+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 52 of 52

Thread: One Piece Special Box Sets, on sale 4th September in Japan

  1. #41
    Don't know Khamolen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Aquidneck Island

    Default Re: One Piece Special Box Sets, on sale 4th September in Japan

    I hope they also fixed Gum-Gum Tree.

    3DS FC: 0619-3258-8245

  2. #42

    Default Re: One Piece Special Box Sets, on sale 4th September in Japan

    Quote Originally Posted by Kdom View Post
    isn't that what Stephen said from the start ? Why the surprise ?
    I did find his comment about having the boxes available separately a little confusing, but it's not impossible to think they could design omnibus tomes to take up the same amount of shelf space as individual volumes.

    Quote Originally Posted by G1Ravage View Post
    Ha! They changed Arabasta to Alabasta from the promo shots to the final product, apparently.
    But is it still going to be Arabasta inside the actual book?
    Spoiler:




    Not that it isn't flexible in the raw artwork as well...

    Spoiler:




    Alabasta and Arabasta is a schrodinger's romanisation and I don't think we'll ever have a definitive answer.

  3. #43

    Default Re: One Piece Special Box Sets, on sale 4th September in Japan

    Nobody pays attention to my posts!

  4. #44
    Discovered Stowaway Zeorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Unknown

    Default Re: One Piece Special Box Sets, on sale 4th September in Japan

    Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    Nobody pays attention to my posts!
    I saw you said they would just hold regular volumes and thought, "That is a very strange design then, but I'll postpone final judgement until I see pictures of them with books inside." Then I saw them and thought, "Nope, I still truly don't understand the design of these at all."

    Honestly, they should have just covered them with One Piece art like the color spreads and famous scenes in my opinion. The fake volume-spines and whatever that background art style is doesn't pique my interest.

    Also, if you have the Translatosaurus fruit, are you a member of Kaido's crew?

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post

    Alabasta and Arabasta is a schrodinger's romanisation and I don't think we'll ever have a definitive answer.
    L and R are a pain when translating from Japanese into English. If it is some made-up foreign sounding word I'd say whether it is R or L could be left up to the creator. The clear errors to me are when they seem to be based on words that exist in English or other languages but then change them. For me, I always thought that it was named after the mineral alabaster so call it "Alabaster," (the rock is アラバスター and the country is アラバスタ) so at the very least Arabasta just seems wrong. Of course one could make the argument that when you learn how to write Japanese in English their R/L sounds are always written with R for Japanese words. For example, the Japanese word "samurai" isn't written "samulai" or "karaoke" as "kalaoke." But calling a character "Malsharr" instead of "Marshall" will just never sit well with me.
    Avatar Artist: Aapo Niemi

  5. #45

    Default Re: One Piece Special Box Sets, on sale 4th September in Japan

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeorn View Post
    L and R are a pain when translating from Japanese into English. If it is some made-up foreign sounding word I'd say whether it is R or L could be left up to the creator. The clear errors to me are when they seem to be based on words that exist in English or other languages but then change them. For me, I always thought that it was named after the mineral alabaster so call it "Alabaster," (the rock is アラバスター and the country is アラバスタ) so at the very least Arabasta just seems wrong. Of course one could make the argument that when you learn how to write Japanese in English their R/L sounds are always written with R for Japanese words. For example, the Japanese word "samurai" isn't written "samulai" or "karaoke" as "kalaoke." But calling a character "Malsharr" instead of "Marshall" will just never sit well with me.
    Believe me I know it, I just think the Alabasta example is one of the best demonstrations of just how fluid it can be (and a great clap back for the people out there who think every romanisation used in the manga art has to automatically be canon). I also prefer Alabasta, personally. The association with the mineral, and also the fact that its name could be used as a descriptor for the colour of sand, is a good one, but also (and perhaps most importantly) it's what I heard first. I can see the case for Arabasta, what with Egypt being an Arab nation, but to actually reference that so directly in the fictional version feels... on the nose, to say the least.

    Similar note, the name of the Alabastian royal family has been Nefeltari and the more historically accurate Nefertari in different instances, and there's plenty of other examples throughout the series.

  6. #46

    Default Re: One Piece Special Box Sets, on sale 4th September in Japan

    I dig the designs, gives them a nice marbled look. Little disappointing that the "three books" is just a flat background, but I guess the whole point is that they look good on your shelf. And it'll offer some protection for the volumes, make them easier to move, etc.

    Would love to get them... but I doubt my volumes would fit.

  7. #47

    Default Re: One Piece Special Box Sets, on sale 4th September in Japan

    There's also the mystery of R/Louge town. Is it Rogue like a thief? Or Logue like a prologue? Need Oda to specifically weigh in on that.

    Then there's Shilliew/Shiryu, which has now officially been both ways even in Japanese.

    Laugh Tale is a weeeird one because no one caught that for 22 years, so it feels like a more recent concrete decision from Oda as of the last movie than necessarily something he always intended. A Band of the Hawk/Falcon thing..

    And sorry, Levely will always be absurd. SUre maybe its supposed to be "all things are level" but it does NOT work in English. Reverie is maybe less appropriate and it makes sense.

    Foreign languages are the one area where author's intent isn't 100% the way to go. On almost everything else Oda is the defacto go-to always right, but he's not fluent in English, nor does he care to be, so his picking out words to be a certain way just... isn't quite always right.

    Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    Nobody pays attention to my posts!
    To be fair, the actual pictures were really confusing and looked like omnibus versions, no matter what the description said.

    Untill we found out that's just back of the box art.
    Last edited by Robby; July 23rd, 2020 at 10:11 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

  8. #48
    Discovered Stowaway Ivotas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    福岡

    Default Re: One Piece Special Box Sets, on sale 4th September in Japan

    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    There's also the mystery of R/Louge town. Is it Rogue like a thief? Or Logue like a prologue? Need Oda to specifically way in on that.
    There really isn't much of a mystery here going on tbh. I admit that back in the old days I was a strong defender of finding the ideal romanization for every name in One Piece but after moving to Japan I just came to realize that most of the Japanese people are either unaware of the r/l difference or that they simply don't care. And since OP is primarily written for a Japanese audience I think we should just roll with it and accept that there'll always be more ways to romanize names. Personally I came to appreciate the fact, that if you're reading it as ローグ it can pretty much mean both 'rogue' and the 'logue' in prologue/epilogue.

    Laugh Tale is a weeeird one because no one caught that for 22 years, so it feels like a more recent concrete decision from Oda as of the last movie than necessarily something he always intended. A Band of the Hawk/Falcon thing..
    Ahem, ahem... not exactly Laugh Tale but pretty close I would say.

  9. #49

    Default Re: One Piece Special Box Sets, on sale 4th September in Japan

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivotas View Post
    Ahem, ahem... not exactly Laugh Tale but pretty close I would say.
    Neat.

    I can go with "Oda intended that all along" because probably he did. BUT the anime with the latest movie started pronouncing it, not differently perse, but more deliberately. With more emphasis on dividing the parts. And obviously it was never officially romanized until that point.

    So if Laugh Tale was always Oda's intent, he didn't see the point or feel the need to emphasize and clarify that until recently, or didn't even realize it might be unclear, is all I'm saying.

    Of course, changing the pronunciation in Japanese is just adding a slight gap in the name, while changing it in English is completely reworking the syllables and that memo never reached any of the english translators.

    But yeah, Japanese audience is his first and main concern, and the English is just for flavor.


    Like I said with the Berserk reference... literally everything including official Japanese art books and merchandise romanized it as "Band of the Hawk", and then later Muira pulled out a Star Wars joke and everyone realized he'd always meant "Falcon"... which is apparently the same word in Japanese and it took literal decades before anyone realized the issue. And in Japanese it doesn't matter because its still the same word, but in ENglish its a significant difference. It's a thing.
    Last edited by Robby; July 24th, 2020 at 01:42 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

  10. #50
    Discovered Stowaway Ivotas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    福岡

    Default Re: One Piece Special Box Sets, on sale 4th September in Japan

    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    I can go with "Oda intended that all along" because probably he did. BUT the anime with the latest movie started pronouncing it, not differently perse, but more deliberately. With more emphasis on dividing the parts. And obviously it was never officially romanized until that point.

    So if Laugh Tale was always Oda's intent, he didn't see the point or feel the need to emphasize and clarify that until recently, or didn't even realize it might be unclear, is all I'm saying.
    I see. Well on that I definitely agree. It might also be that back when he created the name he simply didn't know better which is something I can totally believe after all I've experienced here. No matter what the reason I have no problems believing that this was Odas intended meaning of the name all along which is not to mean that I take everything he throws at us the same way.

    On a different matter since you mentioned different anime pronounciations. Frankys VA has for years now changed his pronounciation of "SUPER" to sound more like what I believe is an American English sounding "ER" while previously it was pretty much pronounced exactly as you spell it in Katakana which would be "SUPA". Of course this change has nothing to do with a more hidden meaning and I can only guess that the VA wanted it to sound more English since it's not an originally Japenese term. But on the other hand I always liked the sound of "SUUUUPAAAAA" and it's actually pretty comon to say it in Japan so yeah, I actually have no idea where I'm going with this actually.
    Last edited by Ivotas; July 23rd, 2020 at 10:56 PM.

  11. #51

    Default Re: One Piece Special Box Sets, on sale 4th September in Japan

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeorn View Post
    Also, if you have the Translatosaurus fruit, are you a member of Kaido's crew?
    Ha! That's pretty cute.

    Good imagination there Z man

  12. #52

    Default Re: One Piece Special Box Sets, on sale 4th September in Japan

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivotas View Post
    I see. Well on that I definitely agree. It might also be that back when he created the name he simply didn't know better which is something I can totally believe after all I've experienced here. No matter what the reason I have no problems believing that this was Odas intended meaning of the name all along which is not to mean that I take everything he throws at us the same way.

    On a different matter since you mentioned different anime pronounciations. Frankys VA has for years now changed his pronounciation of "SUPER" to sound more like what I believe is an American English sounding "ER" while previously it was pretty much pronounced exactly as you spell it in Katakana which would be "SUPA". Of course this change has nothing to do with a more hidden meaning and I can only guess that the VA wanted it to sound more English since it's not an originally Japenese term. But on the other hand I always liked the sound of "SUUUUPAAAAA" and it's actually pretty comon to say it in Japan so yeah, I actually have no idea where I'm going with this actually.
    But shouldn't the "tale" of Laugh Tale be written as テイル rather than the actual テル if it's meant to mean that?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts