+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Another one bites the dust. RIP JaiminisBox

Default Another one bites the dust. RIP JaiminisBox

As in the title. https://jaiminisbox.com/post.html

Came pretty unexpected for me, I checked the site after breakfast for some quick chapters and when I came back a while later I was met with the goodbye message. 2020 is really not stopping yet^^ Either way, huge thanks to the people that were running the side and all the best to them and their families. And say hi in discord sometimes :)
    We all float down here!

Default Re: Another one bites the dust. RIP JaiminisBox

Good.

We have official, free, day of release on the official websites, worldwide!, there is absolutely no need for the bootleg sites anymore unless they cover older more obscure material that never gets translated. We don't need crooks getting ad revenue off the new weeklies days before the actual release.

It was a different matter when official releases were months or even years behind the Japanese, but that hasn't been the case for a while.
    Last edited by Robby; September 8th, 2020 at 06:05 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Good.

We have official, free, day of release on the official websites, worldwide!, there is absolutely no need for the bootleg sites anymore unless they cover older more obscure material that never gets translated. We don't need crooks getting ad revenue off the new weeklies days before the actual release..
    I'm with you. I do appreciate Jaiminisbox for the quality of their scans from before mangaplus/viz and I appreciate that they were so quick to adapt when official scans became widely available, so I wish them all good luck in their futures!

There were a lot of flaming and backlash towards JB for their lack of ethnicity in the scanlators circle (snipping popular series, banning others from picking up their series that they dropped, etc)
    and they were also manipulative towards their fanbase and back stabbed other groups.
    Well, I'm sure I'm supposed to say good riddance but they did contributed to a large portion of earlier releases before mangaplus and hard work is hard work.
    It's a shame because they clearly have a talented team and I hope they are able to find other sources of revenue in other gigs.

Aggravator via Destiny darktravis's Avatar

Good.

We have official, free, day of release on the official websites, worldwide!, there is absolutely no need for the bootleg sites anymore unless they cover older more obscure material that never gets translated. We don't need crooks getting ad revenue off the new weeklies days before the actual release..
    JB stopped doing jump series about a year ago and up until now have been scanlating slightly more obscure manga and web series.

Good.

We have official, free, day of release on the official websites, worldwide!, there is absolutely no need for the bootleg sites anymore unless they cover older more obscure material that never gets translated. We don't need crooks getting ad revenue off the new weeklies days before the actual release.

It was a different matter when official releases were months or even years behind the Japanese, but that hasn't been the case for a while.
    While I do think JB mostly scanned things that this applies to, this applies to a very small amount of series so saying that scanlations shouldn't exist anymore because you can get every WSJ series like this just shows an ignorance of just how many manga exist. IMO even scanlations miss a lot of stuff that I would like to read, and the American manga localization scene also refuses to localize a lot of stuff, probably because they know that they won't make as much money as the big sellers. Even among series that get localizations though, for most series you can't follow them as they come out officially. If you've heard of that "it's a service issue" thing that's basically what it is.
    Last edited by Sakonosolo; September 8th, 2020 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Though JB was scummy even for a scanlation group

Discovered Stowaway Lord Gaimon's Avatar

unfortunate, gonna miss their kaguya translations

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Sakonosolo View Post
    While I do think JB mostly scanned things that this applies to, this applies to a very small amount of series so saying that scanlations shouldn't exist anymore because you can get every WSJ series like this just shows an ignorance of just how many manga exist. IMO even scanlations miss a lot of stuff that I would like to read, and the American manga localization scene also refuses to localize a lot of stuff, probably because they know that they won't make as much money as the big sellers. Even among series that get localizations though, for most series you can't follow them as they come out officially. If you've heard of that "it's a service issue" thing that's basically what it is.
    also sometimes the offical translations suck ass so its good to have alternatives

Not really a surprise, their activity had been dwindling ever since they dropped Jump.

Well, times are a-changin'. Here's to hoping other majors join M+ and Viz in their effort and they can all find a viable model.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaido King of the Beasts View Post
    Guys what if the world is actually two straw hat planets fused together, with the Red Line being the hats' rims?

So how i'm going to the my Kaguya fix now?

By buying the localization obviously .

Likes the way you smile =D Retro's Avatar

Eh well least it wasn't a DMCA takedown, it happens. They did do good work though.
    Get nuts or go crazy trying.

Lmaooo at the last paragraph

"
    Regarding all the series we’ve worked on, and all the chapters we’ve released, we ask all Aggregate sites (for profit, or Non-profit) to kindly remove them, and not add them to their sites.
    "

Just who do you think you are? To demand people to not pirate your stuff? Are they even self aware?

Quote Originally Posted by mrsword View Post
    Lmaooo at the last paragraph

"
    Regarding all the series we’ve worked on, and all the chapters we’ve released, we ask all Aggregate sites (for profit, or Non-profit) to kindly remove them, and not add them to their sites.
    "

Just who do you think you are? To demand people to not pirate your stuff? Are they even self aware?
    They always acted as Prima-donnas of the scan world. Hope no one follows with it.

Quote Originally Posted by darktravis View Post
    JB stopped doing jump series about a year ago and up until now have been scanlating slightly more obscure manga and web series.
    So... after the official version finally managed to do same day release for over a year and they decided it wasn't worth the effort anymore to fight for a 1 day head start? Can't really give them the moral high ground on that one if they only stopped after it was just trouble.

I explicitly said
    " there is absolutely no need for the bootleg sites anymore unless they cover older more obscure material that never gets translated".

Almost all of those sites focus mostly on stealing from the immediate Jump catalog because those are the things that got the views. No one is going out of their way to translate 3x3 Eyes or Ginga Sengoku Gun'yūden Rai or the final volume of Drakuun that Dark Horse never bothered with or Nodame Cantabile which Del Rey gave up halfway through, that's all fine and fair game.

Anyone going after the stuff that's already being translated on time worldwide though is just grifting.

If a bootleg site covers stuff that doesn't get translated any other way and its a passion project, that's fine. But when they're just scumming profits of the official stuff that's already covered? As Jaminsbox did for years? They get no sympathy from me when they close down.

20 year ago when the translated release was a decade behind it was one thing. 10 years ago, heck even five years ago, when the bootlegs managed to beat the official by three weeks and you had to pay for the official it was still a thing, but less justifiable. But as of December 2018 there's just no moral or "for the fans" excuse anymore for the scans to bootleg anything that has a timely official release.

the American manga localization scene also refuses to localize a lot of stuff, probably because they know that they won't make as much money as the big sellers.

If you mean the Illegal bootleg scanlations... it needs to be a passion project. If you're doing for money, you're doing it for the wrong reason. Go out and become an official translator if you want to make it an actual career.

If you mean the official publishers printing actual physical copies that cost actual money to make and who actually pay to license it from the original creator? Yeah, they have legit reasons to need to pay people so of course they don't keep with stuff that doesn't sell.
    Last edited by Robby; September 8th, 2020 at 06:50 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Still thinking of how Mangastream was always the worst one.

Laughing at the high and mighty posters who also lurk the spoiler thread every week.

Let the justification begin!

I explicitly said
    " there is absolutely no need for the bootleg sites anymore unless they cover older more obscure material that never gets translated".

Almost all of those sites focus mostly on stealing from the immediate Jump catalog because those are the things that got the views. No one is going out of their way to translate 3x3 Eyes or Ginga Sengoku Gun'yūden Rai or the final volume of Drakuun that Dark Horse never bothered with or Nodame Cantabile which Del Rey gave up halfway through, that's all fine and fair game.

Anyone going after the stuff that's already being translated on time worldwide though is just grifting.

If a bootleg site covers stuff that doesn't get translated any other way and its a passion project, that's fine. But when they're just scumming profits of the official stuff that's already covered? As Jaminsbox did for years? They get no sympathy from me when they close down.

Illegal bootleg scanlations need to be a passion project. If you're doing for money, you're doing it for the wrong reason. Go out and become an official translator if you want to make it an actual career.

Official publishers printing actual physical copies that cost actual money to make? Yeah, they need to pay people so of course they don't keep with stuff that doesn't sell.
    I don't agree with you calling things that don't get official translations obscure though. I get what you're saying, but saying anything that isn't getting official translations obscure is I think generally wrong. And I also agree about making money off of scanlations. That's always been frowned upon, with fansubs as well. But Patreon being a thing has created a loophole, or at least an area where the crackdowns generally don't target. I've also seen fansub groups selling merch, usually of like a logo they came up with. I imagine that's fine but it's still kind of weird.

The last part of my post with the service issue thing is because official translations generally jump the gun really hard and take forever to catch up to where the scanlations were at the time of their announcement. A lot of groups/people will also stop translating a licensed manga with the announcement of its license even if it'll take a year or more for the first localized volume to even come out. Mangaplus is a solution to this issue and there are some other series that do get chapter by chapter releases but do you agree with completely shutting down scanlations and making people caught up wait years to continue reading where they left off at? There's also been times where a localizer will drop a series. And if the scanlation was killed because of the licensing then you're generally shit out of luck because there might not be anyone willing to pick it back up. The idea of license = dead scanlation to me is an idealistic scenario that never pans out well. You have to think about if the localization will even make any money too if people completely forget about a manga in the time between the license announcement and the release of the first volume because the scanlator ran away as soon as the announcement went out.

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    Still thinking of how Mangastream was always the worst one.
    In scumminess? Maybe, but after Stream went down Jaimini went ou of their way to fight anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by pariston_hill View Post
    In scumminess? Maybe, but after Stream went down Jaimini went ou of their way to fight anyone.
    Just by went all the way to change Katakuri's name.

At least Mangapanda gave us the treasure that was the pain of sabo and admiral's victory.

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    Just by went all the way to change Katakuri's name.

At least Mangapanda gave us the treasure that was the pain of sabo and admiral's victory.
    You mean Dogtooth?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information