View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
368. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

189 51.36%
  • Shinobu

1 0.27%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc)

1 0.27%
  • Momo

9 2.45%
  • Tama

9 2.45%
  • Carrot

68 18.48%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

7 1.90%
  • Caribou

6 1.63%
  • Other

28 7.61%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

50 13.59%
Closed Thread
Page 491 of 506 FirstFirst ... 391 441 481 489 490 491 492 493 501 ... LastLast
Results 9,801 to 9,820 of 10112

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

To make you understand how far can go Oda with the teases.

This was in chapter 584

And this was in the color spread of chapter 618
    Last edited by CarrotForNakama; October 9th, 2021 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    What have we seen so far that would make you believe that 1) Yamato sees it as an "identity crisis" and 2) is trying to "get over it"? Just a few chapters ago in the flashback, we saw that Yamato has been identifying as Oden since childhood. As of now, some 50+ chapters after being introduced, there hasn't been a single instance that I can think of where Yamato questioned the Oden identity thing. The closest we got was "My other name is Yamato," but even then it was more of an "I'm Oden and Yamato."
    Yamato doesnt see it as an identity crisis but it most certainly is one, and its very unlikely that something like that would persist in a story where individuality is so important and with a character that is so central and now very beloved, this development is inevitable. In the latest chapters it was even reinforced that its all an internalized issue that she has based on how Kaido raised her as the Oni princess, someone that should never interact with humans and should only subjugate them and do as Kaido tells her, and "becoming Oden" seems to be her way to get around that, and goes in hand with how she said Luffy was "more Oden than her" because he was beloved and free
    Last edited by IIskandar1997; October 9th, 2021 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CarrotForNakama View Post
    To make you understand how far can go Oda with the teases.

This was in chapter 584

And this was in the color spread of chapter 618
    How about Ace's Vivre Card in Alabasta?

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    How about Ace's Vivre Card in Alabasta?
    Yes, this is one example of a great setup. And that's why I think Yamato is more of a late addition rather than a enormous error of setup, Oda has always been excellent with setup.

Of course it happens that he make 'controlled" mistakes but that's for the little stuff, like the magic serum of the mink which has never been setup.. But Yamato nah..
    Last edited by CarrotForNakama; October 9th, 2021 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IIskandar1997 View Post
    Yamato doesnt see it as an identity crisis but it most certainly is one, and its very unlikely that something like that would persist in a story where individuality is so important and with a character that is so central and now very beloved, this development is inevitable. In the latest chapters it was even reinforced that its all an internalized issue that she has based on how Kaido raised her as the Oni princess, someone that should never interact with humans and should only subjugate them and do as Kaido tells her, and "becoming Oden" seems to be her way to get around that, and goes in hand with how she said Luffy was "more Oden than her" because he was beloved and free
    It's not really an identity crisis just because people feel that it's one. Identifying as Oden is something that Yamato has done for 20 years. In our limited time with the character, there haven't been any instances where Yamato has second guessed or doubted anything about why he/she identifies as Oden. There's no internal struggle or dilemma at all. At this point, it's like Sanji and his treatment/idealization of women. It's something ingrained in the character where you can't separate the character from the trait.

It's not really an identity crisis just because people feel that it's one. Identifying as Oden is something that Yamato has done for 20 years. In our limited time with the character, there haven't been any instances where Yamato has second guessed or doubted anything about why he/she identifies as Oden. There's no internal struggle or dilemma at all. At this point, it's like Sanji and his treatment/idealization of women. It's something ingrained in the character where you can't separate the character from the trait.
    What? Its an identity crisis by the very nature of her trying to literally become another person, going as far as calling Momo her son, its not my personal opinion of the character thats literally an identity crisis, every time she mentions it people get weirded out because its supposed to be bizarre, and her doing it since she was a child doesnt make it less of a problem at all, if anything it makes it worse since it was born from the naive, impressionable and traumatized mind of a child, and it was very much brought up as a dilemma through Kaido narrating her whole life of being lonely and being raised by a demon to become a demon as well. Like you mentioned, im her introduction to Momo she said "I introduced myself as Oden but my other name is Yamato" and when she was a child afraid of the samurai she said "I'm Oden BUT I'm also Kaido's son" so these are very much 2 different things, and more than once she said that she has to do X or Y or else "I cant be Oden", theres the actual Yamato and there is this desire(Not even a persona) to become Oden its all a potential escapism from her true nature as the Oni princess, and she keeps creating goals for herself all in order to become what she perceives as being Oden. This definitely has to go away eventually and probably will, given the nature of this series

What have we seen so far that would make you believe that 1) Yamato sees it as an "identity crisis" and 2) is trying to "get over it"? Just a few chapters ago in the flashback, we saw that Yamato has been identifying as Oden since childhood. As of now, some 50+ chapters after being introduced, there hasn't been a single instance that I can think of where Yamato questioned the Oden identity thing. The closest we got was "My other name is Yamato," but even then it was more of an "I'm Oden and Yamato."
    • The crux, for me, is that he said "someone has to inherit Oden's will". Oden's will was to open Wano, so it's reasonable to guess that once Wano is open, Oden can rest and Yamato can move on.
    • Yamato has never said "my name is Oden", he's only said "I am Oden" or "I call(ed) myself Oden". In Japanese, saying "I am Oden" is not a way to give your name, it would be a way to indicate that that is the person you are. It's a reasonable guess that, since someone has to inherit Oden's will, he thinks that someone has to be Oden. By saying "I am Oden", he's claiming that he's that person.
    • Yamato has only ever introduced himself using the name Yamato; indeed, one of Yamato's first lines in the manga was "My name is Yamato, I'm Kaido's son". When Luffy gave him a nickname, he corrected Luffy by saying that it's "Ya-ma-to", not "O-de-n" or something similar.

Yes, this is one example of a great setup. And that's why I think Yamato is more of a late addition rather than a enormous error of setup, Oda has always been excellent with setup.

Of course it happens that he make 'controlled" mistakes but that's for the little stuff, like the magic serum of the mink which has never been setup.. But Yamato nah..
    You didnt even elaborate how that makes you think Yamato is late addition, even tho you admit that's agreat setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    You didnt even elaborate how that makes you think Yamato is late addition, even tho you admit that's agreat setup.
    I think he didn't make the connection that Yamato made the Vivre Card for Ace... he might have meant the Vivre Cards in general...

But to be fair, can't really call that a setup, anyone could have made it...
    Neither are the bunnies a setup, just some random bunnies...

"There will be an answer, let it be."

I like Trafalgar Law’s original pre timeskip hat better than his post timeskip one, I just thought that needed to be said

What? Its an identity crisis by the very nature of her trying to literally become another person, going as far as calling Momo her son, its not my personal opinion of the character thats literally an identity crisis, every time she mentions it people get weirded out because its supposed to be bizarre, and her doing it since she was a child doesnt make it less of a problem at all, if anything it makes it worse since it was born from the naive, impressionable and traumatized mind of a child, and it was very much brought up as a dilemma through Kaido narrating her whole life of being lonely and being raised by a demon to become a demon as well. Like you mentioned, im her introduction to Momo she said "I introduced myself as Oden but my other name is Yamato" and when she was a child afraid of the samurai she said "I'm Oden BUT I'm also Kaido's son" so these are very much 2 different things, and more than once she said that she has to do X or Y or else "I cant be Oden", theres the actual Yamato and there is this desire(Not even a persona) to become Oden its all a potential escapism from her true nature as the Oni princess, and she keeps creating goals for herself all in order to become what she perceives as being Oden. This definitely has to go away eventually and probably will, given the nature of this series
    "An identity crisis is a developmental event that involves a person questioning their sense of self or place in the world." That's the definition. Yamato isn't currently internalizing some struggle or questioning who he/she is. Yamato knows that he/she is the son/daughter or Kaido and was born with the name Yamato, but still chooses to identify as Oden. The character isn't seeking some sort of absolution or reconciliation about how to identify. That's readers assuming that something's wrong with the character. It's reader who are wanting the character to "drop the Oden act."

If Yamato spent the rest of the series being Oden, then that would be perfectly fine. If Yamato chooses to question his/her identify and stop being Oden, then that would be fine as well. We haven't seen anything so far that indicates some pressing need by the character to stop doing what he/she has been doing for 20 years. It mostly seems to be readers projecting what they want to happen for other reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post
    Can we really say Yamato was introduced too late at this point? It has been over a year since she was introduced and Wano is still going.
    Fair enough! Though we've had 119 chapters of Wano in total so far, he's appeared in approximately 40% of them, and that figure will continue to increase.

The story as a whole, since we're in the last handful of years of One Piece and the crew's journey as a whole - yes, he's late to the story/journey.

Just like how Oden was to Roger's crew. He only joined them I think for the final year.

I'm not saying it in a disparaging way though - Oda's more than made up for it and I'm excited for him to be officially part of the crew.

Considering how big the Yonko crews are and even Roger's crew, if Luffy will have less than those totals, he needs to have top-level fighters. Yamato, Jinbe, Sanji, and Zoro all fit the bill.
    Last edited by Gol D. Silvers; October 9th, 2021 at 03:30 PM.

"An identity crisis is a developmental event that involves a person questioning their sense of self or place in the world." That's the definition. Yamato isn't currently internalizing some struggle or questioning who he/she is. Yamato knows that he/she is the son/daughter or Kaido and was born with the name Yamato, but still chooses to identify as Oden. The character isn't seeking some sort of absolution or reconciliation about how to identify. That's readers assuming that something's wrong with the character. It's reader who are wanting the character to "drop the Oden act."

If Yamato spent the rest of the series being Oden, then that would be perfectly fine. If Yamato chooses to question his/her identify and stop being Oden, then that would be fine as well. We haven't seen anything so far that indicates some pressing need by the character to stop doing what he/she has been doing for 20 years. It mostly seems to be readers projecting what they want to happen for other reasons.
    And in your opinion trying to literally become another person isnt questioning your self place??? When she literally says that she had to take that burden because everyone else that could was dead as far as he knew? Even when she constantly goes om tangents like "I have to break free because I'm Oden/I have to defeat Kaido because I'm Oden/It should be ok to protect Momo because he is my son" as if she had to constantly create arbitrary goalposts and roles to play for herself so she can be what Oden is suposed to be, instead it coming naturally to her? not to mention how she goes back and forth with "I an Oden" and "I have to be Oden/I cant be Oden unless.." ? To each their own interpretation I guess, but to me its very clear that she internalized Kaido's view about onis and belives that she can only have such a great life by literally becoming another person, and thats one of the reasons why Oda is setting up Momo to emulate the hour of legends by lifting Onigashima, because thats the moment Oden became the hero of Wano and the moment she fell for him, and with that+his appearance and lineage Momo will become more Oden than she could ever hope to be, and her final development will go from there

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

There really isn't any crisis.

Yamato's just taken admiration and idolization to another level.

This notion that there is a true nature of Yamato as the one princess is something you made up. Also there is no instance of her constantly making goals to.become Oden. Yamato wants to be Oden so he does what he thinks and believes what Oden would do. They aren't notches or benchmarks to becoming Oden.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    There really isn't any crisis.

Yamato's just taken admiration and idolization to another level.

This notion that there is a true nature of Yamato as the one princess is something you made up. Also there is no instance of her constantly making goals to.become Oden. Yamato wants to be Oden so he does what he thinks and believes what Oden would do. They aren't notches or benchmarks to becoming Oden.
    Its idolization taken to another level, yes, but thats not the root or the whole story behind it imo, we have seen many cases of extreme idolization in one piece but nothing like her and Kaido's explanation of her past points towards that. And how am I making stuff up? Isnt she the child of Kaido? the one that was raised in onigashima all alone? thats not the same as the person that she wants to become i.e Oden. Also they are indeed benchmarks, she even asked Luffy if it was truly ok to go help Momo and them corrected herself, because "of course its ok he is my son", and when Luffy said that she couldn't be Oden because he was loved by all she literally says that he i
    "is more Oden than her", as if there is a list of check marks and Luffy has more of them checked, because again, she literally isnt Oden, she wants to become him and she is trying to fill those checkmarks and then she will(in her mind) become Oden, she even told Ulti " thisbis the day I become Oden" iirc, because she isnt him yet, she goes back and forth with this
    Last edited by IIskandar1997; October 9th, 2021 at 05:08 PM.

"We", are Carrot fans who can't bare the toxicity anymore.
    To be honest, if you can't bear the toxicity (which arguably doesn't actually exist, and I say that as someone who supports Carrot and Yamato equally), you probably need to distance yourself from forums altogether because these aren't a Carrot only support group.

If there is any actual toxicity, then report and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Gol D. Silvers View Post
    Fair enough! Though we've had 119 chapters of Wano in total so far, he's appeared in approximately 40% of them, and that figure will continue to increase.

The story as a whole, since we're in the last handful of years of One Piece and the crew's journey as a whole - yes, he's late to the story/journey.

Just like how Oden was to Roger's crew. He only joined them I think for the final year.

I'm not saying it in a disparaging way though - Oda's more than made up for it and I'm excited for him to be officially part of the crew.

Considering how big the Yonko crews are and even Roger's crew, if Luffy will have less than those totals, he needs to have top-level fighters. Yamato, Jinbe, Sanji, and Zoro all fit the bill.
    That's the thing, because some say Jinbe joined up too late. I do agree about welcoming more hard hitters though.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    Luffy will start calling him by his name once he sees his hybrid and full mythological zoan forms.
    I recall that Luffy was referring to Chopper as "Monster" for like the entire day he met him to nightfall. I suppose it would actually seem too quick for Luffy to see Yamato as a fully-fledged friend right away since he has only known her for less than a day really.

And in your opinion trying to literally become another person isnt questioning your self place??? When she literally says that she had to take that burden because everyone else that could was dead as far as he knew? Even when she constantly goes om tangents like "I have to break free because I'm Oden/I have to defeat Kaido because I'm Oden/It should be ok to protect Momo because he is my son" as if she had to constantly create arbitrary goalposts and roles to play for herself so she can be what Oden is suposed to be, instead it coming naturally to her? not to mention how she goes back and forth with "I an Oden" and "I have to be Oden/I cant be Oden unless.." ? To each their own interpretation I guess, but to me its very clear that she internalized Kaido's view about onis and belives that she can only have such a great life by literally becoming another person, and thats one of the reasons why Oda is setting up Momo to emulate the hour of legends by lifting Onigashima, because thats the moment Oden became the hero of Wano and the moment she fell for him, and with that+his appearance and lineage Momo will become more Oden than she could ever hope to be, and her final development will go from there
    Yamato idealizes Oden. Yamato watched Oden die at a young age and then spent the next 20 years reading his personal journal, which helped define who he/she was and what he/she wanted to be. I'm not a psychologist and I won't pretend to be, but nothing that we've seen so far indicates that Yamato is trying to stop being "Oden" or resolve some sort of identify crisis. To be Oden is to be free. Like the saying goes, it's a feature, not a bug. It's what makes Yamato Yamato. Right now, only readers seem to be acting like there's something inherently wrong with Yamato wanting to be as "Oden" as possible. It's like people assuming there's something wrong with Yamato identifying as a man. People should just let the character be the character without assuming there's anything wrong with them that needs to be fixed.

Most interesting part of this argument, is that Yamato isn't also struggling to decide whether to stay or leave, but you think it is xD

Yamato idealizes Oden. Yamato watched Oden die at a young age and then spent the next 20 years reading his personal journal, which helped define who he/she was and what he/she wanted to be. I'm not a psychologist and I won't pretend to be, but nothing that we've seen so far indicates that Yamato is trying to stop being "Oden" or resolve some sort of identify crisis. To be Oden is to be free. Like the saying goes, it's a feature, not a bug. It's what makes Yamato Yamato. Right now, only readers seem to be acting like there's something inherently wrong with Yamato wanting to be as "Oden" as possible. It's like people assuming there's something wrong with Yamato identifying as a man. People should just let the character be the character without assuming there's anything wrong with them that needs to be fixed.
    Where did I say that Yamato is trying to stop being Oden??? I said that it will eventually happen because this type of behavior doesnt fit a story, is nonsensical and unhealthy, did you skip how almost every time she proclained to be Oden people got weirded out? Even Luffy, who accepts most stuff, the only ones that didnt were the samurai in the cave, and she doesnt identify as a man she identifies as Oden and that has been argued ad nauseum already. My point is that this is the most likely route that her character will go through, I cant see the story continuing with her still wanting to be him, she will forever love and idolize him but as her own separate person and will achieve her dreams like that, and I belive that only then Luffy will start to call her by her name though this last part could happen before too

Closed Thread

Thread Information