View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
368. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

189 51.36%
  • Shinobu

1 0.27%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc)

1 0.27%
  • Momo

9 2.45%
  • Tama

9 2.45%
  • Carrot

68 18.48%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

7 1.90%
  • Caribou

6 1.63%
  • Other

28 7.61%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

50 13.59%
Closed Thread
Page 462 of 506 FirstFirst ... 362 412 452 460 461 462 463 464 472 ... LastLast
Results 9,221 to 9,240 of 10112

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Also the title of vol. 100 is Color of the Supreme King.

Do ppl seriously think Sanji isn't getting CoC when he's on a cover with 4 other characters that happen to have it?

Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    Like I said before, Carrot is the Paulie of Wano.

Great first impression, but when the time came for the protagonists to rise up in the big bad final battle, she was simply in the background dealing with some creep.
    Oh no, don't do my guy Paulie like that.

Had a way more developed character and a unique fighting style to him only.

If anything Carrot's more like Tilestone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kfunk View Post
    Rebecca's flashback was more developped than Yamato's one in this chapter. I don't see what this change
    It the flashback stopped with this you'd have a point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghidorah Guy View Post
    Mentioned it before, but my guts tells me Oda's going to be cheeky and kinda troll the fanbase by opting for a scenario which'll demonstrate how both sides of the debate were both right and wrong in certain ways.

Carrot and Yamato could both join, officially or otherwise, as stowaways. He may even spill cold water on the whole "Will Yamato upend the Monster Trio???" question by nerfing their power level; perhaps by means of a Jewelry Bonney appearance or some other method, with both Momo and Yamato having their "stolen childhoods" returned to them in literal fashion.

De-aged ( and depowered ) Yamato thus joins on as a potential cabin-boy/apprentice. Everyone wins, nothing is settled, fuck you, Wororororo.
    Ignoring the wild speculation, Yamato's childhood can't be compared to Momo literally not having one.

Yamato just had a negative childhood. Still had one. No different than Robin's arguably even worse childhood of having to be on the run for 20 years as a criminal merely for being a survivor. Yet nobody's talking about de-aging Robin to get another go at childhood.

Besides that Yamato is 28 and has the mind, however effected by his upbringing, of a 28 year old. De-aging him would just make him a 28 year old in a child's body. Unlike Momo who would just be going back to his regular 8 year old self.
    Last edited by Zik; September 5th, 2021 at 10:37 PM.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

- This is the 2nd part of a 3-part poster. This is the mid portion of the image, but it also doubles as Chapter 1,024's color spread. And, just like regular color spread, it's about the crew doing stuff. In this case, the crew is defending its treasure, under the legacy of Gold Roger.

- What's more interesting is that this seems to be the full, including honorary crewmates [b]Vivi[b] and Karoo, and the never officially crewmate but certainly a would-be one if he had the chance, Bentham/Mr. 2 Bon Kurei! We also have our lost ship Going Merry, with the surprising cameo of Woop Slap.

- Boa Hancock, who also appeared in the 1st piece, is notable for being the only other ally joining the Straw Hat formation. As I've commented in part 1, it's surprising that she's also defending the treasure, side-by-side with them. Plus, she got a new color scheme that matches Salome's, and is the only character that is using an outfit that was never featured in the story. Are these hints of a storyline waiting to happen? I make no secret that I think Hancock will be the last crewmate, and that she will be a center character in the arc following Wano, so this got me really excited.

- As predicted in the last piece, Crocodile is here, doing his barchan attack. Enel is also here, as I expected, but I predicted that based on lightning that was actually Nami's. Lucky guess, uh?

- I was expecting an area of the image dedicated to the marines to the right, in opposition to the Warlord on the left. I was wrong, it's actually dedicated for the Worst Generation! This includes Apoo, X-Drake, Kid, Killer, Urouge and Bonney. This leaves out Capone Bege (whom we can see a hint of to the right of the image) Hawkins (who's probably near Bege), who will probably be in the 3rd piece of the poster. Obviously, Law, as an ally, was on the 1st piece, so he's absent here. It's also interesting that many of these characters were not in the Top 50. Oda considered them important enough to be included.

- I'm surprised that Kid and Killer are featured as enemies. I expected them to be allies in the 3rd piece, opposite to Law and Rosinante. This may be a hint of their future purpose in the story. Unlike Law, they'll likely continue to be rivals to the Straw Hats.

- To the right we can also see a hint of Sabo.

----------------------

Predictions for 3rd part? Well, predicting it is kind of cheating, since Shueisha already showed the full picture in promotional material. But I'll make a notes about which characters from Top 50 must be in it: Shirahoshi, Izou, Blackbeard, Garp, Lucci, Koby, Tashigi, Aokiji, Buggy, Rayleigh, Whitebeard, Smoker, Marco, Shanks, Carrot.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

Wonder where Blackbeard will fit in. Will he be in the background like other Emperors (Big Mom and Kaidou on the left) or will he be in the piece, opposing Lufft and the Marines? (Leaving Whitebeard for the last slot in the background, together qith Shanks)

Quote Originally Posted by Chams View Post
    Wonder where Blackbeard will fit in. Will he be in the background like other Emperors (Big Mom and Kaidou on the left) or will he be in the piece, opposing Lufft and the Marines? (Leaving Whitebeard for the last slot in the background, together qith Shanks)
    Due to an official video from Shueisha, We already have access to a version of the full poster, thought part of it is distorted by angles. You can see it here:

Spoiler:

DISCLAIMER: Image is not a spoiler because it comes from an official announcement video. Redon posted it in the 7th Character Poll Thread. Shift gave it his approval. Don't beat me, please.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

I still find it weird Whitebeard is the only emperor that doesn't get to appear as a big head in the background, and that Buggy is the only Warlord not with the rest.

I also find it weird the spot they put Carrot in. She's away from anyone who she ever interacted with.

By guess, I expected she would be near the Straw Hats, instead she appears to be opposite to Yamato, both being as far away from the SH crew as possible. Does that mean an "or", "neither" or "both"?

Carrot's placement next to Blackbeard can only mean one thing.

She's his 10th titanic captain. Epic foreshadowing.

And she seems to be gunning for Ace. It only reminds me of Artur's meme.

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinds View Post

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E0n8FQQW...g&name=900x900
    Tell me more.

Now this is a twist I can get behind.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Plot twist: no one ever said there was only one traitor in the alliance.

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    I also find it weird the spot they put Carrot in. She's away from anyone who she ever interacted with.

By guess, I expected she would be near the Straw Hats, instead she appears to be opposite to Yamato, both being as far away from the SH crew as possible. Does that mean an "or", "neither" or "both"?
    I think it's a similar situation like Boa. She's an ally and was in the top 10, so Oda wanted her towards the front, but she's the only character from Zou (like how Boa is the only one from Amazon Lily) so she has no one else to really be next to. So she's just been slotted into the only spot there really is left.

Quote Originally Posted by black-leg jex View Post
    I think it's a similar situation like Boa. She's an ally and was in the top 10, so Oda wanted her towards the front, but she's the only character from Zou (like how Boa is the only one from Amazon Lily) so she has no one else to really be next to. So she's just been slotted into the only spot there really is left.
    I don't think that comparison is correct. Hancock was put by the side of the Straw Hats, almost in formation with them. Carrot was put all by herself in the corner. If the rule for placing the character was the same, either both would be near the Straw Hats, or both would be isolated.

Position-wise, it feels more like Carrot is comparable to Yamato. Each were placed in a side of the picture. However, Yamato has other Top 50 Wano characters to be grouped with, while Carrot does not have any mink friend that reached Top 50 (still, Oda could have added some on his own volition if he so wished)..

The only non-Top-50 featured fighters were those that were already part of a prominent group in the pic. Oda probably didn't think it would look good to just have some Warlords and Supernova there.

That said, I'm surprised the other 2 OG Admirals weren't featured. Guess Aokiji really is on his own according to Oda.

Also, Weevil is so forgettable he doesn't even make it with the other Warlords.

Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    The only non-Top-50 featured fighters were those that were already part of a prominent group in the pic. Oda probably didn't think it would look good to just have some Warlords and Supernova there.

That said, I'm surprised the other 2 OG Admirals weren't featured. Guess Aokiji really is on his own according to Oda.

Also, Weevil is so forgettable he doesn't even make it with the other Warlords.
    I understand why include all the OG Warlords. They've been factoring in the story since the beginning. They are the reason One Piece is so long.

Notice that the non-OG Warlords are either missing or not included in the group: Law and Buggy are on their own, Weevil is not important enough to be there.

But I'm surprised Oda felt the need th include all Supernovas. I just don't see them as that important. Kid, Drake and Law are most popular, Capone was important recently, and Killer makes sense because of Kid, but I don't think the likes of Urouge or Bonney needed to be included, and Hawkins and Apoo became just Kaido's underlings. Anyway, if Oda decided to do it, who am I to question him?

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    I don't think that comparison is correct. Hancock was put by the side of the Straw Hats, almost in formation with them. Carrot was put all by herself in the corner. If the rule for placing the character was the same, either both would be near the Straw Hats, or both would be isolated.
    No dude. So that front line are all the characters from the top 10. The only exceptions are Katakuri, who is there because of Big Mom and being the most popular member of her crew (14th overall) and Chopper, who is there instead of Sanji, probably because of space reasons.

Hancock is where she is, rather than the far side, is for two reasons: to keep her in-line with all the other Warlords and because there are no other Amazon Lily characters so she doesn't need to be around anyone else. This last point is why Law is where he is instead of being by the other Supernova, because he has been placed wit all the Dressrosa characters like Corazon and Bartolomeo.

On the 3rd page, Ace and Sabo are next to each other and are posing with each other, and if they were on the far end then they would be blocking Blackbeard's face. Carrot's on her own though, so Oda can put her wherever she needs to be on the front row, because there isn't anyone else from Zou that she needs to be near.

Honestly, I don't think Yamato and Carrot's positions are meant to mirror each other because, they clearly don't considering the placement of Oden. If anything Yamato's placement was determined by the [current] 'family' they belong to:

>> Kaido's son - Yamato is placed near him (as far as we know Yamato is Kaido's only child)
    >> Linlin's children - Katakuri and Pudding are placed near her
    >> Shanks - Buggy, who is like his brother (they bicker like brothers), is placed near him instead of with the other Shichibukai
    >> Blackbeard - in the same poster piece as his 'father' (Whitebeard). Not sure what Teach's connection to Shanks is but they are in the same piece
    >> Whitebeard's children - Ace, Izo, Teach

Regardless of how Yamato was treated by Kaido, he still considers Kaido his FATHER.

And when you REALLY look at the poster in terms of the narrative of the story, Oden and Yamato's positions make complete sense - they are the ones who will be the most influential (at least at this point in time before the story of D is covered) in seeing the completion of Joy Boy's intentions/will i.e. opening Wano's borders. Yamato leading the charge is such an Oden thing to do.

You could even argue the poster is meant to continue the imagery of the volume 100 cover with Yamato and Ace on either side of Luffy.

From certain perspectives, the poster ADDS to Yamato's chances of being a Straw Hat Pirate than dashing it.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Also want to add to the above post in regards to the theme of family:

>> Oden - Hiyori, his daughter, is positioned near him. If Momonosuke were ranked higher, he would be placed near Oden

The reason Ace isn't placed near Roger is because Ace considers Whitebeard his father. But given how Roger is the Pirate King, all individuals with a heart toward the sea are children of his hence his position as the central background figure.

Would Koby be considered somewhat of a grandchild to Garp (the grandchild Garp wanted who would follow in his footsteps)?

Can't really tell if Weevil is in the third piece of the poster but if he isn't, it may just be confirmation that he isn't really Whitebeard's child.

Can anyone see where Koby is? Having a hard time locating him.

Koby is directly to the left of Garp's head.

Also, while the Top 10 are generally towards the front, Oda also put Robin pretty far into the background.
    Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Jimbei, Carrot, Vivi, Smoker

"ONE PIECE, IT EXISTS" - The Great Pirate Edward Newgate

Anything less would be 16 characters of uncivilized.

Discovered Stowaway astagadragon's Avatar

Oh, now discussing a color spread is fine when last week I was attacked when discussing voice actor? (Granted I was misinformed, but still)

IMO the colorspread's positioning and composition only mean 1 thing... that is, to make everyone looks cool in battle position. Also to make it like a poster for a huge blockbuster superhero movie. No need to over analyze it.
    "The rain has ceased, and we have been graced by another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it." - Elidibus

I really don't think it's a matter of Carrot or Yamato / Carrot vs. Yamato. They're entirely separate characters introduced in different story arcs and would serve a different purpose in the story if either of them joins.

Everything we have seen from those early concept sketches indicates Jimbei completes the crew as Oda originally imagined it and if the crew were to reach capacity at ten, the Straw Hats would already be complete with Vivi who, as far as I'm concerned, is the only completely sure bet.

The Vivre Card sketches show Oda hadn't really settled on Yamato's appearance until recently and Rose of Versailles may have even prompted him to change Yamato's gender - which suggest that if she joins, she represents an expansion of his original vision for the crew. An addition created at a later point after the start of publication. And if Oda's willing to expand from the original 'ten' to include Yamato, why stop there? I'm not saying the crew is going to balloon in size, but there's no reason to think Oda decided to just tac on one more to his vision and call it a day.

That said, I think Vivi already demonstrates a willingness on Oda's part to adapt, add to, and change his vision for the crew even after the start of publication.

So I guess what I'm saying is there's no reason to assume it has to be Carrot or Yamato as neither seem to fit the criteria for 'character imagined from the very beginning to complete Luffy's crew of ten'.
    Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Jimbei, Carrot, Vivi, Smoker

"ONE PIECE, IT EXISTS" - The Great Pirate Edward Newgate

Closed Thread

Thread Information