View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
368. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

189 51.36%
  • Shinobu

1 0.27%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc)

1 0.27%
  • Momo

9 2.45%
  • Tama

9 2.45%
  • Carrot

68 18.48%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

7 1.90%
  • Caribou

6 1.63%
  • Other

28 7.61%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

50 13.59%
Closed Thread
Page 474 of 506 FirstFirst ... 374 424 464 472 473 474 475 476 484 ... LastLast
Results 9,461 to 9,480 of 10112

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    I always thought her setup could lead to being a potential nakama, now with Yamato that seems unlikely to impossible.
    Yeah, pre-Dressrosa I was thinking something like that would naturally fit to add to Luffy's reputation.

Get a former warlord to be your ally and then get another super rookie to join your crew. Those come off as big accomplishments given how the warlords and supernova were introduced and positioned; the former being above Luffy until he started beating them and the latter being his peers.

Son of a yonkou would fall in line with that as well as another big achievement if Katakuri is anything to go by (since there's no way he'd get an actual emperor to join his crew).
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

I'm anticipating a lot from the Zoro vs King fight. Maybe a little too much. It might have implications for what Yamato's role will be in the crew.

If at any point King challenges Zoro's unofficial status as Luffy's right hand man, I think we'll finally see Zoro embrace being Vice Captain or First Mate as his official role in the crew. There was more than just a mere lineage reveal when we found out Sanji was a Vinsmoke. We learn of his family's infamy, yes, and has access to advanced technology, which has become an asset now, we also learn he's royalty whose latent mutant genes may be finally awakening.

Even if Zoro's relation to the Shimotsuki is never outright confirmed, I feel like his reputation is going to get a bump as well like Sanji being revealed to be from a Family of Royal mercs. Zoro has always had ties to Samurai since East Blue, with his village dojo, sensei and imagery, so at face value it doesn't seem like just finding out his clan lineage will be enough to warrant dubbing Wano the "Zoro arc" it's been touted as when compared to how Whole Cake was for Sanji's character. His past actively caught up to him, and he thought he could sacrifice his happiness to protect everyone but as it turns out just meeting Sanji's real family kinda changed the Vinsmokes.

Zoro's thing isn't so straight forward, we meet Zoro as a hungry combatant literally head hunting the strongest swordmasters the sea has to offer with one name in particular that was at the top of this list. How did this change after meeting Luffy, well for starters he met the peak pretty early on in their journey, fell before he could fly again, strangely enough thanks to encouragement from the very same person who defeated him, who he later puts his pride aside to ask him to be his Teacher. 'Unlike other crewmates, Oda has made it clear with Zoro, especially with his speech in post Water 7 about forgiving Ussop that he doesn't have to leave to the crew to settle inner conflicts or otherwise , he dealt with that the moment Mihawk gave him that first scar.

More so his thing seems to be slowly coming to terms with how he's now willing to circumvent his own dream to execute Luffy's without hesitation. We've already seen this countless times, most recently when he tanked the Yonko combo. So I feel like the only way to follow through on Zoro's development is to finally have him acknowledge his dedication to this Journey, not just Luffy's, or his own but everyone's as a collective. Not an outsider like Barto or Urouge, it has to be proclaimed by Zoro himself with pride.
    Last edited by Blowfish; September 16th, 2021 at 12:43 AM.

"The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terror"

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    Yeah, pre-Dressrosa I was thinking something like that would naturally fit to add to Luffy's reputation.

Get a former warlord to be your ally and then get another super rookie to join your crew. Those come off as big accomplishments given how the warlords and supernova were introduced and positioned; the former being above Luffy until he started beating them and the latter being his peers.

Son of a yonkou would fall in line with that as well as another big achievement if Katakuri is anything to go by (since there's no way he'd get an actual emperor to join his crew).
    Yeah, I wouldn’t doubt there has been consideration to “1-up” Jinbe’s recruitment, in going from recruiting a former warlord to recruiting an Emperor’s child that knows a lot about the Emperor’s moves in addition to holding a key element to getting closer to the new dawn.

That just adds to it as well.
    I was mostly going on by her possible relationship with WB/Ace, her animosity towards Blackbeard, her special status for the WG (similarly to Franky and Robin) and a few minor things.

That just adds to it as well.
    I was mostly going on by her possible relationship with WB/Ace, her animosity towards Blackbeard, her special status for the WG (similarly to Franky and Robin) and a few minor things.
    Yeah that's a part of it as well, there's a lot of mystery to the character and questions that need answering (her connection to Kuma and his to the strawhats). If I felt there'd be more characters joining the crew I'd be all for her joining.

Just not sure the strawhat 13 will be a thing as much as I use to. At best she'll be an ally like Law.

It is pretty criminal Bonney and Luffy haven't met yet. Just to see Sanji slaving away 24/7 making meals for these two gluttons.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Considering how Bonney's story threads are connected to some of the central plot points of One Piece, it make sense why her focus is being saved for later parts in the manga (same reason for why Urouge is being saved for an arc that can connect to the Sky Islands). I anticipate Bonney may be relevant in the story focusing around Sabo (he may have stopped Bonney killing someone - the attempted murder).

Also, Bonney seems to have the mind of a young adult, I don't expect her to secretly be a mature lady under the guise of a young rookie.

Quote Originally Posted by Syphin View Post
    Considering how Bonney's story threads are connected to some of the central plot points of One Piece, it make sense why her focus is being saved for later parts in the manga (same reason for why Urouge is being saved for an arc that can connect to the Sky Islands). I anticipate Bonney may be relevant in the story focusing around Sabo (he may have stopped Bonney killing someone - the attempted murder).

Also, Bonney seems to have the mind of a young adult, I don't expect her to secretly be a mature lady under the guise of a young rookie.
    Bonney is probably the most shrouded One Piece character with the most clearly laid out hints to her story and situation, in that she might have been an affiliate of royalty with Kuma in South Blue and that Kuma have may agreed to become a cyborg because she was held hostage by the government for her age-changing powers, but that Kuma had fully lost his free will by the time Bonney escaped and found out about his cyborg modifications.
    Last edited by electricmastro; September 16th, 2021 at 01:46 PM.

Is clear that Yamato is gonna be the new nakama, apart from him being a very unique character design wise, Oda made sure to give him a very distinctive quality story wise. He met Ace before. Ace and his impact in Luffy as a catalyst is a key point for the series. The biggest problem Oda has now, if he wants to make a new Nakama is how much connection will that person have with Luffy overrall on the series. No new nakama is really needed, but if it was, its needs to be someone that can in some form have a raport with the overall story of Luffy. And Oda has decided to elevate the story of Yamato around a key person in the life of Luffy. Yamato has been waiting for Luffy since the start of the series, that makes it for worth it as a character than any other one. Tama being a close second, but I think her role is more connected to the reformation of the smile users, than any new type of nakama.

HEROMAN... ATTACK!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benjaman View Post
    Is clear that Yamato is gonna be the new nakama, apart from him being a very unique character design wise, Oda made sure to give him a very distinctive quality story wise. He met Ace before. Ace and his impact in Luffy as a catalyst is a key point for the series. The biggest problem Oda has now, if he wants to make a new Nakama is how much connection will that person have with Luffy overrall on the series. No new nakama is really needed, but if it was, its needs to be someone that can in some form have a raport with the overall story of Luffy. And Oda has decided to elevate the story of Yamato around a key person in the life of Luffy. Yamato has been waiting for Luffy since the start of the series, that makes it for worth it as a character than any other one. Tama being a close second, but I think her role is more connected to the reformation of the smile users, than any new type of nakama.
    As mentioned, I get the feeling that the most convincing way Yamato will feel crucial to Luffy's story at this point is supporting him as the man who will bring the new dawn to the entire world beyond Wano, in time for Joy Boy's second coming, something Pedro was willing to die for. I'd imagine it would have something to do with going to Laugh Tale since Oden presumably wrote something about it in the journal after visiting there, and may be distinct from Robin's Void Century dream as well.
    Last edited by electricmastro; September 16th, 2021 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post
    Bonney is probably the most shrouded One Piece character with the most clearly laid out hints to her story and situation, in that she might have been an affiliate of royalty with Kuma in South Blue and that Kuma have may agreed to become a cyborg because she was held hostage by the government for her age-changing powers, but that Kuma had fully lost his free will by the time Bonney escaped and found out about his cyborg modifications.
    That's a bit of stretch given none of those details are known or specifically hinted or laid out for us.

We know Bonney and Kuma are connected but not how.

We don't know when or why Kuma became a warlord. We don't know when Bonney became a devil fruit user.

Nothing says she was ever held hostage. It's actually said that she escaped the world government which is why Akainu said he would capture her again.

Given Bonney's age (if it's accurate) and Kuma being a tyrant of a kingdom first and then a pirate. Its possible he became a warlord and then a cyborg for the WG while she was a child or before she was born.
    Last.fm

Nothing says she was ever held hostage. It's actually said that she escaped the world government which is why Akainu said he would capture her again.
    I mean, what else would the government do with her? Akainu's said his blood froze after finding out Bonney escaped, and that was after he non-hesitantly went after one of Whitebeard's sons and faced his wrath.

Quote Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post
    I mean, what else would the government do with her? Akainu's said his blood froze after finding out Bonney escaped, and that was after he non-hesitantly went after one of Whitebeard's sons and faced his wrath.
    Holding someone hostage means you'd want something in return for letting them go.

The world gov. could've simply imprisoned her like they did Kaido and then she escaped.

The why may be any reason. She has valuable info or found out something she wasn't suppose to, experiment on her DF, etc.
    Last edited by Zik; September 17th, 2021 at 03:51 PM.
    Last.fm

Quite remarkable how the Oni race isn't covered within the Grand Fleet or the Mink-Ninja-Samurai alliance.

Seems like something that'll be explored further like Joy Boy, the Lunarian or the Shimotsukis, there will most likely be a good reason why destiny is joining together all these rare Pokémon in one crew.

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    Quite remarkable how the Oni race isn't covered within the Grand Fleet or the Mink-Ninja-Samurai alliance.

Seems like something that'll be explored further like Joy Boy, the Lunarian or the Shimotsukis, there will most likely be a good reason why destiny is joining together all these rare Pokémon in one crew.
    They might be just as rare as the Lunarians.

Before recent chapters, we have heard nothing about either the whole story (Nika as well).
    Last.fm

I’m glad I’m not the only one who think Bonney is going to be super important to the plot moving forward

If it weren’t for Yamato I’d think she would have a strong case for joining the crew

If Yamato doesn’t join I think her chances will go up considerably

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    I’m glad I’m not the only one who think Bonney is going to be super important to the plot moving forward

If it weren’t for Yamato I’d think she would have a strong case for joining the crew

If Yamato doesn’t join I think her chances will go up considerably
    I would agree even if Yamato joins but Bonney would have to immediately show up in the next arc and get a lot of focus.

I'm ready to see Sanji be overworked trying to feed her and Luffy.
    Last.fm

Bonney does have a curious story especially with her connection to Kuma (the savior of the Straw Hat Pirates) but from my perspective, I find her Devil Fruit power precludes her from being a potential Straw Hat Pirate. I understand the Devil Fruit hasn't been named yet and the borders of those abilities haven't been defined but basing my view on what has been shown so far, how would such a power escape the grasp of being broken and uninteresting? Such an ability reads to me to be more plot related than one constructed by Oda to fit within the power dynamics of a group of main characters.

How else would the manipulation of age be weaponized? In a similar manner to Shinobu? But wouldn't that be recycling capabilities? I feel if Oda intended to focus on Bonney as a future Straw Hat Pirate in a later arc, he wouldn't have highlighted Shinobu so heavily in the current arc who possess an ability that overlaps drastically with Bonney's - manipulation/ripening of age (in both objects and people).

Quote Originally Posted by Syphin View Post
    How else would the manipulation of age be weaponized? In a similar manner to Shinobu? But wouldn't that be recycling capabilities? I feel if Oda intended to focus on Bonney as a future Straw Hat Pirate in a later arc, he wouldn't have highlighted Shinobu so heavily in the current arc who possess an ability that overlaps drastically with Bonney's - manipulation/ripening of age (in both objects and people).
    Well, just for the sake of argument:

We've already been introduced to the idea that there's a certain hierarchy of sorts inherent in the devil fruits, and have been given examples of overlapping abilities that fall within such a power structure, e.g. the kilo kilo (? ) and ton ton fruit. So I don't think any issues of perceived redundancy in the grand scheme of things would factor into it one way or the other.

In terms of any combat-oriented usage of her power and adding interesting new layers to prevent it form being too one-dimensional, as you said, there's a chance she can do everything Shinobu can. Looking at it another way, one could speculate Shinobu's ability and focus might be a preview of what's to come if the intent is for Bonney to join up. Setting Shinobu aside, who knows, maybe Bonney can also use her powers in the same manner as that one girl Ainu ( sp?) -- Zephr's subordinate.

Speaking of, sure would muddy the waters even more so far as the idea of time being unable to turned back if someone other Bonney with the power to "cheat" this somewhat were to show up...but I digress.

Anyways, so far as Bonney's powers posing a potentially broken 1-hit-kill instant fight ender, I think we've already been presented several possible reasons why this need not be the case in the future.

- As demonstrated by Bullet, the simplest way of avoiding her power is dodging her touch. Put her up against a suitably speedy opponent and/or someone skilled in observation haki, and it becomes a challenge. Ditto if it's an opponent w/ ranged capabilities or some other ability that puts enough space between them and Bonney's hands.

On that note, segueing into the next on the list..

- With Ryou now cemented, the dangers of falling prey to touch-based abilities now becomes a less concerning prospect.

- This one's iffy, but if Oda wanted to, I suppose he could always portray Bonney's powers failing to affect some high tier opponent on the basis of their haki being too strong and all. Wouldn't be farfetched is what I'm saying, given what we saw with Law. Some might call it an asspull, others would disagree...but the precedent has been set, or at at the very least there's enough evidence to support an argument in favor.

Unless Oda does a complete misdirect and i am misinterpreting scenes, Bonney also has a relation to either WB and or Ace, which was part of why i felt her chances are not bad in the first place.

Now Ace is used for Yamato...

Unless Oda does a complete misdirect and i am misinterpreting scenes, Bonney also has a relation to either WB and or Ace, which was part of why i felt her chances are not bad in the first place.

Now Ace is used for Yamato...
    It seems Bonney was actually crying for Kuma in Marineford, as the Reverie events would later show a connection between them, maybe blood relation.

------------------

Well, since Bonney is the subject here now, here's something to think about. It carries very little weight, as it's merchandise an we have no clue if Oda had any input in the order, of characters for twelve months there was a promotion from a japanese wedding company that designed wedding dresses for several One Piece characters, one per month, in this order:

- Nami
    - Vivi
    - Perona
    - Robin
    - Shirahoshi
    - Hiyori
    - Hancock
    - Carrot
    - Tashigi
    - Bonney
    - Pudding
    - Big Mom (Yeah, Big Mom was the big surprise last character, lol).

I don't think it means anything, but Nami and Robin were separated by two other characters, making each of them the first of a trimester. And Hancock and Bonney were the ones to follow that trend.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

Closed Thread

Thread Information