+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Another one bites the dust. RIP JaiminisBox

Default Re: Another one bites the dust. RIP JaiminisBox

Biggest issue Mangstream had was adding swear words every where. I do not mind characters using a colourful language but if it is not there in the original version do not splice them in for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakonosolo View Post
    I don't agree with you calling things that don't get official translations obscure though. I get what you're saying, but saying anything that isn't getting official translations obscure is I think generally wrong.
    There are thousands of titles, going back centuries, and decades for the modern big publishers. Jump alone has a catalogue of hundreds of titles and only a few dozen of those are going to get spotlighted, most of them the more recent stuff. Anything from before the mid 80's doesn't have a chance. The majority of those, by default, are going to be obscure. Even something like KocheKame which ran for 40 years and was a Jump staple is never getting a translation and is going to remain an unknown quantity to most western readers that have no idea about it. Same with things like Sazae-san or Doremon. Or anything Detective Conan after the first two years.

When even the big high profile long lasting staple titles go untouched, then anything more obscure than that is obviously going to be less well known.

The last part of my post with the service issue thing is because official translations generally jump the gun really hard and take forever to catch up to where the scanlations were at the time of their announcement. A lot of groups/people will also stop translating a licensed manga with the announcement of its license even if it'll take a year or more for the first localized volume to even come out.
    I have BEEN there. There were series I followed that exact thing happened to. It is what it is. And that's more and more a relic of the past. Even if the physical volumes take a while to catch up, companies are doing better about getting the current stuff out in a timely manner.

Heck, even the series we're all here for, One Piece, had exactly that happen with the anime, where the official release and dub is a full decade behind now, but they made the simulcasts of the new material... happen simultaneously.

but do you agree with completely shutting down scanlations and making people caught up wait years to continue reading where they left off at?
    Like I said, happened to me. Many times. It's fine. There's a lot of reading material out there, the world doesn't hinge on one title. My wife patiently waits for new volumes of KazeHikaru to come out, and that only has one volume a year and is full decade and 16 volumes behind the (now finished) Japanese release.

I bought Ranma back when Viz released one volume every six months and it was super niche. It took them 13 years and a format change halfway through to get through a series in 2006, when it ended in Japan in 96 and only took nine years to come out originally.

I got Dragonball when they were releasing it as floppy comics and it took six months to get through Raditz. When they did physical Jump and it took nearly a year to do Usopp's arc in Syrup village when the actual series was nearly at the end of Water 7, or when Naruto's Zabuza arcs took that long and the actual manga was nearly at its time skip. . Heck, even with the Dragonball anime I'd seen bootleg tapes of the movies and end of the Buu saga and parts of GT when the american airings hadn't even gotten to Super Saiyan yet.

I was reading Negima in scans when its localization was announced and that stopped cold and waited for the official release.

Spice and Wolf took ages to catch up the the Japanese release.

Lone Wolf and Cub finish in 1976, and didn't get finished in English until 2002, after its first publisher *went out of buisness* 1/3 of the way through the story.

Heck, I BOUGHT physical copies of Berserk back in the day, in their raw japanese, so I could follow the story after the anime left off (scans didn't exist at the time) and after I'd bought 25 volumes in raw japanese and spent hundreds of dollars, Dark Horse announced they were releasing it, and it took them six years to catch up to that point, and by then Berserk was on volume 33, which took them another three years to catch up to, and even now the releases are about a year behind the Japanese.

And I have quite a few other manga I can't even read that will never get a translation. So... yeah. It's fine.

It's currently better now for fans than it has EVER been. Even if the physical releases take a while to catch up, the digital are more and more starting where its current.
    Last edited by Robby; September 8th, 2020 at 07:47 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

10 years ago I wanted to read Spice and wolf, couldn't because of the lack of trans and now even when it's completed I never have the time or the same founded interest anymore.
    I really should but it'll break my heart a little.

Anyway while I want the releases and licensing to be faster, we are at a much better place compared to the 2000s (jesus, it's been two decades) where anything licensed could be more than 10-20 volumes behind and dropped by officials before it even gets good.
    However, the fan scanlator/translator community and amount of groups back then was HUGE, you have your big 3 being translated by easily over 6 different groups per week.
    And that's not just the big 3 either, the lesser known series or ones outside of Jump like shoujo series, Negima, Black Jack, etc saw translations.
    It's difficult to argue that they were doing it solely as a passion project, sure they did like the series but the series popularity also translated to their own.

Despite the licensing and privacy crackdown, fan group scanlations on less popular series have always felt the same to me. If enough people like it, there will be a group translating it.
    Usually if the official scans are slower to a degree where it is insufferable, groups will still take the risk and do it with little to no revenue to themselves.
    (See this forum's series, for instance).
    Like is a day or two really to be termed insufferable? Well, I would say that depending on the scans and the current instant gratification state of things, it is subjective.

I try not to voice out without a sense of self awareness because I accept that and I act accordingly to my belief in that I do read OP releases earlier than mangaplus scans.
    But I try to justify it by paying the monthly subscription.

My middle ground and where I draw the line is when official releases are caught up or at least close to and I still choose to read it without paying for what is due.
    Also, I have diminishing respect for groups that does the same (when officials are caught up but they still release weekly on THEIR website).

For the series that have licensing issues, a terribly slow translation rate/bad translation, or deemed unworthy of being translated, I actually would strongly support fan scanlators and have zero issues with supporting them either through as revenue or whatsoever.
    For less popular series, whatever they might profit from their fans is hardly reasonable for the amount of work they put in. Context is important here.
    However if official groups decide to pick it up and can guarantee timely releases/ability to catch up, I think the fan group's role is, sad as it may be, done.

Official licensing companies should do their research and in an ideal world, fan groups can outsource or work together with the creators to deliver licensed and official work and get paid fairly.
    Just look at Witch Hunt and the Umineko series for instance.
    A lot of barriers shouldn't even exist in this industry.

Sites like mangakakalot and Eden, etc are part of the problem. They lynched off fan scanlators hard ass work for huge amount of ad revenue.
    With little remorse or respect for either parties.
    It's really ugly but people do uses them because of the underlying problem in the industry (so many magazines, different licensing for a shared platform, barrier of access)
    The solution is not to simply ease down on the fan translations but actually find a way to bridge them both to work together (ideally).
    But that's a whole bag of issues to go into.

Mangaplus is a good example and a right direction that other companies should look to follow.
    At this point of time, we are really just at an early stage to getting towards a Netflix platform for the manga industry and even then the streaming platform has its issues and competitors (HBO,Amazon)
    Crunchy roll tried to do it and I guess they are still trying but God are they obnoxious as hell.

Basically life sucks for everyone except the people over at kakalot or whatever the bootleg site people uses.
    Last edited by zeltrax225; September 9th, 2020 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Crunchy roll

Bring back public domain.

If you go on Mangadex you can see some series with their official releases posted on there as "Ex-licenses". I don't think that's public domain (because of how bullshit copyright laws are) but it has something to do with manga series assumed to be abandoned or that the company went out of business or something and nobody has picked that series up again. Lupin for instance.

Discovered Stowaway Lord Gaimon's Avatar

there is absolutly nothing wrong with scanlators taking away money from publishers, idk why anyone who isn't a stakeholder in those companies cares

Because ultimately it's publishers, not the freeloader scangroups, who contract authors and allows them to earn a living from their art ?
    The model is not ideal by a long shot, but it seems fairer when the person earning the money is the one who did the job in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaido King of the Beasts View Post
    Guys what if the world is actually two straw hat planets fused together, with the Red Line being the hats' rims?

Discovered Stowaway Lord Gaimon's Avatar

scans aren't big enough to affect authors whose main income comes from japan anyway

Hard to tell for sure unless publishers, scangroups and aggregators ever make public their revenue or traffic. Still, judging by numbers : follows for top series on Mangadex number in the hundred thousand. That's entirely comparable to favorites on Mangaplus (One Piece has about 500k, but less known series can be anywhere from 800 to 200k). And that's only one site. I don't think the amount of people reading scans is neglectable, even if only a fraction of these would ever become actual paying customers. I'm not familiar enough with publishing rights to know which share of a licensing contract eventually goes to the author (I hope it's not null at least), but I don't think hurting the industry as a whole helps authors in any way at the end of the day.

Anyway, scans are big enough that publishers did take legal action on several occasions and eventually allowed the emergence of services like M+ or the Viz reader (which in itself is a good thing). So, someone out there definitely thinks it hurts them and legal pursuit is worth the expense.
    Last edited by Seafarer33; September 9th, 2020 at 08:18 AM.
    Guys what if the world is actually two straw hat planets fused together, with the Red Line being the hats' rims?

Quote Originally Posted by Seafarer33 View Post
    I'm not familiar enough with publishing rights to know which share of a licensing contract eventually goes to the author (I hope it's not null at least), but I don't think hurting the industry as a whole helps authors in any way at the end of the day.
    There's a commotion on a propose to tax books here, in Brazil. So far it hasn't been approved, but the taxation would increase the cost of, what already is a costly product here. On article I read explained how the value of the book was shared between the parties, and only 10% goes to the author. The publisher's share's ain't much greater either, as most of the cost goes into publishing materials, licensing, production and distribution. I don't know if it also applies to comic books in general, but it's a fair assumption it does.
    So I don't think it would be greatly different in other countries.

Quote Originally Posted by pariston_hill View Post
    only 10% goes to the author. The publisher's share's ain't much greater either, as most of the cost goes into publishing materials, licensing, production and distribution.
    Thanks ; I had a similar amount in mind for books here in Europe. Where my knowledge completely fails is when it comes to licensing outside Japan and digital rights. For example, how much of the total Mangaplus subscription income (if any) goes to authors, and how is it divided between them ? Or, how much (if any) of One Piece volume sales in France is retroceded to Oda ? Does the licensing contract between Jump and Glenat (the french editor) cover it once for all with a flat fee, or does the original author get a percentage of sales as well ? Of all this I have no notion.

Back during bakuman time, remember reading that per jump page authors got 100$ for newbies, plus 10% of sales of the volumes. Give or take rounding and inflation.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

JBC stated selling their localization of NnT and Eden's Zero on their japanese release day, like mangaplus, so I assume the contract with Kodansha would similar to those of selling a WSM edition, the parcel that would got to the author would remain the same. But just like you I have no idea I my assumption is right.

So how i'm going to the my Kaguya fix now?
    It got picked up by some groups on mangadex starting at ch. 200. Scans and translation quality seems ok.

And OT: Man, I sure don't know a thing about the the scanlations landscape/manga industry. Gets me every time I read some of the posts from people on this forum who seem to be much more knowledgeable about the different aspects of the industry. Humble me is just happy I've gotten to discover many new manga besides big WSJ series by using JB and mangadex over the years.

So for variety's sake its a big plus for me and I definitely appreciate the work people put in to make this possible. Not to diminish the work from official publishers of course, but considering the range and accessibility they provide the benefits from online scanlations are just too great to pass up on for me. That's about the input I can give to this discussion.
    Last edited by Pennywise; September 9th, 2020 at 03:14 PM.
    We all float down here!

Back to /a/scans. They are better than the early translation that I read monday.

So how i'm going to the my Kaguya fix now?
    Literally my only concern lmao

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information