View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
368. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

189 51.36%
  • Shinobu

1 0.27%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc)

1 0.27%
  • Momo

9 2.45%
  • Tama

9 2.45%
  • Carrot

68 18.48%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

7 1.90%
  • Caribou

6 1.63%
  • Other

28 7.61%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

50 13.59%
Closed Thread
Page 469 of 506 FirstFirst ... 369 419 459 467 468 469 470 471 479 ... LastLast
Results 9,361 to 9,380 of 10112

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Quote Originally Posted by DollarScholar View Post
    Yamato being Ogre adds to the chance of her joining since Oda clearly likes the idea of having a diverse set of races/semi-humans in the crew (chopper, franky, brook, jinbe)
    Yeah, it was made apparent early on when Luffy was saying that you get to meet all sorts of interesting people the more you travel and visiting and recruiting in the Grand Line is made more special in that regard by Luffy recruiting non-traditional humans starting with Chopper or humans with devil fruits like Robin.

I also don't adhere too much to Yamato's showing against Kaido, considering A. He's fought like 15 people already and B. I don't think he's fighting his daughter with the intent to kill.

"The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terror"

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    Finally if we were really going for broad strokes as the criteria Law marked all the checklist in Dressrosa but he didn’t join either (and he has a dream now like Robin in finding out the Will of D so there’s that)
    How many times has Law expressed a desire to sail under Luffy's command?

what was the nickname he called Robin? And Chopper was just called Reindeer, not a nickname?

There’s other examples too of friendly allies that Luffy doesn’t use there real names for like Bon-Chan, Iva-Chan, Ice-Ossan. There’s also Cabbagges and Chicken-head. Crybaby-osshi.

Finally if we were really going for broad strokes as the criteria Law marked all the checklist in Dressrosa but he didn’t join either (and he has a dream now like Robin in finding out the Will of D so there’s that)
    My point is you can't make a claim of there being a rule that has to be followed when there is a single exception to the rule let alone two.

You want to make it a point against Yamato's favor in joining because Luffy referred to him by a nickname with the argument that only people Luffy respects enough to use their proper name can join yet he let a random woman who saved his life once join because she asked out of obligation whose name he didn't know and a weird, funny creature whose name he did know but still referred to it by the nickname/status (whatever you want to call it) of his species because he could transform and looked cool. He also asked a random Afro Skeleton man to join before even knowing what his name was. Luffy doesn't ask people he respects to join, he asks people he likes or thinks are interesting.

From an authorial perspective, from your very own SBS that you linked, Oda's word on it is Luffy will get the names of his crew right when they officially join because that's just the way it is and nothing else. Oda has never made any claim about only characters with names Luffy knows can join and the fact that there are two blatant exceptions in this history of this series nullifies any credibility of this claim no matter what excuses can be made about extenuating circumstances. Because Yamato's character could also have extenuating circumstances.

And to address your question about Law, Law has never once stated he wanted to join Luffy's crew and is very adamant on being independent. This is opposed to Yamato whose made his intentions boldly and clearly three times now. This combined with the impactful design Oda kept tweaking, interacting with Luffy and Franky, having two big character defining moments protecting Momonosuke and fighting Kaidou and having a flashback about being lonely and never being accepted.

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Just wanna point out in the official release for chapter 1025, Luffy calls Yamato Yamao, despite knowing Yamato knew Ace, knowing Yamato’s backstory essentially, relying on Yamato to look after Momo, and being impressed with Yamato’s fighting skills (being able to hold off Kaidou).

Usually Luffy as a sign of respect for a crew member would use their full name instead of a nickname (volume 96). And given all Luffy knows about Yamato I dunno what key bit of info would need to turn the tide for Luffy to go from nickname to not nickname at this poin
    Luffy will call a character a nickname until he doesn't.

Don't really know why this can be considered a thing.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

The Yamao nickname isn't something that should just brushed get off.
    The first thing Yamato did is introducing herself as Yamato to Luffy. Later took offense at the Yamao and angrily corrected him spelling it syllable per syllable
    Luffy isn't someone who is disrespectful on purpose on purpose, he's blunt which is another matter.
    Him not bothering to correct himself show a lack of interest in Yamato.
    Last edited by Kfunk; September 12th, 2021 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kfunk View Post
    The first thing Yamato did is introducing herself as Yamato to Luffy. Took offense at the Yamao and angrily corrected him spelling it syllable per syllable
    Luffy isn't someone who is disrespectful on purpose on purpose, he's blunt which is another matter.
    Depending on what Yamato does, I think she's starting to win more favor with Luffy since he recognized she held Kaido back just after saying "Yamao." Also convenient how Yamato declared she wanted to sail with Luffy and made her cool wolf transformation when Luffy wasn't around.

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    I won't get tied up into what exactly Luffy calls Yamato at this point because that's something that could easily change. The biggest hurdle I have now is how freaking strong Yamato is. Ace wasn't lying about Yamato being a captain. He's clearly fighting on an even playing field with a guy who's literally fought more than a dozen characters all while carrying an island. He's even drawing blood against Kaido.

Zoro and Sanji have always been the two strongest SHs and even now, they're fighting the top two commanders to equal what Luffy just did in WCI. Jinbe was intentionally given a lesser opponent in order for them to again establish themselves as the "wings" of the future PK. That means Jinbe's basically being slotted in behind them.

I find it extremely hard to believe that after all these years and all the feats those two have accomplished that a new character will suddenly be introduced that outclasses them. Hell, people have already forgotten how Jinbe was held back for years just to get Zoro and Sanji to where they are today when they can technically outrank him (on land) from a strength perspective.
    Doesn't really matter now. We're in the final stages of the story. Strawhats can use another super strong member.

I figure this argument will die out after Oda reveals Sanji has CoC as well.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    Luffy will call a character a nickname until he doesn't.

Don't really know why this can be considered a thing.
    He also didn't call Hancock by her real name until several days after she agreed to take him to Impel Down to rescue Ace, as well as "Bon-Chan" for Bentham even by the time he left himself behind so Luffy could escape.

Quote Originally Posted by TLC View Post
    My point is you can't make a claim of there being a rule that has to be followed when there is a single exception to the rule let alone two.

You want to make it a point against Yamato's favor in joining because Luffy referred to him by a nickname with the argument that only people Luffy respects enough to use their proper name can join yet he let a random woman who saved his life once join because she asked out of obligation whose name he didn't know and a weird, funny creature whose name he did know but still referred to it by the nickname/status (whatever you want to call it) of his species because he could transform and looked cool. He also asked a random Afro Skeleton man to join before even knowing what his name was. Luffy doesn't ask people he respects to join, he asks people he likes or thinks are interesting.

From an authorial perspective, from your very own SBS that you linked, Oda's word on it is Luffy will get the names of his crew right when they officially join because that's just the way it is and nothing else. Oda has never made any claim about only characters with names Luffy knows can join and the fact that there are two blatant exceptions in this history of this series nullifies any credibility of this claim no matter what excuses can be made about extenuating circumstances. Because Yamato's character could also have extenuating circumstances.

And to address your question about Law, Law has never once stated he wanted to join Luffy's crew and is very adamant on being independent. This is opposed to Yamato whose made his intentions boldly and clearly three times now. This combined with the impactful design Oda kept tweaking, interacting with Luffy and Franky, having two big character defining moments protecting Momonosuke and fighting Kaidou and having a flashback about being lonely and never being accepted.
    Oh I didn't know/see this name thing as a rule or pattern was already thoroughly debunked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kfunk View Post
    The first thing Yamato did is introducing herself as Yamato to Luffy. Later took offense at the Yamao and angrily corrected him spelling it syllable per syllable
    LOL
    Last.fm

Discovered Stowaway astagadragon's Avatar

I guess that the sacred "we are nakama now" will be uttered by Luffy in this rooftop batte before Yamato finally falls and Luffy would proceed to go mano-a-mano against Kaido.

I can see it: big spread page, Luffy shouting "Yamato!! You are my nakama now!!", with sneering Kaido, wheezing Momo and crying Yamato, as well as "Break next week" LOL

Like, it's almost a certainty at this point. It's not even funny how blatant Oda threw the clues at us...
    "The rain has ceased, and we have been graced by another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it." - Elidibus

Quote Originally Posted by astagadragon View Post
    I guess that the sacred "we are nakama now" will be uttered by Luffy in this rooftop batte before Yamato finally falls and Luffy would proceed to go mano-a-mano against Kaido.

I can see it: big spread page, Luffy shouting "Yamato!! You are my nakama now!!", with sneering Kaido, wheezing Momo and crying Yamato, as well as "Break next week" LOL

Like, it's almost a certainty at this point. It's not even funny how blatant Oda threw the clues at us...
    Roughly 2 weeks to dwell on that may set some of those in denial straight.

But I'd look forward to the new ways they'd spin a potential scene and declaration like that and come up with new ways why Yamato won't join.
    Last.fm

Heh, I wasn't the only one who cut out Franky.

(Click on link to tweet if image does not work)

https://twitter.com/Eiichiro_Staff/s...270614529?s=20

Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

I’m still disappointed with Yamato’s hybrid design

Doesn't really matter now. We're in the final stages of the story. Strawhats can use another super strong member.

I figure this argument will die out after Oda reveals Sanji has CoC as well.
    So that would mean four active CoC users in one crew if he joined. Think about that for a second while you compare it to other crews.

So that would mean four active CoC users in one crew if he joined. Think about that for a second while you compare it to other crews.
    *Series clearly states the SH's are going to surpass Roger's*

*They do it*

Fandom; eeey why are they surpassing Roger's crew!!!???

Why do I need to compare it to any other crews?

The strawhats are meant to be the pirate crew whose captain will be the next pirate king.

Nevermind the fact that the Roger pirates had 4 CoC users (probably 5 when we meet some other members).

You should think about that. We're in the final stages of the story and that the remaining obstacles and opponents are the Blackbeard pirates and the Marines/world government. Not some lame fake competition like the Kid pirates or some random yet to be introduced New World pirate crew.
    Last.fm

Why do I need to compare it to any other crews?

The strawhats are meant to be the pirate crew whose captain will be the next pirate king.

Nevermind the fact that the Roger pirates had 4 CoC users (probably 5 when we meet some other members).

You should think about that. We're in the final stages of the story and that the remaining obstacles and opponents are the Blackbeard pirates and the Marines/world government. Not some lame fake competition like the Kid pirates or some random yet to be introduced New World pirate crew.
    How many of the Roger Pirates had CoC when the crew was active? Shanks was a kid and didn't exhibit it until he was an adult. And I'm not talking about speculating about who else might have had it. Four CoC users plus a former warlord would make the SHs the most lopsided crew in the story. As for the remaining obstacles, isn't that what the Grand Fleet and other SH alliances are for? Giving Sanji CoC on top of Zoro just getting it, plus a new crew member with it would seemingly make most of the fleet useless.

How many of the Roger Pirates had CoC when the crew was active? Shanks was a kid and didn't exhibit it until he was an adult. And I'm not talking about speculating about who else might have had it. Four CoC users plus a former warlord would make the SHs the most lopsided crew in the story. As for the remaining obstacles, isn't that what the Grand Fleet and other SH alliances are for? Giving Sanji CoC on top of Zoro just getting it, plus a new crew member with it would seemingly make most of the fleet useless.
    Just having Conqueror's awaken like Observation and Arnament would probably make it less special despite apparently only one in a million people having it. I'm all for giving the Straw Hats more fire power since they'll probably go up against Blackbeard, Akainu, and Im's force by the end, but that doesn't have to be the only way.

Chiming in -

1. The Blackbeards have multiple Level 6 Impel Down detainees as crewmates i.e. pirates on the same threat level as Ace and Jimbei at least. If anything, adding Yamato to the crew evens the odds for that eventual showdown.
    2. Grand Fleet and other SH Alliances will deal with the "numbers" of the obstacles e.g. vice admirals, rear admirals, pacifistas.

Adding Yamato, IMO, will help in shortening the story.

Closed Thread

Thread Information