View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
368. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

189 51.36%
  • Shinobu

1 0.27%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc)

1 0.27%
  • Momo

9 2.45%
  • Tama

9 2.45%
  • Carrot

68 18.48%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

7 1.90%
  • Caribou

6 1.63%
  • Other

28 7.61%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

50 13.59%
Closed Thread
Page 506 of 506 FirstFirst ... 6 406 456 496 504 505 506
Results 10,101 to 10,112 of 10112

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    On one hand, I'm not surprised. Some ppl just have terrible predictions or bad instincts for the way Oda tells the story.

On the other hand, that sample size seems like very early reactions to Brook. Like the very chapter he was introduced and asked to join. Just in those 4 posts, they don't Brook's a musician, think the story will keep him stuck in the Florian triangle (when the story did the opposite), guess he may have a bone-bone devil fruit, and compare him to the likes of Gan Fall and Kokoro.

Now I see similarities to that second part with Yamato even though Yamato has been around for over 50 chapters now but then I just go back to what I initially said. A lot of these ppl just don't have a great deal for this.
    That's the thing, even months after Brook's intro, in December 2007, posts like this popped up, as mentioned prior: http://forums.arlongpark.net/showthr...=1#post4154018

On one hand, I'm not surprised. Some ppl just have terrible predictions or bad instincts for the way Oda tells the story.
    The difference with Brook was that 1) Luffy had (years earlier) stated that he wanted a musician in his crew, so there was already foreshadowing and 2) Luffy asked him to join. Neither of those applies to either of the two most popular candidates. There are reasons outside of what a character says that should also be taken into consideration (such as Luffy asking random people to join). You can't always say "So and so said it, so it will happen."

Some ppl just have terrible predictions or bad instincts for the way Oda tells the story.
    Oda does so many things with so many different characters that you can almost always pull something from somewhere to make your desired result fit. That said, though, there are definitely certain thing Oda definitely always does and doesn't do.

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Quote Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post
    That's the thing, even months after Brook's intro, in December 2007, posts like this popped up, as mentioned prior: http://forums.arlongpark.net/showthr...=1#post4154018
    Yeah, I saw your other post after that with ppl still denying it. That's when they creep in to the poor instincts category.

The Franky plays the guitar rebuttal just seems insane to me. Partly cuz I barely remember it especially more than it happening once and also the notion that Oda was teasing Luffy wanting a musician and was never going to fulfill that role. There's also the hindsight I can't push out my since Franky has rarely played the guitar since while Brook is a superstar music artist.

I also wanted to add that a majority of the fandom believe the next crewmate is the last crew mate to join (some still think Jimbe is actually the last one) so they're not going to agree with any character regardless if its obvious or not of them joining cuz they prefer some other already existing character or just the next new character.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    2) Luffy asked him to join.
    Speaking of which, there were also people saying that Jinbe wouldn't join in regards to Chapter 648, even though Luffy told him about wanting him to join in that very same chapter.

Last edited by electricmastro; October 17th, 2021 at 08:35 PM.

Speaking of which, there were also people saying that Jinbe wouldn't join in regards to Chapter 648, even though Luffy told him about wanting him to join.

https://i.ibb.co/DQrL6yY/Screen-Shot...1-26-14-PM.png
    Oh man, I love this... and "protector of Shirahoshi" is one I didn't expect, but somehow doesn't surprise me given the recent discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    The difference with Brook was that 1) Luffy had (years earlier) stated that he wanted a musician in his crew, so there was already foreshadowing and 2) Luffy asked him to join. Neither of those applies to either of the two most popular candidates. There are reasons outside of what a character says that should also be taken into consideration (such as Luffy asking random people to join). You can't always say "So and so said it, so it will happen."
    Even in that situation, as clearly shown there were still ppl doubting Brook would join and outright against it.

Which is why I said some ppl just aren't good at it.

The situation now is different but those ppl still exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosta View Post
    Oda does so many things with so many different characters that you can almost always pull something from somewhere to make your desired result fit. That said, though, there are definitely certain thing Oda definitely always does and doesn't do.
    Yeah, that's why when I read ppl say Oda might do this or that and use another anime for example or that this is a thing in storytelling I just have to ask why he didn't do that dozens of other times he's set up those scenarios just for the character to do/get exactly what they desired/dreamed of.

The only characters I've seen Oda do it to are children in flashbacks.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Roosta View Post
    Oh man, I love this... and "protector of Shirahoshi" is one I didn't expect, but somehow doesn't surprise me given the recent discussions.
    Yep, and that was after it was made apparent Shirahoshi was going through her character development of standing up for herself more after years of threats while trapped in a tower.

Speaking of which, there were also people saying that Jinbe wouldn't join in regards to Chapter 648, even though Luffy told him about wanting him to join in that very same chapter.

https://i.ibb.co/DQrL6yY/Screen-Shot...1-26-14-PM.png
    I'll say this much, ignoring the protect character alternative showing up again (especially when you can argue it fits Shirahoshi more than Momo), if there's one thing I care less for than Jimbe as a character its the way Oda had him join.

If Oda applied the same process to Zoro, had him show up to be freed by Luffy, accompany him to the next arc against Buggy, leave for one arc cuz he had pirate hunting to do, show back up again (Baratie), leave again cuz he had obligations to his pirate Hunter's guild boss, just to show up at Loguetown or Whiskey peak saying he finally quit and is here to join well you couldn't any blame anybody for not being sold on the character.
    Last.fm

Yep, and that was after it was made apparent Shirahoshi was going through her character development of standing up for herself more after years of threats while trapped in a tower.
    I've used FI being left without protection as an argument for Wano not needing Yamato specifically as a protector... but honestly, putting it in words like that just makes me feel like it was just irresponsible to leave one of the weapons so close to Marijoa and New Marineford with so little protection, lol.

I just feel like Yamato staying on the island and not going after his dream of sailing the seas and going on adventures is a huge slap to the face of the very core of what this franchise is about

It would be the equivalent of having the first avengers movie where the characters don’t become a team at the end and save the day

Or having a Star Trek movie that’s about exploring the unknown parts of space but instead they spend every season on an already discovered world and do no adventuring

You know what I mean, it’s spitting in the face of every ideal this series has created in it’s two decades of existence

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

Closed Thread

Thread Information