View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
275. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

125 45.45%
  • Shinobu

1 0.36%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc.)

1 0.36%
  • Momo

8 2.91%
  • Tama

7 2.55%
  • Carrot

58 21.09%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

7 2.55%
  • Caribou

4 1.45%
  • Other

22 8.00%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

42 15.27%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 71 of 204 FirstFirst ... 21 61 69 70 71 72 73 81 121 171 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,420 of 4061

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Quote Originally Posted by Kishido View Post
    Ok if Yamato doesn't drop her Oden stuff I hope she won't join.

It annoys the hell out of me
    Don't worry she'll become Luffy, once she witnesses how great he really is.

"There will be an answer, let it be."

This chapter gave me again the impression that Yamato does not take the Oden thing seriously. The way he hesitated on Luffy's command, then assured to himself that Momonosuke was "his" son, it felt to me like he was using his Oden thing to get courage to act, rather than it being an inner belief.

There's something off about Yamato, I've been telling it since the beginning. His Oden fixation is not what it seems to be.
    No, I'm not back. I never left. It's just that it has been a long time since I had something to say.

Was this the first time that Luffy saw Sanji in his Raid Suit? Surprised that he had no special reaction for it (yes it is a serious moment but that has never stopped Luffy from getting distracted with random stuff)

I get that "Oden" means freedom for Yamato but she also clearly thinks that she is Oden herself. Even Luffy is getting annoyed by her. If she wants to join the crew she needs to move past this.

Kinda unexpected that after last chapter the Minks didn't really get a big moment just for themselves which shows once again that Oda has to focus on too many things at once and can't "waste" a chapter on just showing the Sulong designs. Speaking of Sulong designs they all looked kinda boring to me? When Carrot transformed there was a lot of focus on how beautiful and mature she became but these minks just get wilder hair and look more savage. Maybe a difference between male and female minks? Were there any known female minks this chapter that transformed?

This was the big Mink moment that was set up for a long time and yet we didn't really see anything. Carrots reveal of Sulong left a much bigger impression on the fandom (in the discussions about the chapter I haven't seen anybody really talk about the Minks). I guess now it depends on how Oda is going to display Inu and Nekos Sulong forms.

Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    I don't intend to act like I know what Oda is thinking, but I honestly think this Sulong extravaganza might be the final chance for Carrot.

First we have the problem of Carrot's backstory and own plot. So far she got a flashback of less than a page that seemed to cover everything there was to be shown and didn't left any hook for later. The fact she never left Zou means she has almost zero chances of meeting an acquaintance in the following arcs to prompt a flashback or anything that can expand on what we know about her and allow personal side-plots.
    Second we have the Luffy problem. So far he seems to not have been impressed in the slightest about her and they lack any meaningful moment/scene.

The collective Sulong could address both of those problems. It involves pretty much everyone Carrot knows fighting for their lives and about to meet onslaught, so it is the perfect (and possibly last) opportunity to put her in a scene that can relate to her on a personal level and possibly even trigger a future flashback. Luffy also voiced his will to leave the dome (where every other character is) and go there, plus Carrot has the perfect means to get him there since the access is a hole in a ceiling like 50 meters tall (so perfect for her jumping ability).
    So it provides an excuse to isolate Carrot and Luffy from the rest of the cast, an excuse for Carrot to showcase her abilities to him (since Luffy missed pretty much every single of her moments), and all of that while placing both of them in a dramatic situation that can relate to her on a personal level.

If Oda really wants to develop Carrot into one of the main characters, this scene has the potential to cover for all her shortcomings at once. But at the same time, if he doesn't take this perfect opportunity to develop her, I think the message is more than clear. It is really now or never as I see it.
    I love your idea about the Carrot and Luffy interaction and it is a good way to showcase Carrots strengths and get her more interactions with Luffy. However I disagree with the point about her backstory. The events on Zou and WCI are her tragic backstory. Just because those events have only been a few weeks ago doesn't change the fact that they are in the past now. Events that heavily impacted her life and changed her views on the world. This makes her very unique among the crew, just like Jinbeis join progress was very unique.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGarc View Post
    I get that "Oden" means freedom for Yamato but she also clearly thinks that she is Oden herself. Even Luffy is getting annoyed by her. If she wants to join the crew she needs to move past this.
    It's the hesitation that is the tell. Just like he hesitated when Luffy offered to free him from his cuffs. Yamato is clearly nervous, unsure, and that's the interesting part, not the "Momo is my son" dialogue. Yamato quite clearly does not believe in what he's saying. It feels like some kind of mantra she says in order to get courage.

If that's the case, then anything Yamato says can be questioned. Including asking to go on the ship. Deep down it may not be what he truly believes in.
    No, I'm not back. I never left. It's just that it has been a long time since I had something to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    This chapter gave me again the impression that Yamato does not take the Oden thing seriously. The way he hesitated on Luffy's command, then assured to himself that Momonosuke was "his" son, it felt to me like he was using his Oden thing to get courage to act, rather than it being an inner belief.

There's something off about Yamato, I've been telling it since the beginning. His Oden fixation is not what it seems to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    It's the hesitation that is the tell. Just like he hesitated when Luffy offered to free him from his cuffs. Yamato is clearly nervous, unsure, and that's the interesting part, not the "Momo is my son" dialogue. Yamato quite clearly does not believe in what he's saying. It feels like some kind of mantra she says in order to get courage.

If that's the case, then anything Yamato says can be questioned. Including asking to go on the ship. Deep down it may not be what he truly believes in.
    I don't know that this is as big of a mystery as you seem to think it is. Yamato spent ~20 years thinking he was the only person left to carry on Oden's will, thinking everyone affiliated with Oden was dead and gone, then in the span of maybe 10 minutes has found out that not only are Oden's vassals very much alive, but so is Oden's son. Yamato doesn't have a son, but Oden does. Thus, he's having to reconcile the "reality" of what "becoming Kozuki Oden" means with what he spent 20 years thinking it meant.

Now, I'm not going to say that I think Yamato's "I am Oden" mindset is normal by any means, because it most certainly isn't, but at the end of the day, the existence of Momo and the Akazaya was precisely what I was expecting to shake it Yamato's character and put it to the test. I think getting some real talk of "You're not my father and you can never replace him" directly from Momonosuke might be exactly what Yamato needs to come into his own. But at the end of the day, I don't know that such a shift in mindset would change Yamato's stated goals (including going out to sea), but rather put them in a different perspective - rather than "this is what Oden would do", something more like "this is what I will do to honor Oden's will".

Black tea is best enjoyed with one's fellow monsters.

Probably the one annoying thing about that identity disorder, is that is not letting us see what the 'real' Yamato is like, so far we only know that she behaves like Nami and pretends to be a person is not the rest of the time, and that is.. not very inspiring in terms of nakama material, it lacks so much if not all of her individuality as a character, and SHs not only widely vary in concepts and designs but also in personalities, so this is not leaving me a good taste but I'm hopefull we're going to explore that and see what caused it, being Kaido, the main suspect here.

who knows, maybe when Luffy finally considers her a nakama and calls her Yamato, she realizes that's indeed the truth, she is only Yamato and no one else.

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    Probably the one annoying thing about that identity disorder, is that is not letting us see what the 'real' Yamato is like, so far we only know that she behaves like Nami *snip*
    Based upon what, exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by otakufan View Post
    Based upon what, exactly?
    not only nami's behavior but also her mad-gag face.

I think what's describes Nami Behavior best is the insatiable lust for gold.

https://i.ibb.co/K6Jb3Qq/yama-yama.jpg
    Setting aside the fact that I don't agree with the "Yamato has Nami-face" argument, looking like someone is not the same as behaving like them.

https://i.ibb.co/K6Jb3Qq/yama-yama.jpg
    You didn't explain what kind of Nami-like behaviour Yamato has. Making a mad face isn't one of them, especially one that has been done by dozens of characters.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKingJC View Post
    You didn't explain what kind of Nami-like behaviour Yamato has. Making a mad face isn't one of them, especially one that has been done by dozens of characters.
    Setting aside the fact that I don't agree with the "Yamato has Nami-face" argument, looking like someone is not the same as behaving like them.
    She's yelling at Luffy in the exact same manners Nami would? thus behaving like Nami.

The mad-nami face is just for extra points.

She's yelling at Luffy in the exact same manners Nami would? thus behaving like Nami.

The mad-nami face is just for extra points.
    Ah, but of course, yelling at Luffy is absolutely something that only Nami does... Certainly no one else has ever done such a thing...

Ah, but of course, yelling at Luffy is absolutely something that only Nami does... Certainly no one else has ever done such a thing...
    eey, I also said that's her only non-Oden personification so far, and doesn't seem too unique of a personality for SH material.

Discovered Stowaway Rank: Failed Mutineer Lord Monkey D.'s Avatar

Yeah its a bit disingenuous

I agree.
    I liked Yamato at first, but it is getting tiresome all this Oden stuff. I hope there is some reason behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadoomer View Post
    If Carrot gets a bounty, I could see it being real (though either small, like 5 or 20 million, if it's based on her normal form, or disproportionately high if it's based on her Sulong form and/or she beats Perospero) for the sake of comedy. (Even Chopper's little sister figure gets a higher bounty than him)

Pedro got a legitimate bounty, so it's not like the government thinks that all Minks or animal people are pets.
    Depending on what she is seen doing, yeah. I think Franky is the only 1 to receive a bounty in the arc they join. Everybody else already had a bounty or received one later on.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

First we have the problem of Carrot's backstory and own plot. So far she got a flashback of less than a page that seemed to cover everything there was to be shown and didn't left any hook for later. The fact she never left Zou means she has almost zero chances of meeting an acquaintance in the following arcs to prompt a flashback or anything that can expand on what we know about her and allow personal side-plots.
    Who was Usopp's acquaintance in Little Garden? This has been talked about before and I know the answer. He related to 2 characters that were worth admiring based on his own disposition. If anything, she lacks a clear dream. Franky was with Robin, Sanji and Usopp more than Luffy before joining.

Is it required that someone you knew before to be out in the world to make a connection with substance? Most of the story is made up of characters who didn't know of each other connecting.

Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    Who was Usopp's acquaintance in Little Garden? This has been talked about before and I know the answer. He related to 2 characters that were worth admiring based on his own disposition. If anything, she lacks a clear dream. Franky was with Robin, Sanji and Usopp more than Luffy before joining.

Is it required that someone you knew before to be out in the world to make a connection with substance? Most of the story is made up of characters who didn't know of each other connecting.
    A character can form new bonds at any time, Nami make new friends at pretty much every new place she goes. But if Oda pass every opportunity to invest in Carrot while the characters surrounding her already have that connection, believing he would do so when they have nothing to do with her is beyond wishful thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaOfHope View Post
    I've had this panel shot for a long time, but at the very least the Big Mom Pirates are aware of Carrot and her association to the Straw Hat crew. Whether that was foreshadowing by Oda on his part or he's just lumping her with the crew because they don't know her exact affiliations is up for debate, but it gives me some hope that Carrot will eventually get a bounty.

I'm looking forward to how that's going to end up being resolved on her end because a certain Genie man ain't too happy with her and she ain't too pleased with a certain candy man. Conflict already there, lets see how that's gonna be resolved in the future. But for now, Carrot's actions in Onigashima should signify where she moves in the story from here.
    I posted that in the predecessor thread as a joke, but yeah that was interesting. If she gets a bounty, I don't think she can be a Momo retainer. Also, the fact that Oda allocated Shinobu to Momo duty after settling her into the crew's cell, was expected. Then, Luffy tells Yamato to go there as well and he's hesitant, but understands that's his role. Yamato is inching closer to retainer, while Shinobu has always been one.

Carrot hasn't really shown interest in Momo outside of what she told Kin. She could've stayed with the other Minks, but went to Totland or even been part of the Udon escape crew with Momo. Everyone is getting paired up w/ Momo for Tama and Shinobu and now Yamato. Why not Carrot?

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

A character can form new bonds at any time, Nami make new friends at pretty much every new place she goes. But if Oda pass every opportunity to invest in Carrot while the characters surrounding her already have that connection, believing he would do so when they have nothing to do with her is beyond wishful thinking.
    What are those bonds about? Are Nami's goals reinforced in every situation that you are speaking of? Usopp's friendship w/ Dorry and Bragy did that. If Carrot admires someone, related or unrelated, in a future arc, it isn't a wish. She has been in 3 arcs. Pedro was last arc and this arc isn't over. What has been passed up? A lot of the reasoning here doesn't take into consideration that the 3rd arc isn't over and her mentor just died last arc.

The idea of Carrot jumping into the rooftop with Luffy is pretty good tho, with the moon up there, everything is set pretty good for him to notice her Sulong and all.

But I feel like Kaido is gon' take down the skull any minute now.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information