View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
368. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

189 51.36%
  • Shinobu

1 0.27%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc)

1 0.27%
  • Momo

9 2.45%
  • Tama

9 2.45%
  • Carrot

68 18.48%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

7 1.90%
  • Caribou

6 1.63%
  • Other

28 7.61%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

50 13.59%
Closed Thread
Page 502 of 506 FirstFirst ... 2 402 452 492 500 501 502 503 504 ... LastLast
Results 10,021 to 10,040 of 10112

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Nami and Yamato looking similar with their faces and poses.

Also, I think people should stop looking for clues outside of the manga. Yamato is down there with Law and Kidd like...
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    Well yeah, Oda presumably wants Yamato to be seen as a cutie after all. lol

He's only half his actual size though. Franky, Jinbe and Brook are to scale.
    Last edited by Robby; October 14th, 2021 at 10:13 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post
    I canít see the picture what does it show

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    I can’t see the picture what does it show
    An anime ad with Kaido's crew against the Straw Hats, Law, Kid and Yamato.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

Yep, seemed coincidental in light of this. Maybe too coincidental. Probably nothing, but the coincidence is interesting nonetheless. Hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post

Also, I think people should stop looking for clues outside of the manga. Yamato is down there with Law and Kidd like...
    Yes 100 times. Meta hints are bad and arguing they're retrospectively right is honestly just confirmation bias. People will probably disagree with me here but I don't even respect any of the "any one of these for themselves doesn't mean much but all of the meta hints together are hard to ignore" line of thinking. In the end all that stuff I assume relates much more to marketing goals and potential sales than anything else.
    Imo people should just stick to the story.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthAsthma View Post
    Well, in that case what do you feel the story is telling us so far then?

Well, in that case what do you feel the story is telling us so far then?
    Darth has been very clear that he thinks the story has been very heavily hinting at Yamato being the next crewmate.

Yeah basically although it's weird to me to frame it as hinting.
    Like would people frame that the story is hinting at Luffy beating Kaido? Luffy declared he is going to do it. He is the protagonist. Seems like a foregone conclusion that it's going to happen.
    Same way Yamato declared to sail with Luffy after all of this. They've had massive presence in an arc with a massive amount of characters. They're clearly not just your Hyogorou level side character. *shrug*
    Look I wish there was more vagueness would make clowning around a lot more interesting. But no argument so far has moved past why Oda would waste so much panel space to lie to us several times when he also has given us a timeframe in which he wants to finish it up that seems way to short to basically all of us.
    That said I ain't married to this stance, if new info appears like Oda giving us a new timeframe that is like + 5 years on top his last one or the actual story starts 180 on the statements I'll be the first to acknowledge it.

Look I wish there was more vagueness would make clowning around a lot more interesting. But no argument so far has moved past why Oda would waste so much panel space to lie to us several times when he also has given us a timeframe in which he wants to finish it up that seems way to short to basically all of us.
    You could go the other way, though: is Oda just being obvious because it's happening so late? If Yamato wasn't saying anything about wanting to go on an adventure, then the >50 chapters between meeting him and the end of Onigashima would be spent thinking of him as Momonosuke's muscle (as Orochi had Kaido) instead of an adventurer. His departure from Wano would then feel even more "too late" in the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Roosta View Post
    You could go the other way, though: is Oda just being obvious because it's happening so late? If Yamato wasn't saying anything about wanting to go on an adventure, then the >50 chapters between meeting him and the end of Onigashima would be spent thinking of him as Momonosuke's muscle (as Orochi had Kaido) instead of an adventurer. His departure from Wano would then feel even more "too late" in the story.
    I don't understand the premise of it being too late at all. Beyond that I don't see the point in intentionally being contrarian to things pointing a specific direction. That approach in my experience just doesn't really yield fruitful results vs acknowledging when things point in a certain direction while also staying open to new information.

Lastly the whole "if he wouldn't have said anything" is already a weird premise. Yes if Oda didn't make the character state their motivations we wouldn't know them. If Oda made them have a different goal we'd regard them differently. It's like what's the actual point here? I've said before Yamato didn't have to be the way he has turned out to be there is a very easy version of the character that feels much more like an arc specific side character. You'd just have to cut some panels away but really the bottom line of that statement is still just if things were different they'd be different. It's kind of a circular argument.
    In the end Oda made Yamato state their motivation several times. He gave him a connection to Ace that didn't need to exist. Frankly the whole character didn't need to exist and several aspects of Yamato probably could have rolled into Tama and other people. But fact is the character does exist and as such when you'd consider them in the context of the story I think it's much more sound considering all the context that Oda has given us instead of imagining other scenarios that aren't the case to make a point.
    Last edited by DarthAsthma; October 15th, 2021 at 06:42 AM.

I don't understand the premise of it being too late at all. Beyond that I don't see the point in intentionally being contrarian to things pointing a specific direction. That approach in my experience just doesn't really yield fruitful results vs acknowledging when things point in a certain direction while also staying open to new information.
    I misunderstood, I thought you meant that the short timeframe was related to Yamato's late appearance.

I misunderstood, I thought you meant that the short timeframe was related to Yamato's late appearance.
    Oh I see. Allow me to clarify to anyone else coming in later then in case it's confusing, I was referring to Oda's estimated timeframe of when One Piece is going to finish is largely regarded as too short by the fanbase based on the remaining plot threads and Oda's general tendencies. I'd say many would at least say he is off by 2 years which might still be too short.

I wonder if this is a habit of Yamato's - worrying about the worst case scenario.

Yamato didn't leave Onigashima because he feared in the worst case scenario i.e. his explosive cuffs being genuine
    Yamato left Momonosuke to head for the Onigashima basement because he feared the worst case scenario of the bombs going off

When Yamato begins to worry, he has that look.

Spoiler:

Once is a moment. Twice is a suspicion. But thrice seems like a characteristic.

Will they be a third time for Yamato? Given where Yamato is going, I believe they may.

With the CP-0 about to make their move, if Yamato were to see them, I would be curious to see how he would react to their appearance. Based on Oden's adventure, Yamato should be aware of the natural enemies of Pirates - Marines - and the organisation that controls them - the World Government. Whitebeard did comment to Oden that Wano was still free because the World Government do not control them. Roger even told Oden that the World Government banned the deciphering of Poneglyphs long ago. Oden may have made a note about the World Government in his journal and possibly alluded to them being enemies of Wano. If this is the case, I wouldn't be surprised if Yamato's mind slips once again to the worst case scenario when he notices the CP-0 - "ah, if they are here, it must mean the World Government are targeting Wano". After dealing with the explosives, this worry could dictate how Yamato proceeds i.e. going back to Momo and asking him to move Onigashima to the entrance of Wano where the Marine ships would be stationed or conversing with the Straw Hat Pirates.

Spoiler:

Whatever the case, I still expect with the Marines making an appearance in Wano that the full force of the Straw Hat Pirates will be on display for the World Government to see. The Grand Fleet may have already caught wind of the Marines movement to Wano and dispatched their forces there to defend the Straw Hat Pirates. Such a development would make sense in the context of the current saga where the Straw Hat Pirates are building themselves up as a force equivalent to that of the Yonko. Defeating Kaido and forcing Big Mom to withdraw on top of having the Straw Hat Pirates Grand Fleet make their appearance within Wano would be an expression of how significant Luffy and the Straw Hat Pirates have become within the New World.

Quote Originally Posted by Syphin View Post
    I wonder if this is a habit of Yamato's - worrying about the worst case scenario.
    This is an interesting observation! I would suggest that there is a key difference between the first instance and the latter two: before Luffy removed the cuffs, Yamato was afraid to act because he was afraid of the worst case. After being freed by Luffy and seeing that the worst case was the reality, Yamato is no longer paralyzed by fear, and is now taking the initiative.

Not sure about it being "too late", as others have said, since then it could be reasonably said that Jinbe feels like he joined up too late, even though he met Luffy at Impel Down.

Not sure about it being "too late", as others have said, since then it could be reasonably said that Jinbe feels like he joined up too late, even though he met Luffy at Impel Down.
    And Oda intentionally gave the last two members connections with Ace - by extension giving their connection with Luffy a different dynamic than the rest of the crew.

For me, I think we had this discussion a couple of thread pages ago, Yamato's "late recruitment" is a non-issue.
    - He established in the flashback that Oden was Roger's very last recruit (the final year of their journey); Yamato is being paralleled as Luffy's Oden - the inexperienced but enthusiastic adventurer.

I want AND expect Yamato to join the crew, but I will always believe that he was introduced/recruited late - that's fine. His relationship with Luffy was built up differently (each crew member is) and I appreciate it.

For comparing Yamato and Jinbe being lumped together as crewmembers who joined up too late - the readers have known Jinbe since Impel Down as you said, and was formally asked by Luffy 10 years ago - we always knew he was going to join. He was also there in one of One Piece's milestone arcs - Marineford and the ensuing chapters leading up to 3D2Y (underrated moment of the series when Oda had him be the one to talk sense into Luffy about counting what he still had left, not what he had lost).

I didn't expect that we will be introduced to a character like Yamato as I've always thought Jinbe will be the last one. I've been pleasantly surprised on how he grew on me ever since the introduction. Looking forward to how the crew members will react knowing that they picked up two powerhouses by the time they depart Wano.

Quote Originally Posted by Gol D. Silvers View Post
    And Oda intentionally gave the last two members connections with Ace - by extension giving their connection with Luffy a different dynamic than the rest of the crew.
    Yeah, Yamato does seem to have some parallels with other crewmates: Luffy releasing her physical bonds like with Zoro, being threatened with explosive cuffs because of an abusive dad like with Sanji, people afraid of her as a monster like with Chopper, growing up with victimized people around her like with Robin, etc.

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Pretty much was the situation in Wano for a few chapters there.

Also reminds me Kid is so lame as a rival. Poor man's Bakugo.

Queen should be WAY MORE prominent in that pic.

Yes 100 times. Meta hints are bad and arguing they're retrospectively right is honestly just confirmation bias. People will probably disagree with me here but I don't even respect any of the "any one of these for themselves doesn't mean much but all of the meta hints together are hard to ignore" line of thinking. In the end all that stuff I assume relates much more to marketing goals and potential sales than anything else.
    Are we finally being with rational about "meta-hints"?

Its hilarious and pathetic to me when they're brought up for characters they wish to join but downplayed when its for characters who have in story signs pointing to joining and those meta clues.
    Yeah, this hypothetical scenario totally warps the story though when you talk about readers would think then.

Its not as simple as take put when Yamato declared to Kaido he would join Luffy. You're saying remove all the times Yamato expressed anything about wanting to leave or go on adventure exploring the world. That's a good sizeable chunk of Yamato's personality and character.

Just a weird way to go about the too late in the story argument or that being the other way of what Oda is actually doing in the story.
    Last edited by Zik; October 15th, 2021 at 07:39 PM.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Closed Thread

Thread Information