+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: One Piece Special Box Sets, on sale 4th September in Japan

Default Re: One Piece Special Box Sets, on sale 4th September in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    One big change that is worth noting is that the original Viz release censored Greed's crucifixion, but the Fullmetal Edition restores it to its original form

Also, Vongola, the Fullmetal editions do still have English sound effects, but I think they've been completely redone from the original release, presumably bringing them to a more modern standard.
    FWIW, my copy of the Volume 1-27 Box Set has that panel uncut (that volume is identified as the fifth printing, from 2011). The sound effects have been substantially re-drawn between the two.
    Some pics:
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by LostTimeLord View Post
    FWIW, my copy of the Volume 1-27 Box Set has that panel uncut (that volume is identified as the fifth printing, from 2011). The sound effects have been substantially re-drawn between the two.
    Some pics:
    2011, wow. They fixed that a while ago then. I remember it coming up a lot back in the day as an example of weird and unnecessary censorship in English manga releases. Good on em.

Incidentally, I have a copy of the Japanese Kanzenban to compare, and I think it makes the choice to redraw the sound effects pretty obvious. The new ones do a much better job of matching the shape and placement of the original effects than the old ones.

Obviously a reissue of One Piece would need the same treatment. SFX redrawing has come a looooooong way since those early volumes. Unfortunately for those of us waiting on it, it adds a whole other order of magnitude to the work required to make it, what with One Piece being one of the most SFX-heavy series on the market.

HQ pictures!!

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Sometimes I forget Lasso was on the Baroque Works cover

Yeah... those images make it very clear that the "three deluxe books" is just the back print of the box itself, and they say "Vol.1-12" "Vol.13-23" and "Vol.24-32."

The books inside are just going to be the same old tankobon volumes.

They all have Viz's blurb from volume 1 on them, even mentioning "the fruit of the Gum-Gum tree".

Quote Originally Posted by LostTimeLord View Post
    They all have Viz's blurb from volume 1 on them, even mentioning "the fruit of the Gum-Gum tree".
    I knew that looked familiar...was wondering why a new Japanese box set would have an English paragraph using imaginary words that Viz made up.

Seeing more of the actual box design, I don't love them as much as I did before. The boxes are a little cheap-looking. I do absolutely still love the spines of the volumes (save for the Skypiea ones needing to choose a better colour to contrast the text and art - seriously, can anyone make out what panel it is on the second volume there?), so I think I'll make my final call after seeing the covers of the actual books. But it's good to know not to expect anything more than compiled tanks at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Seeing more of the actual box design, I don't love them as much as I did before. The boxes are a little cheap-looking. I do absolutely still love the spines of the volumes (save for the Skypiea ones needing to choose a better colour to contrast the text and art - seriously, can anyone make out what panel it is on the second volume there?), so I think I'll make my final call after seeing the covers of the actual books. But it's good to know not to expect anything more than compiled tanks at least.
    You mean this?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeorn View Post
    That's the one! I could make out the rest easy enough, but was made up just a bit too much of thin lines to stand out from the background.

The water ink backgrounds work really well thematically and pairs well with Oda's art, it's almost nostalgic.

Well, they just looks like some power point background from a teen student, sto I definitely pass.
    Prediction.
    Quote Originally Posted by rayleigh92 View Post
    a team of allosaurus, spinosaurus, pterodactyl, branchiosaurus, triceratops and ankylosaurus, keeping the T-Rex one for King and megalodon for Queen.
    what if Rocks wanted to become the king of world... and he did i? Imu revealed to be Rocks could be a twist

Well, they just looks like some power point background from a teen student, sto I definitely pass.
    You know nothing about A E S T H E T I C S

Quote Originally Posted by dropper View Post
    You know nothing about A E S T H E T I C S
    Well man, that's a matter of tastes, so chill down. You're artist?
    Prediction.
    a team of allosaurus, spinosaurus, pterodactyl, branchiosaurus, triceratops and ankylosaurus, keeping the T-Rex one for King and megalodon for Queen.
    what if Rocks wanted to become the king of world... and he did i? Imu revealed to be Rocks could be a twist

It seems the box will include normal One Piece Tankobon, only the box is deluxe

Wait those where the backs of the boxes? Why design them as the spines of three big, fancy-looking tomes if that's not what's actually in the box?

Disappointing, from my perspective as a collector of things, but hey if it gets more people into the series and up date easily like the English box sets seem to have I'll still count it as a win.

yea, I'm not too psyched but if they sell them separately I'll totally get them to separate my volumes more cleanly by arc!

Honestly, these seem really strange to me now. "Woah, what are these thick One Piece volumes?" "Oh, that is just a picture on the box that tries really hard to make it look like they're real books but serve no purpose. They're actually just normal volumes."

isn't that what Stephen said from the start ? Why the surprise ?

Ha! They changed Arabasta to Alabasta from the promo shots to the final product, apparently.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information