View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
368. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

189 51.36%
  • Shinobu

1 0.27%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc)

1 0.27%
  • Momo

9 2.45%
  • Tama

9 2.45%
  • Carrot

68 18.48%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

7 1.90%
  • Caribou

6 1.63%
  • Other

28 7.61%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

50 13.59%
Closed Thread
Page 501 of 506 FirstFirst ... 401 451 491 499 500 501 502 503 ... LastLast
Results 10,001 to 10,020 of 10112

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

I still wonder if there is any connection between the Okuchi no Makami and the Mink Sulong form because I find there are similarities between the two forms.

How exactly are Fruits bestowed with "Devil" powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rean View Post
    * I think he cares more about having a powerful Zoan DF (he already ate his fruit when Rocks met his downfall), and is probably disappointed that someone as disobedient as Yamato took it.
    * Probably not. I feel that this is Kaido's way of designing his New Onigashima Project to remove all of his headaches and achieve his aims, and the subjugation of Yamato is one of them.
    * This will probably be explored later, but my theory is that DFs were the Ancient Kingdom's way of preserving their culture and life? It's a crummy theory though as it doesn't cover everything tho.
    These are definitely reasonable answers. The idea I can't shake, though, is that the shogun must (for whatever reason) possess the power of a mythical/guardian deity DF. It would explain why Orochi needed his DF, and why Kaido went to such lengths to get another guardian deity DF for his replacement. If the Seiryu is a guardian deity (which I'm basing partially off Kaido himself being a Myo-o), and assuming Momonosuke's copy is good enough, then that opens the door for him being shogun as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Roosta View Post
    True, and I'm not trying to say it's a bad fruit (especially since the quality of the user is much more important than the fruit itself, as we've seen). It's just that it was presented as having the "power" to make Orochi shogun, and the original Japanese even emphasized the word "power" (”力”):
    https://i.imgur.com/ozYEAB5.png
    we haven't seen any pay off for this "power", so I'm just speculating that maybe the Okuchi no Makami has the same "power" since both of these quotes relate to the user becoming shogun.

This is all very reasonable, and I think there's a good chance you're on the right track. My question is: does any of this change if the Okuchi no Makami fruit is locked in a box under Kaido's bed? Kaido seems to want Yamato to be shogun because he ate the fruit, and we know that Kaido did not intend for Yamato to eat the fruit, at least while he was calling himself Oden.
    That may be.
    We're not sure yet when Yamato ate the fruit are we? But Kaidou tried to kill him by locking him in a cave, so I image he really couldn't care less about his son at that point, but then Yamato escaped and took the fruit and now Kaidou has to have him around somehow, trying to break his will.

Kaidou may have wanted to give that fruit to someone else who would serve him, an all-star or tobbiroppo.
    And the idea that he wanted such fruit was for a particular reason is a good one, maybe related to Wano's secret purpose that he mention when fighting with Yams.

I've theorized somewhere in the forum that the Governament's interest, and Shank's, on the Gomu Gomu fruit might be it has a particular utility (and it can make Luffy become partially a giant).
    Oda could use Wano to present that idea that the fruits had actual purpose using this mythical fruit, then set it up when we meet Vegapunk and he explains more of the fruits, and in the final arc ,or Laught Tale, Luffy fulfils said purpose with his fruit. My bet being he becomes giant (or a giant) and interacts with something, opening a huge door to the lost city or turning on one of the ancient weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Rean View Post
    Ever since the Oden execution, Orochi never had any real legitimacy, the only reason he continued to rule is because Kaido was impossible to beat.
    In the eyes of the Wanoese Orochi was the legitimate Shogun, that's what mattered to Kaido and that's what *could* matter in regards to Yamato the Guardian Deity. Yamato, just like Orochi, would be a puppet under Kaido, but he would still play a key part in keeping the country running.

Like, Kaido would have to sell his biologically female son as the new Shogun of Wano. Having that Guardian Deity transformation is a good selling point considering the target audience.

He also mentioned the deity thing to Yamato after he declared his plans to have him be shogun + his alliance with Big Mom (all were announced as part of his New Onigashima Project).
    That's true, but we have to consider that this was a heavy (and pretty forced) exposition. It really felt more like a necessary info-dump concerning Kaido's original plans with Yamato, which he obviously discarded the moment he went after Yams with killing intent.

It's all pretty weird though, I'm just trying to make some sense where there will probably be none.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    That's true, but we have to consider that this was a heavy (and pretty forced) exposition.
    Yeah, Oda is cutting corners in this arc everywhere. There's a lot of "tell" instead of "show". Just like the many off-screen fights.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

Quote Originally Posted by FolhaS View Post
    I've theorized somewhere in the forum that the Governament's interest, and Shank's, on the Gomu Gomu fruit might be it has a particular utility (and it can make Luffy become partially a giant).
    Oda could use Wano to present that idea that the fruits had actual purpose using this mythical fruit, then set it up when we meet Vegapunk and he explains more of the fruits, and in the final arc ,or Laught Tale, Luffy fulfils said purpose with his fruit. My bet being he becomes giant (or a giant) and interacts with something, opening a huge door to the lost city or turning on one of the ancient weapons.
    I like this, I hope you're right!

In the eyes of the Wanoese Orochi was the legitimate Shogun, that's what mattered to Kaido and that's what *could* matter in regards to Yamato the Guardian Deity.
    I could be overthinking here, but I think he Kaido would have to take off the cuffs if he wanted people to see that Yamato is the Okuchi no Makami.

That's true, but we have to consider that this was a heavy (and pretty forced) exposition. It really felt more like a necessary info-dump concerning Kaido's original plans with Yamato, which he obviously discarded the moment he went after Yams with killing intent.
    Yamato felt like Kaido had killing intent, but he still stopped hitting Yamato when he reverted to human form. I think he probably just felt confident that Yamato could survive his full force, as he definitely could have killed Yamato had he kept going I think.

I still think Vegapunk might be in the Straw Hats corner based solely on how ridiculously well thought out Kuma's plan to send each of the Straw Hats to other Islands for the timeskip was

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    Yeah, Oda is cutting corners in this arc everywhere. There's a lot of "tell" instead of "show". Just like the many off-screen fights.
    Eh, i feel like there's more "imply" than "tell" or "show."
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

How so? Orochi hasn't participated in any fights, and he has been beheaded 7(?) times. I suppose you could say he used the power to threaten Hiyori and CP0, but how is that something that requires a Mythical DF?
    I should've shortened what I quoted even further to the part that says the yamata no Orochi was presented with the "power to make you shogun"

Unless it has some yet to be revealed good luck/probability ability I don't even see how going by Orochi's story the DF made him shogun.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Discovered Stowaway astagadragon's Avatar

Regarding Yamato's role in the crew, I always said, "why not another fighter"? It's not like Zoro has any shipmate position beyond a fighter anyway.

Look at other crews, Doflamingo's for example. Diamante, Pica, and Trebol; they're just fighters.
    "The rain has ceased, and we have been graced by another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it." - Elidibus

Quote Originally Posted by astagadragon View Post
    Regarding Yamato's role in the crew, I always said, "why not another fighter"? It's not like Zoro has any shipmate position beyond a fighter anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by astagadragon View Post

Look at other crews, Doflamingo's for example. Diamante, Pica, and Trebol; they're just fighters.
    I think it goes back to Chapter 90 which basically reinforces each Straw Hat's worth on the crew in what they can and can't do. Sanji would say something similar to Usopp later. It can feel redundant having someone who's mainly a fighter when there's already someone there who does just that.

Another idea that probably fits with Yamato’s role is a guardian. Nami isn’t a capable fighter, and while Robin is more than capable in fighting, she is more brain than brawl. Yamato can be the guardian, that when Luffy/Zoro/Sanji are not there (like in women’s bathhouse for example), Yamato is there to protect the others. While Zoro is a fighter, Zoro is more on offensive role. Yamato’s role as guardian is more on the defensive role. Yamato is like the tank of the group.

I’m more convinced with the Explorer position though, like Pedro, Mont Blanc Norland, Fisher Tiger. Also that Yamato as an Explorer fits on how she was locked for 20 years, and when she joins she’s free to explore the seas & islands beyond.
    Last edited by Devil Child 78; October 13th, 2021 at 11:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    I should've shortened what I quoted even further to the part that says the yamata no Orochi was presented with the "power to make you shogun"

Unless it has some yet to be revealed good luck/probability ability I don't even see how going by Orochi's story the DF made him shogun.
    For that, I was just talking about these panels from Chapter 965. Higurashi says she can change her face with the power of the Clone-Clone Fruit, and that she can give him "power" while showing the Yamata no Orochi fruit:

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Child 78 View Post
    I’m more convinced with the Explorer position though, like Pedro, Mont Blanc Norland, Fisher Tiger. Also that Yamato as an Explorer fits on how she was locked for 20 years, and when she joins she’s free to explore the seas & islands beyond.
    This fits with Yamato's personality, and also with Oden's "role" on Whitebeard's crew (although Whitebeard didn't have as obvious a set of designated roles for everyone). In Oden's flashback we saw he was the one who would charge forward alone because of his desire to see new things. I would say that this has sort of been Luffy's role in the past, though he hasn't been able to do it as much post-TS.

I still think the Stonemason role would fit Yamato perfectly.

Oda has already established that Stonemason is a profession, one grounded in Wano history and their craftsmanship. If a Stonemason role was going to be attached to any character as a job role, if would be a character coming out of Wano. Impact of the Stonemason has already been influencing One Piece since Alabasta through the Poneglyphs. It is already etched deep in One Piece lore.

Spoiler:

On top of that, the Kozuki Clan have been Stonemasons since at least 800 hundred+ years ago. Oden was a skilled Stonemason as per his flashback in chapter 960 where it is mentioned he became Chief Stonemason during the ages 10-14. Oden was apparently the last Kozuki holding the knowledge and skills of the Kozuki Stonemason techniques that were unparalleled to other Stonemasons. No other individuals outside of those from the Kozuki clan were seemingly able to carve on the Poneglyph stones based on how all the stones shown so far have kept their original text instead of being tempered with. Oden did end up carving Roger's message on the Golden Belfry that housed the Skypiea Poneglyph. Would Oda allow such a significant piece of Wano history and culture to be eliminated? Maybe or maybe not. If Oda plans to keep this history of Kozuki Stonemason alive, he has left himself a way in which he can achieve this. I don't believe Sukiyaki is Hitetsu, especially after analysing the information and attempting to rationalise how this would make sense, so I don't think Hitetsu will pass the Kozuki Stonemason techniques onto the new Kozuki generation (Momonosuke and Hiyori) but I will come back to talk about Sukiyaki later. A way Oda can achieve this is through Oden, specifically Oden's journal.

When Oden returned to Wano 25 years ago, he realised the state of Wano and how Orochi and Kaido were destroying it. Oden found out during his meeting with Orochi that his father, Sukiyaki, was likely killed. He also knew that one day he would have to fight Kaido and Orochi. This is why Oda made that journal entry talking about how if he failed in stopping Kaido, Wano will have to wait twenty years until powerful pirates leading the next generation arrive in the New World to take on Kaido and strike him down. Oden anticipated what might happen. He was also aware of the value attached to his Kozuki Stonemason skills after going on a journey with Roger to Laugh Tale for a year. Oden realised the significance of Laugh Tale's existence at that point and the meaning in opening Wano. I believe, just as Oden conveyed his important messages about his adventure in his journal (barring some detail), he also likely printed how the Kozuki Stonemason techniques are done in his journal so that his children may in the future have the opportunity to learn them and continue the Kozuki culture. To Oden, he was the last Kozuki with the knowledge of the Kozuki Stonemason techniques. Even if Sukiyaki somehow shows up alive at the end of the Wano arc (imprisoned by Orochi underneath Wano so that Sukiyaki can slowly see Wano destroyed day by day, piece by piece, citizen by citizen), when Oden was still alive before his execution, he believed Sukiyaki was dead. Oden sought to pass on his swords Enma and Ame no Habakiri to his children and because of that I find he also would have desired to pass on his Stonemason skills to Momonosuke and Hiyori. To do that, he used something that already existed to pass on his will/legacy, his journal.

Spoiler:

When Yamato first introduces Oden's journal, he notes that along with Oden's grand adventurous life, very important things are also written in there. What would Oden find important? And what would Yamato as Oden find important? There is a solid possibility that the "important things" hinted at in Oden's journal could very well be the things that Oden wanted to pass on to keep the Kozuki culture and legacy alive - the Kozuki clan Stonemason techniques and his Oden Nitoryu (unless Oda reveals that Oden was satisfied with what the Akazaya Nine knew about his sword style). During the two decades Yamato was alone and imprisoned, he may have used the journal to learn the Kozuki stonemason techniques.

Spoiler:

Everything is already set-up for Yamato to be a Stonemason. And it can all tie back to Yamato's introduction. Oda has left threads all there to use. All Oda needs to do is draw the line and make the connection. Whether he will or won't is the issue and so to is whether a Stonemason is required or not for the narrative. I have theorized how a Stonemason could fit into the overall One Piece story, so I don't believe it is impossible for Oda to convey a Stonemason as being necessary to the Straw Hat Pirates adventure, journey and eventual mission.

This Wano Arc, as much as it is about Luffy's rise to being a "great pirate", Momonosuke's path to becoming Shogun, Yamato's liberation, Zoro's ancestry and Orochi and Kaido's fall, it also about the Kozuki Clans revival. By allowing Yamato to continue the Kozuki clan Stonemason skills, it also allows the Kozuki clan culture to be kept alive. After decades of Orochi and Kaido attempting to erase the Kozuki clan from the world and history, Yamato can represent the light that kept such a legacy alive for those two decades, including the Kozuki Stonemason skills. Both through staying alive, which the Samurai (Daimyo) he met during his childhood sacrificed their lives for, and through keeping Oden's journal safe. Yamato may have learned the Stonemason skills to become more Oden and continue the Kozuki will. But now with Momonosuke alive and Yamato having passed the journal onto him, there would be no need for Yamato play such a role. Rather Yamato can embrace his desire to help Luffy and use the skills he has acquired (Stonemason) to assist the future Pirate King (bronze statue). And if Sukiyaki is revealed to be alive at the end of the arc, he can assist with Momonosuke and Hiyori's teachings (unless Sukiyaki has a massive case of amnesia).

In my headcannon, Stonemason as a role for Yamato works so well. It would tie Yamato to Oden, Wano, the Straw Hat Pirates and to the future of One Piece. Every time Yamato does something related to Stonemasonry, we can be reminded of Oden and how awesome a character he was.

Quote Originally Posted by Syphin View Post
    When Yamato first introduces Oden's journal, he notes that along with Oden's grand adventurous life, very important things are also written in there.
    One minor thing I want to add: in Chapter 1000, Yamato's narration of the contents of the journal says "if I am dead by then...". If this indicates that Oden was preparing for the possibility of dying in his fight with Kaido, then it would make sense for him to prepare the journal for someone to find it. This could include the stonemasonry information you describe, as well as removing any explicit/compromising information about the One Piece/Void Century.

One minor thing I want to add: in Chapter 1000, Yamato's narration of the contents of the journal says "if I am dead by then...". If this indicates that Oden was preparing for the possibility of dying in his fight with Kaido, then it would make sense for him to prepare the journal for someone to find it. This could include the stonemasonry information you describe, as well as removing any explicit/compromising information about the One Piece/Void Century.
    For the bolded part, personally I never think that Oden’s journal ever hold One Piece/Void Century information. Oden was known as a poneglyph writer & reader, so I don’t think Oden would put very important information like that in pieces of paper, which can be destroyed easily. We all know that informations as important as those usually exist in indestructible Poneglyph steles, that’s why Robin is keep being hunted. And if Yamato’s role is as a stonemason, that fits with the connection to Oden. But doesn’t that mean if Yamato’s role is a stonemason, then she needs to know Poneglyph writing?

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Child 78 View Post
    For the bolded part, personally I never think that Oden’s journal ever hold One Piece/Void Century information. Oden was known as a poneglyph writer & reader, so I don’t think Oden would put very important information like that in pieces of paper, which can be destroyed easily. We all know that informations as important as those usually exist in indestructible Poneglyph steles, that’s why Robin is keep being hunted. And if Yamato’s role is as a stonemason, that fits with the connection to Oden. But doesn’t that mean if Yamato’s role is a stonemason, then she needs to know Poneglyph writing?
    There's always a chance that the Poneglyph language is written in the journal. Oden himself noted that the language is passed from father to a single male heir in the Kozuki family, which means writing it down could have been insurance for him dying against Kaido. Yamato passed the journal to Momonosuke in Oden's place... for all we know, this could also factor in to why Yamato felt the need to become male.

Also: I'm sure many ignore the anime, and it could be totally coincidental, but Yamato's first appearance in the anime was several episodes before he met Luffy... and he was outside the Skull Dome smashing rocks.

I've been hoping for the stonemason thing since it first was mentioned here.
    If not for anything esle, it would tie back to the running gag of Luffy cinsidering having a giant statue of himself as an absolute priority. Would be cool.
    Curiosity has its own reason for existing

Huh

Discovered Stowaway astagadragon's Avatar

Oh hey, Yamato's horn colors are different

And they forget Killer smh
    "The rain has ceased, and we have been graced by another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it." - Elidibus

Closed Thread

Thread Information