View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
359. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

181 50.42%
  • Shinobu

1 0.28%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc.)

1 0.28%
  • Momo

9 2.51%
  • Tama

9 2.51%
  • Carrot

68 18.94%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

7 1.95%
  • Caribou

6 1.67%
  • Other

28 7.80%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

49 13.65%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 473 of 475 FirstFirst ... 373 423 463 471 472 473 474 475 LastLast
Results 9,441 to 9,460 of 9488

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Considering the avenues science has taken to advance military might in One Piece, I wonder if Blackbeard will arrive at a solution that doesn't conclude in him attaining Haoshoku Haki but rather harnessing the power of science. There is just something wrong with Blackbeard having such a chosen ability. I feel, if Blackbeard was going to have Haoshoku Haki, he would have already uncovered it over the 38 years of life he lived before the start of the series - unless he is a late bloomer?

Science has become such a driving force in the New World that I now wonder if Oda will slot in a new character that fills such a role within the Straw Hat Pirates for the future. Chopper and Franky aren't scientist like Caesar, Vegapunk, Judge or Queen. Who knows, maybe one of the children of the MADS scientist that followed in the footsteps of their parent or an assistant of the MAD scientists will be introduced in the future/revealed. With the details of MADS yet to be delved into, such a possibility does hold potential. Or could we get a Giant who fancies science over the native beliefs of their tribe allowing them to develop a device that shrinks them to normal person size (so they fit through the doors of the Sunny).

I am quite excited to see how Oda handles the role of science going forward in the story of One Piece as that is a relevant power that has been to an extent equated to the abilities of Devil Fruit/Haki users.

Quote Originally Posted by Syphin View Post
    Considering the avenues science has taken to advance military might in One Piece, I wonder if Blackbeard will arrive at a solution that doesn't conclude in him attaining Haoshoku Haki. There is just something wrong with Blackbeard having such a chosen ability. I feel, if Blackbeard was going to have Haoshoku Haki, he would have already uncovered it over the 38 years of life he lived before the start of the series - unless he is a late bloomer?

Science has become such a driving force in the New World that I now wonder if Oda will slot in a new character that fills such a role within the Straw Hat Pirates for the future. Chopper and Franky aren't scientist like Caesar, Vegapunk, Judge or Queen. Who knows, maybe one of the children of the MADS scientist that followed in the footsteps of their parent or an assistant of the MAD scientists will be introduced in the future/revealed. With the details of MADS yet to be delved into, such a possibility does hold potential. Or could we get a Giant who fancies science over the native beliefs of their tribe allowing them to develop a device that shrinks them to normal person size (so they fit through the doors of the Sunny).

I am quite excited to see how Oda handles the role of science going forward in the story of One Piece as that is a relevant power that has been to an extent equated to the abilities of Devil Fruit/Haki users.
    I think Franky cover the Technology Role of the crew very well, as I dont' think there's needing for a 360° scientist like Vegapunk. And Teach having CoC would not amaze me as he clearly knew Haki back at Impel Down and that wouldn't be the first thing he hid the last twenty years. By the way Teach being a no-CoC user which want and almost achieve the top of the world would add a bit of tragedy to his personality.

By the way I do agree Science/Technology has being a recurrent pattern since Thriller Bark's end, with Water Seven's post-arc hinting to it along the New World itself. We basically had cyborgs for three arcs right away (Pacifista were just all over the place back then), and when we went into the New World the first thing we met was Punk Hazard, which yet have to unveil all of its secrets. Caesar's studies, SMILEs, gigantification, clonation, Germa's Modified Humans, the mysterious Marines' new force, the whole Queen. We are basically into some sort of High-Tech centripetal Vegapunk saga which go further and further as hidden lore and I cannot stop loving it. Hoping to meet the mad scientist himself soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by rayleigh92 View Post
    Carrot sneaked on the Sunny when they left Zou, not asking or requesting anyone. IF Carrot is going to join, I expect something like that, with the crew ready to leave Wano, all of them beginning to party for new nakama Yamato and then "wha-t?! Carrot is near Luffy

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Except we're seeing with Kaidou that the big boys get layers of super armor with their super haki, and yhou need yhour own super haki to break through it.

Blackbeard can turn off fruit defenses but he needs to be able to break past that super armor.

Ugh. Years ago I was excited to see how Luffy was going to deal with an enemy when his rubber defenses stopped working and the actual solution saddens me greatly.
    Well, as always, take what I'm going to say with a grain of salt, but...without going into the full details behind my rationale:

If things are headed where I think they think are, by Awakening his Darkness Fruit and/or employing the power of what I believe will be his third and final devil fruit ( Kami kami no mi Model: Shinigami/Enma, ie God of Death ), Blackbeard, King of Cheaters, is basically going to gain the ability to remotely seal devil fruit abilities in general. Bad news for Luffy, Chopper, and...Brooke.

But by EOS, I'm predicting Luffy won't need his df at all to stretch, at least by the final stage of their duel; elite Haki mastery will be shown to naturally replicate devil fruit abilities, more or less. We'll see this on full display when Shanks and Co. strut their stuff ( and particularly why I believe Kizaru was wary of Benn Beckmann ).

I'm fully expecting each and every Strawhat will be eventually revealed to possess CoC and/or mastering certain Haki-related skills to counter some overwhelmingly stacked odds posed by the BB Pirates, cuz I also foresee the latter packing a shit ton of unfair advantages, as is their modus operandi.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    "He knows how to fight Kaido" (and Kaido knows how to fight Yamato)
    That's fair, but kaido consistently goes out of wano to fight lots of people etc. Yamato only has the one person to really focus on (his dad).

"Kaido isn't serious" (despite saying so multiple times and Yams feeling the killing intent)
    There's a difference between being serious and wanting to murder someone. Just look at how Kaido actively talks about how to murder luffy when he's down, he walks over to kill zoro after his attack and dumping luffy into the goddam sea.
    Meanwhile with yamato he keep rambling on about how yamato will serve as a good heel soldier for his army, and how he's forever destined to be alone and dominate others with his power. Does that sound to you like he wants to turn yamato into a pulp?

"Kaido is tired" (this is my favorite )

"It's only 15 minutes (while everyone who isn't Luffy could endure one T-Bag, *at best*)
    I imagine fighting groups of capable people again and again without a break will do that for your stamina, regardless of how much stronger you are. That doesn't strike me as an unreasonable assumption. Or the fact that oda spent all this time drawing all the hits that he's been eating ever since the samurai jumped onto him.
    Unless you're implying that kaido is perfectly healthy as of now and we're going to see many more chapters of him taking hits before he finally kicks the bucket, when he intends to end the series soon?

And yea, multiple people did eat hits from kaido and BM (zoro, kidd, law, killer) and come out fine, go back and read the panels. It's not a yamato/luffy-exclusive thing and Oda can easily write it up for ease of panel flow and for dramatic stakes.

I understand the reflex to argue against anything that could threaten Yamato's chances, even something as insignificant as powerlevel. And it's true, at least the Zoro / Yams dynamic has to be addressed in some form (and it will if he joins, no question).

But I would rather hear how it will be addressed instead of shitting on Yamato's achievements.
    I don't think anyone here is downplaying it as if its a bad thing. Moreso pointing out the argument that yams holding back kaido = potentially too strong is not a valid argument given how it's been debunked by multiple people here.
    And yea, count me in as someone who doesn't give 2 shits about monster trio nonsense. It would be funny as hell to see zoro being kicked to number 3 on the musclemen pecking order, but alas oda probably wouldn't want to dump that much fuel into the bonfire.

Discovered Stowaway astagadragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    Would be cool if its zero.

Including BB.

Then they come with an alternative against all odds way to fight those users.
    It'd be cool if the SH are top dogs for a change, we will be wondering how absurd the enemies' powerset to troll SH.
    "The rain has ceased, and we have been graced by another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it." - Elidibus

SHs being top dogs results in Fishman Island: cheating villains that end up not feeling that threatening without some cheap tricks (like dropping a giant ship on people's heads).

It can be amusing for change, but near the end of series? Nope.

I mean, we may have some portions of arcs ahead in which the SHs can curbstomp everyone around, but that won't happen for a full arc. The SHs will be top dogs when they conquer the seas, not before that.

As for the Conqueror Haki thing, I don't think it's a problem for Yamato to have it (heck, I expect Hancock to join and she has it), what I find strange is for Yamato to go toe-to-toe against an emperor. I was expecting him to lose, and for Luffy to rescue him at the last moment. That would have made Yamato more fitting as Luffy's subordinate. Right now, there's a portrayal that feels more like equality.
    My Wano predictions: All Straw Hats will get fights in Wano, but not in Act 3; There will be 5 acts; The Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Yamato, Carrot and Tama will form their own crew; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5 to issue a challenge; We are going to Mary Geoise after Wano.

Discovered Stowaway astagadragon's Avatar

Tbh in Dressrosa the crew + Grand Fleet members also curbstomped Doffy's crews. No one is even threatening them, well maybe Pica, but he is also massacred by Zoro.

Doffy need Sugar's broken DF just to stall Luffy and co. After that? The crews are dancing around Doffy's.

Only Beast Pirates are threatening the crew but then again Jinbe and Franky barely broken their sweat...
    "The rain has ceased, and we have been graced by another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it." - Elidibus

Quote Originally Posted by astagadragon View Post
    Tbh in Dressrosa the crew + Grand Fleet members also curbstomped Doffy's crews. No one is even threatening them, well maybe Pica, but he is also massacred by Zoro.

Doffy need Sugar's broken DF just to stall Luffy and co. After that? The crews are dancing around Doffy's.

Only Beast Pirates are threatening the crew but then again Jinbe and Franky barely broken their sweat...
    I did feel Sasaki was a big threat to Franky. No one has ever caused serious damage to the shogun, but Sasaki managed to disable it completely, that wasn’t a small feat, and I doubt baseline Franky would have fared good without the mech suit.

Black Maria exhausted Robin, plus Beook was essential for Robin’s victory by disabling Maria’s weapon. A true 1v1 would be even harder for Robin.

Of the Beast Pirates fights, only Jinbe’s seemed easy, but Jinbe is a former Warlord and this was his first match-up as a SH, so it served to establish his “level”. I even think he will have a second fight.

Of the Dofla fights, I didn’t feel they were easy, but mostly balanced. And they served to establish the Grand Fleet’s captains mostly, who are all somewhere around “mid trio” level, if not higher.
    My Wano predictions: All Straw Hats will get fights in Wano, but not in Act 3; There will be 5 acts; The Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Yamato, Carrot and Tama will form their own crew; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5 to issue a challenge; We are going to Mary Geoise after Wano.

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    Stop it you’ll get the people on these forums rooting against the Straw Hats
    LOL

I forgot who had to be the underdogs.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Except we're seeing with Kaidou that the big boys get layers of super armor with their super haki, and yhou need yhour own super haki to break through it.

Blackbeard can turn off fruit defenses but he needs to be able to break past that super armor.

Ugh. Years ago I was excited to see how Luffy was going to deal with an enemy when his rubber defenses stopped working and the actual solution saddens me greatly.
    Maybe there's some mythical zoan out there with a haki bestowal ability and Blackbeard gets it and just gives his entire crew conqueror's haki.

The hardest to find devil fruit though. Probably on Laugh tale.
    Last edited by Zik; September 14th, 2021 at 10:55 AM.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    SHs being top dogs results in Fishman Island: cheating villains that end up not feeling that threatening without some cheap tricks (like dropping a giant ship on people's heads).

It can be amusing for change, but near the end of series? Nope.

I mean, we may have some portions of arcs ahead in which the SHs can curbstomp everyone around, but that won't happen for a full arc. The SHs will be top dogs when they conquer the seas, not before that.

As for the Conqueror Haki thing, I don't think it's a problem for Yamato to have it (heck, I expect Hancock to join and she has it), what I find strange is for Yamato to go toe-to-toe against an emperor. I was expecting him to lose, and for Luffy to rescue him at the last moment. That would have made Yamato more fitting as Luffy's subordinate. Right now, there's a portrayal that feels more like equality.
    Well, Yamato has been going up against Kaido for far longer than Luffy after all.

I was gonna go on a rant right now but I think Robby and Syphin saved us all a lot of typos.

"The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terror"

Quote Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post
    Well, Yamato has been going up against Kaido for far longer than Luffy after all.
    I dont know how you guys have such and exact count of minutes passing, but.. uh.. Luffy's about to change that, guaranteed.

I really hope the Straw Hats vs Black Beard pirates pays off, cause I really haven’t been a fan of too many of the post time skip fights, I think all around pre time skip was superior in both fighting and story telling, although I still really enjoy the series

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    I dont know how you guys have such and exact count of minutes passing, but.. uh.. Luffy's about to change that, guaranteed.
    I meant that Yamato has fought more battles with Kaido than Luffy has.

Do you guys think Bonney is going to be a prominent ally in later arcs? I mean she seems to be tied to a lot of plots and could potentially be centuries old, possibly even having knowledge on the void century

I would like to see her have a new form of fighting outside of making people young and old, hell anything would do give her nunchucks for all I care

Do you guys think Bonney is going to be a prominent ally in later arcs? I mean she seems to be tied to a lot of plots and could potentially be centuries old, possibly even having knowledge on the void century

I would like to see her have a new form of fighting outside of making people young and old, hell anything would do give her nunchucks for all I care
    Probably enemy at first then reluctant ally, and then as friends when she gets to know the strawhats better.

Would be nice if Oda threw in some twists for her character arc.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Her powers, like Shinobu's, would certainly come in very handy with respect to say rapidly accelerating the growth of clone armies and who knows what, let's put it that way.

The respect with which she was treated by Akainu also gave me a similar vibe as that bestowed upon Shanks, so that and a few other things makes me wonder if she may have some kind of direct ties to the Gorosei or some other important authority. Whichever the case, I also suspect she might otherwise also have some connection to or some knowledge of IM as well. Nothing more I can really say for now beyond some hunches.

The fact she was inspired by the famous Anne Bonney also poses some intriguing implications for a number of reasons as well, given the potential significance of the name 'Anne' itself in One Piece.

- Anne from Romance Dawn
    - Blackbeard's infamous ship, the Queen Anne's Revenge
    - Anne being the name Rouge had in mind should her child have been a daughter

So I def think she's set to figure heavily into future plotlines. As I said before, I think her powers alone will make her a target for a certain somebody looking to speed up his science projects, as well as possibly granting back his youth.

Apart from all that, one idle thought and pet theory I had a while back is that she's actually Big Mom's mom lol; the complete opposite of popular early theory surrounding her being Big Mom's daughter. Would be a whacky plot twist at any rate.

Bonney and Urouge are the only two supernovas Luffy has yet to personally meet, so I think it's pretty inevitable. I suspect she'd bring up Kuma's situation at Mariejois and that may lead into the Straw Hats rescuing Sabo from whatever happened to him there.

I'd keep in mind that Ace was beaten and captured after Enies Lobby/Water 7. Luffy didn't find out until AFTER Thriller Bark and Sabaody when Kuma split up the crew. I mean Luffy saw Ace's vivre card burning away at the end of the arc and still didn't immediately go after him.

I was thinking of a potential save Sabo or Vivi arc and that's what led me to my why don't those newspaper birds drop off the newspaper in Wano post.

I think most of us naturally assumed the strawhats would leave Wano heading to their next destination (whether that be Ace's and WB's grave or Elbaf or some yet to be revealed place) and they'd either get the news via bird or a past ally or new one (Marco) would bring up the fate of Sabo/Vivi and the crew would just make a bee line to go save him.

Well it's quite possible Oda puts off that rescue arc for a bit.
    Last.fm

I always thought her setup could lead to being a potential nakama, now with Yamato that seems unlikely to impossible.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information