View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
368. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

189 51.36%
  • Shinobu

1 0.27%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc)

1 0.27%
  • Momo

9 2.45%
  • Tama

9 2.45%
  • Carrot

68 18.48%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

7 1.90%
  • Caribou

6 1.63%
  • Other

28 7.61%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

50 13.59%
Closed Thread
Page 480 of 506 FirstFirst ... 380 430 470 478 479 480 481 482 490 ... LastLast
Results 9,581 to 9,600 of 10112

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

This doesn't really have huge basis or anything but I've been a fan of Vivi getting Kuma's fruit during the reverie incident. That's just in case if Oda does want to make her rejoin that fruit is like a very easy power up.

Discovered Stowaway astagadragon's Avatar

After all I've been seeing so far in Wano, Oda seems like not interested anymore in Minks storyline. He skipped the cathartic Sulongs pile up on Jack, made the confusing "revenge Pedro" plot and then offscreened most of Neko and Inu's final battle in raid. Of course, because of that Carrot has been reduced to a mere background character at best.

I saw ppl comparing Carrot to Paulie at Enies Lobby, but Paulie at least had a better showing in the early parts of the raid by actually confronting the enemies. Carrot... has not. She's been missing for too long and reappears only on small panels with not meaningful dialogues at that. Even with Peros done I dont think Carrot's situation will get better, as we still need to deal with other important match ups. I think her time is almost up and done.

Not to beat a dead... um, rabbit at this point, but Yamato's part on the raid is far from over and now she's gonna partnering with Luffy to take down daddy dearest. That a lush place for character development etc...
    "The rain has ceased, and we have been graced by another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it." - Elidibus

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    I'd say Carrot will be lucky if she doesnt disappear for another six months, gets backround character appearances and a tiny bit of dialogue at least, As of right now and as I anticipated, Carrot would not move at all until Pedro's revange had been consumated, and as I also expected, she would still remain the non-interested in the Dawn at all character that's always been.

Yamato witnessing what kind of inspiring person Luffy, is a notoriously StrawHat-ish trait, I could recall most if not all had panels comparable to that one, I would say, and because is one of the most memorables, its similar to Franky being inspired by Luffy's confidence about crushing down the Cipher Pools and get Robin back, which is what convinced Franky to side with them and back them up.

Now, Luffy and Yamato together again, Robin's apparently fainted and Zoro will too, 8 StrawHats+Yamato equals 9, we're still lacking a Nine Shadows Prophecy, and we're approaching the civilans that would witness the prophecy at the capital, things are looking good.
    Forgot about this. Good point.

Zoro watching Luffy fight Morgan, Nami watching Luffy beat Morgan, Sanji watching Luffy beat Krieg, Robin watching Luffy beat Crocodile or if others prefer Luffy declaring war on the WG for Robin to see, etc.

That is a thing Oda tends to do with future nakama.

As for the prophecy, I guess it could work with Robin currently out of commission. Although I would say until a change Chopper is pretty out of it as well.

I've been mixing and matching characters for a possible 9 shadow line up. I did rule out the crew given right now there's 10 of them.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Yamato finally getting back with Luffy took a while, but it's here. Hopefully Oda doesn't ship him to Momo moving Onigashima duty. Momo can do it by himself. He doesn't need Yamato who knows about his father's abilities to coach him through it. Yamato fits better with Luffy who keeps telling those assisting him that he got it and they should tend to other matters.

If you're gonna ship Yamato elsewhere, it should be with other Strawhats and not Momo. Yamato is lacking Strawhat interactions.

Now that I think about it, Momo had Luffy on his head and got to the roof just fine and has found new resolve. He doesn't need Yamato.

Quote Originally Posted by astagadragon View Post
    Not to beat a dead... um, rabbit at this point, but Yamato's part on the raid is far from over and now she's gonna partnering with Luffy to take down daddy dearest. That a lush place for character development etc...
    As well has how Luffy acknowledged Yamato holding Kaido back from hurting anyone else in addition to their team attack.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    Forgot about this. Good point.

Zoro watching Luffy fight Morgan, Nami watching Luffy beat Morgan, Sanji watching Luffy beat Krieg, Robin watching Luffy beat Crocodile or if others prefer Luffy declaring war on the WG for Robin to see, etc.

That is a thing Oda tends to do with future nakama.
    Yeah, either the would-be crewmate seeing Luffy defeat or at least part of the process of him defeating an enemy that got in the crewmate's way. I suppose that would make Yamato witnessing Luffy beat Kaido up symbolic somehow.

The Luffy VS Kaido battle still has a ways to go before concluding and I think Yamato will have enough time to assist Momonosuke and make his way back to witness Luffy defeating Kaido. Luffy will be aware what Yamato is doing and that is all that is needed for Yamato to secure the answer he seeks from Luffy. When it comes to Yamato, there isn't actually any need for him to have any interactions with the other Straw Hat Pirates during this climax. Yamato is the one character in One Piece where a lack of Straw Hat Pirate interaction outside Luffy works in his favour. Through off-hand comments, Kaido's speech and announcements from the Beast Pirates, those unaware of Yamato have become aware of him. The big reveal and unveiling of the mystery will take place after Kaido's defeat. After the current Beast Pirate announcement, Jinbe may have deduced what is going on.

While Kaido and Luffy are on Onigashima, it appears the battle will involve just the two of them. Kaido will come to reevaluate his view on Luffy. During that time Yamato may end assisting Momonosuke - Momo works best when he has others guiding and supporting him. Eventually, I suspect the battle between Luffy and Kaido will relocate to the Flower Capital, specifically where Oden's hour long execution took place. Kaido has been haunted by Oden since the raid began and having his fight conclude in the place where he chose to execute Oden, who mentioned to him that his soul will live on after his death, seems fitting to conclude Kaido's reign over Wano. Yamato will be present during this moment as well as the other "shadows". Big Mom will also be there to witness the fall of Kaido.

Oden's execution site may also be where Momonosuke cancels his Dragon transformation and returns to his human form, which would look like a certain figure that would bring the people of Wano to tears (those with a heart at least).

Quote Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post
    Honestly, with how absent she has felt at Onigashima, it feels like I've gotten to know Yamato more than Carrot at this point, even though Carrot was introduced years before Yamato, and has felt less crucial in what she could contribute in furthering Luffy's story in helping him become Pirate King and claiming the One Piece.
    Carrot is also a considerably more shallow character, in terms of motivation, personality, backstory, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon D. Luffy View Post
    Carrot is also a considerably more shallow character, in terms of motivation, personality, backstory, etc
    I will admit that there did seem to be some momentum being started with Zou and Whole Cake, but then with how she has been decidedly less focused on after all of that, I just get the feeling that the story will have to make up quite a bit to have Carrot's journey be crucial with Luffy's.

I've seen some dope panels used to show future SHs, but I rarely see this one brought up. He fits so well. No idiot captain either. This was after many interactions outside of Luffy too.

Spoiler:

Oda does not forget or abandon plot threads. That's all I'll say for now, but he's not going to just ditch Carrot's storyline. Whether she joins or not, her role in the story isn't finished. If it were up to some of the people in this thread, she'd disappear without a trace and never see the Straw Hats again or just rescind into a Shishilian type role.

It must be asked - why did Oda write the confrontation between Carrot and Perospero if Nekomamushi was ultimately going to be responsible for his defeat? It's not like she was in peril and Neko arrived at the last moment to save her (in other words, it wasn't to elevate the stakes).

Importantly, after her defeat, she again remembered Pedro's final words - 'every person gets their time to shine (Roger's message to Pedro). Keep moving forward.'

Carrot's time to shine hasn't arrived yet and now we know for certain it won't be defeating Perospero. A grudge match against Perospero was never going to resolve her story. Avenging Pedro's death is holding onto the past, but he wanted her to look toward the future. So what does that mean and where does she go from here? Vengeance has been taken off the table, but Pedro's words haven't been forgotten. Which means there is a very real question of where Carrot goes and what she does which needs to be addressed.
    Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Jimbei, Carrot, Vivi, Smoker

"ONE PIECE, IT EXISTS" - The Great Pirate Edward Newgate

Well, since she doesn't really have anything else to do here, that sounds like it'll be a great cover story.

Default Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Vongola_Boss_XI View Post
    Oda does not forget or abandon plot threads. That's all I'll say for now, but he's not going to just ditch Carrot's storyline. Whether she joins or not, her role in the story isn't finished. If it were up to some of the people in this thread, she'd disappear without a trace and never see the Straw Hats again or just rescind into a Shishilian type role.

It must be asked - why did Oda write the confrontation between Carrot and Perospero if Nekomamushi was ultimately going to be responsible for his defeat? It's not like she was in peril and Neko arrived at the last moment to save her (in other words, it wasn't to elevate the stakes).

Importantly, after her defeat, she again remembered Pedro's final words - 'every person gets their time to shine (Roger's message to Pedro). Keep moving forward.'

Carrot's time to shine hasn't arrived yet and now we know for certain it won't be defeating Perospero. A grudge match against Perospero was never going to resolve her story. Avenging Pedro's death is holding onto the past, but he wanted her to look toward the future. So what does that mean and where does she go from here? Vengeance has been taken off the table, but Pedro's words haven't been forgotten. Which means there is a very real question of where Carrot goes and what she does which needs to be addressed.
    Considering how Pedro's journey ended, I'm expecting she'll try emulating his sacrifice somehow...which I suspect will be portrayed as another misguided error on top of her quest for revenge. I imagine we'll see a clear distinction be emphasized between Pedro's actions and motivations vs. say the overeagerness of a Squardo or Ashura's ill-fated comrades.

It's no accident that so much focus is being placed on the subject of death and how ones goes out in this arc alone. There's much more left to unpack here on the topics of life and death.

I think you Carrot guys might be disappointed with how Oda ends up tying that plot thread up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coookie View Post
    Spoiler:

GIN WILL RETURN!
    Last edited by Zik; September 28th, 2021 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Nothing ironic about my Carrot opinion and my belief that Gin will return. No correlation! Nothing at all! Totally different!
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

It's kinda weird using Gedatsu's cover arc and Gin to say Oda does drop storylines. Just because there hasn't been any resolution payoff yet, doesn't mean there never will be. And technically, Oda left it that Gin was going to die - so as much as I think he could return, there was never any promise made in the narrative that he would.

As for Gedatsu's cover arc - Eneru's hasn't paid off yet either, but no one doubts it will at some point. Hachi' sea floor stroll seemed similarly unimportant, but eventually came back around. Just because it isn't obvious how and when Gedatsu's story will be relevant doesn't mean it was arbitrary or pointless.
    Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Jimbei, Carrot, Vivi, Smoker

It's kinda weird using Gedatsu's cover arc and Gin to say Oda does drop storylines. Just because there hasn't been any resolution payoff yet, doesn't mean there never will be. And technically, Oda left it that Gin was going to die - so as much as I think he could return, there was never any promise made in the narrative that he would.
    100% wrong here. You're falling for the red herring that is death by poison.

I mean who even dies from poison in One Piece? Luffy? Blackbeard? Bentham?

Oda wrote a character doubling down on his dream/desire to be a pirate (inheriting it from his disgraced captain) with the added see you some time in the future in the place I was once scared shitless of but plan to go to again anyway.

Not saying Gin will join, be important, or even be noteworthy. He can show back up as a part of Foxy's crew for all I care but he will return, as a pirate, meet Luffy again (probably Sanji too), somewhere on the Grandline.

As for Gedatsu, what exactly did Oda even drop? He was a sky island Birkan that's never been to the blue sea and basically went sailing around some islands. Did ppl think that was going somewhere? If that's the case did he drop following the leftover Baroque Works agents that decided to get regular day jobs?
    Last.fm

100% wrong here. You're falling for the red herring that is death by poison.

I mean who even dies from poison in One Piece? Luffy? Blackbeard? Bentham?

Oda wrote a character doubling down on his dream/desire to be a pirate (inheriting it from his disgraced captain) with the added see you some time in the future in the place I was once scared shitless of but plan to go to again anyway.

Not saying Gin will join, be important, or even be noteworthy. He can show back up as a part of Foxy's crew for all I care but he will return, as a pirate, meet Luffy again (probably Sanji too), somewhere on the Grandline.

As for Gedatsu, what exactly did Oda even drop? He was a sky island Birkan that's never been to the blue sea and basically went sailing around some islands. Did ppl think that was going somewhere? If that's the case did he drop following the leftover Baroque Works agents that decided to get regular day jobs?
    I agree with you about Gin. I was just saying that if he didn't, it wouldn't amount to a plot hole or an unfulfilled promise on Oda's part. But that doesn't mean I think he won't return.

I don't think Gedatsu is particularly important - but I do think it could lead to something. Not really sure what. My best guess was that his tunneling under Alabasta could be how Pluton is eventually unearthed.

I think there's a huge difference between Gin, who had his character arc and left in an ambiguous note, or Gedatsu, who just got a funny side-quest away from the main story, to Carrot, who's an actor in the current arc, still has her own character arc words waiting to be resolved, and even some of her arc words waiting fulfillment are "Everyone has its turn to shine".
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

I feel like Yamato vs Kaido has been hyped way too much. Yes she has Kings haki, but as we've seen it's kinda become the new pretimeskip of what Busoshoku used to be , being able to hurt invincible types like logias. The only thing Oda made clear in that fight was that he wanted to show off Yamato's devil fruit, and to add to this he wants Luffy witnessing it to be saved for later, question is why?

As for the fight itself, I felt more effort from Kaido when he was facing the Scabbards or even the supernovas, here it's obvious he's trying to talk Yamato down from her ideologies, with some iron club for good measure, but as viewed in the flashback he's been treating her like this before she could even defend herself.

"The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terror"

I just thought it's weird that every other cover story besides Gedatsu's became relevant to the main story at some point or is highly suspected to do so in the future (Enel's), making Gedatsu the clear outlier.
    Besides that I see the usual omnipotent cop-out of "anything is possible if Oda just chooses so"/"who knows what the future holds", so I'm not sure why I even bothered

Closed Thread

Thread Information