View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
368. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

189 51.36%
  • Shinobu

1 0.27%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc)

1 0.27%
  • Momo

9 2.45%
  • Tama

9 2.45%
  • Carrot

68 18.48%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

7 1.90%
  • Caribou

6 1.63%
  • Other

28 7.61%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

50 13.59%
Closed Thread
Page 470 of 506 FirstFirst ... 370 420 460 468 469 470 471 472 480 ... LastLast
Results 9,381 to 9,400 of 10112

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    How many of the Roger Pirates had CoC when the crew was active?
    Why does this matter at all?

Seriously. That doesn't matter. I just happened to mention the Roger pirates having several members with CoC given you asked who else does. None of it matters though.

The strawhats will end up being the best pirate crew, most powerful, yadda yadda yadda. There doesn't need to be competition.

Four CoC users plus a former warlord would make the SHs the most lopsided crew in the story.
    The strawhats are no longer the underdog pirate crew of the story.

As for the remaining obstacles, isn't that what the Grand Fleet and other SH alliances are for?
    Fuck them. The grand fleet are there to deal with fodder during the war (and one other big event yet to happen that they'll cause). The lesser name named characters (you know other vice admirals, captains if there are any). Those are the obstacles they'll handle. They're not taking on admirals, CP0, Im, or the main members of the BB pirates.

Giving Sanji CoC on top of Zoro just getting it, plus a new crew member with it would seemingly make most of the fleet useless.
    Well, Sanji's getting CoC. You're gonna have to deal with that and reconcile w/e issues you think that will have with the rest of the story the way you framed it in your mind.

Not sure why you're comparing the main crew members having CoC and/or Yamato joining who already has it with the fleet anyway. So I have to repeat, the grand fleet aren't taking on main antagonists instead of the strawhats.

Also don't really care if the fleet is useless.

I was fine before them when I just thought in the end during the big war Luffy's friends and allies would just show up to help like the giants, Foxxy, Bentham and level 5.5 escaped prisoners, etc. These Dressrosa tournament guys are kinda meh to me.
    Last edited by Zik; September 12th, 2021 at 08:01 PM.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Discovered Stowaway astagadragon's Avatar

It's almost at the last leg of the journey, where the protagonists are getting almost of all their upgrades and now the last obstacles are the final bosses. Main character have a super lopsided party seems likely, I mean in other series the MC usually has the most overpowered crew at this point of story.

Adding a non-powerhouse new member is like you're recruiting a lv 45 character for your party of lv 70-80...
    "The rain has ceased, and we have been graced by another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it." - Elidibus

This "Only X amount of crewmembers can have conqueror's haki" is a totally fan made concept

Wait a minute, someone don't want SH to be stronger? (eg more CoC users)
    Why?
    Don't you want your hero to be the best?
    SH will be Pirate King crew, having strong members (they already low on quantity, so they make up in quality) is normal.
    Why do you want SH to be weaker? Unless you're secretly masochist ofc

This is a stage where SH accomplished things. They are not underdog now, they're legend. Having strong members are worthy. If you want SH to not have strong members/more CoC, it just mean you're thinking in the "old way" where SH are underdog and struggle against everything.
    It's new era, it's time for SH to be real qualified.

Especially when we went years of ppl saying Zoro would never have it. Especially before it was revealed Rayleigh clearly had it so they could make that parallel between the two.

Not gonna be surprising if its revealed Copper had it as well.

Right now Zoro has it and he can barely do anything with it so its not much of a power boost. It's mainly in place so he can master it all to defeat Mihawk.
    Last edited by Zik; September 12th, 2021 at 08:13 PM.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Having more CoC made the fleet useless? It seems you don't understand battles/wars. General vs General. Soldier vs Soldier.

Maybe you're too occupied by Fishman Island Arc, where Luffy blast his CoC to mow down those thousands of enemies.

But in real top tier fight, things won't go like that. We know Haki can be depleted. Will Luffy/Zoro uses their CoC to knock off fodder, then risk not having Haki infused attacks later on?

This is where the Fleet comes in. They deal with mid & low tier enemies, so SH can focus in their top tier battles.

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    Especially when we went years of ppl saying Zoro would never have it. Especially before it was revealed Rayleigh clearly had it so they could make that parallel between the two.

Not gonna be surprising if its revealed Copper had it as well.

Right now Zoro has it and he can barely do anything with it so its not much of a power boost. It's mainly place so he can master it all to defeat Mihawk.
    Parallels were being drawn already with the scars on their faces and Bartolomeo hyping up Zoro as vice captain. I honestly could have gone either way with it turning out that he had it or not. Zoro is better off being his own distinct character from Rayleigh despite all that though.

Quote Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post
    Parallels were being drawn already with the scars on their faces and Bartolomeo hyping up Zoro as vice captain. I honestly could have gone either way with it turning out that he had it or not. Zoro is better off being his own distinct character from Rayleigh despite all that though.
    He still and always was.

Parallels between characters especially from different generations don't make characters less distinct. These are just things that happen for thematic character building and storytelling purposes.

Nobody is going to say Luffy is less distinct from Roger just cuz they both apparently said the same thing about some dream they have.
    Last.fm

Why does this matter at all?

Seriously. That doesn't matter. I just happened to mention the Roger pirates having several members with CoC given you asked who else does. None of it matters though.

The strawhats will end up being the best pirate crew, most powerful, yadda yadda yadda. There doesn't need to be competition.
    You brought up Roger's crew. There were two members that had CoC. Then Oden joined for a while, which made it three. Then he left and Shanks seemingly achieved it some years after the crew disbanded. The point is that we've never seen a crew so stacked with CoC users that it would essentially trivialize any future confrontations. Two emperor-level users with advanced CoC (Luffy + Yamato), Zoro with CoC, and Sanji with CoC. Throw in Jinbe as an ex-warlord and suddenly why would we ever need to think that the SHs can potentially fail at anything or lose again?

So readers should never have to worry about the SHs losing or failing at anything ever again as they curbstomp their way through BB's crew and the WG? Lame.

Fuck them. The grand fleet are there to deal with fodder during the war (and one other big event yet to happen that they'll case). The lesser name named characters (you know other vice admirals, captains if there are any). Those are the obstacles they'll handle. They're not taking on admirals, CP0, Im, or the main members of the BB pirates.
    So basically, we spent all those chapters getting to know the Grand Fleet and watching them drink sake with Luffy just so that when the time comes, then can handle all the fodder, especially Barto and Cavendish? I feel robbed.

Well, Sanji's getting CoC. You're gonna have to deal with that and reconcile w/e issues you think that will have with the rest of the story the way you framed it in your mind.

Not sure why you're comparing the main crew members having CoC and/or Yamato joining who already has it with the fleet anyway. So I have to repeat, the grand fleet aren't taking on main antagonists instead of the StrawHats.

Also don't really care if the fleet is useless.

I was fine before them when I just thought in the end during the big war Luffy's friends and allies would just show up to help like the giants, Foxxy, Bentham and level 5.5 escaped prisoners, etc. These Dressrosa tournament guys are kinda meh to me.
    I don't have to get used to it because it's already been foreshadowed with the cover of volume 100. My concern is having him getting it along with Yamato joining, which would seemingly trivialize any conflicts in the future. The SHs have always been the underdogs and they'll again be framed as such against BB's crew and the WG in the final war. The problem is, that becomes really hard to do when you add an emperor-level SH to the SH crew.

Few stuff to keep in mind;

CoC doesn't automatically makes you stronger than Admirals.

Zoro doesn't know how to use it to knock out fodder.

Sanji doesn't have it(currently)

The SH's are not meant to be comparable to other crews, they're meant to be high above all of them.

And yet they still have yet to defeat a Marine Admiral or Emperor.

Seeing as how Usopp’s lies always come true he might end up having it to

You brought up Roger's crew.
    And I said why I did.

You quoted it.

There were two members that had CoC. Then Oden joined for a while, which made it three. Then he left and Shanks seemingly achieved it some years after the crew disbanded.
    No need to go over this. Doesn't matter.
    The point is that we've never seen a crew so stacked with CoC users that it would essentially trivialize any future confrontations.
    So what?

Two emperor-level users with advanced CoC (Luffy + Yamato)
    Since when?

Luffy who just learned it is now an advanced user?

Zoro with CoC, and Sanji with CoC. Throw in Jinbe as an ex-warlord and suddenly why would we ever need to think that the SHs can potentially fail at anything or lose again?
    They're not going to fail though. So lets get that out of the way

Also not everything is determined on physical battles.

We've got the SSG, we've got ancient weapons, we've got a bunch of yet to be revealed devil fruits, we've got w/e mysteries Im will reveal, etc.

So readers should never have to worry about the SHs losing or failing at anything ever again as they curbstomp their way through BB's crew and the WG? Lame.
    That's totally up to you what you worry about when it comes to the developments in the story as far as the main characters fighting power.

But I think its dumb to pretend there is no longer a sense of danger in the story. In fact, if Yamato joining and Sanji having CoC makes you think the strawhats are now some invincible crew you're in for a rude awakening. That'd be one of the dumber things to assume about the story going forward.

So basically, we spent all those chapters getting to know the Grand Fleet and watching them drink sake with Luffy just so that when the time comes, then can handle all the fodder, especially Barto and Cavendish? I feel robbed.
    Fuck the grand fleet.

I feel robbed with how lackluster the villains were during the Fishman island arc. The entire tournament in Dressrosa was a robbery.

Guess what, you're not guaranteed 100% satisfaction when reading a story. Not from chapter to chapter. Not from arc to arc. Its a gamble.

Some gambles are more in your favor than others but its still a gamble.

If you're not satisfied with the grand fleet taking on vice admirals and the like (which is basically what Whitebeard's fleet did during Marineford) then maybe you should skip those chapters when they come out.

My concern is having him getting it along with Yamato joining, which would seemingly trivialize any conflicts in the future.
    Then deal with that inevitable reality.

The SHs have always been the underdogs
    Not anymore.

They're going to defeat a yonkou and crew. What don't you get?

Future threats to the strawhats will be in the new developments Oda introduces to make it a challenge to them which I have already mentioned.

and they'll again be framed as such against BB's crew and the WG in the final war. The problem is, that becomes really hard to do when you add an emperor-level SH to the SH crew.
    Calling Yamato an emperor level character is stupid but okay fine.

When its comes to dealing with BB and his fleet, the Marines, WG, etc. two emperors on the same side makes it about even. 3 emperors if you count Zoro makes it perfectly even.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post
    And yet they still have yet to defeat a Marine Admiral or Emperor.
    As far as we know no pirate has defeated a marine admiral. Not even a yonkou. Only Sakazuki has defeated Kuzan and they were both admirals.

The only person to "defeat" an emperor was Blackbeard and he did it with his entire crew to an older and sicker Whitebeard after he had took heavy damage from an ally and the strongest of the Marines.

Guess what, the next opponents for the strawhats are BB and his crew and Sakazuki and the marines.

And I was talking about after they defeat the Beast pirates FYI. That's when they'll stop being underdogs in the story. In story, they're barely underdogs now given the only challenge they have left are the yonkou.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    Seeing as how Usopp’s lies always come true he might end up having it to
    I'm going to go ahead an preemptively count Usopp too.

So 5 CoC users on the strawhats.

At this rate the strawhats will closer mirror the Rocks pirates (then surpass them) and not Roger's. *waits for someone to say Rocks didn't have CoC*
    Last edited by Zik; September 12th, 2021 at 09:20 PM.
    Last.fm

And I said why I did.

You quoted it.
    My point still stands.

No need to go over this. Doesn't matter.
    It does.

So what?
    So making the SHs overpowered makes the story predictable and boring when it comes to conflicts.

Since when?

Luffy who just learned it is now an advanced user?
    Since now. He's advanced enough to do damage against the "strongest creature," so yeah.

They're not going to fail though. So lets get that out of the way

Also not everything is determined on physical battles.

We've got the SSG, we've got ancient weapons, we've got a bunch of yet to be revealed devil fruits, we've got w/e mysteries Im will reveal, etc.
    Well, obviously they're going to succeed. They're the protagonists. The problem is how to do you make it not boring and predictable when you have four people with the strongest, most unique ability in the world all in the same crew and they all get it within one arc. Think about that. Prior to Wano, no SH had advanced CoC in the crew. After the arc, four people could potentially have it.

That's totally up to you what you worry about when it comes to the developments in the story as far as the main characters fighting power.

But I think its dumb to pretend there is no longer a sense of danger in the story. In fact, if Yamato joining and Sanji having CoC makes you think the strawhats are now some invincible crew you're in for a rude awakening. That'd be one of the dumber things to assume about the story going forward.
    So would you acknowledge that it would be better from a story perspective if the SHs were underdogs to BB's crew and the WG? Because using your logic, it would be better to just sit back and expect the SHs to steamroll everyone else in the series without the potential to fail or lose.

Fuck the grand fleet.

I feel robbed with how lackluster the villains were during the Fishman island arc. The entire tournament in Dressrosa was a robbery.

Guess what, you're not guaranteed 100% satisfaction when reading a story. Not from chapter to chapter. Not from arc to arc. Its a gamble.

Some gambles are more in your favor than others but its still a gamble.

If you're not satisfied with the grand fleet taking on vice admirals and the like (which is basically what Whitebeard's fleet did during Marineford) then maybe you should skip those chapters when they come out.
    I'm going to assume that Oda has better things planned for the Grand Fleet than handling fodder. Barto's ability is made for some badass moment that only he can provide. I think they'll all get a chance to shine, but no. I wouldn't expect them to handle any of the admirals or the Gorosei. Everyone else should be fair game.

Then deal with that inevitable reality.
    Except it's not inevitable. I've been reading One Piece long enough to understand that.

Not anymore.

They're going to defeat a yonkou and crew. What don't you get?

Future threats to the strawhats will be in the new developments Oda introduces to make it a challenge to them which I have already mentioned.
    No shit they're going to defeat a yonko. It's happening now. The SHs have always been the underdogs, though, because that's when we get a chance to see them overcome the challenge. When they take on BB and the WG, they'll have the odds stacked against them. I don't believe having two yonko-level members in the SH crew makes that possible. If Jinbe had to wait years just to not outshine Zoro and Sanji, I can't imagine what he would have to do for us to believe that Yamato could lose. Another Robin would be terrible.

Calling Yamato an emperor level character is stupid but okay fine.

When its comes to dealing with BB and his fleet, the Marines, WG, etc. two emperors on the same side makes it about even. 3 emperors if you count Zoro makes it perfectly even.
    Going toe-to-toe with an emperor (who's defeated a dozen characters while carrying an island) with advanced CoC and a strong DF sounds yonko-level to me. Zoro won't be at Luffy's or Yamato's level any time soon. Otherwise, that would put him at Luffy's level, which never happens. The SHs will also have the Grand Fleet, Sabo and the Revolutionaries, and others likely like Law, Hancock, and others, so their crew wouldn't need to be that top heavy with 4 CoC users and a warlord.

My point still stands.
    Still irrelevant given where we're at in the story.
    It does.
    See above.

So making the SHs overpowered makes the story predictable and boring when it comes to conflicts.
    This sounds like a YOU problem. If any other readers feel this way I feel sorry for them

Gonna have to deal with that if that's how you feel.

Doesn't make it true or a fact or anything like that.

Since now. He's advanced enough to do damage against the "strongest creature," so yeah.
    You clearly have your own definition for what an advanced user is as well as your own specific application of it.

Even more so if you're grouping Yamato with him.

Like I said before, doesn't make it true or a fact or anything like it.

Well, obviously they're going to succeed. They're the protagonists. The problem is how to do you make it not boring and predictable when you have four people with the strongest, most unique ability in the world all in the same crew and they all get it within one arc. Think about that. Prior to Wano, no SH had advanced CoC in the crew. After the arc, four people could potentially have it.
    This comes down to you thinking Oda is going to tell a boring uncompelling story and I don't agree.

Either way, the story is in its final stages. I know I'm not worried about things becoming boring or predictable.

So would you acknowledge that it would be better from a story perspective if the SHs were underdogs to BB's crew and the WG?
    Just cuz you're not the underdog doesn't mean an upcoming conflict can't be good.

I don't acknowledge or agree the story would be better if the strawhats were underdogs. I've already read 20+ years of them being the underdog.

I see the strawhats vs. BB pirates as more of a good guys against bad guys story. Not underdogs against favorites. It would almost be good vs. evil if we knew more about what BB intended. So the entire angle of an underdog does not factor in to it.
    Because using your logic, it would be better to just sit back and expect the SHs to steamroll everyone else in the series without the potential to fail or lose.
    It seems you can only process this story in some binary option of two extremes; The strawhats according to you, can either be underdogs or they're juggernauts beating everyone with ease.

As if they can't have an enemy on equal ground.

Instead of assuming you should just ask. My logic doesn't say anything of the sort.

It is totally possible and at this point probable that the strawhats can be a equals with their upcoming foes. That still leaves the expectation of losing or winning up in the air. Not underdogs or overpowered favorites. Its really not hard to imagine.

I'm going to assume that Oda has better things planned for the Grand Fleet than handling fodder. Barto's ability is made for some badass moment that only he can provide. I think they'll all get a chance to shine, but no. I wouldn't expect them to handle any of the admirals or the Gorosei. Everyone else should be fair game.
    "Everyone else" sounds like fodder to me.

The grand fleet will be taking on characters the strawhats shouldn't spend time wasting on.

If it's not admirals, Im, BB pirates, Gorosei, etc. who are they fighting exactly?

This is what I'm talking about where the story has progressed to. The strawhats have gotten stronger. Now they're taking on the crew of a yonkou. The main strawhats are fighting the top named members of the Beast pirates. That's their role. If the samurai and ninjas weren't around and the grand fleet were instead guess who they'd be fighting? All of the nameless gifters, numbers, waiters, etc. of the Beast pirates. Fills out the "war" or "raid" aspect of the story but they're still fodder to me. That's what they basically function as.

If this was pre-timeskip, a vice-admiral could fit as an antagonist of an arc. Post time skip though? They're all mostly fodder with maybe one exception (depending what rank Coby reaches).

The only way the grand fleet wouldn't be solely fighting fodder is if Oda did a repeat of what he did in Dresrosa by having some of the more known grand fleet members fight Doffy's top guys instead of the strawhats. But I doubt Oda will repeat that when the strawhats fight the BB pirates especially after he just made sure they all fought strongest of the Beast pirates.

Except it's not inevitable. I've been reading One Piece long enough to understand that.
    Can't tell you what to believe but if you think that will trivialize future conflicts that's something you'll have to deal with.

It'll trivialize it for YOU. What you're saying isn't a fact.

If you end up not liking the story Oda is telling that'll suck for you.

No shit they're going to defeat a yonko. It's happening now.
    It seems you're not grasping the strawhats will no longer be underdogs after they defeat Kaido and the Beast Pirates.

You talk as if its not obvious.

The SHs have always been the underdogs, though, because that's when we get a chance to see them overcome the challenge. When they take on BB and the WG, they'll have the odds stacked against them. I don't believe having two yonko-level members in the SH crew makes that possible. If Jinbe had to wait years just to not outshine Zoro and Sanji, I can't imagine what he would have to do for us to believe that Yamato could lose. Another Robin would be terrible.
    If that's how you want to frame it in your mind for this underdog thing to still be a thing (when it really shouldn't), all Oda has to do is stack the odds even higher against a crew with 5 CoC users.

Also this whole Jimbe had to wait years to join in order to not outshine Zoro and Sanji is just fan made bull shit. I hope you know that. Oda has never stated anything like that. I don't even think Greg has even hinted as such. So please don't state it as fact. I never believed that nonsense.

Besides what Oda did with Jimbe in this arc is pretty much the same thing he could've done to him in Dressrosa.

There's also no reason to think Oda has to or will nerf anybody's abilities.
    Going toe-to-toe with an emperor (who's defeated a dozen characters while carrying an island) with advanced CoC and a strong DF sounds yonko-level to me. Zoro won't be at Luffy's or Yamato's level any time soon.
    He will be. Will have to be when he faces Mihawk.

I'm not sure what you think "soon" is anyway given we're in the final stages of the story. Especially for someone like Zoro who only drinks, sleep, and trains constantly.

Otherwise, that would put him at Luffy's level, which never happens.
    Luffy just has to get stronger which he undoubtedly will.

You talk as if where Luffy is now will be the strongest he ever will be. This isn't his ceiling. Zoro can easily reach the level Luffy is at now.

The SHs will also have the Grand Fleet, Sabo and the Revolutionaries, and others likely like Law, Hancock, and others, so their crew wouldn't need to be that top heavy with 4 CoC users and a warlord.
    Now you're pretending you know exactly what is going to be the major threats from the Marines and world government as well as Blackbeard and his crew.

You don't know how the final war is going to play out to say those allies will be enough.

It could turn out that all of their forces won't be enough in the face of Pluton let alone w/e else Oda decides to reveal with Im or Vegapunk or BB for that matter.
    Last edited by Zik; September 13th, 2021 at 12:29 AM.
    Last.fm

Oh I didn't know/see this name thing as a rule or pattern was already thoroughly debunked.

LOL
    Lol what? You won't find such disrespect with any straw hat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kfunk View Post
    Lol what? You won't find such disrespect with any straw hat.
    The last part about having no interest was particularly laughable. The rest was just silly.
    Last.fm

Looking through my history on this thread...

Week 0, Yamato appears in mask. Obvious nakama bait but no one takes it seriously because we need to see the design under the mask first. Oda doesn't keep that a secret for long.

Week 1, in early July, chapter 983, after just a couple pages, I was saying "Yamato has a lot of potential, the most in ages, but too much Namiface."

By week 3, I'd switched to calling him "he" because the point had been made clear in the text.

By week 4, I was convinced enough that the face was different enough to cast my vote. I wasn't fully convinced yet, but enough to play along. First character I've done that for in a DECADE of this thread, outside of Jinbro and joke votes like Aikanu.

For the next few weeks my stance was "wait till we see haircolor. It if's white, purple, or red, we have a real contender."

By week 10, Oda put Yamato on a Jump cover to reveal that haircolor months before there'd be a chance in the volumes. THen we saw him in color. White hair, purple shading, and red horns! Hitting all three marks the crew was missing. Plus the dark parts providing a fade unlike ANY other character in the series.

I was pretty strongly convinced by then, like 95%, but was waiting for devil fruit or flahshback to seal the deal.

Yamato then proceeded to get focus in nearly every chapter for the next year, outside of a small few, including flashbacks in chapters 999 and 1000, and prominent placement on the volume 99-100-101 cover, reserved only for Strawhats, Ace, and the two big enemies.

Then in chapter 1016, mid June,33 chapters and about a year later, Yamato declares "I will beat you and travel with Luffy!" and that was it, done deal, nothing else mattered.

And we've now had another 8 chapters since then that show off said flashbacking and devil fruit and MORE declarations of "I am leaving when this is over" and I just don't see where people are still hunting for anti-hints. "Too strong, too guardian, too nickname"

It was clear from basically the first chapter Yamato was unmasked and said he knew Ace, this thread had to be restarted just for him and to make a new poll, and only became more and more clear.

I understand still having *some* doubts monhs ago, but still? When it's been outright declared in text, not even subtext?

I'm getting flashbacks to people who weere still denying Jinbe as late as Cakeland, saying he would die or something. I just... don't get it.

At this juncture we're way past red herring stage... Oda would have to do the most un-Oda like, most Game of Thrones thing he's done and just outright tragically kill Yamato... and there's not much in the history of the series to suggest he'll do that.

Though he DOES share cover space with Ace...
    Last edited by Robby; September 13th, 2021 at 04:10 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Looking through my history on this thread...

Week 0, Yamato appears in mask. Obvious nakama bait but no one takes it seriously because we need to see the design under the mask first. Oda doesn't keep that a secret for long.

Week 1, in early July, chapter 983, after just a couple pages, I was saying "Yamato has a lot of potential, the most in ages, but too much Namiface."

By week 3, I'd switched to calling him "he" because the point had been made clear in the text.

By week 4, I was convinced enough that the face was different enough to cast my vote. I wasn't fully convinced yet, but enough to play along.

For the next few weeks my stance was "wait till we see haircolor. It if's white, purple, or red, we have a real contender."

By week 10, Oda put Yamato on a Jump cover to reveal that haircolor months before there'd be a chance in the volumes. THen we saw him in color. White hair, purple shading, and red horns! Hitting all three marks the crew was missing. Plus the dark parts providing a fade unlike ANY other character in the series.

I was pretty strongly convinced by then, like 95%, but was waiting for devil fruit or flahshback to seal the deal.

Yaamto then proceeded to get focus in nearly every chapter for the next year, outside of a small few, including flashbacks in chapters 999 and 1000, and prominent placement on the volume 99-100-101 cover, reserved only for Strawhats, Ace, and the two big enemies.

Then in chapter 1016, mid June,33 chapters and about a year later, Yamato declares "I will beat you and travel with Luffy!" and that was it, done deal, nothing else mattered.

And we've now had another 8 chapters since then that show off said flashbacking and devil fruit and MORE declarations of "I am leaving when this is over" and I just don't see where people are still hunting for anti-hints. "Too strong, too guardian, too nickname"

It was clear from basically the first chapter Yamato was unmasked and said he knew Ace, this thread had to be restarted just for him and to make a new poll, and only became more and more clear.

I understand still having *some* doubts monhs ago, but still? When it's been outright declared in text, not even subtext?

I'm getting flashbacks to people who weere still denying Jinbe as late as Cakeland, saying he would die or something. I just... don't get it.

At this juncture we're way past red herring stage... Oda would have to do the most un-Oda like, most Game of Thrones thing he's done and just outright tragically kill Yamato... and there's not much in the history of the series to suggest he'll do that.

Though he DOES share cover space with Ace...
    Dead Yamato would ruin the big happy celebration promised at the end and long overdue. Also Oda has never killed a character just for the sake of the tragedy. Ace and Whitebeard had a purpose. Yasuie had a purpose. Creating this character whose dream is to explore the world and never giving him that chance just to make us hate Kaido just feels like the most anti-Oda thing and completely unneccessary.

That's my point. The only way he's not leaving with the crew at this point is for Oda to stop being Oda.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    And I know the translation points to once Yamato joins the crew Luffy will then use his real name, my counterpoint was that Luffy tends to use the real name of his crew mates before he joined their crew. Like he called Brook Brook mid Thriller Bark or called Franky Franky when trusting him to get Robin etc.
    He invited Gaimon while still calling him Mr. Shrub. Never called him by his real name. Still invited him.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Closed Thread

Thread Information