View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
368. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

189 51.36%
  • Shinobu

1 0.27%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc)

1 0.27%
  • Momo

9 2.45%
  • Tama

9 2.45%
  • Carrot

68 18.48%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

7 1.90%
  • Caribou

6 1.63%
  • Other

28 7.61%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

50 13.59%
Closed Thread
Page 482 of 506 FirstFirst ... 382 432 472 480 481 482 483 484 492 ... LastLast
Results 9,621 to 9,640 of 10112

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Doubt Gin would stop following Krieg.

Quote Originally Posted by astagadragon View Post
    Shine? I mean, Carrot is literally a background character atm, in an arc with so many named characters that also waiting for their moment to shine...

Gonna be realistic tho, maybe she will be involved in post-arc Minks moment/mass reaction faces, and that will be it.
    Some of the Scabbards have felt more prominent, even though some of them were introduced after Carrot.

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    Oh man imagine if it was gin
    Mixed feelings there. Gin falls in with the wrong pitate crew again.

BB is an upgrade over Krieg but he's still a bastard. You'd think Gin would find someone more like Luffy, say Shanks or become a captain himself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    Doubt Gin would stop following Krieg.
    Seems you didnt pay attention to the end of the Baratie arc.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if Carrot kept sailing with the crew even if she doesn’t join as a tag along, based solely on how insanely popular she is
    Oda wouldn't do that really, he stated how surprised he was about Carrot making it so high in the world wide popularity poll, and still nothing has changed, she's still recieving the exact same treatment she's always been since she put a feet on Wano.
    Now, it appears evident that Carrot has fulfilled her missions in WCI; introducing Sulong, provide support in the absense of the master of Lookout-ness(Usopp), and gave the drama of Pedro's dead. Also, coincidentally(just coincidentally) she was there to listen the story of Nox Pirates.
    She's no longer has any reasons to keep going as a tag-along in what would be her fourth arc of unexplained, unjustified presence. She's either joining as a strawhat pirate, or is left behind, it ain't no middle ground.

more than just Law
    Law stated(and quite clearly), that his alliance with Luffy will formally end along with Kaido's fall.

However, it does seem like we're taking Caribou in the Sunny, we would be taking Yamato too, since he's not changing his mind at all about sailing with Luffy, and theorically, the SH's could even take O-lin with them, if nothing else happens to her.

As for everyone else, they've stated to stay and live the new Wano era(Momo and Tama for example), the Scabbards would stay too, the Yakuza are irrelevant, every other Supernova has their own means to sail, but perhaps Drake would like to take a ride, and there isn't even the slightiest hint about anyone else.

So I'd say for now, Caribou and Yamato are in, everyone else, not so much.

Discovered Stowaway astagadragon's Avatar

Carrot is popular, yes, but even after the poll she still get a very minimal panel time. And when she does appears, the panel is either small or she only get to say a bare minimum of dialogue.

Just compare it to Momo, for instance. Cheat aside he does get a nice character development and cool moment, now becoming a major factor in the raid.
    "The rain has ceased, and we have been graced by another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it." - Elidibus

I don't think popularity would play into a Straw Hat situation. If Oda wants Tama to join, would her not making the top 200 (just example, I don't know her spot) change his mind. He has to have solid plans for a character if they are meant to be a Straw Hat. Is there a character from the past that he revealed could have been a crew member, but wasn't popular enough.

It just doesn't sound right. Fan feedback being a factor with something as crucial as nakama would have to been mentioned for someone in the past, despite most SHs being determined before the series began. "Wyper was taken into consideration as a possible SH, but the fans were so excited for the shipwright I kept foreshadowing". Yeah, anything up that alley doesn't fit.

Usually, Straw Hats-to-be end up popular because Oda puts more work on them. They are slowly developed and layered, and have ample chances (flashback, fights, DON!-worthy moments) to raise their popularity and make them stand above most other characters.

But the reverse isn't true. Sometimes a character is popular by looks, fan expectations or just one big moment that makes that character stand out.

So, my rule of thumb is that an unpopular character is unlikely to become a Straw Hat, but popularity alone does not make someone a good candidate.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

Guys I did not say Carrot would join the crew I said she might tag along, those two are not the same thing at all

Also Law all but said he wants to find out the truth of the Will of D which I doubt he’ll do without the Straw Hats, I think Oda put that scene in to show he’ll travel with them a bit more (no idea what his crew will do) but why put that scene otherwise

Caribou has already got Luffy to say he can travel with them

The next few arcs will deal with the Marines/world government, so I think X Drake is gonna be a big part of it, it’s just a guess but I think he might help the Straw Hats for beating Kaido, although I don’t know where that will leave him with the Marines, you know Akainu isn’t the most forgiving guy

And I think, that well Kidd and Killer have there own ship, I think they’ll be traveling close with the Straw Hats, I think Oda hasn’t done all he wants with them, they are Luffy’s and Zoro’s main rivals (although they are pitifully far behind…. Kind of becoming a joke to call them rivals) this is just a theory though all feeling on this one

Moria, Croc and Hancock are all coming into the story soon I think

There’s a lot of potential for a lot of allies

I hope I’m wrong, I’d like less characters and more Straw Hats but I think those days are over

Also Law all but said he wants to find out the truth of the Will of D which I doubt he’ll do without the Straw Hats, I think Oda put that scene in to show he’ll travel with them a bit more (no idea what his crew will do) but why put that scene otherwise
    I figured the opposite. I thought Oda put that scene in there to give Law an out to not tag along anymore and a different path not heading necessarily in the same direction as the strawhats making Luffy pirate king.

What the Will of D really is or means doesn't have to be something only the strawhats will discover so I figure there's more than one way to get that answer and Law will find it.

Moria, Croc and Hancock are all coming into the story soon I think

There’s a lot of potential for a lot of allies

I hope I’m wrong, I’d like less characters and more Straw Hats but I think those days are over
    Probably should add Bonney, Urouge, and Weevil to that list.

Carrot ranked 7th in the popularity poll and has still gotten like two panels in the seven months since then.

Momo ranked 180th. And has gotten nothing but focus and payoff. (And I'd be willing to bet he'll do far better in the next poll a few years from now, as the poll was during his low point where he was being broken down so he could rise up)

Jinbe started at 110 then climbed as high as 6.

Oda didn't throw away his Vegeta when he stumbled on him, so he made Law a warlord instead of Hawkins. And he nonsenically threw Marco into this arc, so he's not above elevating characters when it doesn't truly matter... but he's not going to radically change his plans based on popularity. Otherwise Hancock would be showing up all the time and Ace would still be alive.
    Last edited by Robby; October 1st, 2021 at 12:18 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Carrot ranked 7th in the popularity poll and has still gotten like two panels in the seven months since then.

Momo ranked 180th. And has gotten nothing but focus and payoff. (And I'd be willing to bet he'll do far better in the next poll a few years from now, as the poll was during his low point where he was being broken down so he could rise up)

Jinbe started at 110 then climbed as high as 6.

Oda didn't throw away his Vegeta when he stumbled on him, so he made Law a warlord instead of Hawkins. And he nonsenically threw Marco into this arc, so he's not above elevating characters when it doesn't truly matter... but he's not going to radically change his plans based on popularity. Otherwise Hancock would be showing up all the time and Ace would still be alive.
    Yamato ranked 11th and has gotten huge attention, two flashbacks and the most crucial roles in the arc including a big fight where she fends off a Yonkou and protects the most important character in the arc. Not disagreeing with you or anything. I just wanted to point that out. Because Yamato is awesome.

Becoming a Strawhat is something Oda plans out from the beginning of the character's introduction and I don't think he's ever picked a character out of popularity, Sure Law gets to tag along as a long term ally but Oda always plans for that special role and drops the big obvious hints. Brook was asked on his introduction before Oda could ever take the temperature of his appeal. Oda will throw a bone but he is not beholden to popularity polls and if a character is not getting a lot of attention after a long period of opportunity and if a character is getting a lot of attention after a short time...well that's probably not a coincidence.

Even in death, Ace suffocates the story. Since his death, he pops up in different ways. Can't go 2 arcs w/o his involvement.

Only natural for a pivotal supporting character that is directly connected to the main character to loom larger in the series after death.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Poochies gotta pooch

Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    Even in death, Ace suffocates the story. Since his death, he pops up in different ways. Can't go 2 arcs w/o his involvement.
    Yep, even though he's dead, he still remains relevant to the story.

I would say that's good seeing as he was quite prominent pirate with the world's strongest crew and had a good devil fruit. He was a big rookie in the new world so it's not a surprise that his influence is still felt, whether through Yamato or Marco or Sabo.

I hardly think Ace is ssuffocating the story either. It's not like he's had a major impact on any arc, just little things.

Ace's fruit and Sabo are a big part of Dressrosa.

Tama and Yamato might become SHs with connections to Ace.. He was also Oden's "replacement" in WB's crew based on what's been shown so far.

Nothing wrong with any of that. It's more proof that dead or not, Ace still has impact on the immediate story.

While the Hancock and other examples apply, Ace doesn't. He's still effective while dead.

Ace does represent what One Piece is about. And it was his death that led to the 3D2Y moment, one of the most intimate and memorable moments of One Piece. Ace when alive was an extremely relevant character to the story but it could be said that with his death, Ace's role in the story has transformed into an even more prominent one. Just as how Roger inspired the Pirate Age, Ace inspired both Luffy and Sabo and has become the driving force for both their adventures in the New World. Additionally, with the current events in Wano Kuni, Ace's journey there 3-4 years ago is holding importance to the characters featured and the developments being unraveled (Yamato and Tama and Ace's promise). And there is also Jinbe who has a connection to Ace.

The story has yet to shift to Ace's grave, so his relevance within the story is only going to increase. And then there is the Blackbeard Pirates and Sakazuki who have also been tied to Ace's story. Whether you like Ace or not, he is one of the most central characters to One Piece. I love Ace so I actually look forward to seeing how his story impacts the ongoing developments of One Piece moving forward.

Yeah, that is the point, his role is more prominent dead than when he is alive. So, this notion that he would "still be alive" if popularity mattered doesn't add up. His role in the immediate story has taken an upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Syphin View Post
    Ace does represent what One Piece is about. And it was his death that led to the 3D2Y moment, one of the most intimate and memorable moments of One Piece. Ace when alive was an extremely relevant character to the story but it could be said that with his death, Ace's role in the story has transformed into an even more prominent one. Just as how Roger inspired the Pirate Age, Ace inspired both Luffy and Sabo and has become the driving force for both their adventures in the New World. Additionally, with the current events in Wano Kuni, Ace's journey there 3-4 years ago is holding importance to the characters featured and the developments being unraveled (Yamato and Tama and Ace's promise). And there is also Jinbe who has a connection to Ace.

The story has yet to shift to Ace's grave, so his relevance within the story is only going to increase. And then there is the Blackbeard Pirates and Sakazuki who have also been tied to Ace's story. Whether you like Ace or not, he is one of the most central characters to One Piece. I love Ace so I actually look forward to seeing how his story impacts the ongoing developments of One Piece moving forward.
    Yeah I always saw it as WB's death was for the world and ushering in a new era but Ace's death was for the characters who would actually define that new era.
    Last.fm

Closed Thread

Thread Information