View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
368. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

189 51.36%
  • Shinobu

1 0.27%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc)

1 0.27%
  • Momo

9 2.45%
  • Tama

9 2.45%
  • Carrot

68 18.48%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

7 1.90%
  • Caribou

6 1.63%
  • Other

28 7.61%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

50 13.59%
Closed Thread
Page 468 of 506 FirstFirst ... 368 418 458 466 467 468 469 470 478 ... LastLast
Results 9,341 to 9,360 of 10112

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    Just wanna point out in the official release for chapter 1025, Luffy calls Yamato Yamao, despite knowing Yamato knew Ace, knowing Yamato’s backstory essentially, relying on Yamato to look after Momo, and being impressed with Yamato’s fighting skills (being able to hold off Kaidou).

Usually Luffy as a sign of respect for a crew member would use their full name instead of a nickname (volume 96). And given all Luffy knows about Yamato I dunno what key bit of info would need to turn the tide for Luffy to go from nickname to not nickname at this poin
    Usually Luffy calls people by their full names after they’ve made a particular big impression on him, like how he called Katakuri by his full name for example.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmamentHero View Post
    Oda tried to pull a sneaky in there by not letting Luffy see his DF form.
    That was so on the nose timing wise.
    I feel like that's going to pay off in Luffy star eyes at some point but maybe I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthAsthma View Post
    I feel like that's going to pay off in Luffy star eyes at some point but maybe I'm wrong.
    Who wouldn't get starry eyes from a big deified wolf?

I'm in the same boat here.
    Here’s how Naruto should end: Last panel is Naruto standing proudly over Konohagakure. Slowly zoom out to reveal Luffy staring into a snowglobe with a miniature Konoha inside it. Usopp asks him what he’s doing. Luffy replies “Thinkin’ bout ninjas! Ninjas are cool!” and then chucks it off the ship

Quote Originally Posted by DarthAsthma View Post
    Might not be for awhile then since Luffy is focused on defeating Kaido at this point, similar to how Luffy didn’t get excited over Franky being a cyborg the first time they met because of what happened with Usopp.

This and last chapter filled some of the checkboxes I expected for Yamato joining, but left a lot still blank.

PROS:
    - Luffy not yet seeing Yamato's DF power (potential for starry eyes later);
    - More hints of Yamato's past (but it feels like there's not much left to cover);
    - Yamato getting a few new battle moves. That was sorely needed, especially the ice-themed ones.

CONS:
    - Yamato's past being glanced over small panels.
    - The story seemingly setting up Kaido's past by hinting at his prejudices.
    - Yamato so close to strength to Luffy and so far above anyone else.

Some comments:

I'm on a weird border between: "Is that it? Is that all the Yamato development we got from his fight with Kaido?" and "Oh, maybe it will be expanded further on the team battle or after it".

One of the translations made Kaido imply Yamato wanted to be accepted by the samurai. I was going to write it as a potential complement to Yamato wanting to be a samurai last week, but the official translation is different, so I'll void this point for now.

With both Luffy and Momo present, it almost feels like it's a chance for Yamato to better know both and put them in the balance, as there's both the desire to go to sea and the "Wano's guardian" theme that maybe be building up (subject to interpretation).

Anyway, at least there were some points added towards Yamato joining.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

The Tetsuo Ishimaru of AP Gizmo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TLC View Post
    Luffy also didn't get Brook's, Chopper's or Robin's name right until after they joined. He consistently got Brook's name wrong, constantly referred to Chopper as "Reindeer" and didn't even know Robin's name when she joined. If Yamato asks Luffy to join which he already has stated he wants to do multiple times, Luffy (the guy who asked a zombie tree and zombie unicorn to join on first sight) has no reason to say no, and that's where Luffy will have the opportunity to get to know the person and start referring to them with their proper name.
    Luffy used Brook’s correct name from the moment he woke up from getting captured and sent back to the Sunny with Zoro/Sanji (before finding about his backstory with Brook). Luffy also called him Brook when asking him for the favor when fighting Oars.

For Robin and Chopper, I would argue Oda wasn’t as hard pressed with those rules as he is now, but to make counterpoints…

Robin is a weird case because she wasn’t even on Luffy’s radar as a crew member until she snuck on and essentially asked to be on his crew, and Luffy I don’t think called her anything, name or nickname. He only used an incorrect name when they first met because he didn’t know his name properly, but he didn’t call him a nickname.

And Luffy didn’t even know Chopper’s name until after the flag scene when he announced it (though not to Luffy) and had his fight. And yes, from translations he called Chopper reindeer instead of his name, but it wasn’t a nickname from what I got.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwing
    Stay focused, cause right now you have a decision to make. Are you a man perpetually looking back at what he’s lost, or a man looking forward, to what he might become?

I just keep getting the feeling lately that Yamato is almost too cool to join
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post
    Usually Luffy calls people by their full names after they’ve made a particular big impression on him, like how he called Katakuri by his full name for example.
    but that’s what I’m going with. Look at all that Luffy knows about Yamato, and he just learned Yamato kept Kaidou fighting to a standstill and did a combo attack with Yamato. Yet he still called Yamato Yamao…
    Stay focused, cause right now you have a decision to make. Are you a man perpetually looking back at what he’s lost, or a man looking forward, to what he might become?

I won't get tied up into what exactly Luffy calls Yamato at this point because that's something that could easily change. The biggest hurdle I have now is how freaking strong Yamato is. Ace wasn't lying about Yamato being a captain. He's clearly fighting on an even playing field with a guy who's literally fought more than a dozen characters all while carrying an island. He's even drawing blood against Kaido.

Zoro and Sanji have always been the two strongest SHs and even now, they're fighting the top two commanders to equal what Luffy just did in WCI. Jinbe was intentionally given a lesser opponent in order for them to again establish themselves as the "wings" of the future PK. That means Jinbe's basically being slotted in behind them.

I find it extremely hard to believe that after all these years and all the feats those two have accomplished that a new character will suddenly be introduced that outclasses them. Hell, people have already forgotten how Jinbe was held back for years just to get Zoro and Sanji to where they are today when they can technically outrank him (on land) from a strength perspective.

but that’s what I’m going with. Look at all that Luffy knows about Yamato, and he just learned Yamato kept Kaidou fighting to a standstill and did a combo attack with Yamato. Yet he still called Yamato Yamao…
    I think the same, thought things can still change. If by the end of the fight it's still "Yamao", then it's over.

However, it's of note that "Yamao" ("Yama-dude") is kinda like Luffy calls his rivals, like "Torao" ("Tra-guy") or <insert Kid's nickname here, I can't find it> ("Jaggy").
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

People that think Jinbe was held back because of Zoro/Sanji are kind of backwards in my eyes. Because it's like ignoring how Jinbe being held back actually solves an actual story problem which is power creep. Every battle shonen story struggles with this the longer it runs.
    If Jinbe joined post fishman island there is an argument about how difficult it would be for Oda do consistently escalate/trickery against the base level of the crew including Jinbe without it coming off toriko level ridiculous at some point.
    Notice how Jinbe joined up during WCI right when the conflict was against one of the build up major threats. He's been a consistent player ever since the yonko beef started.
    Maybe that's wrong and Oda really spends a lot of brain power on making sure to uphold the monster trio dynamic although based on the manga alone I've not gotten the feel Oda cares that much about power hierarchies beyond making sure people fear the main villain of any given arc in some way.
    But if I had to bet based on the decision being based on narrative progression vs upholding a strength dynamic I'd bet on the former.

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    I think the same, thought things can still change. If by the end of the fight it's still "Yamao", then it's over.

However, it's of note that "Yamao" ("Yama-dude") is kinda like Luffy calls his rivals, like "Torao" ("Tra-guy") or <insert Kid's nickname here, I can't find it> ("Jaggy").
    Yeah, can’t recall if Luffy said “Law”, but I just remember things like “Tra-guy”.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    Zoro and Sanji have always been the two strongest SHs and even now, they're fighting the top two commanders to equal what Luffy just did in WCI. Jinbe was intentionally given a lesser opponent in order for them to again establish themselves as the "wings" of the future PK. That means Jinbe's basically being slotted in behind them.
    So Jinbe is a lesser inferior character because he doesn’t deserve to be on par with Zoro and Sanji and their superior wing dynamic?

Yeah, can’t recall if Luffy said “Law”, but I just remember things like “Tra-guy”.
    He called Law by name only once that I remember. When the Heart Pirates didn’t reckognize the nickname Torao in Zou, Luffy clarified it’s meant for Law. Law wasn’t even present then.

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    He called Law by name only once that I remember. When the Heart Pirates didn’t reckognize the nickname Torao in Zou, Luffy clarified it’s meant for Law. Law wasn’t even present then.
    Yeah, so it’s probably not a case of their names not worth remembering, but Luffy probably being more keen on nicknames at least as of late. Luffy also called him Law well after they had met a few times, so maybe it’s a matter of Luffy needing to spend some more time with Yamato before referring to her as Yamato instead of Yama-o.

Yeah, so it’s probably not a case of their names not worth remembering, but Luffy probably being more keen on nicknames at least as of late. Luffy also called him Law well after they had met a few times, so maybe it’s a matter of Luffy needing to spend some more time with Yamato before referring to her as Yamato instead of Yama-o.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/thelibr...on-corner/amp/
    There’s an SBS translation about nicknames and Luffy usually giving nicknames to folks vs using real names for his crew.

And I know the translation points to once Yamato joins the crew Luffy will then use his real name, my counterpoint was that Luffy tends to use the real name of his crew mates before he joined their crew. Like he called Brook Brook mid Thriller Bark or called Franky Franky when trusting him to get Robin etc.

There’s an SBS translation about nicknames and Luffy usually giving nicknames to folks vs using real names for his crew.

And I know the translation points to once Yamato joins the crew Luffy will then use his real name, my counterpoint was that Luffy tends to use the real name of his crew mates before he joined their crew. Like he called Brook Brook mid Thriller Bark or called Franky Franky when trusting him to get Robin etc.
    He also said Katakuri's name even though they're not friends.

Luffy used Brook’s correct name from the moment he woke up from getting captured and sent back to the Sunny with Zoro/Sanji (before finding about his backstory with Brook). Luffy also called him Brook when asking him for the favor when fighting Oars.

For Robin and Chopper, I would argue Oda wasn’t as hard pressed with those rules as he is now, but to make counterpoints…

Robin is a weird case because she wasn’t even on Luffy’s radar as a crew member until she snuck on and essentially asked to be on his crew, and Luffy I don’t think called her anything, name or nickname. He only used an incorrect name when they first met because he didn’t know his name properly, but he didn’t call him a nickname.

And Luffy didn’t even know Chopper’s name until after the flag scene when he announced it (though not to Luffy) and had his fight. And yes, from translations he called Chopper reindeer instead of his name, but it wasn’t a nickname from what I got.
    So your counterpoints to me pointing out that your weird disqualifier has no consistency in the manga is to say "Yeah but those are exceptions and Oda was more lax back then." So why can't he make an exception now? Especially with a character who clearly has a bit of an identity crisis and is still discovering himself. I think that makes more sense than saying Luffy doesn't respect Yamato, someone who held back an Emperor, enough not to use his proper name. Or maybe Oda doesn't really care about this name rule the fandom seems to have made up? Maybe he does what he wants? Obviously there are patterns to the broad strokes of his story-telling but making predictions over hyper specific naming quirks seems a bit folly, especially compared to the super broad strokes writing style of having characters declare boldly they are joining which so far in the series has always followed with the character joining.

Except in the case of Chopper and Robin when he didn't.
    Last edited by TLC; September 12th, 2021 at 01:23 PM. Reason: I was wrong about Brook though, I concede that.

Yamato being Ogre adds to the chance of her joining since Oda clearly likes the idea of having a diverse set of races/semi-humans in the crew (chopper, franky, brook, jinbe)

Even with Yamato's overwhelming strength, I think it weirdly even the crew out strength wise, first off we have to consider how common haki has become in the 2nd half of the grandline, it's now to the point where if you don't have the Advanced ryuo or Kings armament , you're not on the level. We also have to consider the unknown of Vegapunk's experiment and what people like Issho and other WG heavy weights saw that make them know without a doubt they could discard the Warlord and still maintain the power balance of the seas.

Just speaking specifically crew dynamic wise, I think Yamato and Jinbe in particular makes the crew well rounded. Just for argument's sake let's say Luffy is now on a seperate Yonko busting tier, now you have Zoro and Sanji playing the role of his "Wings", with Jinbe being just as strong as them but implied to be just below them based off who he'll be relied on to defeat compared to the others. Ironically or not, it's essentially the Beast Pirates' hierarchy, but strength wise with King and Queen being Super Elites, Jack being considered an Elite as well but more or less the bridge between the All-star and Tobi-roppo rank.

Brilliant part about it is, Yamato still remains the outlier like she's currently for the Beast Pirates. Super strong , but since they lack the experience and notoriety they'll remain the trump card even after they join the crew.

Luffy
    Zoro , Sanji
    Jinbe, Yamato
    Franky, Robin, Brook
    Ussop, Nami, Chopper

Considering the crews miniable size, they were always gonna have to end more well rounded.
    Last edited by Blowfish; September 12th, 2021 at 02:40 PM.

"The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terror"

Quote Originally Posted by TLC View Post
    So your counterpoints to me pointing out that your weird disqualifier has no consistency in the manga is to say "Yeah but those are exceptions and Oda was more lax back then." So why can't he make an exception now? Especially with a character who clearly has a bit of an identity crisis and is still discovering himself. I think that makes more sense than saying Luffy doesn't respect Yamato, someone who held back an Emperor, enough not to use his proper name. Or maybe Oda doesn't really care about this name rule the fandom seems to have made up? Maybe he does what he wants? Obviously there are patterns to the broad strokes of his story-telling but making predictions over hyper specific naming quirks seems a bit folly, especially compared to the super broad strokes writing style of having characters declare boldly they are joining which so far in the series has always followed with the character joining.

Except in the case of Chopper and Robin when he didn't.
    what was the nickname he called Robin? And Chopper was just called Reindeer, not a nickname?

There’s other examples too of friendly allies that Luffy doesn’t use there real names for like Bon-Chan, Iva-Chan, Ice-Ossan. There’s also Cabbagges and Chicken-head. Crybaby-osshi.

Finally if we were really going for broad strokes as the criteria Law marked all the checklist in Dressrosa but he didn’t join either (and he has a dream now like Robin in finding out the Will of D so there’s that)

Closed Thread

Thread Information