View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
241. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

100 41.49%
  • Shinobu

1 0.41%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc.)

1 0.41%
  • Momo

8 3.32%
  • Tama

7 2.90%
  • Carrot

53 21.99%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

7 2.90%
  • Caribou

3 1.24%
  • Other

22 9.13%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

39 16.18%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 67 of 133 FirstFirst ... 17 57 65 66 67 68 69 77 117 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 2652

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Jinbe is still the Lifeguard but its one of his secondary roles. Fireguard is another since someone needs to prevent fires like Luffy's cooking

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    Robby also said Jinbe's role would be lifeguard
    I said his role didn't HAVE to be Helmsman just because he steered the ship during impel Down. I never said it explicitly wasn't a possibility, just that lifeguard was a better fit.

Of various other historical ship roles, Lifeguard IS one that exists and that Jinbe would have excelled at and showcased during the war. Along with Boatswain. He wasn't particulary locked into anything.

So, Helsman as the main job with lifeguard on the side, rather than the other way around. Lifeguard isn't a position Oda actually cares about turns out, and feels can be filled by anyone that doesn't have a DF, as it turns out. Whatever is funniest in that moment.

It was folks latching onto a panel and assuming 100% truth with it. Same with things like Buggy becoming a Warlord, or Lola being one of Big Mom's daughters. I agreed that was almost certainly what had happened and very very likely the case, but shouldn't be locked in and treated as fact until it was actual fact. Safe assumption, not fact.

Then I think during the FI flashback Jinbe showed off steering again in more than one case and that kind of settled it.

and that Pedro wasn't dead.
    He's not dead officially till all the Big Mom business is done. But yes, he currently seems more dead than most even if most of the people that "died" on WCI fromm Jinbe to Pound has been shown to be alive. Sanji's family, King Baum and Pekoms are all that's left, and you KNOW Sanji's family ain't dead and no one has even pretended that Pekoms is.

Also

They're ALL different shades of green. That's printer fluctuation and that happens based on how early or late into a specific run a page is printed after the ink is changed out, how long the pages were wet, and how many other colors are on the page in between the solid areas. Pure colors like Red, yellow and cyan are less susceptible to this, while greens, purples, oranges will vary a lot since they have to be hit by two different color plates.

Notably, the fronts of those cards are a lot more consistent in general and doesn't entirely match their back.

Like this is a book from literally the same print run, but ran low on blue at some point so the end of the run had the colors turning more red and purple..

You can dismiss my story theory stuff, that's fine, that's just discussion and theory mongering. That's up for debate and personal interpretation.

But I work in the industry, and have for 21 years. I know my stuff when it comes to printing and color. I have literally written books on it.
    Last edited by Robby; August 18th, 2020 at 11:37 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

This has already been checked by Arthur. It is not a misprint. Carrot is the only one who has a different shade of green than the other minks.

https://twitter.com/newworldartur/st...42379852156928

Quote Originally Posted by Exsolea View Post
    This has already been checked by Arthur. It is not a misprint. Carrot is the only one who has a different shade of green than the other minks.

He's like the one guy who started the MYTH.

Robby's elaboration of printing came after that.

And holyy molly!! Did this guy reallt convinced lot of people that Carrot's card has a different color by only comparing it with ONE other card, instead of the WHOLE set like Robby did??
    Wow, what a fraud!
    Last edited by Monquito; August 18th, 2020 at 07:35 PM.

Artur is the one that STARTED the theory in the first place.

He also did not go out and buy multiple packs and compare different copies of the same card, and he certainly didn't buy packs from different runs months or a year apart and then compare them.

The picture I posted just above shows they are ALL different shades of green. Carrots has more blue in it so its darker, but others have more yellow and less blue so they go a lot more lemon than lime. None of them quite match.

Again, there are a WIDE variety of reasons for this. Printer fluctuation happens. On books I have personally colored and have the original files for I've seen print three different ways in the *same* run depending on which box it came out of. And if its from two different print runs, or two different printers, it will come out completely different. Fluctuations in printing happen no matter how close or uniform the actual files are. I have had two page spreads that are the *same* file where one half is noticeably different than the other.

When you've sorted through a literal warehouse of comic books or helped organize hundreds of boxes for shipping you see it happen all the time. It's the printing process, 100% consistency is impossible over a large enough run.

(And the differences become REALLY extreme if you use different paper types, newsprint, matte, glossy, thickness of stock, etc, but that's not a factor with the cards since they're all on the same paper. But as a result trade collections will almost always look better than their monthly counterpart because they're printed on better quality stuff.)
    Last edited by Robby; August 18th, 2020 at 07:52 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    He's like the one guy who started the MYTH.

Robby's elaboration of printing came after that.

And holyy molly!! Did this guy reallt convinced lot of people that Carrot's card has a different color by only comparing it with ONE other card, instead of the WHOLE set like Robby did??
    Wow, what a fraud!
    I don't care about Robby's comparison with the others. I'm talking about minks all having the same shade of green except for Carrot.

Correct. Robby didn't convince me a bit because of the fact that carrot's vivre card shade of green is different from the other minks. You sound like Robby's words are the words of god. That's why I stick to my opinion that I find it strange to give a mink a different shade of green than the other minks.

I don't care about Robby's comparison with the others. I'm talking about minks all having the same shade of green except for Carrot.
    You can see in the picture that is not the case, they all are different shades.

Or from what I can percieve personally, I can see like 6 different shades and lot of them sharing the exact same shade of Carrot.

Oh, Nekomamushi's green is darker than Inurashi's. I guess he's a traitor or a secret moonman or something.

It has nothing at all to do with all the bright colors on one card and dark colors on the other, or natural printing fluctuations.
    Last edited by Robby; August 18th, 2020 at 11:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    I said his role didn't HAVE to be Helmsman just because he steered the ship during impel Down. I never said it explicitly wasn't a possibility.

Of various other historical ship roles, Lifeguard IS one that exists and that Jinbe would have excelled at. Along with Boatswain. He wasn't particulary locked into anything.
    Right, but many people around here were already saying that he'd be the helmsman, which made sense given that we knew it was an official role that the crew lacked. That combined with the fact that we was the helmsman on the navy ship heading to Marineford was more than enough for me and others to know that he would in fact be their helmsman. What I find interesting, though, is that you were ok with someone being a "lifeguard" or "boatswain" (two positions never referenced in the series), but a "lookout" just wouldn't make any sense.

He's not dead officially till all the Big Mom business is done. But yes, he currently seems more dead than most even if most of the people that "died" on WCI fromm Jinbe to Pound has been shown to be alive. Sanji's family, King Baum and Pekoms are all that's left, and you KNOW Sanji's family ain't dead and no one has even pretended that Pekoms is.
    He's dead. He's been mourned by multiple characters across multiple arcs. There's no point in bringing up any other characters unless they too were mourned like Pedro was. That's where the bar is.

Also
    https://i.redd.it/heew31wdcea31.jpg

They're ALL different shades of green. That's printer fluctuation and that happens based on how early or late into a specific run a page is printed after the ink is changed out, how long the pages were wet, and how many other colors are on the page in between the solid areas. Pure colors like Red, yellow and cyan are less susceptible to this, while greens, purples, oranges will vary a lot since they have to be hit by two different color plates.

Notably, the fronts of those cards are a lot more consistent in general and doesn't entirely match their back.

Like this is a book from literally the same print run, but ran low on blue at some point so the end of the run had the colors turning more red and purple..
    https://d3nvbf5pqk2vjh.cloudfront.ne...c9d4dcf916.jpg

You can dismiss my story theory stuff, that's fine, that's just discussion and theory mongering. That's up for debate and personal interpretation.

But I work in the industry, and have for 21 years. I know my stuff when it comes to printing and color. I have literally written books on it.
    Ok. I won't completely dismiss your opinion on the card aspect, but from what I can see, her card looks stark compared to the rest. It's not about the different shades of green, it's the fact that her card stands out among all of the others. None of the other cards regardless of their shade stand out as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post

https://d3nvbf5pqk2vjh.cloudfront.ne...c9d4dcf916.jpg
    I need to know why no one is bothering with this chick.
    Seriously, do tell!

Anyway, I didn't expect useful info in this thread, I'm totally taken aback! But isn't it frustrating to work as a colorist, knowing that the final result can and will turn out completely different? Or are these super extreme examples mostly a thing of the past?

I'm actually with Robby on this one: it's way too subtle to be seen as a deliberate color decision. Again, I don't put too much stock in the cards to reveal stuff yet to come.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

I was just rereading the latest chapters of Alabasta, and uh. That one scene of Chaka mourning to the corpseless tomb of Pell, reminded me like sooo much of a certain someone.

Oda hardly ever changes habits uh..

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    Anyway, I didn't expect useful info in this thread, I'm totally taken aback! But isn't it frustrating to work as a colorist, knowing that the final result can and will turn out completely different? Or are these super extreme examples mostly a thing of the past?
    I adjust and calibrate my monitor to the print copies, and check things on multiple screens and I've done it so regularly my monitor is calibrated pretty closely to print. Its actually set a bit darker than a normal monitor as a result. . I know things aren't ever going to print exactly like they're colored, its part of the process, but after doing it for as long as I have the pallette I have, and I don't do anything that won't work in cmyk, usually prints pretty decently.

Generally printing will unify the colors a bit, but as long as the actual contrasts are fine it usually looks okay and pretty close.

It's mostly only annoying when I do something like a subtle blush effect on someone's cheeks or nose. Usually the print will make it subtle and bring it together, but sometimes it makes it BLARING red and it looks awful.

Like right here. These two pictures are from the *same page*. Same exact colors used throughout, but because stuff was different *around* them, they printed differently. The first image got the proper amount of red and printed as intended, while the second because it had a little more skin highlight and the background around it was a little different, got more yellow so the hair is a slightly different shade, the skin is paler, and the cheeks and nose are BRIGHT red which looks terrible and makes her look drunk.

And thats on the *same page*. Colored both faces at the same time with the same colors in the same scene, but because the background was a little different, they shifted. Note that the blue in the eyes is consistent, and the strong red in the lips is the same. Its just the amount of inbetween red that shifted in the skintone and hair.

So you can imagine how much it varies on *different* pages, or in more extreme lighting conditions, or with different printings entirely..

Sometimes it prints like mud though, especially if I'm doing anything with lots of purples, so I try to avoid that. AWhich is a shame because purples look cool but they're a very hard to work with. And red pretty much only prints as red, any highlights at all turn it pink, unless you're highlighting with yellow, but that very quickly makes it not red unless you're careful.

The consolation is even digital copies won't be exactly right because everyone's monitor is different, but I have to work towards prints.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    I was just rereading the latest chapters of Alabasta, and uh. That one scene of Chaka mourning to the corpseless tomb of Pell, reminded me like sooo much of a certain someone.

Oda hardly ever changes habits uh..
    Pell is such a standard go-to example, he doesn't count. He was only dead for a couple chapters.

Now, Igaram, who was murdered off camera in an explosion, with no body and only a villain to take credit for it, who Vivi cried over and had flashbacks about and was dead for Little Garden, Drum, and Alabasta... its not like he showed back up alive and well at a crucial dramatic moment with zero explanation on how he survived in order to help stop the war or anything.

Or maybe that was Toh-Toh that Vivi was sad about...

But it definitely wasn't Pell.
    Last edited by Robby; August 18th, 2020 at 09:19 PM.

I think Carrot is going to join, but that's really immaterial to this particular debate.

I agree with Robby here about the Vivre Cards. I don't think there was any intentional decision here to color Carrot's card differently.
    Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Jimbei, Carrot, Vivi, Smoker

"ONE PIECE, IT EXISTS" - The Great Pirate Edward Newgate

There were those mini flashbacks in Pell's case too.

I feel like Pedro's case is a combination of Igaram and Pell, since its got details from one and the other.

Could come back during the events of the current arc like Igaram, or after its all over like Pell. Is anyone's guess.

The Vivre Card meme is back. Next, the traitor meme makes it'r triumphant return as well

I've been searching for the lifeguard thing, but only seen it for Brook lol

Found another saying Camie can't join unless she's a lifeguard.

Add Franky to the list from the vol. 3 thread

I've found the quote of all quotes
    Its besides the point. Jinbe isn't joining to be a helmsman. That's just a thing he could bring in on the side. He's more suited as lifeguard though.
    How is it people overlook the job of lifeguard so readily? Especially with four crew members that can't swim?
    A challenger appeared

Helmsman" also doesn't seem too impossible, but "Ambassador" and "Lifeguard" just sound dumb to me.
    I've given up on the search for lifeguard takes. There's this "create your own crew" thread that I found and want to bump, but i'll just talk about it in the New World thread
    Last edited by Cockycent; August 18th, 2020 at 10:40 PM.

Discovered Stowaway

I think the only really relevant positions pertinent to the debate are the ones that are analogues of what we've seen on Blackbeard's crew. Since Helmsman is one of them and the Straw Hats didn't, and Jimbei is trained to be one, it's kind of a no-brainer unless a heretofore unknown one comes along which...why? Just why? Not that anyone asked that, but it feels like it's just beneath the surface waiting to be implied. Jimbei's not just a normal Helmsman anyway, he can turn a ship into a windsurfer, and even from a position not behind the wheel, he can push from behind or tow from the front if the ship gets into a rough patch that it can't pull itself out of with just the wind in the sails or if they're out of cola for a burst. His being a Fishman multiplies his capability as a Helmsman because of the natural talents that come along with it. Dealing with storms and other hazards is something the crew hasn't had to deal with very much as of yet and it's likely to change once they get close to Raftel, so having Jimbei will be much more important.

I'll concede that, while the utility of a lookout will also become more important, it feels odd to have saved that for this late stage of the game, and even more odd for it to be speculated to go to someone who has no long-range capabilities to deal with anything they might scope at a distance; that's Usopp's specialty and given his nature as a sniper it just seems redundant to have a second set of eyes. If there is to be one more member of the crew, I'd kind of like to know of a position more substantial that would make sense for them to have, and since none is yet presented I'm thinking it'll be some kind of more story-relevant wild card which feels like Yamato, given her family connections, might be the best option for. That's absent any other better data, and considering the backseat Carrot's taken for a lot more of the arcs she's been hanging about, I'm not sure what the hell Oda is trying to do with her, but it's not painting a flattering picture nor justifying high confidence in her chances.
    Last edited by BattleFranky69; August 19th, 2020 at 07:22 AM.

Carrot's Vivre Card color feels especially irrelevant now that we know Kanjuro is the traitor.
    The main theory behind that was Carrot's green was similar to the green used by Kaido's crew, wasn't it? So people thought it was foreshadowing her as the traitor?
    FC(3DS) - 2724-4238-5489 (LZTan)
    FC(Switch) - SW-3434-4042-7728 (Jin)
    Bond en Avant practices drawing in general

I draw a silly comic about school and life.

Jinbei would give the hoff a run for his money

I found that colour shade theory to be really silly back when it was first revealed for the exact reasons Robby stated above.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information