+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Naruto Thread XII: This really has to be the final Naruto thread, right?

Default Naruto Thread XII: This really has to be the final Naruto thread, right?

Well, it took a few years to get through Naruto thread XI... almost a decade really... a far cry from the days when a Naruto thread would only last a few months... but at last we're on Naruto Thread XII!

Which at this point is actually Boruto, but who is keeping track? If this paces anything like the previous thread, this one should last until One Piece finishes in "five years". We'll see how that works out.

Naruto Discussion XII

THE HISTORY OF THE NARUTO THREAD
    NARUTO THREAD I February 15th, 2005-February 26th, 2007
    NARUTO THREAD II February 26th, 2007-September 7th, 2007 (Hall of shame)
    NARUTO THREAD III September 7th, 2007-September 25th, 2007 (Closed, Hall of shame)
    NARUTO THREAD III (Redux) September 29th, 2007-February 18th, 2008
    NARUTO THREAD IV February 18th, 2008 09:00 PM- 09:22 PM (closed)
    2 month period with no Naruto thread.
    NARUTO THREAD V March 31st, 2008-August 12th, 2009 (Re-Re-Redux)
    NARUTO THREAD VI August 12th, 2009-December 15th, 2009 (The pinnacle of greatness)
    NARUTO THREAD VII December 15th, 2009-April 5th, 2010 (Don't Stop...Dattebayo)
    NARUTO THREAD VIII April 5th, 2010-June 2nd, 2010 (Narutian Rhapsody)
    NARUTO THREAD IX June 2nd, 2010-June 25th, 2010 (Closed)
    NARUTO THREAD X June 30th, 2010-August 30th, 2010(Makes a man out of you)
    NARUTO THREAD IV August 30th, 2010-April 6th, 2011 (Reborn, with a quest!)
    NARUTO THREAD XI April 6th, 2011-August 3rd, 2011 (Interrupted by Bleach!)

THE HISTORY OF THE BLEACH THREAD

Bleach Discussion Part 1 February 13th, 2005- November 12th, 2007 (closed for no real reason)
    Bleach Discussion Part 2 November 12th, 2007-November 12th, 2009 (Exactly two years!)
    Felch Discussion Part 3 November 12th, 2009-August 19th, 2010
    Felch Discussion Part 4 August 19th, 2010-April 20th, 2011
    Felch Discussion 0 April 20th, 2011-August 3rd, 2011 (Who said Felch discussion went from 1 to 5?)

THE AWFUL FUSION

NARUTO AND BLEACH I August 3rd, 2011-February 15, 2012 (The Miserable Picture)
    NARUTO AND BLEACH II February 15th, 2012-October 27th, 2012 (The Wrath of Kishi & Kubo)
    NARUTO AND BLEACH III October 30th, 2012-August 8th, 2013 (The Search for Suck)
    NARUTO AND BLEACH IV August 8th, 2013-July 2nd, 2014 (The Voyage Hurts)
    NARUTO AND BLEACH V July 2nd, 2014-October 6th, 2014 (The Not-So-Final Frontier)

NARUTO THREAD RESUMES WITH THE ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE SERIES ENDING IN FIVE WEEKS... includes pointless spinoff about Sakura's daughter

NARUTO THREAD XI October 6th, 2014-September 24, 2020 (The Garden Salad is Finished)
    Bleach Discussion 0 October 6th, 2014- Current (One is the loneliest number you'll ever do)
    NARUTO THREAD XII September 24, 2020-Current (Lets see if this lasts longer than One Piece!)
    Last edited by Robby; September 24th, 2020 at 04:55 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Default Re: Naruto Thread XII: This really has to be the final Naruto thread, right?

First Post no Jutsu

Default Re: Naruto Thread XII: This really has to be the final Naruto thread, right?

Nice

Shouldn't this be the Boruto thread, since Naruto is now a fodder in his own universe?

Who the fuck cares about Burrito?

No, seriously, isn't he just the 12th most popular guy in his own series?
    Last edited by King Cannon; September 24th, 2020 at 05:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pariston_hill View Post
    Shouldn't this be the Boruto thread, since Naruto is now a fodder in his own universe?
    Boruto I isn't nearly as impressive as Naruto XII. Way less history and importance.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

*Reads thread title*

Well...I guess Naruto threads are like FF games. Each one takes longer and longer to come out, but...I don't think they'll ever end. Also, they're numbered by Roman numerals.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    *Reads thread title*

Well...I guess Naruto threads are like FF games. Each one takes longer and longer to come out, but...I don't think they'll ever end. Also, they're numbered by Roman numerals.
    You missed the part about being progressively divisive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

So I heard Kishimoto had a new series that got canceled after a year.

Is that true? Because it's fucking hilarious if so.

Oh man, have I missed the Naruto thread

well back in my day son..... we didn't talk about Naruto in the Naruto thread, we talked about 80's Mangas, Boobs and Pizza, like real men... Hell that's what we even named the thread

Quote Originally Posted by Cyan D. Funk View Post

Yeah. There was a Shiba Inu with a gun on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyan D. Funk View Post

That is INCREDIBLY common with authors that have one big hit then try to do something else. Its VERY rare you get a Toriyama, Takehashi or Inoue that manage more than one big hit, so thats not really a mark against Kishi at all.

Many times their failed projects ends up leading them back to doing a spinoff of their original hit. Shaman King and Battle Angel in particular comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    That is INCREDIBLY common with authors that have one big hit then try to do something else. Its VERY rare you get a Toriyama, Takehashi or Inoue that manage more than one big hit, so thats not really a mark against Kishi at all.

Many times their failed projects ends up leading them back to doing a spinoff of their original hit. Shaman King and Battle Angel in particular comes to mind.
    Do you think Oda will make another big hit after One Piece?

Discovered Stowaway El-Matematico's Avatar

Oda will be too old to start a new manga after One Piece ends.
    Wash your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Matematico View Post
    Oda will be too old to start a new manga after One Piece ends.
    For a super long series that spans decades, definitely

for a small mini series or doing one shot short stories like he did before who knows

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    Do you think Oda will make another big hit after One Piece?
    He's been pretty explicit OP is going to be his life's work and there's nothing big after it, and thats why he's cramming everything into it now (like robots, gangster, and samurai stuff.) After OP is done I think he mostly is too.

He'll probably go the Toriyama route and just do random 10 chapter things every couple of years when he has an idea, something the anime studios can get excited about and do a season of. Maybe do some video game designs, work on a movie. With his success he can do anything he wants. But he's almost certainly never going to do a long-term serial again. Well, he can't help himself so maybe 2-5 volume outings. Definitely nothing else approaching the planned scope OP had.

I'm sure he wants a break and to retire, but he's such a passionate artist I also can't see him staying on break for too long once he's recharged.

I don't think he has it in him to be Takehashi and just jump into another new long series every ten years.
    Last edited by Robby; September 24th, 2020 at 07:47 PM.

I see him doing a lot of one-shots here and there for a while.

Discovered Stowaway El-Matematico's Avatar

Yeah, I can also see Oda doing short stories about side characters in the OP world, conmemorative illustrations and original designs for video games/movies. And now that I think about it, isn't it strange that Kishimoto is doing none of that? Is he fed up with Naruto in general or what? He just jumped into Samurai 8 and kept repeating that it wasn't like Naruto.
    Wash your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post

I feel like in this case it is a mark against Kishi.
    Not trying to make it personal but there's a distinction between the really good writers and the not so good ones or the ones that coasted along due to early popularity.

And that's really just Kishi in his last few years of Naruto.
    JUMP even made a deliberate effort to help keep his Hachi story in longer.
    He's.. just not that good.
    The trait that successful authors who came back for a second round is that they always know what they are doing and their previous series have zero to very little leaks/flaws in terms of like, everything.
    Dr Slump, Slam Dunk, Yu Yu Hakusho holds well even to this day..and you can't really say that about Naruto.
    In recent years I can remember Beelzebub, now Beelzebub is a great series but was shaky as hell during its last few arcs.
    So I could see how Hungry Marie didn't last.
    And Kuroko Basket had style over substance towards its end which means Robot lasting that long was both a surprise and it ending wasn't.

Well basically this post is just to say there are the legends...and there's everyone else.

An easy case study to look at will be Kubo's BOTW, if it runs like weekly it will die off before it gets a year.
    And I'm willing to bet the same for Shokugeki and TPN's new works.

King of Little Sisters ~ Chrior's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Matematico View Post
    He just jumped into Samurai 8 and kept repeating that it wasn't like Naruto.
    Funny enough, for me it was basically late shippuuden Naruto in space, mixing sci-fi technology with samurai, instead of ninjas. Similar character types, similar designs, similar themes, similar inspirations, similar powers... (similar lack of quality in general )

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information