+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 990: Army of One

Default Re: Chapter 990: Army of One

Quote Originally Posted by K466 View Post
    If we go by how each act started with some time frame passed, everything in Onigashima has to wrap up in some sorta way in order for Act 2 to end and 1000th chapter to depict things outside of Wano, which seems near impossible. And knowing Oda, he probably won't go out of his limb to restructure or disturb the flow of plot to set 1000th chapter for something bigger than say, giving little triumph moment for each Strawhats like that one chapter from Fishmen Island.
    Chapter 1000 being something major doesn't really require it being an intermission chapter. What if it happens in the middle of a Kaido flashback and we see the God's Valley Incident, for example?

The importance of the Wano arc for the series as a whole has been established time and time again both in and out of universe. We don't need to go outside to get some pivotal stuff.

Chapter 1000 being a mandatory flashback seems likely. Probably a flashback that gives away huuuge plot points, like what is the secret of the devil fruits, or what was the name of the ancient civilization or something absolutely world tilting like that would feel worthy for a milestone like that

I remember similar talks were done for chapter 500, but nothing of note really took place.
    Hidden:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamiel View Post
    Try out my first game! All feedback is welcome, enjoy and thanks. Heroine: Kiku
    Hidden:

I’m not expecting anything major for 1,000 other than a cool color spread.

If it comes with a huge reveal, cool. If not, it will have a fist pumping moment and that’s enough.
    No, I'm not back. I never left. It's just that it has been a long time since I had something to say.

Discovered Stowaway

Who says Kaido will get a flashback?

what if no flashback

Pound finally got back his family that's nice.

The whole sequence with Kaido feels like it's what should have happen last time. Where Inu & Neko take on Jack and the make way for the scabbards. But instead we had a whole thing where the muskeeters ask the kings to leave it to them so they can make way and the kings transforming for Kaido only for us to be back to the exact same situation and the scabbards not having moved at all. Very weird.

I really liked Drake entrance and little speech to join Luffy. Also I guess now we know for sure that the dino squad is stronger than the numbers.

I like the dude with the black helmet design. Drake should get one like that. I think he had at the archipelago.

The one 1% have to be Drake or Law. I hope Oda is not trying to create tension with it being Luffy. It'd be silly. But the navy officer dying for his mission or Law sacrifice are both plays that could happen if it wasnt one piece so that's where the prediction should be.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnTnaig View Post
    Who says Kaido will get a flashback?

what if no flashback
    When he said Pirates always betray you, the probability of a flashback became close to 100%

I think Kaido will get a flashback but the Acts will be only 3. There is no way that the Alliance lose this battle and all the most important members comes out of it alive without Kaido and Big Mom resulting as complete fools.

You know, this chapter may have been the highest point in the heroic charge, the one that announces the descent into the darkest moment.

Kaido is untouched. We are yet to see him fighting
    Jack is tanking the whole mink tribe, forcing another trump card to be used
    Sasaki is freed
    The Tobiroppo start to organize a resistance
    The traitor tobiroppo is exposed
    Fukurokuju has his own plan
    King and Queen start to take things seriouly.

So, possibilities for next chapters:
    Queen’s fixation with Babanuki may lead to Tama being in danger.
    Kaido finally acts. May intervene before Jack is defeated
    Tobiroppo show they are not pushovers. We may see bounties (I guess between ~400M and ~900M)
    Big Mom comes back
    Big Mom Pirates appear
    Orochi and/or Kanjuro get up
    We get a twist reveal about Yamato
    Last edited by Deicide; September 14th, 2020 at 05:24 AM.
    No, I'm not back. I never left. It's just that it has been a long time since I had something to say.

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sereques View Post
    Well maybe because the Minks themselves said they have an Ace under their sleeve and that Ace is Sulong.

Carrot deactivated about 15 shipsand did not get hit despite Daifoku been there. The mission was not attack Daifoku. In this case, this giant is successfully preventing a Sulong army from getting to Kaido.
    Carrot didnt achieve that with her own strenght tho, and avoided confrontation with Daifoku at all.

So uh yea, the idea that Sulong makes them super strong is baseless, it does makes them faster apparently.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by uniaka ikuzakas View Post
    and sulong is like fodders on steroids..
    Lmao, couldn't said it better myself.

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    and Carrot is among the strongest mink members period..
    I recall Pedro did say Carrot was 'above avarage', however, Wanda also said that the enemies crucified the strongest Minks, which only happened to Inu, Neko, The three Musketeers, Roddy and BB.

As we count down to the big quadruple digit, it's worth keeping in mind that other multiple of 100 chapters weren't always earth-shattering either. They can be things that don't play into the bigger story, but are long-awaited in their arc, like Luffy landing his first blow on Kaido, or the Strawhats finally getting fight matchups with Cipher Pol. It's easy to expect 1000 to be a level beyond, but judging by the current state of things, it could be something simple as well. Hell, chapter 900 was a negative moment of significance, with the Sunny seemingly destroyed, so our big moment might be Kaido finally letting loose, and little more than that.

And speaking of Kaido, what's he doing, just hanging over the battlefield. It's hard to read the emotions on his transformed face. Is he furious? Unnerved? Studying his foes? Debating whether it's worth nuking Jack and the Number with a Boro Breath just to be done with samurai and furries? Go figure Oda would tease us with Cat and Dog's sulong forms, but I wasn't counting on a cut back to these parts for a few chapters yet, so I'll take it.

Back inside, it says something about the Beasts Pirates that even in these circumstances, the Tobi Roppo have to be ordered to drop what they're doing and help push back the invasion. There's a lot of internal confidence for this crew. They're still pretty sure they can handle this, given that it wasn't an immediate all hands on deck situation. Whether that confidence was earned or not remains to be seen.

Drake nudging Hawkins in the direction of betrayal is a nice little nod to the potential of a Sword agent in an organisation like this long term. One can only wonder how much internal tension he's stoked over the past who knows how long, especially given how ruthless and competitive most of the crew seems to be (although we see a little later the conflict between the Tobi Roppo and the Lead Performers doesn't run as deep as was initially suggested). Given the context, it probably makes sense for Hawkins to be calculating Drake's changes of survival, as a way of weighing up whether to listen to him, but Luffy is also a strong candidate. Remember back around Marineford when Drake kept trying to predict Luffy's death but his survival odds refused to come up zero? Might have left him with a spot of curiosity about our captain, and what a time to try again for different results.

The panel where King says the internal power struggle on hold is the best look so far at the layout of the dome interior, which seems to be a network of islands, buildings and bridges. I wish we could get a proper overhead view or a map to work with. I want to be able to visualise the space better.

As much as I hate a chance for a co-op battle to be skipped, the acknowledgement that these kinds of enemies once took the whole crew to fight but are now easily put in their place is a fantastic demonstration of their progress and I love it.

The choice to have Hyo call Luffy simply a "guardian deity" rather than call out a specific Buddhist god like in the Japanese was probably smart. The story doesn't flow if I have to stop reading to google a thing, or squint to read a hasty margin-sized note that barely gives enough context for it to work. I do wish Viz would let its translators add some notes, trivia and commentary at the ends of chapters or volumes, just for those little points of interest. (Or failing that I wish Stephen could be as twitter-active as Caleb Cook is for his series, given that it's a slightly easier format than the podcast, but to each translator his own social media)

So what's with that explosion that saves Drake? Doesn't seem to be one of his moves, doesn't seem to have come from the battle on the performance floor either. There shouldn't be anyone else left to come from behind the stage, so who or what did it? Also, this is another chapter where Oda plays with the passage of time a little, getting all those conversations to play out in time for Drake's fall to line up with Luffy's attack. But then, talking is a free action. Queen and Who's Who would have had to do quick work of subduing Drake though.

Luffy and Drake might have been the most unexpected teamup of the arc if it weren't for Marco and Perospero the other week. I think Drake mentally dismissing the idea of going to the Marines for help and declaring himself an army of one is a good indication the Marines won't be factoring into the Onigashima battle at all. They might challenge Wano's borders as a post-climax complication after the fighting is done, but they aren't being summoned here. And that's fine. The characters we do have are jostling for screentime as it is. As always, can't wait to see where it all goes!

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    Carrot didnt achieve that with her own strenght tho, and avoided confrontation with Daifoku at all.

So uh yea, the idea that Sulong makes them super strong is baseless, it does makes them faster apparently.

Lmao, couldn't said it better myself.

I recall Pedro did say Carrot was 'above avarage', however, Wanda also said that the enemies crucified the strongest Minks, which only happened to Inu, Neko, The three Musketeers, Roddy and BB.
    Carrot is also a musketeer, the inuarashi musketeers are above her though. Having said that, musketeers and guardians are the main combat squads directly under the rulers, meaning she is around top 10 of the entire mink tribe on Zou.

Quote Originally Posted by K. Kira XXIII View Post
    I remember similar talks were done for chapter 500, but nothing of note really took place.
    It ended with Rayleigh's introduction, though. That's a pretty big deal.

Although there were arguably most important moments in Sabaody, such as Luffy punching the Celestial Dragon in 502.
    Robin's 'I wanna live' and Luffy declaring war on the world was in 398.
    Grand Fleet was formed in 800 (maybe arguably 799)
    Luffy was declared the Fifth Emperor in 903
    The whole crew was reunited after the timeskip in 602.
    Chapter 699 and 700 had bunch of reveals about the world.
    Enel's defeat and the ringing of the bell was in 299
    Luffy makes his glorious return in 198, plus the finale of Alabasta happens shortly after 200.
    And Chapter 100 was very blatantly dedicated to entering the Grand Line.

All this tells me that Oda usually tries to have important stuff happening in major milestone chapters, he just doesn't time in right and they end up more around the milestone than in the actual one.

That said, since 1000 is a more major milestone than any of the other ones, I think Oda might actually try really, really hard to have something special for it like he did for 100, when he rushed Loguetown. You can tell he was stalling during the Dressrosa wrap-up too.

Rayleigh's debut was pretty damn important.

I wish he hadn't rushed loguetown. Usopp could've gotten such a win

? Rayleigh being introduced is not noteworthy?

Prior to this, nobody really even wondered or asked if the former Roger pirates were still alive/around. This was a huge deal, just like Dragon being introduced/teased at Chapter 100.

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    Carrot is also a musketeer, the inuarashi musketeers are above her though. Having said that, musketeers and guardians are the main combat squads directly under the rulers, meaning she is around top 10 of the entire mink tribe on Zou.
    But it's just been revealed that there are 200 musketeers, so position doesn't really help her that much.

I do believe however that her, Wanda and Pedro are the next level below everyone else who was crucified.

Woah, I didn't notice the official title for this chapter, we were so close of "The One Man Army" title that I would´ve loved it.

Man, I'm just super excited for the big 1000. We will only ever get one of these moments, and few manga ever reach this point. After this point we'll probably only celebrate a few more "100s" until its actually over.

I want to see Im's face in chapter 1000.
    “When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.”

Quote Originally Posted by auem View Post
    I want to see Im's face in chapter 1000.
    I got a few ideas, but mainly:

- Vegapunk's design
    - Pluton (if that is what Blackbeard is after right now)
    - Rocks/God Valley incident (if we are getting a Kaido flashback relatively soon)
    - Im
    - Ryokugyu (I think this one truly isn't "significant" enough though).

Are the big ones I can think of.

Edit: It could also just be a huge update chapter. Knowing the fates of Alabasta, Hancock, Sabo, etc as well is a big deal. Shanks true motives as a character, that effect.
    Last edited by Gia Sado; September 14th, 2020 at 07:28 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information