nine Katakuri's ? Katakuri would mop the floor with them.
    That would be very different fight .
    Hell half the things that happen with luffy in that fight won't happen in a 9 vs 1 and because of the scabbards haki .
    TLG , FFVIIR and Shenmue 3 2015 the E3 of dreams .

Discovered Stowaway

*next chapter kaido gets beat up again*

Scabbards are like admirals! What would Luffy do faced with 9 Akainus ?

*994 Kaido gets beat up again"

Scabbards are like Roger! What would Luffy do faced with 9 Whitebeards ?

I think Cat, Dog, Ashura Doji, Denjiro and Izo were all portrayed as one the level of a Yonkou commander. Izo is one, Asura Doji fought evenly against one, Cat and Dog easily beat Jack in their Sulong forms, and Denjiro evenly fought against Zoro, who is at the very least close to Yonko commander level. Doesn't mean that each of them could beat Katakuri in a fight, but I do think they would at least put up a decent fight. Now, if three or four of them fought against him together, that's a whole different story.

Then you have Kinemon, Raizo, Kawamatsu and O-Kiku, who were all portrayed as, at the very least, decent and capable fighters, with some of them having very tricky abilities that come in quite handy in a fight against Kaido.

And now you have all 9 of those guys fighting together, against an enemy they've trained to fight for literal decades, in the fight of their lives. Yeah, sorry, there is no inconsistency here, it's completely believable that they would at the very least put up a good fight and get some hits in.

Quote Originally Posted by Riddler View Post
    I think Cat, Dog, Ashura Doji, Denjiro and Izo were all portrayed as one the level of a Yonkou commander. Izo is one, Asura Doji fought evenly against one, Cat and Dog easily beat Jack in their Sulong forms, and Denjiro evenly fought against Zoro, who is at the very least close to Yonko commander level. Doesn't mean that each of them could beat Katakuri in a fight, but I do think they would at least put up a decent fight. Now, if three or four of them fought against him together, that's a whole different story.

Then you have Kinemon, Raizo, Kawamatsu and O-Kiku, who were all portrayed as, at the very least, decent and capable fighters, with some of them having very tricky abilities that come in quite handy in a fight against Kaido.

And now you have all 9 of those guys fighting together, against an enemy they've trained to fight for literal decades, in the fight of their lives. Yeah, sorry, there is no inconsistency here, it's completely believable that they would at the very least put up a good fight and get some hits in.
    Yonko are much stronger than Yonko commanders. Don't know why you guys try to pass off that Yonko commanders are even close to their captains. Kaido one shot Luffy who individually is stronger than each scabbard.

Izu isn't in the top 3 of WB. He was far back down in the pecking order. He was a nobody in MF.

Bringing Kinemon, Raizo and Kiku as credible fighters is outright wrong. Zoro being close to Yonko commander leel again doesn;t mean anything. Look how Kaido and Big Mom have treated such level.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information