+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Named characters that died after Luffy started his journey.

Default Named characters that died after Luffy started his journey.

Out of curiosity, I thought to make a list of all the named characters that have died ever since Luffy started his Pirate King journey. Is this all of them?:

Chapter 75 - Pudding Pudding

Chapter 116 - Brontosaurus

Chapter 129 - Island Eater

Chapter 159 - Mr. 11

Chapter 196 - Arrow, Barrel, Brahm, Hyota

Chapter 222 - Roshio

Chapter 241 - Zabo

Chapter 574 - Portgas D. Ace

Chapter 576 - Edward Newgate

Chapter 656 - Dragon Number Thirteen

Chapter 676 - Smiley

Chapter 694 - Monet, Vergo

Between Chapters 700 and 925 - Absalom

Chapter 860 - Jigra

Chapter 877 - Pedro

Chapter 942 - Shimotsuki Yasuie

Default Re: Named characters that died after Luffy started his journey.

So, no Oden hu? How about Going Merry?
    Remember, remember, the 5th of November

I feel like you're being a bit liberal with your definition of "named". Not to mention some of those like Monet are still debatable.
    Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー)TSUKAME SUCCESS !

What, no Ryuunosuke? The climbing dragon that could?
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by FelRes View Post
    I feel like you're being a bit liberal with your definition of "named". Not to mention some of those like Monet are still debatable.
    "Named" is a binary. They either have a name, or they don't. The ability to list them at all makes them named characters.

It would be a stretch to call most of them well developed, or even well established entities, but they sure do have names.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    "Named" is a binary. They either have a name, or they don't. The ability to list them at all makes them named characters.

It would be a stretch to call most of them well developed, or even well established entities, but they sure do have names.
    Yep, individual entities like Brontosaurus are listed as characters with a name for example: https://onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/Cat...sed_Characters

We should add Bellamy's crew, which are all named characters

Quote Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post
    Yep, individual entities like Brontosaurus are listed as characters with a name for example: https://onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/Cat...sed_Characters
    To be fair, I think the wiki only has a standalone Brontosaurus page because it got a whole Vivre Card character slot. But in the same way that the cocox was the only creature from Gaimon's island listed, despite a bunch more of them having actual names, I think it was put in the databook to represent dinosaurs as a species.

Quote Originally Posted by crlsdc View Post
    We should add Bellamy's crew, which are all named characters
    Given Oda's history, if I were managing this kind of list I'd be hesitant to add too many characters that haven't been specifically and explicitly confirmed dead. Bellamy only said he "lost [his] people", which sounds pretty dead but still leaves it open to other interpretations. Hell, Bellamy himself was presumed dead for about a decade, and the fakeout was pretty convincing at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Given Oda's history, if I were managing this kind of list I'd be hesitant to add too many characters that haven't been specifically and explicitly confirmed dead. Bellamy only said he "lost [his] people", which sounds pretty dead but still leaves it open to other interpretations. Hell, Bellamy himself was presumed dead for about a decade, and the fakeout was pretty convincing at the time.
    I’m also not sure what happened to characters like Little Oars Jr., the Yeti Cool Brothers, Ginrummy, Sheepshead, Kingbaum, Charlotte Opera, Bobbin, and Pekoms.

Vergo and Monet are in one heck of a limbo, being trapped in an exploding building and the latter seemingly having her heart stabbed. But they have Haki and Logia powers to help them, the knife was laying pretty far away from her heart last we saw it, and it's not like the bombs were strapped to their bodies or anything, so I'd put them in the "mostly dead" camp Bellamy lived in until recently: dead until needed.

Same for the Yeti Cool Bros. who were left in pieces to be caked by Caesar's gas, but was so slow-acting they could have been saved and arrested like the rest of the pirates.

Pekoms is most likely alive, at most blind. The sunglasses will hide that well enough, probably even accentuate the cool scar he'll have.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

There are also Impel Down prisoners Kairo Kureyo, Dobby Ibadonbo, and Doha Ittanka II, also noted to me as having unknown statuses. They were either dead by the time the Impel Down prison mishap was over or are alive, and perhaps elsewhere.
    Last edited by electricmastro; May 4th, 2021 at 01:15 PM.

A list like this almost needs a few tiers of dead-ness. At the very least a "missing and presumed" disclaimer that leaves it open to surprise survivals.

After Pell it's hard for me to put Pedro in the "definitely dead" category.

Is Merry dead? Seems pretty dead to me.

You can argue that their spirit is inherited by Sunny, but IMO that opens a whole other debate.

Also, just to stretch the definition a bit more, I would say that Yubashiri was also a named "Character".
    Last edited by kmohyudin; May 5th, 2021 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Did I find the line? I think I found the line.
    Will give life altering advice for a cup of frothy cappuccino

It is a hard list to make, because:
    1) Death and injury in One Piece are not realistic, to put it simply. Everyone could survive everything if the narrative needs it to (inser Pell and Pagaya examples here).
    but, at the same time
    2) We are talking about a lot of secondary characters. I had to look some of them up, like Jigra ("oh, the guy Katakuri killed to showcase his future sight!"). So, there is no reason for the story to revisit these characters and give a definite closing to them. If, on one hand, we'll never see them alive and well we'll also never see their graves, because they are not important to the story anymore. So it is difficult to say with surety that they are dead, at least those secondary characters.
    If Oda wanted, he could show them alive! But they are not that important.

So, I would make a list like this, considering the possibilities of their deaths:

Are definetely dead
    Whitebeard
    Ace
    Dragon 13 (they ate him)
    Island Eater
    Absalom (less sure about this one, but if it follows the rules we know about the univers, he should be. Let's see if oda bends them)

Are probably dead, just because they were not shown having survived after the story
    Arrow, Brahm, Hyota etc (if even Pell and Chaka were shown to have survived at the end of Alabasta, it probably means that the warriors didn't survive)
    Zabo (Guy who tried to escape Upper Yard. If the workers that built the arc for Enel and Pagaya all survived, he could have survived too if the story wanted to, but was never shown so I guess it means he's dead or not important enough?)
    Pudding Pudding (he could have survived, but then would have appeared in the war against Whitebeard, right? So probably dead)

Are probably dead, but could also be alive. They are just not important enough to the story
    Roshio
    Mr. 11
    Jigra

Characters that were alive in a weird way before and are not going to show up again
    Smiley
    Every zombie in Thriller Bark

Characters I'm personally really not sure (and it's up for debate)
    Pedro
    Monet
    Vergo
    Yasui (c'mon, will Toko be fatherless at the end of Wano? Wasn't Kanjuro keeping him alive in secret to torture him later or something? After Wano is over we can know for sure)

When in doubt, he she or it is alive

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    After Pell it's hard for me to put Pedro in the "definitely dead" category.
    Rather a shame Arrow and the other Alabasta guards didn’t have their deaths emphasized on more, and that the ending of the arc only emphasized on Pell having lived. Even if we knew them less than Pell and were reckless, I think them desperately trying to save the country and keep people like Vivi safe is still notable, especially in light of what Luffy said in the same arc that people die.

Spoiler:

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

I don't see the doubt about Vergo's and Monet's deaths. Especially Monet's

Oda went out of his way for a poetic end to their lives.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Chams View Post
    Yasui (c'mon, will Toko be fatherless at the end of Wano? Wasn't Kanjuro keeping him alive in secret to torture him later or something? After Wano is over we can know for sure)
    Toko already has Hiyori as a mother figure, so it's not that big of a loss.

Potentially the earliest named character to have died, Lines from Chapter 44:
    Spoiler:

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information