View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
368. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

189 51.36%
  • Shinobu

1 0.27%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc)

1 0.27%
  • Momo

9 2.45%
  • Tama

9 2.45%
  • Carrot

68 18.48%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

7 1.90%
  • Caribou

6 1.63%
  • Other

28 7.61%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

50 13.59%
Closed Thread
Page 465 of 506 FirstFirst ... 365 415 455 463 464 465 466 467 475 ... LastLast
Results 9,281 to 9,300 of 10112

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

If Oda had just gone with that design on the right, we could have avoided all the Namiface nonsense. That hair part in the middle, rather than exposing the forehead, along with the much thicker sides, completely changes the look. Though I guess that would limit future possibilities with different hairstyles if it had to always work around the horns.

And on the bottom left... was that an attempt at giving him a face scar?

Interesting that, at least at that stage, he hadn't started doing the dark spot on the hair. that was a later addition.
    Last edited by Robby; September 7th, 2021 at 09:56 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    The ridiculous amount of exposition seem to be balancing Yamato's late introduction tho.
    Not sure how late this is at this point since Luffy met Yamato in Chapter 983, and we're already a year past that into Chapter 1024 so far.

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

I think she should have had the same slanted eye shape as Kaido instead of the usual round shape. Would make her look more intimidating, too.

Yamato was late to Wano, but was super early in Onigashima. We've been in here for a year, and it'll be for at least a few months more, and he's been one of the main focuses pretty much that entire time.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny B. Decent View Post
    I think she should have had the same slanted eye shape as Kaido instead of the usual round shape. Would make her look more intimidating, too.
    Sure, I made the same point early on in the first few weeks, but that's not long-term Hero look.

It's changed up some since then.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Does anyone remember which chapter was in the WSJ issue with Luffy and Yamato on the cover, which Yamato's figure is based on?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon D. Luffy View Post
    The more I see advertising for Yamato like this is making me think this is a huge sign that she might join even more? First the towels, and now figurines? Hmmm. Or maybe it is all a coincidence with the timing.

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post

He's also offloaded a bit of that onto Law now with the Will of D stuff.
    Speaking of this, kinda wish Oda had another D. character in Roger's crew just to have an excuse of another D. character join the strawhats. Always wanted to see that dynamic with the crew (someone unrelated to Luffy or Ace obviously).

I kinda see it as just another feat when a character is strong enough or charismatic enough or w/e X Factor enough to get a D. character to join their crew (and have them actually be loyal).

Guess Oda is kinda doing that with Law now as an ally and being interested in what the Will of D really means but when I look at D. characters like Garp, Ace, and Saul then personality types like Koby, Sabo, and Rayleigh he could've easily crafted a character as a strawhat to serve that purpose since Luffy obviously doesn't care.

Ah well, hopefully Law gets enough focus down the line when he solves that puzzle and we get those revelations. Before him, I figured we'd get the answers in a Roger flashback.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Namiface nonsense.
    Yes, like how Robin is Nami with a slant nose.

Do you wanna borrow it? Khamolen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coookie View Post
    Does anyone remember which chapter was in the WSJ issue with Luffy and Yamato on the cover, which Yamato's figure is based on?
    992 according to this

Quote Originally Posted by Khamolen View Post
    992 according to this
    Thanks, appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post
    Yes, like how Robin is Nami with a slant nose.
    Modern Robin maybe. Oda's homogenized a lot after drawing them a million times.

Classic Robin not even close. The almond eyes were super unique, the nose was super unique, her jawline wa more angular, and the hairstyle stood out too. She was something straight out of yellow submarine. When she first showed up, Robin looked nothing like any character in the series.

Quote Originally Posted by astagadragon View Post
    I agree. Yamato is convenient as heck.

We're about to fight a Yonko! Suddenly the child of said Yonko helping us.

There are mysteries in Oden's journal! Suddenly said child of Yonko have the journal.

Etc.

Not to mention, Yamato is loaded too. Tama's connection with Ace? She has it! Tama's memorable crying moment when she ate real food? Yamato also has it! Connection with Minks' so called Dawn? Hey, Yamato knew that too! Sulong? Yamato can go sulong like with her DF!! Coating CoC, a new concept? Yamato does that too!

She is TOO convenient that I said she's a literal shortcut to the endgame portions of OP. Neato.
    So relevance to the plot is convenience? lol

Discovered Stowaway astagadragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post
    So relevance to the plot is convenience? lol
    I mean, she is too convenient.

Which is nice, actually. She has all the markings of a great and memorable character!
    "The rain has ceased, and we have been graced by another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it." - Elidibus

About the no-space-left, wasn't there an actual hint to an eleventh member right in the corner, with the ボレロ writing? I mean, if the botanic just became archaeologist, maybe the bolero just became... whatever Yamato or Carrot would be.

Quote Originally Posted by rayleigh92 View Post
    Carrot sneaked on the Sunny when they left Zou, not asking or requesting anyone. IF Carrot is going to join, I expect something like that, with the crew ready to leave Wano, all of them beginning to party for new nakama Yamato and then "wha-t?! Carrot is near Luffy

Now I kinda wish Oda had gone for the stockier design on the right. Not nearly as likeable as badass waifu Yamato, but it would have made a perfect ogre child

I assume he became Franky given the weird hair, chin, and robot eye.

Did Oda plan to introduce all those characters in the original five year story plan he had?

Quote Originally Posted by starlalilymoon View Post
    The more I see advertising for Yamato like this is making me think this is a huge sign that she might join even more? First the towels, and now figurines? Hmmm. Or maybe it is all a coincidence with the timing.
    It could be a sign that Yamato's joining, but it could also be taking advantage of Yamato's massive popularity. (seeing as she placed eleventh in a worldwide popularity poll before even appearing in the anime) From what I've read, Law was treated in a similar way in earlier pieces of merchandise.

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Possibly but I like to think he'll still produce that character design at some point in the story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphin View Post
    Did Oda plan to introduce all those characters in the original five year story plan he had?
    Pretty much. All would've been complete probably halfway through the Paradise half of the Grandline.

Just consider how short a time it took for Zoro and Nami to join and then the arcs where nobody actually joined starting with Loguetown. In a different sequence, Brook probably is the 10th to join.
    Last edited by Zik; September 8th, 2021 at 11:31 AM.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Wait, what ? How old is that Yamato design sheet, exactly ? I had assumed Yams was a comparatively recent character.

Closed Thread

Thread Information