View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
368. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

189 51.36%
  • Shinobu

1 0.27%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc)

1 0.27%
  • Momo

9 2.45%
  • Tama

9 2.45%
  • Carrot

68 18.48%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

7 1.90%
  • Caribou

6 1.63%
  • Other

28 7.61%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

50 13.59%
Closed Thread
Page 471 of 506 FirstFirst ... 371 421 461 469 470 471 472 473 481 ... LastLast
Results 9,401 to 9,420 of 10112

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Maybe it's just me but yamato who was able to "stalemate" a kaido who
    1. has been consistently fighting since the start of the raid
    2. the latter knowing his techniques/fighting patterns for decades
    3. has shown more interest in talking about keeping his son in line rather than actively working to kill him
    4. doesn't seem to be fazed at all (fighting single handled etc)
    might not be as great a feat as what other people have been making it to be, especially when it's been what, less than 15 minutes in story so far?

And hey, turns out that luffy/zoro are the only ones on the raid capable of really hurting him. So what exactly are people complaining about in terms of yamato powercreeping some dumb hierarchy that he's not even showing signs of?

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Looking through my history on this thread...

Week 0, Yamato appears in mask. Obvious nakama bait but no one takes it seriously because we need to see the design under the mask first. Oda doesn't keep that a secret for long.

Week 1, in early July, chapter 983, after just a couple pages, I was saying "Yamato has a lot of potential, the most in ages, but too much Namiface."

By week 3, I'd switched to calling him "he" because the point had been made clear in the text.

By week 4, I was convinced enough that the face was different enough to cast my vote. I wasn't fully convinced yet, but enough to play along. First character I've done that for in a DECADE of this thread, outside of Jinbro and joke votes like Aikanu.

For the next few weeks my stance was "wait till we see haircolor. It if's white, purple, or red, we have a real contender."

By week 10, Oda put Yamato on a Jump cover to reveal that haircolor months before there'd be a chance in the volumes. THen we saw him in color. White hair, purple shading, and red horns! Hitting all three marks the crew was missing. Plus the dark parts providing a fade unlike ANY other character in the series.

I was pretty strongly convinced by then, like 95%, but was waiting for devil fruit or flahshback to seal the deal.

Yamato then proceeded to get focus in nearly every chapter for the next year, outside of a small few, including flashbacks in chapters 999 and 1000, and prominent placement on the volume 99-100-101 cover, reserved only for Strawhats, Ace, and the two big enemies.

Then in chapter 1016, mid June,33 chapters and about a year later, Yamato declares "I will beat you and travel with Luffy!" and that was it, done deal, nothing else mattered.

And we've now had another 8 chapters since then that show off said flashbacking and devil fruit and MORE declarations of "I am leaving when this is over" and I just don't see where people are still hunting for anti-hints. "Too strong, too guardian, too nickname"

It was clear from basically the first chapter Yamato was unmasked and said he knew Ace, this thread had to be restarted just for him and to make a new poll, and only became more and more clear.

I understand still having *some* doubts monhs ago, but still? When it's been outright declared in text, not even subtext?

I'm getting flashbacks to people who weere still denying Jinbe as late as Cakeland, saying he would die or something. I just... don't get it.

At this juncture we're way past red herring stage... Oda would have to do the most un-Oda like, most Game of Thrones thing he's done and just outright tragically kill Yamato... and there's not much in the history of the series to suggest he'll do that.

Though he DOES share cover space with Ace...
    Just wanted to point out that even those stories where there's a huge "twist" to it had proper foreshadowing hinting at it. Because that's basic storytelling and you need to give proper information about it so that it make sense when it happens.

Whereas in this case the anti-hints have largely been contradictory to the text, much more minuscule or just straight up reading too much into something that doesn't exist.
    Last edited by legumes; September 13th, 2021 at 09:08 AM.

I hope when Yamato joins he is explicitly said to be stronger than Zoro and Sanji.

Especially Zoro.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyan D. Funk View Post
    I hope when Yamato joins he is explicitly said to be stronger than Zoro and Sanji.

Especially Zoro.
    There is no shame in being out-chaded by Oden.

They will all realize this and say that Yams deserves to be co-captain and half-emperor.

Not particularly invested in the Power Level discussion, myself, but even if Yamato is currently stronger than Zoro (and I'm not particularly convinced that he is), I wouldn't expect it to take Zoro too long to surpass Yams in the grand scheme of things.

Welcome to Rokkenjima.

Quote Originally Posted by otakufan View Post
    Not particularly invested in the Power Level discussion, myself, but even if Yamato is currently stronger than Zoro (and I'm not particularly convinced that he is), I wouldn't expect it to take Zoro too long to surpass Yams in the grand scheme of things.
    And Sanji. Oda's been very explicit these last dozen or so chapters that he very much considers Zoro and Sanji the #2 and #3 of the crew.

People critized Oda for over 20 years because he doesn't include physically powerful females.

And now when he does, people grasp at every straw to downplay Yamato's achievements. Like one can practically smell the reach from a mile away.

"He knows how to fight Kaido" (and Kaido knows how to fight Yamato)

"Kaido isn't serious" (despite saying so multiple times and Yams feeling the killing intent)

"Kaido is tired" (this is my favorite )

"It's only 15 minutes (while everyone who isn't Luffy could endure one T-Bag, *at best*)

____

I understand the reflex to argue against anything that could threaten Yamato's chances, even something as insignificant as powerlevel. And it's true, at least the Zoro / Yams dynamic has to be addressed in some form (and it will if he joins, no question).

But I would rather hear how it will be addressed instead of shitting on Yamato's achievements.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    And Sanji. Oda's been very explicit these last dozen or so chapters that he very much considers Zoro and Sanji the #2 and #3 of the crew.
    Sanji's something of an edge case.

I definitely agree that he's long been portrayed as someone who is meant to be on Zoro's level (the only slightly behind #3 to Zoro's #2), but he hasn't really had the same opportunities to show it post-timeskip. The addition of the Raid Suit (and whatever it's doing to his body) seems to be Oda's attempt to bring Sanji back up to speed, but apart from curb-stomping Page One and tanking a couple of hits from King, he hasn't really shown what he can do with it in a fight yet.

Hopefully his fight with Queen will serve to do just that, but Sanji's got a lot of ground to make up before he really starts to feel like Zoro's equal again.

Welcome to Rokkenjima.

I don't see Oda ever changing the Zoro/Sanji dynamic and their "rank" in the crew.
    Could he have done a better job of portraying that post-TS ? Sure, but I don't see any indication that he had any actual intent of increasing the gap between the 2. Especially now that he's calling them "Wings of the PK" in the story.
    The post-TS gap between Luffy and the duo is more problematic IMO.

As for Yamato's spot, she may actually be more powerful than the 2 as of RIGHT NOW in the OP universe but I expect that the level-up the two are about to get will be bigger than most expect. Enough to start closing that huge gap in power Oda created by focusing only on Luffy's development.
    Both will probably starting using CoC soon enough (maybe to KO all those minions running towards the live floor).
    If their feats are not obvious enough, I expect Oda to use the reactions of the characters to hype them even more.

After that, it would be more believable that the crew strength (likely reflected by their future bounties) would be something along the line : Luffy > Zoro & Sanji > Yamato & Jinbe

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    You brought up Roger's crew. There were two members that had CoC. Then Oden joined for a while, which made it three. Then he left and Shanks seemingly achieved it some years after the crew disbanded. The point is that we've never seen a crew so stacked with CoC users that it would essentially trivialize any future confrontations. Two emperor-level users with advanced CoC (Luffy + Yamato), Zoro with CoC, and Sanji with CoC. Throw in Jinbe as an ex-warlord and suddenly why would we ever need to think that the SHs can potentially fail at anything or lose again?
    We barely know anything about Roger's crew at all really. We're only shown glimpses of battle scenes in the Manga, and moreso to feature the characters that are well established like Rayleigh, Shanks and Buggy. We don't even know what Scopper Gabban looks like still. And there's even outliers (semi-canon characters) like Douglas Bullet, who has CoC. We don't have a full list of all the members of Rogers crew who had CoC, so we can't just pin it as 2 members on the crew just because that's all we know so far.

I mean would you assume Buggy was the only fruit user on Roger's crew because so far he's the only one confirmed with a Fruit power?

I imagine if we ever see a flashback where we see Rogers crew in full force, with characters being named and focused on, it would have to be in a major flashback arc on the level of showing off the Whitebeard pirates at Marineford, when we first learned of all the Whitebeard commanders and their various powers. I would say the best time for that is a Roger+Garp vs Rocks flashback, maybe after we meet back up with Shanks or finally get a reveal of the connection between Blackbeard and Rocks. That's probably the best time to really get an idea of how powerful Roger's crew really was in their prime, and how the Strawhats would compare in theirs.
    Last edited by Triceron; September 13th, 2021 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyan D. Funk View Post

Especially Zoro.
    Wow mate, I love you, but what's the sudden disdain for Zoro-boy ?
    Every nation gets the government it deserves.---- Joseph de Maistre

Quote Originally Posted by fana View Post
    I don't see Oda ever changing the Zoro/Sanji dynamic and their "rank" in the crew.
    Could he have done a better job of portraying that post-TS ? Sure, but I don't see any indication that he had any actual intent of increasing the gap between the 2. Especially now that he's calling them "Wings of the PK" in the story.
    Oh, I agree - the Zoro/Sanji dynamic and their respective positions as Luffy's "wings" aren't going to change.

Just saying that, if we're talking power levels, Sanji feels a fair bit behind Zoro at the moment, at least to me. Hopefully the fight with Queen will help to narrow that gap.

Welcome to Rokkenjima.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    People critized Oda for over 20 years because he doesn't include physically powerful females.

And now when he does, people grasp at every straw to downplay Yamato's achievements. Like one can practically smell the reach from a mile away.

"Kaido isn't serious" (despite saying so multiple times and Yams feeling the killing intent)

"It's only 15 minutes (while everyone who isn't Luffy could endure one T-Bag, *at best*)

____

I understand the reflex to argue against anything that could threaten Yamato's chances, even something as insignificant as powerlevel. And it's true, at least the Zoro / Yams dynamic has to be addressed in some form (and it will if he joins, no question).

But I would rather hear how it will be addressed instead of shitting on Yamato's achievements.
    As well as using Nami's face like she's a floating head as if to dismiss Oda's art, as well as reasoning to dismiss Yamato completely in spite of Oda's efforts to attempt to overcome his shortcomings by using the rest of the design. Also funny when people accuse Oda of only drawing either Nami's face or ugly faces for females, as if ugly faces can't be used for males as well. lol

____

Big Mom better look out when Yams comes down to stall her for a few minutes.

Shanks coming to meet the elder stars? Better hope Yams doesn't feel like stalling him for a bit.

BB getting OP? Not on Yams watch he won't. He may let Luffy past, but only because he allows it

Since when did this thread become the Strawman thread against people with different opinions?
    Since when people are "against Yamato joining" because he's a strong woman for instance?
    Can we at least discuss actual opinions, instead of distorting them into something they are not?
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

Discovered Stowaway Dorobō Neko's Avatar

Best thing about Yamato is that he will make a great first mate. Luffy truly needed someone around his power level to cap off the crew.

Zoro and Sanji don't have what it takes nor horns so they are pretty worthless tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Big Mom better look out when Yams comes down to stall her for a few minutes.

Shanks coming to meet the elder stars? Better hope Yams doesn't feel like stalling him for a bit.

BB getting OP? Not on Yams watch he won't. He may let Luffy past, but only because he allows it
    Yams would be stalli'n, but also make them drip'n

Spoiler:

Yams would be stalli'n, but also make them drip'n

No one makes me bleed my own blood!

Discovered Stowaway Dorobō Neko's Avatar

Also I think it's neat that Yamato finally has the majority of support in the poll of this thread.

Small sample size sure but it's good that most fans understand this series.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorobō Neko View Post
    Also I think it's neat that Yamato finally has the majority of support in the poll of this thread.

Small sample size sure but it's good that most fans understand this series.
    I’m like 80% to 90% sure he’ll join at this point, I just need that tragic back story, mentor and dream to before I’m 100% on board

Default Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    Iím like 80% to 90% sure heíll join at this point, I just need that tragic back story, mentor and dream to before Iím 100% on board
    Honestly the mentor and the tragic backstory can just be left as they are right now. Yamato is not that different from Usopp or Jimbe in the former regard, whereas being alone, stuck on an island for the majority of two decades while everyone you liked got killed passes as the latter for me.
    What I want is a dream beyond "go out, be free, have adventures" but still something selfish, so nothing in the direction of "I want to support Luffy as the man who will bring the Dawn"

Oh, and regarding the power scale within the crew and Sanji: Jimbe has shown much more fighting prowess than Sanji ever since Fishman Island, but Sanji is still one of the wings and not Jimbe. I don't see a reason why that would change if Yamato joins

Closed Thread

Thread Information