+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: One Piece Special Box Sets, on sale 4th September in Japan

Default One Piece Special Box Sets, on sale 4th September in Japan

Shueisha announces 3 One Piece Special Box Sets that will be on sale next 4th September in Japan!!

This boxes will recap 3 One Piece arcs (East Blue, Arabasta and Skypiea) in 3 special Volumes each one, with more pages and a special deluxe desing.

Default Re: One Piece Special Box Sets, on sale 4th September in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by redon View Post
    This boxes will recap 3 One Piece arcs (East Blue, Arabasta and Skypiea) in 3 special Volumes each one, with more pages and a special deluxe desing.
    With more pages???

I love box sets, it's all I buy, but I don't think i'd like this. It's not in English anyway. Gotta wait at least 2 years after vol 96 is in English til there's a sign of the 4th box set

So OP jojonium? Nice.

So roughly 3 - 4 standard volumes per book. Any indication if these will be paperback or hardcover? I feel like, for that page count, paperback might be a bit unwieldy and the spine would be prone to breaking. I have paperback novels that are are 800+ pages, but the paper is probably a bit thicker for manga. Like, I just finished reading 11/22/63 a few days ago. It's about 850 pages. Paperback was fine, but I'm also pretty careful with my books. Not intentionally, just force of habit. That said, it was a fairly large page size.

I'm really interested to see if these are a larger format than standard volumes, if they have hardcovers, and if they have color pages.
    Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Jimbei, Carrot, Vivi, Smoker

"ONE PIECE, IT EXISTS" - The Great Pirate Edward Newgate

Just saying... I'm 99% positive those are just pictures of the boxes themselves. The contents, just like the Viz box sets, are going to be the normal volumes you can already buy. You can tell from the way that ad says "For readers who already have the volumes, we are working on a way to sell just the box and will provide an update in future issues of Weekly Jump."

Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    Just saying... I'm 99% positive those are just pictures of the boxes themselves. The contents, just like the Viz box sets, are going to be the normal volumes you can already buy. You can tell from the way that ad says "For readers who already have the volumes, we are working on a way to sell just the box and will provide an update in future issues of Weekly Jump."
    Ah, I see. I hope that there are eventually Jojonium type of re-releases for One Piece. Not to give you more work, but something like a 'deluxe' edition in Japan as the basis for a high quality English re-release with 'Zoro' and updated translation for the earlier arcs would be great. The biggest issue I have with the regular Viz volumes is that they're hard to open to read the center of the page without bending the covers. Oda likes to draw things in the center of the page. Lots of double page spreads, and lots of panel layouts that leave art or even text right on the center line. The Viz Signature volumes like 20th Century Boys and Pluto are great. Slightly larger page size, color pages included, easy to open and see the center of the page without bending the cover and spine, and the paper quality is way better. Pages don't yellow unlike standard volumes. Some of the One Piece volumes I have had since 2003 / 2004 have yellowed pretty significantly because they're in a room with lots of sunlight.
    Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Jimbei, Carrot, Vivi, Smoker

Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    "For readers who already have the volumes, we are working on a way to sell just the box and will provide an update in future issues of Weekly Jump."
    I wish Viz would do something like this with their box sets, or at least offer the extras that come in them separately. I'd love to have Strong World in my collection, but I really don't want to rebuy 20 volumes I already have just to get it. If I was going to be dramatic about it, I'd say it almost feels like a punishment for getting the volumes day one for so long.

That said, these new box sets look absolutely gorgeous, especially with the volumes compiled into those big chunky tomes and given definitive story arc start and end points. I suppose time will tell if they rounded the arcs to the nearest volume or if they actually break on the exact chapter the story is done (which is preferable), but just at a glance this looks like a format that would be great to see the whole series in eventually.

Depending on the price I'd consider getting these for a collector's item, but we'll see what the international shipping situation is between Australia and Japan come September.

Quote Originally Posted by Vongola_Boss_XI View Post
    Ah, I see. I hope that there are eventually Jojonium type of re-releases for One Piece. Not to give you more work, but something like a 'deluxe' edition in Japan as the basis for a high quality English re-release with 'Zoro' and updated translation for the earlier arcs would be great. The biggest issue I have with the regular Viz volumes is that they're hard to open to read the center of the page without bending the covers. Oda likes to draw things in the center of the page. Lots of double page spreads, and lots of panel layouts that leave art or even text right on the center line. The Viz Signature volumes like 20th Century Boys and Pluto are great. Slightly larger page size, color pages included, easy to open and see the center of the page without bending the cover and spine, and the paper quality is way better. Pages don't yellow unlike standard volumes. Some of the One Piece volumes I have had since 2003 / 2004 have yellowed pretty significantly because they're in a room with lots of sunlight.
    Did you know though, that the Japanese volumes are even smaller than the regular English ones, with stiffer spines as well? I've put the two side by side and tbh it's night and day what we get vs what they get in terms of middle-of-spread readability.

I'm 100% there for an even bigger, nicer release though. And definitely for an updated translation. If they can do it for Fullmetal Alchemist they can certainly do it for One Piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    I wish Viz would do something like this with their box sets, or at least offer the extras that come in them separately. I'd love to have Strong World in my collection, but I really don't want to rebuy 20 volumes I already have just to get it. If I was going to be dramatic about it, I'd say it almost feels like a punishment for getting the volumes day one for so long.
    I'm tempted to buy the individual volumes in my wait for the next box set, so I somewhat get the feeling

If this is a chance for an updated translation im all for it, tho i doubt thats gonna happen right now that the manga is still ongoing. How many years did it take for fullmetal alchemist to get a new translation?

Quote Originally Posted by RevolutionaryOfThe6Paths View Post
    If this is a chance for an updated translation im all for it, tho i doubt thats gonna happen right now that the manga is still ongoing. How many years did it take for fullmetal alchemist to get a new translation?
    FMA finished in 2011, the updated Fullmetal Edition started coming out in 2018, and is still ongoing since it's an 18 book set. Not the most encouraging gap, I know.

I'm torn on when would be the right time to rewrite One Piece. Obviously it'd be great to have it as soon as possible, but one of the key things in an update would be to get the foreshadowing and consistency with later reveals right now that we have the benefit of hindsight. You'd think we'd be safe on that point after 20 years, but one of the best examples is Laugh Tale, which would still have been wrong if we got our update as recently as a year ago. Things like that make it seem like the best future-proofing is to just wait until it's over.

But man, the selfish and impatient part of me still wants it noooow

FMA finished in 2011, the updated Fullmetal Edition started coming out in 2018, and is still ongoing since it's an 18 book set. Not the most encouraging gap, I know.

I'm torn on when would be the right time to rewrite One Piece. Obviously it'd be great to have it as soon as possible, but one of the key things in an update would be to get the foreshadowing and consistency with later reveals right now that we have the benefit of hindsight. You'd think we'd be safe on that point after 20 years, but one of the best examples is Laugh Tale, which would still have been wrong if we got our update as recently as a year ago. Things like that make it seem like the best future-proofing is to just wait until it's over.

But man, the selfish and impatient part of me still wants it noooow
    ah shit so i bought the box set with the old translation damn it

i totally get you. who doesnt want a definitive one piece manga release (or close to definitive)
    Last edited by RevolutionaryOfThe6Paths; July 17th, 2020 at 07:46 AM.

King of Little Sisters ~ Chrior's Avatar

Oh man, this is definitely cool! I really really agree with you guys. I hope this is the first step to getting hard cover big tomes with a new Stephen translation of the entire series from the beginning. But no matter how hyped this makes me, I agree with Captain M regarding the timing. It's better to wait until the series is over before we get a new, definitive translation, in order to account for all possible reveals that are still to come and get EVERYTHING consistent once and for all. For now, I think I will still buy the regular japanese volumes. It would feel wrong to not complete a collection I have already started and invested greatly in. But after the series is over, and in order to leave a proper "legacy" to my kids, I would totally buy these box sets with a new definitive translation (since I don't expect my kids to learn japanese ). Heck, I hope whoever edits OP in Portugal will take this chance to properly translate it into Portuguese and try to get OP properly selling over here. This is what we've needed ever since the timeskip.

I think the consistently falling sales numbers have finally gotten the guys at Shueisha thinking of new marketing strategies for the series after such a long time of success.

Discovered Stowaway MajinArekkusu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RevolutionaryOfThe6Paths View Post
    ah shit so i bought the box set with the old translation damn it
    Wait, I have an older FMA boxset, but still haven't read it. You telling me there is something wrong with the translation?
    To support Viz and SHUEISHAs MANGA Plus service hosting all Jump manga for FREE, WORLDWIDE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version.

Quote Originally Posted by MajinArekkusu View Post
    Wait, I have an older FMA boxset, but still haven't read it. You telling me there is something wrong with the translation?
    As far as I know, the translation itself hasn't changed. I bought the original volumes of FMA as they released and never noticed any glaring translation issues.

There is a new edition being released presently with hardcover, color pages, glossy paper, and a larger page size. They're nice, but the binding is actually a little too stiff. Only real issue with them. The only difference I can tell between the actual content is that they left the Japanese sound effects in the new edition, but the standard volumes have translated sound effects.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

That said, these new box sets look absolutely gorgeous, especially with the volumes compiled into those big chunky tomes and given definitive story arc start and end points. I suppose time will tell if they rounded the arcs to the nearest volume or if they actually break on the exact chapter the story is done (which is preferable), but just at a glance this looks like a format that would be great to see the whole series in eventually.

Depending on the price I'd consider getting these for a collector's item, but we'll see what the international shipping situation is between Australia and Japan come September.

Did you know though, that the Japanese volumes are even smaller than the regular English ones, with stiffer spines as well? I've put the two side by side and tbh it's night and day what we get vs what they get in terms of middle-of-spread readability.

I'm 100% there for an even bigger, nicer release though. And definitely for an updated translation. If they can do it for Fullmetal Alchemist they can certainly do it for One Piece.
    Yeah, that is a good point. I do have a Japanese copy of Wanted and can see the difference in page size / paper quality. We do have it pretty good all things considered.

Quote Originally Posted by MajinArekkusu View Post
    i found the review below very helpful
    http://girlsincapes.com/2018/05/28/f...al-edition-v1/

I can say with great certainty, with nudging from yours truly, forces at the very pinnacle of the pyramid of OP want there to be a fully encompassing 'Stephen-lation'.

The business reality of it is extremely difficult. But on this side, the very top of the top wants there to be an updated English translation.

On FMA: yeah, I'm pretty sure the new release is just a smoothing over and re-lettering of what came before. From what I've heard, the old version had a few odd naming choices, but nothing as egregious as One Piece had. Take that with a grain of salt though, because I haven't read the old Viz one all the way through. It was only the Chuang Yi English translation available here for a long time. One big change that is worth noting is that the original Viz release censored Greed's crucifixion, but the Fullmetal Edition restores it to its original form:

Also, Vongola, the Fullmetal editions do still have English sound effects, but I think they've been completely redone from the original release, presumably bringing them to a more modern standard.

I do wish they'd found a way to change up the “@#$%…" swearing though. It feels really at odds with the tone of the series, even if Arakawa herself did use something similar for one or two gag scenes throughout.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I can say with great certainty, with nudging from yours truly, forces at the very pinnacle of the pyramid of OP want there to be a fully encompassing 'Stephen-lation'.

The business reality of it is extremely difficult. But on this side, the very top of the top wants there to be an updated English translation.
    It's very reassuring to hear there's such a push for it, even if it seems like it still won't actually happen for a while.

I'd prefer to wait until a Kanzenban happens (which means after the series ends) if there is ever an updated translation.

King of Little Sisters ~ Chrior's Avatar

Best news regarding OP in a looong while. But I hope that push can wait until the series is (close to) over, as I and others have said. Although I'd love to have it right away, it's better to have every fact available in order to ensure the best definitive result possible.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information