View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
368. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

189 51.36%
  • Shinobu

1 0.27%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc)

1 0.27%
  • Momo

9 2.45%
  • Tama

9 2.45%
  • Carrot

68 18.48%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

7 1.90%
  • Caribou

6 1.63%
  • Other

28 7.61%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

50 13.59%
Closed Thread
Page 457 of 506 FirstFirst ... 357 407 447 455 456 457 458 459 467 ... LastLast
Results 9,121 to 9,140 of 10112

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Some thoughts after chapter 1,024:

- This is the first time that I saw Yamato as a character rather than just a plot device for exposition.

- Remember we talking about foreshadowing a flashback? This was foreshadowed, but Oda was really clever in hiding Yamato's mentor in Zoro's character arc. Really good diversion, Oda, I didn't see it coming at all. Another storytelling trick to learn in that.

- This flashback carries a lot of potential, but there's some things that people should be aware of about.

- First, is that this is not a traditional flashback that cuts the present action to tell a tangential story. It seems more like the first in a series of flashbacks, like Vivi's or Rebecca/Kyro's. Either that, or it's a new flashback format, used in other media but never by Oda, in which the scenes from past go back and forth to complement the story being told in the present. However, I must add that using a different format of flashback does not reduce Yamato's chances at all. The content of that flashback is what matters in the end. Also, this flashback may transition into a traditional one later, it may just be a prelude. Let's see.

- Second, I'd say having 3 samurai as mentors may not favor Yamato's chances of joining. We know of Yamato's childhood desires, they've been hammered down many times over this act. But we don't know how these mentors will influence Yamato going forward, what kind of will or objectives he will from them. This flashback may reinforce Yamato's original dream further, but it could instead further cement Yamato as Wano's guardian. Because it's too early to tell which direction this will go, we need to wait for more scenes to judge.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

3 mentors does not favor him joining but considering all the other factors involved, at this point it would be narratively dishonest to not have him join the Strawhats.

You can only take 'red herrings' so far, and really we're quite well beyond any red herrings here.

At best we can still discuss merits of other characters still joining, but we're quite well beyond any argument against Yamato actually joining when all signs are pointing straight at it narratively.

Yamato having such powerful conqueror's haki gives me some pause - she's far more proficient than Zoro is presently.

Obviously there were narrative reasons, but I also believe Oda dragged his feet on Jimbei joining partially so that he doesn't upset the power dynamic of the monster trio which has just recently been reasserted with Zoro and Sanji fighting King and Queen, referred to as Luffy's two wings. Which may even mean them surpassing Jimbei's bounty after Wano.

So far Luffy is the only one who can control Conqueror's Haki and Zoro is just beginning to awaken his.

There are certainly a lot of things in Yamato's favor and I do imagine this small vignette from her past is the first in a series of small flashbacks focused on Kaido and Yamato's backstory. The biggest thing in her favor is the hint of more yet to be told story which can establish Yamato as her own character when she eventually sets aside the desire to play the part of Oden.

But for me, every time something seems to move the needle toward her joining, another points in the opposite direction. Which is why I still say there is a tremendous amount of uncertainty regarding Yamato.
    Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Jimbei, Carrot, Vivi, Smoker

"ONE PIECE, IT EXISTS" - The Great Pirate Edward Newgate

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    3 mentors does not favor him joining but considering all the other factors involved, at this point it would be narratively dishonest to not have him join the Strawhats.

You can only take 'red herrings' so far, and really we're quite well beyond any red herrings here.
    Don't confuse your expectations for the author's plans. Luffy never said "yes". Luffy never even called Yamato by name. The story is ongoing, and a lot still needs to happen. Until then, whatever "proof" you accepted is your own mind trying to predict a puzzle's image without all of its pieces assembled.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

By the way, after reading the official translation, something called my attention.

The early scanlations had Yamato say he'd fight for Wano in 20 years, then go to the sea and become stronger.
    The official one has Yamato saying he'd fight for Wano in 20 years, because he would already have gone to the sea to become stronger.

For readers with access to the original and understanding of japanese, can anyone comment which version is more accurate. I'd usually say it's Stephen's, but in this case I'd like extra confirmation.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

Can't wait for Yamato to sail the seas with Luffy and get stronger in the process.

I think Ushimaru is extra dead, but if it isn't I hope he tells Yamato about sending his family to the East Blue and asking her to deliver a message, sort of like Brook who has to meet with Laboon at some point.

I also think there's nothing wrong with the crew that will surpass Roger's, to have the same amount of CoC users in it.

Quote Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post
    Can't wait for Yamato to sail the seas with Luffy and get stronger in the process.

https://i.ibb.co/bWDhFVg/8-E2935-EB-...4-AE28-DA6.png
    The official translation changes the priorities, thought...

Seems like we just checked another box in Yamato's crew prospect: the mentor. There was a discussion on whether Oden counted or not (I liked the idea of a posthumous mentor) but I am all in to watch those 3 guys go down to save Yamato and feel sad for every panel of it.

I imagine the 3 samurai stay to die and Yamato eats his DF. Or maybe they lead Yamato to his DF first, to make him stronger, but the order does not matter much right now. What's making me wonder is... what happens then?

We know Yamato has been trapped in Onigashima for 20 years due to the explosive cuffs. But here Kaido was willing to kill Yamato because of "Oden".

So, I guess the DF is so valuable that Kaido chooses to spare Yamato for the next 20 years, keeping him in a sort of "open prison" in Onigashima. What's their relationship like in this time? The flashback with Ace made it seem like Yamato was a sort of protector of Onigashima, that he was "chained" by his father's will for some reason, until Ace convinced him to rebel. Yamato mentioned he tried to attack Kaido several times and was always beaten, did these fights happen before Ace arrive, or did they start only after it?

Color me intrigued.

Kid Yamato looks so cute and adorable.

Kaido is such a bastard but I wonder what his fixation with Onigasima really is. Out of the all the areas he could choose to settle when he arrived in Wano Kuni, he chose Onigashima. When he learned Oden was heading for him, he moved to prevent the battlefield being Onigashima. Kaido is now going through great effort to relocate Onigasima to the Wano mainland AND make it the new capital of Wano Kuni which he plans to rename New Onigashima. Kaido could have saved a lot of energy by just taking over the Flower Capital, why the need to focus so heavily on Onigashima? What does Onigashima mean to Kaido and why is it the only Island that was separate from the rest of Wano Kuni? Does Kaido have a history with the people that once inhabited Onigashima? Suspiciously, while there are seven Islands that make up Wano Kuni, there are only six main Wano Families. Could there have been a seventh Wano family in the past before the Void Century?

If that is the case, this could potentially create a path forward for Yamato to explore his family history by journeying across the Grand Line and exploring the world. Similar to how Oden learned about the Kozuki history, Yamato may learn about his family history as he travels onboard the Thousand Sunny - a clan that challenged Kozuki family when the decision to close the Wano Kuni border was being made. Curiously, the features of Onigashima suggest a connection to Giants which is a race that has to yet have a story arc around. If a story around Onigashima's history involves Giants and Yamato's family is intimately connected to the Island, there would be relevance in having Yamato present when the story of Giants is covered.

The manner in how the Yamato and Kaido battle progresses will be important. As the two continue to battle, deeper layers of their heart will be exposed and a greater understanding they will each have for the other will be reached. I don't see the relationship between Kaido and Yamato remaining as such. Through this battle and the upcoming battle Kaido will have against Luffy, he will realise the weight of Yamato's choices. Kaido may not understand those choices but I believe he will come to acknowledge them as he is defeated and everything he built and worked for over the decades dissipates in front of him. The relevance of Joy Boy and the person who will carry on what Joy Boy started will be integral in Kaido's perspective going forward. Depending on what Kaido really seeks, Yamato may end up continuing that.

Yamato does not want to reject his father as is conveyed through the numerous times Yamato is surprised at his father placing him in fatal situations. Deep within Yamato's heart, he sees Kaido as a father and continues to believe that the father that exist within his heart is a reflection, at least in part, of the man now crushing Wano Kuni under his tyranny. This is why Yamato seeks to understand the reasoning behind Kaido's choices and actions.

I love the focus currently on the two and I am excited to see how their conflict progresses. Also those three nameless Samurai are definitely the former Daimyo's of Wano (the three that were able to challenge Kaido when targeting Orochi after Oden was executed).
    Last edited by Syphin; September 5th, 2021 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    Don't confuse your expectations for the author's plans. Luffy never said "yes". Luffy never even called Yamato by name. The story is ongoing, and a lot still needs to happen. Until then, whatever "proof" you accepted is your own mind trying to predict a puzzle's image without all of its pieces assembled.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

By the way, after reading the official translation, something called my attention.

The early scanlations had Yamato say he'd fight for Wano in 20 years, then go to the sea and become stronger.
    The official one has Yamato saying he'd fight for Wano in 20 years, because he would already have gone to the sea to become stronger.

For readers with access to the original and understanding of japanese, can anyone comment which version is more accurate. I'd usually say it's Stephen's, but in this case I'd like extra confirmation.
    That interpretation isn't logical since Yamato already stated he wanted to go out to sea in the present, minutes before fighting Kaido in the war foreseen by Oden 20 years ago.

That pretty much confirms Yamato's desire to leave is mostly unrelated to this big fight. Stephen's translations isn't incorrect in that regard since "I'll have gone to sea" can also be read as "I'll go to sea". It really depends on how much you value semantics.
    Last edited by King Cannon; September 5th, 2021 at 11:14 AM.

The official translation changes the priorities, thought...

https://i.imgur.com/QU9PK2w.png
    Can't comment on the translation itself, but I think if we look at past comments by Yams, I think it's pretty clear that he'd have taken the "Go out to sea, get stronger, then come back for the big battle" path if it were an option. He very clearly wanted to go with Ace four years ago, but the explody-cuff situation forced him to remain on Onigashima against his will. He also mentions his frustration about how having accidentally eaten a Devil Fruit robbed him of his option to just swim way.

Taken together, I think that implies that Yamato would have left a long time ago if he could, though given his repeated insistence on still going out to sea once the battle against his father is finished, I don't think it really changes his priorities that much. Yams always intended to be a part of this battle.

Welcome to Rokkenjima.

I have only 2 problems with Yamato even if she is a lock.

1. What will be her role? She can't be the Oden because Oden was seeked by Roger for his ability to read the Poneglyphs. So what has Oda in store? Writing a log keeper journal? This brings me to problem 2

2. Yeah I got she wants to go out on adventures... But are the SHs fitting for it? They already have seen enough and like Oda said... There are in their final phase... Oden at least went back to Skypia and Co to see the world while Yamato won't see as much.

Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    That interpretation isn't logical since Yamato already stated he wanted to go out to sea in the present, minutes before fighting Kaido in the war foreseen by Oden 20 years ago.

That pretty much confirms Yamato's desire to leave is mostly unrelated to this big fight. Stephen's translations isn't incorrect in that regard since "I'll have gone to sea" can also be read as "I'll go to sea". It really depends on how much you value semantics.
    Yep, whatever the translation, Yamato still felt trapped until Luffy freed her from the cuffs and will set sail with him after freeing not only herself from her chained heart, but the rest of Wano as well.

Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    Doesn't really matter since Yamato reiterated that he wanted to go out to sea just a few minutes before fighting Kaido in the present, otherwise why request to leave with Luffy if he was already planning to fight with Luffy this night?

That pretty much confirms Yamato's desire to leave has remained ongoing since 20 years ago and mostly unrelated to this big fight.
    It does matter, because, in the end, Yamato may be conflicted to have to choose between Wano or adventuring.

Is the sea Yamato's truest objective, or is it just a symbol of freedom for him?
    Is Yamato's desire to free Wano just a duty he placed on his own shoulders, or is it out of deep love for the country and its people?

There's a lot of potential in the details we still don't have. Information given during a story's development often changes or overrules the details given in the start. That's why it's kept for later stages of the plot, after all. There's no point in detailing the end at the story's start.

BTW, it seems that the official version is closer in intent to the author's words, so it's a really important change in priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by Kishido View Post

1. What will be her role? She can't be the Oden because Oden was seeked by Roger for his ability to read the Poneglyphs. So what has Oda in store? Writing a log keeper journal? This brings me to problem 2

2. Yeah I got she wants to go out on adventures... But are the SHs fitting for it? They already have seen enough and like Oda said... There are in their final phase... Oden at least went back to Skypia and Co to see the world while Yamato won't see as much.
    Something like bodyguard I figured. I also find it interesting how some say it’s too late for new members considering how Jinbe was largely absent for their New World Adventures.
    Last edited by electricmastro; September 5th, 2021 at 03:07 PM.

One should also take into account that after Yamato's interaction with Ace and his execution ~two years later, Yamato became aware of Luffy's importance and the role he served in the 'Dawn' expressed within Oden's journal. At present, Yamato's wish to sail the sea is not only entrenched in his desire to explore the world (and be free) but also in the desire to see through the final wishes of Oden - open Wano's borders AND assist the person who will complete what Joy Boy began and Roger left incomplete. This mirrors the dialogue Yamato exchanged with Luffy when he introduced himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Kishido View Post

In regards to 2, I expect the Sky Islands to feature again during the Elbaf Island Arc (Urouge will be relevant in this arc). The Straw Hat Pirates will also revisit Fish-Man Island if Luffy is the one in Madam Shyarly's vision. And ancient colossal Elephants will be relevant again in the future when Momonosuke summons them.

There's still plenty of story to tell.

Yamato's role will come, and it's probably going to be an interesting one at that.

Yamato has been repeatedly been saying his desire to set sail for awhile now, and now we have a flashback from 20 years ago reinforcing that desire. I just think there's some nit picking here and there about it.

As for the 'too strong' argument, doesn't matter. Luffy, Zoro, Sanji are going to make great strides by the end of this arc and with more room to grow. Things will level out like usual.
    Here’s how Naruto should end: Last panel is Naruto standing proudly over Konohagakure. Slowly zoom out to reveal Luffy staring into a snowglobe with a miniature Konoha inside it. Usopp asks him what he’s doing. Luffy replies “Thinkin’ bout ninjas! Ninjas are cool!” and then chucks it off the ship

It does matter, because, in the end, Yamato may be conflicted to have to choose between Wano or adventuring.

Is the sea Yamato's truest objective, or is it just a symbol of freedom for him?
    Is Yamato's desire to free Wano just a duty he placed on his own shoulders, or is it out of deep love for the country and its people?

There's a lot of potential in the details we still don't have. Information given during a story's development often changes or overrules the details given in the start. That's why it's kept for later stages of the plot, after all. There's no point in detailing the end at the story's start.

BTW, it seems that the official version is closer in intent to the author's words, so it's a really important change in priorities.
    The story has consistently reiterated that Yamato wants to leave though. It was affirmed 20 years ago, four years ago and in the present, four times in total.

So far, there's no evidence Yamato feels conflicted, especially because Ushimaru and Ace have both supported Yamato's desires. The only person that wants him stuck in Wano is the main villain, so it's clear that staying is narratively the "bad choice" to make, because it's a choice attributed to his personal enemy.

You should know the kind of writer Oda is by now. He's honest about showing what his characters want, especially when it comes to freedom. No character has ever been shown unsympathetic for wanting to leave their roots. If going to sea is what Yamato considers a symbol of freedom, then that's his goal.
    Last edited by King Cannon; September 5th, 2021 at 11:36 AM.

Closed Thread

Thread Information