View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
368. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

189 51.36%
  • Shinobu

1 0.27%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc)

1 0.27%
  • Momo

9 2.45%
  • Tama

9 2.45%
  • Carrot

68 18.48%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

7 1.90%
  • Caribou

6 1.63%
  • Other

28 7.61%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

50 13.59%
Closed Thread
Page 476 of 506 FirstFirst ... 376 426 466 474 475 476 477 478 486 ... LastLast
Results 9,501 to 9,520 of 10112

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    Also I gotta ask do you really think the strawhats will be leaving Wano without being clued in to some of the things in Oden's journal now that Momo has it? That Robin won't inquire at all?
    why get a piece from a journal when she can get the whole picture from Raftel. she's in no hurry
    PSN: The_BlueOGRE
    Twitch: twitch.tv/blueogre

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueOGRE View Post
    why get a piece from a journal when she can get the whole picture from Raftel. she's in no hurry
    As things currently are, Robin can not get to Laugh tale so how exactly can she pass up on the journal helping her some way when she cant get the whole picture?

It may very well be that something in the journal tells her the location of the road poneglyph on Wano.

Again other than the Roger thing and the adventures we saw in the flashback nome of us know exactly whats in the journal.

Also its a bit contradictory to say the journal has too much info and Yamato knows too much and then turn around and say it would only be a "piece" for Robin.

Gotta be one or the other.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

perhaps i'll word it differently: why have Robin read the journal when she can read whatever lost history is on in Raftel? the only thing journal has done so far is made Momo realize the importance of the Kozuki clan. has a vague prophecy of a great battle that'll happen around this time. and possibly more. also, i'm pretty sure Kaido has moved the road poneglyph somewhere between the 20 years. so wherever it was before will not be helpful

What exactly is Yamato going to do if he doesn’t leave Wano? I mean what’s his purpose on staying and going back on his dream? What can he do in Wano that can’t be accomplished without him?

being a better protector when the WG has got word that someone is in possession of the cloned fruit?

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    I was watching the latest anime episode when one of Yamato's phrases struck me in a very different way compared to when the chapter came out.

It was the moment Yamato called his admiration for Oden, "the greatest of the samurai".

Back then, it was nothing. The sole interpretation was that "Oden was great and inspired me".

But lately we've seen more and more about Yamato's relationship to Wano and the samurai. With all that transpired in the manga since, we now know that Yamato dressed in traditional Wano clothes even before Oden's execution, that he had a great admiration for samurai, that he asked those in the cave if she could be a samurai someday, that Kaido taunts he will never be accepted by the samurai.

Take from that as you will.
    I mean, Yamato admiring the samurai has been obvious for a long while. Oden was a samurai. Hell, Kaidou admires the samurai too.

But in the end, Yamato still wants to leave; a 20 year old goal. I'm not sure what exactly changes here since Oden didn't stop being a samurai after leaving. This treatment of mutually exclusive goals is super odd.

I think the lesson that's becoming clearer with new chapters is that "samurai" is just an ideal to aspire, not an actual occupation or anything.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

being a better protector when the WG has got word that someone is in possession of the cloned fruit?
    Wano doesn't need protection from Yamato. It already has people like Inuarashi, Nekomamushi, Ashura Doji and Izou watching over it.

Plus, the Yakuza, Tama's Gifters, the Minks and God knows whoever more.
    Last edited by King Cannon; September 19th, 2021 at 05:34 PM.

Three admirals, vice admirals, two vice admirals who are powerful enough to be admirals, the SSG, the new and old pacifistas, Marine Warships and god knows what else Vegapunk has invented

But Yamato is going to stop that?

Also where does this theory that the Marines are gunning for Wano once Kaido goes down? Is there anything mentioned or said in the story that gives us that impression? I’m seriously asking?

The mental gymnastics to keep Yamato in Wano are hilarious.

Never mind that Water 7 actually tried to make the argument that "Franky wants to stay because his people need him", but the narrative treated it as a load of bollocks. His family was fine and could watch for themselves. If a character wishes to leave, then they should, because doing is leads to a great life experience as you get to learn about new places, people and cultures, knowledge that one can then bring back to their homes.

But for Yamato, apparently, Oda wants to make the opposite lesson. That people don't really want to leave, but stay in their comfort zones, even though the series is filled with characters wishing and then leaving their homelands behind and being praised for it. See Yasopp, Dragon, Oden, etc.

Heck, if Yamato actually dreams of being a Wano samurai or guardian, then he probably should leave as well. He already associates leaving the country with becoming stronger, so it can only benefit his growth.
    Last edited by King Cannon; September 19th, 2021 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    Three admirals, vice admirals, two vice admirals who are powerful enough to be admirals, the SSG, the new and old pacifistas, Marine Warships and god knows what else Vegapunk has invented

But Yamato is going to stop that?

Also where does this theory that the Marines are gunning for Wano once Kaido goes down? Is there anything mentioned or said in the story that gives us that impression? I’m seriously asking?
    Whatever happens with Yamato, yes, there is good reason to think the Marines and World Government will be interested in Wano.

Sengoku's words to Sakazuki at the end of Chapter 957 foreshadow some kind of action on the part of the Marines. The opening of Wano's borders is directly inspired by the opening of Japan's borders which was accompanied by the arrival of an outside force - Admiral Perry. It stands to reason that there will be some external force arriving (the Marines) to coincide with the opening of Wano's borders. Ryokugyu (or I guess Fujitora) would make a lot of sense.

We already have the World Government involved on Wano. CP0 have been trading with Orochi for quite some time and won't be happy their supply chain for seastone has been interrupted. We now know that Momo's Devil Fruit was funded by the World Government. There's something inherently special about Kaido's Devil Fruit. It was involved in the God Valley Incident. They took extreme measures to try to recreate it because they couldn't kill Kaido and take it from him the 'natural' way. They were going to force Vegapunk to hand over the artificial recreation, but Vegapunk labeled it a failure and kept it out of their hands. They will now know that's not the case. They have gone to great lengths to acquire this Devil Fruit and now Momo has it, so there's very good reason to believe they will want it back.

But also, they're opening the borders. That means the Marines are free to come in. The borders are no longer closed.
    Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Jimbei, Carrot, Vivi, Smoker

"ONE PIECE, IT EXISTS" - The Great Pirate Edward Newgate

I can see the Marines being interested in Wano, I don’t see them literally invading it, I also don’t see how Yamato staying would change anything, and most of all when you open up your borders that means allowing the rest of the world in, including the Marines and the World Government, so why do they need to invade

But most of all my point is why does Yamato need to stay for that reason? I just need to know from a Yamato stand point why he needs to stay, that’s what I’m getting at

I agree he may not join, but one way or the other it seems this guy is totally set on leaving for an adventure, which is kind of what this story is about in the first place, people leaving there homes of comfort to go see the world, have fun and make there dreams come true

perhaps i'll word it differently: why have Robin read the journal when she can read whatever lost history is on in Raftel?
    Cuz you don't know what else is in the journal.

Plus you keep talking about reading the lost history as if Robin can do it right now when she cant. Whereas the journal is in Wano right now in Momo's possession for her to access.

Exactly why do you think Robin would just pass that up?

Also I must've missed when it was said Kaido had the other road poneglyph and moved it.

You mean the copy that Vegapunk told the WG was a failure?

The WG is going to go after Momo for that? Does not seem likely.

Who even says the copy Vegapunk made even functions like a regular devil fruit?
    Last edited by Zik; September 19th, 2021 at 07:55 PM.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Vongola_Boss_XI View Post
    Whatever happens with Yamato, yes, there is good reason to think the Marines and World Government will be interested in Wano.

Sengoku's words to Sakazuki at the end of Chapter 957 foreshadow some kind of action on the part of the Marines. The opening of Wano's borders is directly inspired by the opening of Japan's borders which was accompanied by the arrival of an outside force - Admiral Perry. It stands to reason that there will be some external force arriving (the Marines) to coincide with the opening of Wano's borders. Ryokugyu (or I guess Fujitora) would make a lot of sense.

We already have the World Government involved on Wano. CP0 have been trading with Orochi for quite some time and won't be happy their supply chain for seastone has been interrupted. We now know that Momo's Devil Fruit was funded by the World Government. There's something inherently special about Kaido's Devil Fruit. It was involved in the God Valley Incident. They took extreme measures to try to recreate it because they couldn't kill Kaido and take it from him the 'natural' way. They were going to force Vegapunk to hand over the artificial recreation, but Vegapunk labeled it a failure and kept it out of their hands. They will now know that's not the case. They have gone to great lengths to acquire this Devil Fruit and now Momo has it, so there's very good reason to believe they will want it back.

But also, they're opening the borders. That means the Marines are free to come in. The borders are no longer closed.
    So by that narrative luffy and co needs to stay in wano forever because of a "maybe, possibly" threat of the marines knocking on wano's door and leaving it behind is irresponsible, despite 800 years of being isolated from the world and akainu explicitly stating they are not stepping into wano?
    Also how does yamato even stop a full fledged hypothetical invasion anyway by himself

This would be the reason if nothing else. Momo has already crashed through Onigashima in dragon form, so they'll have confirmation of that soon enough. If Vegapunk or the WG wants Momo to see why the DF worked on him, then how else would they go about getting to him?

Spoiler:

Edit: I hope the only thing we get from the journal is where the last one is or might be. Anything more than that and it risks undermining Robin's primary purpose.
    Last edited by BobLoblaw; September 19th, 2021 at 08:08 PM.

Anybody who thinks that of Robin probably hasn't grasped that she is one of the main characters in the story.

Besides it is specifically Robin's dream to find out why her home, family, and friends had to be wiped out cuz of that knowledge.
    To be honest, its not mutually exclusive.

A character can be there just for the sake of tying plot threads, and still be a main character. But to the point of the story, the Strawhat members generally aren't main characters at all. They're supporting characters to the one Main character that matters - Luffy.

Discovered Stowaway astagadragon's Avatar

The reasoning of Yamato staying in Wano is that she will magically tank everything the Marines and WG throw at Wano. Guardian god, baby!!

And for that reason, her dreams of journeying the world alongside Luffy will be discarded. Who cares about dream anyway? Not on this manga about realizing dream!
    "The rain has ceased, and we have been graced by another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it." - Elidibus

Quote Originally Posted by Light Bro View Post
    1. She doesn't have a role for the crew.
    2. She hasn't had much interaction with the crew.
    Neither did Jinbe. For like a decade. That's stuff that can come after the crisis. People speculated on him for Helmsman but that didn't get confirmed till cakeland.

Sanji barely met Nami or Zoro before they left, Chopper only met half of them before joining, Robin barely interacted with the crew and was actively not trusted, and Brook was invited on the spot. Meeting the entire crew and interacting with them isn't a requirement.

But you HAVE had the crew hearing about and wondering about him. Frankyh's brief meeting. Sanji wondering who the prince was. Jinbei wondering who was holding Kaidou off. The crew is realizing Yamato is there, and wondering who he is, and when its all said and done Luffy will be able to go "This is the guy that helped me fight Kaidou and protected Momo. He's joining the crew." and no one will have an issue with it.

She knows too much about the big mysteries. It has been hinted a few times that Oden's logbook contains a lot of important information about things like Laugh Tale,
    Oden probably talked about Raftel and there being a great story, but left it with what we saw as readers. He didn't put down the actual world breaking mysteries in it. When literally everyone else that's been there has kept quiet about it, he presumably wouldn't put the damming details in there. Otherwise he might have inisted that "burn the diary, it can't fall into wrong hands!" but he never cared about it, just his swords.

Whatever is in that journal, Momo and SHINOBU are allowed to see it too. And probably everyone will by the end of the arc. It's not that bad.

Also, we're AT the endgame. It's time to have someone that actually cares about this stuff and to be pulling those threads together.
    Last edited by Robby; September 19th, 2021 at 08:27 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

I think you should reread 957. Nothing Sengoku says to Sakzuki indicates the marines will take action on Wano. Sengoku highlights that everything they've been talking about has a connection to Wano.

Before that Sakazuki specifically says they don't even have the man power to deal with a potential Big Mom and Kaido alliance.

Nothing is really said about having a particular interest in Wano itself.
    Why are you assuming Vegapunk lied?

From what we've seen Momo can barely control his transformations and hasn't managed a hybrid form either
    That doesn't mean they'll attack Wano for Momo's copied DF.

And again what makes you think this copy deemed a failure works like a regular DF?

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    To be honest, its not mutually exclusive.
    When one says a character is only there to tie the plot together then yes it is mutually exclusive from being a main character.
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by legumes View Post
    So by that narrative luffy and co needs to stay in wano forever because of a "maybe, possibly" threat of the marines knocking on wano's door and leaving it behind is irresponsible, despite 800 years of being isolated from the world and akainu explicitly stating they are not stepping into wano?
    Also how does yamato even stop a full fledged hypothetical invasion anyway by himself
    I said nothing about what anyone should do. He asked if there was any narrative basis for suspecting the Marines / World Government will be interested in Wano. I answered that question and said nothing else about what anyone should or will do about that.

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    This would be the reason if nothing else. Momo has already crashed through Onigashima in dragon form, so they'll have confirmation of that soon enough. If Vegapunk or the WG wants Momo to see why the DF worked on him, then how else would they go about getting to him?

Edit: I hope the only thing we get from the journal is where the last one is or might be. Anything more than that and it risks undermining Robin's primary purpose.
    Oden shouldn't even know where the last Road Poneglyph is presently. It was on Fishman Island when he was with Roger, but has been moved sometime in the past 25 years after Oden returned. But yes, I do agree that the notebook should not be used to provide any 'spoilers'.

But I also think Oden was wise enough to know that the things recorded on Laugh Tale were left there for a reason. That information has been closely guarded for centuries and he wouldn't leave a copy lying around in plain text.

What's worth noting is that there is some general knowledge about 'Joyboy' in the world. Neptune and Kaido are both familiar with the name despite not being able to read the Poneglyphs and there are some general prophecies about the New Dawn. I think the notebook may be used to underscore the importance and urgency of the Straw Hats voyage. I think they're going to get a greater sense that finding the treasure is important for the entire world, not just for the fulfillment of their own dreams. We've seen them slowly progressing into actual heroes and understanding that the journey doesn't end on Laugh Tale I think may be present in the back of their mind before thy fight Blackbeard and discover One Piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    I can see the Marines being interested in Wano, I don’t see them literally invading it, I also don’t see how Yamato staying would change anything, and most of all when you open up your borders that means allowing the rest of the world in, including the Marines and the World Government, so why do they need to invade

But most of all my point is why does Yamato need to stay for that reason? I just need to know from a Yamato stand point why he needs to stay, that’s what I’m getting at

I agree he may not join, but one way or the other it seems this guy is totally set on leaving for an adventure, which is kind of what this story is about in the first place, people leaving there homes of comfort to go see the world, have fun and make there dreams come true
    I don't see them invading either. I do see them arriving and attempting to exert influence. Sakazuki says they don't have the manpower to do anything about Wano, but then Sengoku turns around and says "hey, all I'm saying is all these important pirates are somehow connected to Wano. Really makes you think huh? But hey, I'm not telling you what to do." The subtext is, 'you should find the resources to do something about Wano.

I don't know what it will entail, but I do suspect the Marines will be present for the final act of Wano.
    Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Jimbei, Carrot, Vivi, Smoker

"ONE PIECE, IT EXISTS" - The Great Pirate Edward Newgate

When one says a character is only there to tie the plot together then yes it is mutually exclusive from being a main character.
    A main character can still be added to tie in plot points, usually by being a deuteroganist or secondary/tertiary main character. In Robin's particular case, her being there to tie up certain plot points is exactly the role she plays in the story. No Robin, no Void Century plot explanation. So the description is completely valid here, since she is literally helping Luffy and being the one who will solve the mystery of the Poneglyphs'

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    A main character can still be added to tie in plot points, usually by being a deuteroganist or secondary/tertiary main character. In Robin's particular case, she is more of a Support character, and her being there to tie up certain plot points is exactly the reason and role she plays im the story. No Robin, no Void Century plot explanation. So the description is completely valid herr, since she is literally helping Luffy and being the one who will solve the mystery of the Poneglyphs'
    Robin's sole purpose isn't to tie plots together.
    Last.fm

Closed Thread

Thread Information