+ Reply to Thread
Page 564 of 569 FirstFirst ... 64 464 514 554 562 563 564 565 566 ... LastLast
Results 11,261 to 11,280 of 11363

Thread: AVGN, Lindsay Ellis, Todd, Linkara, Fact Fiend, and other web review shows

Default Re: AVGN, Lindsay Ellis, Todd, Linkara, Fact Fiend, and other web review shows

Yeah I feel like this is an absolute must-watch for the entire internet for a thousand separate reasons.

I just got through the rape part and I... that took a lot out of me emotionally.

I did see the rape rap when it was first uploaded and dismissed it as "another dumb Channel Awesome thing that I didn't laugh at but maybe the next video will be better".
    Spoony made multiple Spooning With Spoony videos so it wasn't out of place at all.
    I had no idea it was uploaded without her consent and never saw her apology, but I also rarely expect people to apologize for bad jokes told seemingly without malice.

Most of these things I hadn't even heard of and tweets from twelve years ago should really not be used to make judgement calls about someone under almost any circumstances.

Default Re: AVGN, Lindsay Ellis, Todd, Linkara, Fact Fiend, and other web review shows

Damn, I don't know much about Lindsay Ellis, but that's pretty brave and respectable. I hope people will stop giving her shit now for what she wrote on Twitter.

It is hilarious that her arguments were the same ones that were said around here, including the comparation to honest trailers.

I do care about her enough to watch the mammoth video, hard but good stuff. Raises the point that her "permanent record" had already quite a few previous apologies and context that was taken out of them to make it spicier.

I am done with doug tho, stoped caring way before change the channel.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by Riddler View Post
    Damn, I don't know much about Lindsay Ellis, but that's pretty brave and respectable. I hope people will stop giving her shit now for what she wrote on Twitter.
    I don't know if I have faith that they will.

The place is ground zero for all the most toxic groups imagineable, they'll probably just wait two or three years until the social norms have shifted again and a new crop of people can be suckered into joining the latest hate mob.

That is a half truth, talk with property, twitter is just another stop to the whole sewer system that is the interenet, from it to reddit, to facebook, to less reputable forums that endure, all the way to 4 chan, and bellow that continues in the deep web.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    That is a half truth, talk with property, twitter is just another stop to the whole sewer system that is the interenet, from it to reddit, to facebook, to less reputable forums that endure, all the way to 4 chan, and bellow that continues in the deep web.
    Yeah... you're right.

I've even engaged in this mob justice garbage peripherally to some extent because I feel real pressure to prove that I'm not deserving of hate and distrust and I've been explicitly told that that's what I needed to do.

It was wrong of me to even consider that she might be a TERF, but I just desperately needed an easy explanation for why some feminists are hypervigilant abusive nutcases who somehow manage to maintain a surprising amount of social capital.
    Then JK Rowling exposed herself and the idea that there were tons of secret TERFs hiding in plain sight suddenly made perfect sense.

"The Beast" is a much better explanation though.

I like the explanation that it is not and it is never been black and white, being between bullies, and people eager to prove their relative purity by stoming down on those who don't hold their ideals.

And I don't think doubting is wrong, after these years of scandals, a level of skepticism is needed, this is also not the best year for mental health.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    I like the explanation that it is not and it is never been black and white, being between bullies, and people eager to prove their relative purity by stoming down on those who don't hold their ideals.

And I don't think doubting is wrong, after these years of scandals, a level of skepticism is needed, this is also not the best year for mental health.
    I think that skepticism should mostly be limited to people in positions of real power or influence and not typical Youtubers, or worse, random people.
    Aside from extremely serious accusations like rape or murder of course.

When people attempt to cancel the president or a senator or a CNN anchor for having made racist/sexist/transphobic/insensitive comments in the past, that's something that could have a significant effect on our society and should at least be considered.

What was Lindsay's cancellation supposed to achieve?
    Last edited by RoboBlue; April 15th, 2021 at 05:11 PM.

Gotta love the first part of Lindsay's video being about how the Twitter algorithm is designed to create controversey

and that exactly happened after she posted her video.

On my Twitter app, her name was in the trending section. Literally the 3rd tweet down in it was somebody saying to keep cancelling her and that she "made an hour about the origin of cancelling". And when multiple people pointed out this person clearly didn't watch past the first 10 minutes, that person confirmed they hadn't, and just kept going against Lindsay.

So yeah. Point proved for Lindsay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    A magical strange Twilight Zone episode where no other education is offered, and the only option is Bill Nye the Science Guy videos

Had no idea any of the Lindsay stuff was going on (I rarely use Twitter) until I watched her video.

Thought it was well put together and explained herself as much as she wanted. I don't think I'm smart enough to give a detailed analysis about the whole situation without taking a lot of time thinking it over, but I will say, for better or worse, it's way too easy to jump on a bandwagon, whether online or out in the world. Sometimes it's a matter of context. Sometimes someone is offended, but that doesn't make you evil. And, sometimes you're actually wrong. I just wish more people who are outraged with the state of the world would actually do more purposeful things to change it for the better.

NNID: jervinnectar

Linkara reviews Issue 1 of Mystery Science Theater 3000 Comic and supporting the Make More MST3K Kickstarter :D

Kamen Rider OOOs

UnrevealedVegapunk/Ryokugyu/Loki/Rocks/Im-san
    IslandElbaf/Raftel/GodValley
    UnresolvedWeevil´s plan/Explaining DFs/Deal with Kuma-Bonney´s past/Joy-Boy/Zunisha´s story/Rocks flashback/Void Century/Rioponeglyph/Uranus/the D.clan
    DFWind/Metal/Wood/Acid/Liquid/Time-Stop

I have always had a dislike for in character reviews. Like i can mildly tolerate skits, but a whole episode of impressions is too much for me. Not that it was too bad an effort from the nerd, he did fine even, but i just dislike the format itself

Weird how both AVGN and NC have done full reviews doing a Duke impersonation.

At least with AVGN it made sense. NC just arbitrarily did it for his review of We're Back of all things.

UnresolvedWeevil´s plan/Explaining DFs/Deal with Kuma-Bonney´s past/Joy-Boy/Zunisha´s story/Rocks flashback/Void Century/Rioponeglyph/Uranus/the D.clan

We're getting two AVGN episodes a month this year?

James Stephanie Sterling's latest video starts off as a "celebration" of them getting under 900,000 subscribers due to them coming out as non-binary, but then at around the 16 minute mark, they get serious and talk about the openly transphobic shit they've experienced on Youtube and social media, especially since they came out.

So, just be warned when you get to the 16 minute mark.
    NNID: TrowaAyanami
    3DS: 2964-8696-4030

I've been subscribed to Sterling for years but I've been considering unsubscribing for a long long time. I actually did once then then resubbed. NOT because of the trans thing, hell, I celebrated and congratulated them on that.

But because they make the same video every week, and the same jokes. I don't like their wrestling characters, or the cornflakes homoculus, or the royal pissed of lady... don't like any of the characters. I don't like the spliced in awkward commercials.

I'm fie with playing with the figures and the bogglins, that brings them joy to share, that's fine.

I don't like that the content, however important it is to call out industry shmucks, is basically copy-pasted from last week, from last month, from last year. It gets repetitive and I've just been skipping videos more and more. Yes, the game industry sucks. Yes the people at the top suck. Yes the employees need to be treated better. Yes pre-orders and most live services are a scam. But talk about SOMETHING ELSE.

There's no more love for dynasty warriors games or hyping up stuff like Warframe or Children of Morta or The Sexy Brutale.

I know, "Positive review videos only get half as many views as negative ones" and I totally get that, they've done at least 4 different videos on that exact subject, but I like the positive stuff introducing me to new things.

I miss playing Chains of Love, or putting in clips from a dozen different companies to fuck with copyright bots.

So I want to unsub because the content has just been... not fun for a while....

but fuck those trans-phobic assholes. I'll keep my sub just to spite them.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    I've been subscribed to Sterling for years but I've been considering unsubscribing for a long long time. I actually did once then then resubbed. NOT because of the trans thing, hell, I celebrated and congratulated them on that.

But because they make the same video every week, and the same jokes. I don't like their wrestling characters, or the cornflakes homoculus, or the royal pissed of lady... don't like any of the characters. I don't like the spliced in awkward commercials.

I'm fie with playing with the figures and the bogglins, that brings them joy to share, that's fine.

I don't like that the content, however important it is to call out industry shmucks, is basically copy-pasted from last week, from last month, from last year. It gets repetitive and I've just been skipping videos more and more. Yes, the game industry sucks. Yes the people at the top suck. Yes the employees need to be treated better. Yes pre-orders and most live services are a scam. But talk about SOMETHING ELSE.

There's no more love for dynasty warriors games or hyping up stuff like Warframe or Children of Morta or The Sexy Brutale.

I know, "Positive review videos only get half as many views as negative ones" and I totally get that, they've done at least 4 different videos on that exact subject, but I like the positive stuff introducing me to new things.

I miss playing Chains of Love, or putting in clips from a dozen different companies to fuck with copyright bots.

I hadn't really given it a lot of thought, but that's exactly why I stopped clicking on their videos.
    Over time Youtube stopped recommending me new videos so I'd end up watching about one a month or less.

I'm fine with them railing on about how awful the game industry is in each video, the problem is that they've clearly gotten very bitter about the lack of change and it's made them a lot less creative.

The best rant-based Youtubers were always able to pace out the rage with a certain number of funny jokes and colorful analogies, and Jim's clearly losing their ability to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post

So you treat them different, because they are transphobic in the end?
    When someone creates content you don´t like, you unsub, but here you won´t do the same...don´t know, doesn´t seem right for me.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information