View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
368. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

189 51.36%
  • Shinobu

1 0.27%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc)

1 0.27%
  • Momo

9 2.45%
  • Tama

9 2.45%
  • Carrot

68 18.48%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

7 1.90%
  • Caribou

6 1.63%
  • Other

28 7.61%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

50 13.59%
Closed Thread
Page 503 of 506 FirstFirst ... 3 403 453 493 501 502 503 504 505 ... LastLast
Results 10,041 to 10,060 of 10112

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Quote Originally Posted by Syphin View Post
    Oden may have made a note about the World Government in his journal and possibly alluded to them being enemies of Wano.
    Speaking of which, depending on how much Oden wrote down, I imagine that in any case Yamato would want to accomplish anything Oden tried to, but couldn't, possibly tying into any post-Wano border opening dream. Oden himself not only mentioned Wano waiting for Joy Boy's return, but also the rest of the world, also possibly tying into what Yamato knows about regarding the Dawn of the World, which Momo was said to be at least one relevant figure to.

Quote Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post
    Speaking of which, depending on how much Oden wrote down, I imagine that in any case Yamato would want to accomplish anything Oden tried to, but couldn't, possibly tying into any post-Wano border opening dream. Oden himself not only mentioned Wano waiting for Joy Boy's return, but also the rest of the world, also possibly tying into what Yamato knows about regarding the Dawn of the World, which Momo was said to be at least one relevant figure to.
    I wondered if this played into Yamato's decision to try and disable the explosives, actually. If the island explodes, it may be enough to kill Momo. Disabling the explosives would at least keep Momo safe, regardless of the fate of Onigashima.

The curious thing about Oden's adventure is that I don't believe he went to Elbaf with the Roger Pirates. At least it wasn't explicitly shown during the earlier flashbacks. Elbaf is one of the guaranteed stops for the Straw Hat Pirates based on the set-up laid by Oda over the course of the series and that is an area Oden wasn't shown to visit. I wonder why that wasn't the case.

It will be interesting to see how the story tied to Elbaf links to the history of the Ancient Civilisation (was Joy Boy a Giant?) and to the story of the other Giant races (the Giant race Jaguar D. Saul belonged to, the Ancient Giants whom are possibly the ancestors of Oni, Rock and Scotch's Giant race and whatever Giant race Sanjuan Wolf is). Considering Hajrudin's dream is to be King of ALL Giants (not just Elbaf) and that Oda has made him a Captain of the Straw Hat Pirate Grand Fleet, there should be some story to explore there. It may be largely off-screened but I suspect varying Giant races will come into play at some point. Such a union may culminate during the Elbaf Island Arc story. Giants also having such long lives means that the history available in Elbaf and from other Giants would be more etched into their culture opposed to normal human races where life is more transitory and as such more dispersed in their history. Considering this and the fact that "D" is also associated with Giants, it makes sense why their story is being saved for the latter parts of One Piece - because history will be more applicable through them.

I also wonder if Yamato will come to learn more about the Oni from Elbaf as it does not appear Yamato will get much more time to talk to Kaido during this arc. The Oni race weren't just simply introduced by Oda without further exploration. And a possible place the Oni race will get a deeper dive into could be Elbaf, if not through Kaido. It would also be fascinating to find out if there is an ancient connection between Wano and the Giants. Elbaf when whatever issue plagues them is dealt with can join Wano in their opposition to the World Government going forward. There are one of the few nations that aren't aligned with the World Government and a reason for why may relate back to Joy Boy.

Even if Yamato doesn't join the Straw Hat Pirate officially after Wano, he will travel with them based on what Oda has set up and there can potentially be room for him to be further highlighted and explored in future arcs.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthAsthma View Post
    Yeah basically although it's weird to me to frame it as hinting.
    Yeah hinting was simply the word that came to mind 1st, what was thinking is that Oda is really doing everything short of outright having Luffy say it on panel, which he probably will at some point too.

Yamato just feels very nailed on to be the next crewmate.

It is interesting that, despite seeming like there many people that see Yamato as a done deal, the vote still has it as a 50/50 split. As a point of comparison, someone linked me to http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=15963, which was a vote for Brook a few chapters before he joined, and it was 86/14.

I felt that Jinbe's formal toast as a Strawhat being interrupted was a worrying death flag... until I realized that it could just as well foreshadow gaining a crewmate instead of losing one. Luffy said they would wait for the feast... and on the next page, Kaido says that his son needs to be at the feast (which is Yamato's first mention in the manga). I've felt like everything since then (you should give me a ride, I would die for Momonosuke, I'm going to sea with Luffy, guardian deity, etc.) has just been Oda trying to toy with readers. If I hadn't seen any vote I would have thought he wasn't doing a very good job, but seeing the vote as 50/50... I guess he is?

I also wonder if Yamato will come to learn more about the Oni from Elbaf as it does not appear Yamato will get much more time to talk to Kaido during this arc.
    My guess on this front is that being an Oni played an important role in Kaido's life, but his story will need to be resolved by the end of Wano. Having Yamato around will be a way for the Strawhats to have an interest in the history of Oni with Kaido out of the picture.
    Last edited by Roosta; October 16th, 2021 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roosta View Post
    It is interesting that, despite seeming like there many people that see Yamato as a done deal, the vote still has it as a 50/50 split.
    The poll was made a year ago when Yamato was first introduced, and you can't change your vote later. It'd probably have a fairly different result if it was made fresh now.

Also its a 50/50 split with 9 other options on there. If it was just a yes/no it'd also be different.
    Last edited by Robby; October 16th, 2021 at 01:13 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

The curious thing about Oden's adventure is that I don't believe he went to Elbaf with the Roger Pirates. At least it wasn't explicitly shown during the earlier flashbacks. Elbaf is one of the guaranteed stops for the Straw Hat Pirates based on the set-up laid by Oda over the course of the series and that is an area Oden wasn't shown to visit. I wonder why that wasn't the case.

It will be interesting to see how the story tied to Elbaf links to the history of the Ancient Civilisation (was Joy Boy a Giant?) and to the story of the other Giant races (the Giant race Jaguar D. Saul belonged to, the Ancient Giants whom are possibly the ancestors of Oni, Rock and Scotch's Giant race and whatever Giant race Sanjuan Wolf is). Considering Hajrudin's dream is to be King of ALL Giants (not just Elbaf) and that Oda has made him a Captain of the Straw Hat Pirate Grand Fleet, there should be some story to explore there. It may be largely off-screened but I suspect varying Giant races will come into play at some point. Such a union may culminate during the Elbaf Island Arc story. Giants also having such long lives means that the history available in Elbaf and from other Giants would be more etched into their culture opposed to normal human races where life is more transitory and as such more dispersed in their history. Considering this and the fact that "D" is also associated with Giants, it makes sense why their story is being saved for the latter parts of One Piece - because history will be more applicable through them.

I also wonder if Yamato will come to learn more about the Oni from Elbaf as it does not appear Yamato will get much more time to talk to Kaido during this arc. The Oni race weren't just simply introduced by Oda without further exploration. And a possible place the Oni race will get a deeper dive into could be Elbaf, if not through Kaido. It would also be fascinating to find out if there is an ancient connection between Wano and the Giants. Elbaf when whatever issue plagues them is dealt with can join Wano in their opposition to the World Government going forward. There are one of the few nations that aren't aligned with the World Government and a reason for why may relate back to Joy Boy.

Even if Yamato doesn't join the Straw Hat Pirate officially after Wano, he will travel with them based on what Oda has set up and there can potentially be room for him to be further highlighted and explored in future arcs.
    It might be tied into Nika, since “sun god” was mentioned in Big Mom’s flashback at Elbaf.

I'd definitely change my vote if the poll was reset.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    I'd definitely change my vote if the poll was reset.
    Agreed, I’m not 100% sold on Yamato but I’d def be willing to take a bet on him joining

I can make a new poll, but it will have to completely replace the old one unless we make a whole new thread again. But the results can be moved into their own post and the new one put in if there are no objections.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

OK, time for a new thread with a new poll about whether we should put a new poll in this thread.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

Can we have a mail-in ballot option I don't trust this site's polls since Whitebeard beat Makino.
    Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー)TSUKAME SUCCESS !

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Quote Originally Posted by Roosta View Post
    It is interesting that, despite seeming like there many people that see Yamato as a done deal, the vote still has it as a 50/50 split. As a point of comparison, someone linked me to http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=15963, which was a vote for Brook a few chapters before he joined, and it was 86/14.
    Brook's competition were a bunch of zombies.

Thriller Bark was more self contained than Skypeia and just didn't involve a lot of new characters let alone supporting ones.

Since Brook, strawhat new crewmates haven't operated in the old fairly simple format.
    Last edited by Zik; October 17th, 2021 at 06:42 PM.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

The poll results for this one should remain, so we know which side to mock.

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    Brook's competition were a bunch of zombies.

Thriller Bark was more self contained than Skypeia and just didn't involve a lot of new characters let alone supporting ones.

Since Brook, strawhat new crewmates haven't operated in the old fairly simply format.
    And yet there were people doubting that Brook would join back then, whether thinking that "it's just one of Luffy's impulses" or whatever else:

Quote Originally Posted by Shift View Post
    I can make a new poll, but it will have to completely replace the old one unless we make a whole new thread again. But the results can be moved into their own post and the new one put in if there are no objections.
    At that point we might as well just make a Vol 9. thread.

This one just passed 500 pages, it's probably time for a refresh anyway.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    At that point we might as well just make a Vol 9. thread.

This one just passed 500 pages, it's probably time for a refresh anyway.
    Yeah, doesn't it restart once it passes over 10,000 posts?

Yeah, doesn't it restart once it passes over 10,000 posts?
    That's tradition, not a rule.

Some threads have been allowed to go much longer if it seemed appropriate.

And yet there were people doubting that Brook would join back then, whether thinking that "it's just one of Luffy's impulses" or whatever else:

https://i.ibb.co/PjW1Hff/Screen-Shot...4-08-47-AM.png
    To be fair all of those posts are from Brooks' first appearance, when Luffy invited him at the end of chapter 442. So it really could go either way at that point (I mean, not much time later Luffy would ask a tree the same).

But IIRC, people quickly grew attached to him the very next chapter, when there were many fun interactions with the whole crew, something Oda didn't give Yamato yet.
    Last edited by goty; October 17th, 2021 at 03:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by goty View Post
    To be fair all of those posts are from Brooks' first appearance, when Luffy invited him at the end of chapter 442. So it really could go either way at that point (I mean, not much time later Luffy would ask a tree the same).
    And wouldn't surprise me if that was Oda's way of keeping people guessing if Brook would join or not, with the idea of red herrings and Luffy impulsing his way into asking trees to join, playing off of that first appearance. I don't blame him though, since it wouldn't be fun at all if it was 100% obvious to everyone if someone would join.

Closed Thread

Thread Information