+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dark

Default Dark

It's the German version of the American tv show : Stranger Things. Except that it'll fuck your mind instead of just being entertaining.

It's odd how Netflix has produced two tv shows that look like each other at the same time. The whole series was designed to last 3 seasons, so there are things that are closely linked from one season to another. The writing is good.
    Every nation gets the government it deserves.---- Joseph de Maistre

Default Re: Dark

I never watched Stranger Things but I don't thing they co-relate at all.
    This is more All of them zombies pulling themselves by the bootstraps to mix two of Heinleins short stories that revolve around the same theme as Dark.
    And yeah is pretty damn fantastic series.

I don't think Dark is anything like Stranger Things. I love both. But DARK is definitely a mind bender. Definitely recommend! I watched with subtitles. If you haven't started watching it yet, you'll benefit from being able to binge it. After a few years in between with so much convoluted detail, I found myself having to look things up to remind myself who and what was going on.

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

I saw lots of ads for the show here in good old Germany when it first came out a few years ago, but I just could not imagine a German show to be...watchable. I finally started (and finished) it recently and I am happy to say that German actors that can act do exist. I don't think I ever knew what was going on in any particular episode, and yet it was extremely gripping. It's also clearly evident that the showmakers knew where they were going when they started season 1.
    Just something fun I made during the latest Survivor playing as Monji:
    Spoiler:

I've seen 4 episodes I think. It's a good and well made show, but it just doesn't really grab me to keep watching episodes. It's not boring or anything, I like it but I've never felt like watching it again.

Pretty sure at 4 episodes I didn't have a clue about what was going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Huschel View Post
    I saw lots of ads for the show here in good old Germany when it first came out a few years ago, but I just could not imagine a German show to be...watchable. I finally started (and finished) it recently and I am happy to say that German actors that can act do exist. I don't think I ever knew what was going on in any particular episode, and yet it was extremely gripping. It's also clearly evident that the showmakers knew where they were going when they started season 1.
    I didn't want to start watching it because of the same prejudice... there just are no good german series. Period. But now I'm really intrigued. Is it somwhere comparable to Anatomie or Das Experiment or Lola Rennt regarding mind-blowingness or is it just completely different (i know, this are movies i referred to)?

Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch View Post
    It's the German version of the American tv show : Stranger Things. Except that it'll fuck your mind instead of just being entertaining.

It's odd how Netflix has produced two tv shows that look like each other at the same time. The whole series was designed to last 3 seasons, so there are things that are closely linked from one season to another. The writing is good.
    It's only similar to Stranger things for like the first 3 or so episodes. After that, it goes completely beyond and actually has a deeper sci-fi plot.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

With that said, this series is excellent and easily far superior to any sci-fi/mystery shows I have seen from American writers. Reminds me that there are still writers capable of delivering complex mysteries while also delivering emotionally compelling characters. Instead of the usual paper-thin plotlines that American shows have been pumping out lately.

I guess it gets confusing for those that are new to time travelling paradox histories, I bingied with my mom and had to constantly remind her who was who and when was when at some points.
    To those that enjoyed I recommend Heinlein's "All You Zombies", which Predestination is loosely based, and "By his Bootstraps" that deal with the exact paradox system the series has.
    Spoiler:
    Well, not the splitting realities, but the rest.

Also really recommend for those the liked and like to read "The best time travel stories of the 20th", is a compilation by Ballantine Books. Marvelous Book.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
    Pretty sure at 4 episodes I didn't have a clue about what was going on.
    Well, I'm far enough to know that
    Spoiler:
    the missing kids got sent back in time
    Maybe it's more than 4 episodes, not sure, but I roughly know what's going on.

Anyway, I should watch it again when I have time because again, I do like it.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorPhil View Post
    Well, I'm far enough to know that
    Spoiler:
    the missing kids got sent back in time
    Maybe it's more than 4 episodes, not sure, but I roughly know what's going on.

Anyway, I should watch it again when I have time because again, I do like it.
    Lol....tip of the iceberg.

Lol....tip of the iceberg.
    Spoiler:
    Poor Helge...was the first to understand his place in this mess and died trying to avoid it all from happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    I didn't want to start watching it because of the same prejudice... there just are no good german series. Period. But now I'm really intrigued. Is it somwhere comparable to Anatomie or Das Experiment or Lola Rennt regarding mind-blowingness or is it just completely different (i know, this are movies i referred to)?
    Yeah, at this point it seems like it's more of an issue with (German TV series) direction. Dark is a differently produced show for sure.

And I am pretty sure I have seen all of those movies at some point, but the only one I can really recall is Lola Rennt. Which is its own thing so not that comparable. The little in between philosophical scenes in bed are somewhat similar in style, maybe. I wouldn't even call Dark mind-blowing, to be honest. More intriguing, well-crafted and well-paced. I don't know, give it a go. :P
    Just something fun I made during the latest Survivor playing as Monji:
    Spoiler:

Discovered Stowaway MajinArekkusu's Avatar

Stop with the pathetic stranger things comparison. It was done to death years ago and it still is annoying. Besides maybe the first episode being similar in some ways after that they are nothing alike.
    To support Viz and SHUEISHAs MANGA Plus service hosting all Jump manga for FREE, WORLDWIDE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version.

Quote Originally Posted by pariston_hill View Post
    Spoiler:
    Poor Helge...was the first to understand his place in this mess and died trying to avoid it all from happening.
    Spoiler:
    I feel really bad for almost everyone at some point. Like Ulrich waiting in the mental hospital while his wife gets murdered by her mother :P Even though they made their own beds with bad decisions.

The only thing I felt like they didn't really explore enough, like it was kind of wedged in was
    Spoiler:
    The trio of sons. I feel like they have a story but they just let you guess in your head, unlike the other characters with really rich personal backgrounds.

Spoiler:
    I feel really bad for almost everyone at some point. Like Ulrich waiting in the mental hospital while his wife gets murdered by her mother :P Even though they made their own beds with bad decisions.

The only thing I felt like they didn't really explore enough, like it was kind of wedged in was
    Spoiler:
    The trio of sons. I feel like they have a story but they just let you guess in your head, unlike the other characters with really rich personal backgrounds.
    You mean
    Spoiler:
    Infinity? I assume the trifecta has been causing the apocalypse in both Universes since the first iteration, when Tannhaus split the timelines. They created the instructions to repeat the loop ad eternum to Eva that passed it to her Claudia to sabotage Adam's Claudia, until Adam's Claudia pulled a left turn stopped following the iterations an set motion the final iteration we saw.

I already exhausted all I could talk about Dark, but yes, amazing series that works amazingly both as niche and mainstream. Would recommend to absolutely anyone.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    I wonder what he did the rest of his life except for those 3 periods in which he was accompanying himself, since his entire existence seemed to be resumed by those exact three-in-one moments (that and he getting both Agneses pregnant).

Just finished the show. Had to post this. I don't know how to understand "my own" joke---- whatever I guess

Spoiler:
    To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Dark. The scenario is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the plotlines will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also old Jonas's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Friedrich Nietzsche litterature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these twists, to realise that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Dark truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Jonas's existential catchphrase "sic mundus creatus est," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Jantje Friese's genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them. 

And yes, by the way, i DO have a Dark tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid 
    Every nation gets the government it deserves.---- Joseph de Maistre

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information