View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
368. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

189 51.36%
  • Shinobu

1 0.27%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc)

1 0.27%
  • Momo

9 2.45%
  • Tama

9 2.45%
  • Carrot

68 18.48%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

7 1.90%
  • Caribou

6 1.63%
  • Other

28 7.61%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

50 13.59%
Closed Thread
Page 475 of 506 FirstFirst ... 375 425 465 473 474 475 476 477 485 ... LastLast
Results 9,481 to 9,500 of 10112

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

So you're just going to completely ignore the canonical official strawhat vivi... AND make up two other datapoints on your own, in order to make up a nonsense pattern, based on a completely outside company's merchandising decision...

That's quite a reach there.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    Unless Oda does a complete misdirect and i am misinterpreting scenes, Bonney also has a relation to either WB and or Ace, which was part of why i felt her chances are not bad in the first place.

Now Ace is used for Yamato...
    I don't believe Bonney ever had a connection to Whitebeard and/or Ace. Prior to Bonney's connection to Kuma being revealed, it was a suspicion that held merit but after what we now know, what made Bonney cry in Sabaody Archipelago wasn't what was happening with Ace or the Whitebeard Pirates but what she seen became of Kuma. The presence of the Pacifistas on Sabaody Archipelago and the footage of Kuma during the Battle of Marineford allowed Bonney to deduce what had happened and upon such a conclusion, she realised she would never see "Kuma" again.

Spoiler:

The relevance of Kuma also comes into play again when Bonney makes the comment about 'everything being his fault' and how they have to find him which entailed going to the New World. The person she was targeting wasn't Blackbeard but in all likelihood, Dr. Vegapunk. Bonney blames Vegapunk for what happened to Kuma. From my interpretation, Bonney was caught because it was Blackbeard who was targeting her and not because she was after Teach. The reason Blackbeard captured her is because he was aware of her value to the Marines and wished to leverage that to bargain for a battleship to upgrade his poor excuse for a New World worthy ship - the log raft. Sakazuki didn't play ball and flexed his gambler side. Sakazuki's comment to Bonney about her escape from the Government causing chills to run down his spine suggest an importance Bonney plays in respect to something relevant to the Marines/World Government. If Blackbeard didn't target Bonney, I don't believe Bonney would have been captured at that time.

Spoiler:

As for what importance Bonney could play to the Marines, I find myself entertaining the thought that Bonney isn't directly important to the Marines/World Government by herself but rather her presence in the Marines serves as a valuable representation of the power the Marines hold over another item of value within their ranks i.e Vegapunk. I believe Bonney's containment by the Marines initially served as influence for Vegapunk to continue committing himself and his brilliance to the efforts of the Marines and World Government. To Vegapunk, Bonney could be somewhat of a daughter that he deeply cares for. Upon the dissolution of MADS and his capture, Bonney may have also been taken at that time. Bonney likely wasn't mistreated by the Marines but her freedom to do what she wants was stripped from her.

Fast forward to Kuma joining the Shichibukai (undercover as a Revolutionary Army member?), he may have come to find out about the truth surrounding Bonney and Vegapunk during his investigations into the Marines weapons research. In order to ascertain the finer details, Kuma may have gotten close to Bonney and developed a kinship with her. Bonney in turn could have become inspired by Kuma's stories of freedom and the romance of the sea (which led ). As their relationship grew, Kuma may have chosen to sacrifice his undercover operation in favour of helping Bonney. As such he could have helped in Bonney's initial escape from the Marines and ultimately used research into him as payment for his actions. At this point, I don't believe Bonney and Kuma are connected through the Sorbet Kingdom. Bonney is aware that the Sorbet Kingdom was the nation Kuma once ruled but she is likely not a citizen of it.

Spoiler:

By the time Bonney escaped, Vegapunk likely became aware of how all-encompassing the reach of the World Government was and knew that even with Bonney free, he could not protect her from their darkness unless he continued working for the Marines. Sakazuki still wished for Bonney's return because a piece he can control is easier to dictate than one outside his reach.

I suspect when Vegapunk learns the truth about Kuma and what he did for Bonney, the tragic irony of his actions would wash over him and bring him to a realisation. The person he killed through his science was ultimately the one attempting to save him (through saving Bonney). The realisation of Kuma's sacrifice will be what inspires Vegapunk to turn against the Marines. Even in death, Kuma will serve as an ally to the Straw Hat Pirates through his actions.
    Last edited by Syphin; September 18th, 2021 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    It seems Bonney was actually crying for Kuma in Marineford, as the Reverie events would later show a connection between them, maybe blood relation.

------------------

Well, since Bonney is the subject here now, here's something to think about. It carries very little weight, as it's merchandise an we have no clue if Oda had any input in the order, of characters for twelve months there was a promotion from a japanese wedding company that designed wedding dresses for several One Piece characters, one per month, in this order:

- Nami
    - Vivi
    - Perona
    - Robin
    - Shirahoshi
    - Hiyori
    - Hancock
    - Carrot
    - Tashigi
    - Bonney
    - Pudding
    - Big Mom (Yeah, Big Mom was the big surprise last character, lol).

I don't think it means anything, but Nami and Robin were separated by two other characters, making each of them the first of a trimester. And Hancock and Bonney were the ones to follow that trend.
    Which would be an intended misdirection, or the least clumsy. The entire context was Whitebeard being accused of selling out his allies, every Supernova was reacting to Whitebeard supposedly selling them out and the feet getting cut off. Same for Bonney stating "it´s all his fault, i will hunt him down/find him in the New World", and next time we see her she has been beaten by Blackbeard.
    Hence my earlier statement "unless Oda purposely misdirected things", which is possible of course.
    Or he never imagined people making the obvious connection, and since he knew that Bonney was intended to be connected to Kuma, he might never have realized how it looked.

Quote Originally Posted by Syphin View Post
    I don't believe Bonney ever had a connection to Whitebeard and/or Ace. Prior to Bonney's connection to Kuma being revealed, it was a suspicion that held merit but after what we now know, what made Bonney cry in Sabaody Archipelago wasn't what was happening with Ace or the Whitebeard Pirates but what she seen became of Kuma. The presence of the Pacifistas on Sabaody Archipelago and the footage of Kuma during the Battle of Marineford allowed Bonney to deduce what had happened and upon such a conclusion, she realised she would never see "Kuma" again.

The relevance of Kuma also comes into play again when Bonney makes the comment about 'everything being his fault' and how they have to find him which entailed going to the New World. The person she was targeting wasn't Blackbeard but in all likelihood, Dr. Vegapunk. Bonney blames Vegapunk for what happened to Kuma. From my interpretation, Bonney was caught because it was Blackbeard who was targeting her and not because she was after Teach. The reason Blackbeard captured her is because he was aware of her value to the Marines and wished to leverage that to bargain for a battleship to upgrade his poor excuse for a New World worthy ship - the log raft. Sakazuki didn't play ball and flexed his gambler side. Sakazuki's comment to Bonney about her escape from the Government causing chills to run down his spine suggest an importance Bonney plays in respect to something relevant to the Marines/World Government. If Blackbeard didn't target Bonney, I don't believe Bonney would have been captured at that time.

As for what importance Bonney could play to the Marines, I find myself entertaining the thought that Bonney isn't directly important to the Marines/World Government by herself but rather her presence in the Marines serves as a valuable representation of the power the Marines hold over another item of value within their ranks i.e Vegapunk. I believe Bonney's containment by the Marines initially served as influence for Vegapunk to continue committing himself and his brilliance to the efforts of the Marines and World Government. To Vegapunk, Bonney could be somewhat of a daughter that he deeply cares for. Upon the dissolution of MADS and his capture, Bonney may have also been taken at that time. Bonney likely wasn't mistreated by the Marines but her freedom to do what she wants was stripped from her.

Fast forward to Kuma joining the Shichibukai (undercover as a Revolutionary Army member?), he may have come to find out about the truth surrounding Bonney and Vegapunk during his investigations into the Marines weapons research. In order to ascertain the finer details, Kuma may have gotten close to Bonney and developed a kinship with her. Bonney in turn could have become inspired by Kuma's stories of freedom and the romance of the sea (which led ). As their relationship grew, Kuma may have chosen to sacrifice his undercover operation in favour of helping Bonney. As such he could have helped in Bonney's initial escape from the Marines and ultimately used research into him as payment for his actions. At this point, I don't believe Bonney and Kuma are connected through the Sorbet Kingdom. Bonney is aware that the Sorbet Kingdom was the nation Kuma once ruled but she is likely not a citizen of it.

By the time Bonney escaped, Vegapunk likely became aware of how all-encompassing the reach of the World Government was and knew that even with Bonney free, he could not protect her from their darkness unless he continued working for the Marines. Sakazuki still wished for Bonney's return because a piece he can control is easier to dictate than one outside his reach.

I suspect when Vegapunk learns the truth about Kuma and what he did for Bonney, the tragic irony of his actions would wash over him and bring him to a realisation. The person he killed through his science was ultimately the one attempting to save him (through saving Bonney). The realisation of Kuma's sacrifice will be what inspires Vegapunk to turn against the Marines. Even in death, Kuma will serve as an ally to the Straw Hat Pirates through his actions.
    See above.

I'm leaning towards Bonney holding a grudge against Blackbeard, even if there was no explicit, overt indication of such through their dialogue. Being angry over Whitebeard/Ace and Kuma need not be mutually exclusive. For all we know, she might've either already been aware of had happened to Kuma or only found out later. I kinda doubt Doffy's lil revelation about Kuma's status would've been caught on slugtape during all the chaos of Marineford, and Kuma's status as a Shichibukai was already established well in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    Holding someone hostage means you'd want something in return for letting them go.

The world gov. could've simply imprisoned her like they did Kaido and then she escaped.

The why may be any reason. She has valuable info or found out something she wasn't suppose to, experiment on her DF, etc.
    Alright, we agree to disagree then.

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

As far as Bonney knowing about Kuma im pretty sure she knew back when a bunch of Kuma lookalikes descended on Saboady and all the supernovas had to run away.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    So you're just going to completely ignore the canonical official strawhat vivi... AND make up two other datapoints on your own, in order to make up a nonsense pattern, based on a completely outside company's merchandising decision...

I'm not even sure what its suppose to mean lol
    Last edited by Zik; September 18th, 2021 at 10:42 AM.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

As far as Bonney knowing about Kuma im pretty sure she knew back when a bunch of Kuma lookalikes descended on Saboady and all the supernovas had to run away.

I'm not even sure what its suppose to mean lol
    Interestingly, her and Bege were the only two supernovas not seen interacting with a Pacifista, with that combined with Bonney reacting to Kuma as a slave at Mariejois could imply that any reaction was purposefully not shown for her specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post

Is that aimed at me?

Look I said myself I don't think it means anything, but I left it here since people like to speculate, and Bonney was in the discussion. I don't even think Bonney is joining or anything like that, I just like to consider all angles.

As for Vivi, she may have a "special nakama" status but she's not a main character. Her position there does not break any would-be crewmate pattern, if such thing exists in the first place.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

The contemplation of possibility is indeed enthralling. I like speculation. Honestly, even if I disagree with a potential path, I don't deny the reflection of the imagery it wishes to paint. Whether it be for Bonney, Vivi, Tama, Hancock, Carrot, Caribou, Law, Crocodile, Yamato, a giant with the desire to explore and discover the potential of science, an alien looking for the history of their ancestors journey to a certain planet, a Tenryuubito attempting to change the world, a child of a MADS scientist seeking to follow in the footsteps of their parent or the mystery behind a certain bespectacled ice-themed yokai. I welcome all theories concerning all avenues, especially if it entails the far latter one, such would warm my heart. The existence of different angles not only inspires my perspective but allows me to view the story of One Piece in a much broader frame.

With that said, lets delve into the realm of possibility once again. This time, it deals with Yamato and their continued relevance as a Straw Hat nakama. At present, Luffy has no reason to destroy Fish-Man Island but I entertain that the precursor to such an act may very well be induced by the knowledge and context Yamato provides once sailing aboard the Thousand Sunny.

When the Straw Hat Pirates visit Fish-Man Island again, I suspect the Island’s deeper relevance to the Void Century will be covered as the story threads of Poseidon, the “Ship of Promise” Noah, Wano and Luffy are weaved together. Obviously when that time comes, the Straw Hat Pirates are going to need someone who is both aware of Joy Boy and familiar with the Mythical Zoan Dragon Devil Fruit. Thankfully, Oda has crafted a character that fills such a purpose in the Wano arc i.e. Yamato.

By nature of Joy Boy being intimately connected to Fish-Man Island, it can be extrapolated that at one point Fish-Man Island were close with the Ancient Civilisation and supportive of their intentions. The fact that Fish-Man Island housed several Poneglyphs including a Road Poneglyph before it was relocated (by Shanks?) speaks to level of connection between the two races and their role in the path toward the “Dawn”.

As mentioned above, the real and artificial Mythical Zoan Dragon Devil Fruits Kaido and Momonosuke respectively possess will hold relevance when the story of Fish-Man Island is brought into focus again. Considering the reverence attached to the imagery of a Dragon which the Ryugu Palace was themed around, it implies an affinity between the statue and the Devil Fruit form. Aside from the size, colour, mane and Kaido’s horns, the appearance of the Dragon forms between the three match completely. With such similitude, designs intentional by Oda, there certainly exist a connection between the Ryugu Palace Dragon statue and the Uo Uo no Mi, Model: Seiryu. And such a relation I believe WILL eventually be explored.

Spoiler:

As for the reason why Fish-Man Island attaches such veneration to the imagery of the Dragon, I suspect it may have to do with the role the Dragon played in their past. It may be possible that before Devil Fruit’s became a thing, Joy Boy possessed the ability to transform into a Dragon (a type of Fish that was able to swim in the ocean) which was eventually inherited by a Fruit – the first Devil Fruit? Or Joy Boy could have associated himself with the creature that is now represented by the theme of the Ryugu Palace. Joy Boy was likely able to converse with life forms (similar to Momonosuke/Oden/Roger/Luffy/Shirahoshi) and through such an ability bonded with the [Fish] Dragon. That connection may be what is being mirrored currently in Luffy and Momonosuke’s (Dragon form) battle against Kaido.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if by some twist of fate, the story also connects the Kozuki Clan with Fish-Man Island – the Kozuki stonemason being the ones to craft the [Fish] Dragon statue. The presence of Poneglyphs being on Fish-Man Island evidences the suspicion that the Kozuki Clan at one point was hosted by Fish-Man Island. Joy Boy may very well be a member of the Kozuki Clan. When the story is ready to delve into such details, having someone (Yamato) connected to the Mythical Zoan Dragon Devil Fruit (Kaido) and Wano will assist tremendously.

Spoiler:

Yamato isn’t just a character to serve as exposition but rather a character intentionally created by Oda to assist in moving the story of Joy Boy and the Ancient Civilisation forward when such a plot so far has been largely isolated from the Straw Hat Pirates adventure. With Oda’s sights set on the conclusion of One Piece, it is about time the Straw Hat Pirates align their path with that of Joy Boy’s and Yamato, as a nakama to Luffy, will assist in achieving such an end.

I don’t mind speculation, though I think it would also be appreciated if people talked about characters joining in context to how the joining benefits the story, as opposed to constantly just talking about wanting characters to join simply for being a fan favorite. It can be good to broaden the basis for discussion points beyond just one after all.

Quote Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post
    I don’t mind speculation, though I think it would also be appreciated if people talked about characters joining in context to how the joining benefits the story, as opposed to constantly just talking about wanting characters to join simply for being a fan favorite. It can be good to broaden the basis for discussion points beyond just one after all.
    Not all arguments/reasoning will be sound, but people sometimes can offer you perspectives you didn't consider before. Even if you don't agree with them, it's nice to see new points of view.

Besides, some characters may not make sense now, but they can offer totally new perspectives when they do get the spotlight.
    Last edited by Deicide; September 18th, 2021 at 08:12 PM.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

Anybody still thinking Yamato is a plot device used to solely tie loose threads together or just there for exposition are not paying attention to the story.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Anybody still thinking Yamato is a plot device used to solely tie loose threads together or just there for exposition are not paying attention to the story.
    And can't the same be said about Robin because of the Void Century details? lol

Quote Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post
    And can't the same be said about Robin because of the Void Century details? lol
    Anybody who thinks that of Robin probably hasn't grasped that she is one of the main characters in the story.

Besides it is specifically Robin's dream to find out why her home, family, and friends had to be wiped out cuz of that knowledge.
    Last.fm

Well here's a place I thought I'd never come back to, but I just couldn't help myself. Yamato's odds for joining are such a fascinating subject, and you people are, admittedly, the smartest I know in any One Piece related matters. So I tought I'd give my two cents and see if any of you had something to say.

Frankly speaking... I really have no idea on what Oda's planning for Yamato. On the surface she seems like a solid candidate for crew. She's expressed her interest in joining more than once (and setting out to sea in general), she's gotten a lot of focus, she's shown great chemistry with Luffy...

But there's some pretty big issues about the idea of her joining as well, and I'm having a hard time to think a writer of Oda's caliber would have let so many to pile up. I can divide my concerns into four main issues. The first two are about something Yamato lacks, and while she could in theory acquire them later, I can't help thinking Oda could've easily given them already. The other two are about character aspects she already has, which feel rather contradictory for a crewmate candidate, and they can't really be rid of either:

1. She doesn't have a role for the crew. So far Yamato has shown no skills that would make her irreplaceable for the crew. She has only shown to be good with fighting. Now, a lot of people have said that she could be simply a fighter, but I doubt that. Every other Straw Hat can already hold their own in battle. Also, they're all specialists whose main job no one in the crew can do better. Luffy is always going to be the best fighter, so Yamato couldn't be one. And while there are some fighting oriented roles in the crew with Zoro and Usopp, they're also both specialized, in blades and long-range respectively. I have yet to hear about a maceman or ice-breather's positions.
    Another popular theory I've heard is that she could be a logbook keeper, but I doubt that as well. It would be rather silly to start a logbook at this point of the journey, and Luffy probably wouldn't be interested in that anyway. Plus it wouldn't be a very useful role they absolutely need to fullfill. The only crewmate who can be considered a luxury is Brook, and even then a musician is something Luffy wanted for a long time, something he considers integral for his vision about pirate life.
    Apparently there has been some talk about her becoming an advisor with Oden's logbook, and franky speaking that's just bogus! This is Luffy we're talking about. For anyone needing a reminder, he straight up said he'd quit piracy if Rayleigh revealed him the truth about One Piece, because "he doesn't want a boring adventure". He'd never want that kind of advice. Keep this point in mind, it will be important later on.

2. She hasn't had much interaction with the crew. While she did bond with Luffy a little at first, and as I said their interactions were fun, their time together was fairly limited. Only 7 chapters, and after that a brief talk with Franky. That was about it before the latest chapter If she is to join, why wouldn't Oda give her chances for little more interactions with SHs, to make her eventual inclusion feel natural? And if he's planning that for later, just how much longer is this arc going to be? She does have a chance to interact with Luffy more now, of course, but that still leaves the other Straw Hats out of the loop. One might argue they'll also join to take out Kaidou (which I doubt since Luffy has been taken enough credit of defeating him as is), but even then there's only so much bonding you can do with nine people in the heat of battle.

3. Traveling to Laugh Tale might be counterproductive for her supposed future character development. Now, I think it's safe to assume that Yamato will sooner or later discard the Oden act and become her own person. But that kind of begs the question: If she gets rid of "Oden's shadow" only to go on a journey with the same destination as Oden did, then would it really feel like she developed? Now, one could argue that staying to protect Wano (or maybe Momonosuke) and setting out to sea without clear destination would also be "Living in Oden's shadow", since Oden did all of those things at some point of his life. And that's fair. But journeying to Laugh Tale was neverthless Oden's "Magnum Opus" more or less, and likely the climax of his logbook. So I can't help but think that it would be just about the most "Oden" thing Yamato could do. Surely Oda could see the irony.
    Then again, maybe Oda just doesn't mind. The inherited will is one of the central themes in One Piece, even if Yamato has taken it to borderline mental levels, so maybe he's fine with letting her continue on the path of Oden. Maybe she doesn't even give up on the Oden thing.

4. (And this is something we actually learned even before her sex. One page before in fact.) She knows too much about the big mysteries. It has been hinted a few times that Oden's logbook contains a lot of important information about things like Laugh Tale, Will of the D, just about every big question about the series. Not to mention the islands ahead, tough SHs could just take another path. Neverthless, it would eventually lead to Laugh Tale and quite possibly Lodestarr. The thing is, I'm having a really, really hard time believing Oda would let one of the Straw Hats have this much knowledge of the endgame. As I mentioned earlier, Luffy would never want that kind of info. There might be some exposition once this battle is over, but obviously we ain't gonna know everything.
    Now one might say that Yamato isn't obliged to share her info with the Straw Hats, and true, she isn't. But even if Luffy and other Straw Hats wouldn't privy on the details, I think having even one crewmember know answers to these big mysteries would severely undermine the theme of adventure this series is built on. Luffy's refusal to hear about One Piece isn't just his personal conviction. It is a declaration of that theme! These mysteries have been tickling the back of our minds for nearly two decades now, and we've followed the crew all this time on their path to the last island, where answers are finally given. Aren't they supposed to find these answers the same time we do, so we can relate to their feelings at that very moment? Wouldn't even one crewmember knowing them already just distill that feeling?
    I've also heard some people saying that Oden might not have even written that much about the mysteries. And while we don't indeed know yet how much he wrote, I'm still pretty sure what was written is quite juicy, based on how Yamato and Momo talk about it. Yamato has mentioned "important things" and "D" already, and Momo has realized something even bigger than Wano's fate about Kozuki's legacy. And no matter how little Oden might have ultimately written, we already know he already wrote about something Luffy would never want to know beforehand:
    One Piece is something hilarious!
    Now, this might seem like a small thing, but it's still a description, however vague, about the nature of the very mystery, the dream, or romance if you will, that this series is named after. This is the main quest for Luffy's journey, a mythical treasure on a mysterious island no one except Roger's crew has visited in centuries. As I've already said, even one Straw Hat having this kind of insider info about One Piece... Well, I have a hard time believing Oda would be okay with that!
    Now one thing that might complicate the previous point is Whitebeard's declaration of One Piece being real. I doubt Luffy still knows this, as he's not exactly well-informed. But the other Straw Hats quite possibly do due to reading the news about the war. So, admittedly SHs might be on unequal grounds on what they know as is.
    Still, for what it's worth, WBs reaffirmation about the treasure's existence did make it general knowledge. Whereas it being lulzy, and any other secrets Oden wrote, are still exclusive insider leaks. So take what you will about it.

Anyway, those are my main issues. I do have some smaller ones like her namiface, her design overall not being what I'd necessarily assume Oda worked a long time with, lack of foreshadowing + appearing pretty late in this arc (since Onigashima bit is still apparently part of Wano), her past being played in smaller bits instead as one big emotially charged flashback...

Now, with this thread having so long I'm sure at least some of these points have been discussed already. And perhaps you have already come up with answers I can find satisfactory, thought up angles I hadn't. I'm definitely curious to hear if you have anything to say.

Again, I wish to emphasize that I'm not denying Yamato joining! I'm just not sure at all about it! The focus she's gotten vs the qualifications I've mentioned, man, getting some really mixed signals. But maybe you folks or Oda will adress these issues later on, even the ones I doubted could be adressed.

Her base design is so awesome. Sadly don't like her hybrid design.

And in color she screams future SH even more. Can't wait to have her on the crew

I was watching the latest anime episode when one of Yamato's phrases struck me in a very different way compared to when the chapter came out.

It was the moment Yamato called his admiration for Oden, "the greatest of the samurai".

Back then, it was nothing. The sole interpretation was that "Oden was great and inspired me".

But lately we've seen more and more about Yamato's relationship to Wano and the samurai. With all that transpired in the manga since, we now know that Yamato dressed in traditional Wano clothes even before Oden's execution, that he had a great admiration for samurai, that he asked those in the cave if she could be a samurai someday, that Kaido taunts he will never be accepted by the samurai.

Take from that as you will.

I'm willing to bet Yamato wouldn't be the first or last oni to want to live the samurai life...or die like one.

Question is, will we the reverse: a samurai/human striving to become or be recognized as an oni? I wouldn't be surprised if such a character exists or once did in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Bro View Post

1. She doesn't have a role for the crew.

2. She hasn't had much interaction with the crew.

3. Traveling to Laugh Tale might be counterproductive for her supposed future character development.

4. She knows too much about the big mysteries.

1. Perhaps something along the liens of bodyguard that could back up or escort, after things like Sanji saying that Luffy needed to conserve his energy and the idea of Yamato taking on a guardian sort of role.

2. Well, neither did Robin, but I think that changed up rather quickly.

3. Assuming she keeps being keen on bringing the dawn to the rest of the world, maybe ti could help her out.

4. Like Rayleigh was saying, although they deciphered the info, none of the Roger Pirates were scholarly enough to comprehend everything, so I wouldn't be surprised any big info he wrote down was misinterpreted since Oden wasn't a scholar even though he could read and write poneglyph language.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Bro View Post

1. She doesn't have a role for the crew.
    Easily fixable.

We didn't even know the strawhats would need someone who could read the language written on poneglyphs before Robin showed up.

Luffy asked Chopper to join before he even knew he was a doctor and did the same before he knew Brook was a musician.
    2. She hasn't had much interaction with the crew.

Feel that's okay too and not an issue.

Sanji basically ignored Zoro and Usopp, treated Nami like every other pretty woman and that was only one chapter. The rest of the arc was Luffy pestering him to join his crew. Like Yamato, Sanji spent the bulk of that arc being won over by Luffy. Now it may be the reverse and Yamato will win Luffy over which he has already begun to do.

Same thing with Robin, minimal interaction with anyone not named Luffy.

Also Franky spent most of his time with Usopp who wasn't even part of the crew at that point. Spent a little time with Sanji on the train before being recaptured.

Oda seems to be going about this a slightly different way given how Yamato interacted with Franky briefly and the other strawhats like Jimbe wondering who is dealing with Kaido with Luffy not around.

Besides all that, I'm not even sure crew interaction before joining matters that much. Putting Robin and Franky aside, the other strawhats were introduced earlier on in the arc where interaction was much easier to occur. Yamato showed up as the raid started. Closer to the climax of the arc compared to the rest of the crew. So Oda spent that time focusing on Yamato and fleshing the character out.
    3. Traveling to Laugh Tale might be counterproductive for her supposed future character development.

I don't think it's safe to assume Yamato will drop anything. This whole living in Oden's shadow seems to be a purely fan created story angle that Oda does not seem to be pursuing at all. There aren't any hints that Yamato's Oden worship is a negative or needs to stop. It is also not presented that Yamato putting what Oden would do ahead of his own desires. If anything given the parallel of both their lives (being stuck on Wano and wanting to leave) that he finds some solace in that he can identify so much with what Oden went through before he got to leave.

So if Yamato ends up doing similar things Oden did after he left I don't think its a set back to his character development. Besides the strawhats are going to go on and do things the Roger pirates and Oden did not end up doing.
    4. (And this is something we actually learned even before her sex. One page before in fact.) She knows too much about the big mysteries.
    To me, you can not say Yamato knows too much when you don't even know what he knows by having read Oden's journal.

So far what we've been clued in to is Yamato knows what Roger's dream/wish was that he told Oden and Whitebeard which happens to be the same as Luffy's told to him by Ace.

I kinda doubt for 20 years Yamato has held all the answers to what is One Piece, how to get to Laugh tale, and what happened during the Void century all along.

Also I gotta ask do you really think the strawhats will be leaving Wano without being clued in to some of the things in Oden's journal now that Momo has it? That Robin won't inquire at all?
    Last edited by Zik; September 19th, 2021 at 04:20 PM.
    Last.fm

Closed Thread

Thread Information