View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
368. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

189 51.36%
  • Shinobu

1 0.27%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc)

1 0.27%
  • Momo

9 2.45%
  • Tama

9 2.45%
  • Carrot

68 18.48%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

7 1.90%
  • Caribou

6 1.63%
  • Other

28 7.61%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

50 13.59%
Closed Thread
Page 483 of 506 FirstFirst ... 383 433 473 481 482 483 484 485 493 ... LastLast
Results 9,641 to 9,660 of 10112

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Character popularity is an interesting concept when it comes to the story structure. I don't believe Oda will completely change his vision on a character based on the desires of fans but rather I feel he would consider enhancing how they are presented. In a different reality where Weevil is the most popular Shichibukai, could we have seen him feature beyond the few panels we have gotten so far? Or if Urouge was equated as a rival to Luffy alongside Kid and Law, would Oda have written Urouge into this Wano Arc or promoted him in the Whole Cake Island Arc by writing him in as an ally that takes on Snack during "Sanji's retrieval" (rather than before)? Maybe, maybe not. I do feel though if a character isn't central to the immediate happenings (i.e. characters that are not the Yonko), having popularity would assist in bringing them more into the attention of the story. It would explain why the progressions surrounding characters like Sabo, Law and Marco are fleshed out in panel time opposed to other less popular characters like Raizo, Jack, Inuarashi and Nekomamushi. Between these extremes there also exist a point where a character's lack of focus is intentional by Oda even if popular which seems to be the case currently for characters like Hiyori and Denjiro.

I usually try to avoid joining in on the discussion on Carrot but I can't help it with this post. Her popularity is indeed surprising but I suspect that even if Oda wished to feature her more, his plans for the Wano Arc were already in motion to adjust toward accommodating additional spotlighting on Carrot. It appears that the majority of the focus Oda wished to place on Carrot wasn't aligned with any battles but rather something more dialogue based once Nekomamushi and Inuarashi open up about the mysterious "Dawn" they are referring to. Would things have turned out differently if these character popularity results came out at the start of the Wano Kuni Arc? Would Oda have constructed an opponent that would allow Carrot to be highlighted in battle such as a new Beast Pirate? Could be. Obviously, there will be a conclusion to her story arc but based on the treatment Oda has given her throughout the Wano Kuni Arc it appears more aligned with that of a secondary character than one set-up to evolve into taking a place amongst the main cast.

There may have been a promise whispered to readers during the events of Whole Cake Island concerning Carrot but nothing within the Wano Kuni Arc so far suggests or substantiates a path toward that elevated end seemingly implied.

One of the elements I look at considerably for characters holding potential to join the Straw Hat Pirates is the set-up they receive. What focus did they receive? What mysteries were imbued into their story that would be fascinating to uncover? Can their story stand alongside the rest of the Straw Hat Pirates? The thing about a character when they join as a Straw Hat Pirate is the proceeding level of focus they then receive is incredibly lessened and minimized. So it makes it all the more imperative that the coverage the specific character is given prior to joining the Straw Hat Pirates is substantial and defined enough to carry them forward into the future content of One Piece. Unless the Straw Hat Pirate is Luffy or Zoro, they aren't getting extra treatment. A Straw Hat Pirate rather than being treated as an individual character within the arc is instead treated as part of a group. The very dynamic of the character changes once joining part of the main cast. Sure each character can have their moments, but you rarely get a Straw Hat Pirate having driving story treads of their own within an arc. There were the arcs centering around Robin (Enies Lobby) and Sanji (Whole Cake Island) but in both those arcs, Robin and Sanji were restricted in certain capacities. This is especially true for the later members who joined the crew after being given runway to make their mark. After joining, these members do not receive as substantial focus. Some of Robin's, Franky's, Brook's and Jinbe's best/memorable moments came before they joined the Straw Hat Pirates. This is why characters that receive significant focus in arcs prior to joining the Straw Hat Pirates are viewed as strong contenders in my eyes.

With Carrot, while she may have had focus in the Whole Cake Island Arc, her overall presentation by Oda is markedly lacking from my view. What is Carrot's role within the Wano Kuni Arc? What wouldn't have been achieved in the Wano Kuni Arc without her there? Her most substantial accomplishment within the arc was deviating Perospero's attention away from Marco and onto Wanda and her. It was great moment but within an arc like Wano, it was noticeably overshadowed and appeared more to set-up Macro's role within the arc than her own. This is supported by the heightened focus Marco received going forward and the battle Carrot and Wanda were waging against Perospero being completely off-screened until focus needed to shift to their defeated states. Such focus or lack of focus appears to demonstrate intentions by Oda. If a character were destined to become part of the main cast, I honestly do not believe they would be handled in such a manner by Oda. The current moment is the most important time for a potential Straw Hat nakama and rather than lacking focus, Oda would be intensifying it. Outside the focus Carrot received alongside the Straw Hat Pirates, there hasn't been much else concentrated on before the battle against Perospero (about 6 panels focusing on Carrot away from the Straw Hat Pirates before the Onigashima raid).

I may have missed a few but here are the panels featuring Carrot in the chapters across the Wano Arc.

Spoiler:

Chapter 910

Spoiler:

Chapter 911

Spoiler:

Chapter 919

Spoiler:

Chapter 920

Spoiler:

Chapter 921

Spoiler:

Chapter 922

Spoiler:

Chapter 924

Spoiler:

Chapter 925

Spoiler:

Chapter 929

Spoiler:

Chapter 938

Spoiler:

Chapter 955

Spoiler:

Chapter 959

Spoiler:

Chapter 975

Spoiler:

Chapter 976

Spoiler:

Chapter 977

Spoiler:

Chapter 978

Spoiler:

Chapter 979

Spoiler:

Chapter 981
    Spoiler:

Chapter 982

Spoiler:

Chapter 983

Spoiler:

Chapter 985

Spoiler:

Chapter 986

Spoiler:

Chapter 987

Spoiler:

Chapter 988

Spoiler:

Chapter 989

Spoiler:

Chapter 992

Spoiler:

Chapter 995

Spoiler:

Chapter 1006
    Spoiler:

Chapter 1023

Spoiler:

Chapter 1026

Spoiler:

From such focus, Carrot has largely not been an active player within the Wano Kuni Arc and that makes me question her potential as a Straw Hat Pirate. I do find that it may be possible for Carrot to still feature in future arcs due to her popularity and prominence as a Mink (one of the main ones).

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Wow, gathering every Carrot appearance since after WCI.

Carrot fans would be proud.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

I don't remember any fanfare surrounding Capone that would outweigh Urouge. Is his treatment that representative of him being over Urouge? A decision for Capone to be placed in the prior arc and cover story that were both extensive is something Oda wanted to do. Too many examples that seem "I wanted to do this" or "I thought this was interesting" from Oda. Until I hear him speak of more fan feedback that sparked major decisions, I just can't run with something like a pop vote being a factor for nakama that is so instrumental to the story.

If it wasn't that important to the story, I wouldn't hold the position of no one joining after Brook. Yet, he spent so much story on Jinbe.

We're waiting for payoff specifically because of what happened in WCI. Something substantial ought to happen before Kaido falls, but I'm not worried just because it hasn't happened yet.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

Yamato seems sealed as a Crew member although I would have preferred Carrot, as Yamato is too much overpowered, even compared to the monster trio (even if I don't like talking about power creeps)

Next member recruit will be on Elbaf, as it has been too hyped, but won't be a giant

Last member...I still say Smoker
    Proud Kintama Owner

Now everyone will know 919 is the one last time Carrot interacted with Luffy, and that's one hundred chapters ago.

Still love 976-77, myself. As a group endeavor and all.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

Aaaaand... Yamato is back to Momo duty. At least for now, so much for bonding with Luffy, who still calls him by nickname.
    Last edited by Deicide; October 3rd, 2021 at 09:43 AM.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

Well. Carrot's gotten a panel in three of the past five chapters. I guess that's...something? Not surprised that Yamato got sent away. That's twice now that Luffy has asked Yamato to help Momo. Wonder if there will be a third.

Wow, must have been tough to keep that comment to yourself since the spoiler came out...

"There will be an answer, let it be."

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    Aaaaand... Yamato is back to Momo duty. At least for now, so much for bonding with Luffy, who still calls him by nickname.
    Luffy called Chopper "Reindeer" right up to the moment he joined.

Quote Originally Posted by Shift View Post
    We're waiting for payoff specifically because of what happened in WCI. Something substantial ought to happen before Kaido falls, but I'm not worried just because it hasn't happened yet.

Quote Originally Posted by TLC View Post
    Luffy called Chopper "Reindeer" right up to the moment he joined.
    If I recall correctly, Luffy never learned Chopper's name before he joined, thought. So it was more a case of Luffy not knowing how to call him, rather than knowing but still calling him improperly.
    Last edited by Deicide; October 3rd, 2021 at 10:33 AM.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

If I recall correctly, Luffy never learned Chopper's name before he joined, thought. So it was more a case of Luffy don't knowing how to call him, rather than knowing but still calling him improperly.
    So Hancock can never become a Strawhat... too bad....

Quote Originally Posted by Zhenja View Post
    So Hancock can never become a Strawhat... too bad....
    What are you even talking about?

He not only call her by name, he owes her big (and said so as much) and wants to see her again. Plus, her character arc hasn't even happened yet. Amazon Lily just introduced her issues, and Impel Down/Marineford weren't about solving her issues. Her story is still coming.
    Last edited by Deicide; October 3rd, 2021 at 10:47 AM.

What are you even talking about?

He not only call her by name, he owes her big (and said so as much) and wants to see her again. Plus, her character arc hasn't even happened yet. Amazon Lily just introduced her issues, and Impel Down/Marineford weren't about solving her issues. Her story is still coming.

Yeah, right... took him how long to call her Hancock? How much time did they spent together? After she smuggled him into Impel Down, right?

You using that argument against Yamato is the biggest joke...

Yeah, right... took him how long to call her Hancock? How much time did they spent together? After she smuggled him into Impel Down, right?

https://abload.de/img/2021-10-0319_49_07-onc8kqz.png

You using that argument against Yamato is the biggest joke...
    That's because at that point she hadn't done anything special for him.
    Things change after they reach Impel Down. They had four days to bond, and he came to understand how much she was risking by helping him.
    He calling her properly in their farewell was actually a highlighted moment. She had earned his full respect at that point.

If we’re gonna have another Warlord join I would want it to be Sir Crocodile

That's because at that point she hadn't done anything special for him.
    Things change after they reach Impel Down. They had four days to bond....
    Four f*cking days....
    Yamato doesn't get an hour to bond with him, she's just out... Great logic right there!!!

He calling her properly in their farewell was actually a highlighted moment. She had earned his full respect at that point.
    2 more years for Luffy to process everything...

Yamato doesn't get an hour to bond with him, she's just out...
    Someone needs to understand what "At least for now" means.

But anyway, more Momo/Yamao bonding incoming instead.

Closed Thread

Thread Information