View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
368. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

189 51.36%
  • Shinobu

1 0.27%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc)

1 0.27%
  • Momo

9 2.45%
  • Tama

9 2.45%
  • Carrot

68 18.48%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

7 1.90%
  • Caribou

6 1.63%
  • Other

28 7.61%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

50 13.59%
Closed Thread
Page 377 of 506 FirstFirst ... 277 327 367 375 376 377 378 379 387 427 477 ... LastLast
Results 7,521 to 7,540 of 10112

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    I'm not sure how "seeing the world" for Carrot would be any different for Yamato. Her main motivations isn't solely focused on defeating Pero. If it were and that would resolve her character arc, then Oda probably would've done it by now. He had her lose to Pero for a reason.
    That reason was she never stood a chance. Also keep in mind she had help from Wanda who is probably a better fighter. Besides that, there's a reason he didn't even depict the fight with Pero and that was cuz it wasnt important enough to include in the manga.

If the only thing Carrot related is why Pedro's words came to her at that time its really not a lot. She has no other motivations.

The "more" for the character that is left doesn't seem to be a lot.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

My point is people pointing out interactions with the crew are seemingly glossing over everything that happened between Carrot and the SHs for those 200 chapters that you referenced. By comparison, Yamato has had the least amount of interactions with the SHs between their intro and the current chapter. After debuting almost 40 chapters ago, how many has he actually spent in panels with members of the crew so far? That's why I was originally skeptical. It's like Oda has intentionally decided to have him avoid the SHs. Remember when he made it up to the roof in like one chapter? How many SHs did he have to pass on the way up and why didn't any of them even get shown on panel with him as he ran past? And what "juicy" interactions are you referring to? The one where he said he knew Ace and was then subsequently called by the wrong name?
    LOL. You wanted Oda to waste time and panels showing Yamato get to the roof top and other strawhats reactions of a person running by? Really? All for the who is that person reaction?

Pretty sure Oda didn't seem that a priority or issue of importance at this point in the raid. Yamato's conflict with Kaido was much more important.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by JDub View Post
    I think one of the things that really dashed any possibility for Carrot was the fact that she was never immediately tied to the conflict of the arc. For the other members of the crew, the main conflict for their respective arcs had personal relevance, and its resolution meant something for them. Saving Zoro from execution, saving Usopp’s village and Kaya, defending Baratie, freeing Nami and Cocoyashi from Arlong, driving Wapol out of drum and defending Hiriluk’s will, rescuing Robin and Franky from being taken by the World Government to activate/build Pluton, defeating Moria to return Brook’s shadow to him, helping Jimbei defend Fishman Island. And now liberating Yamato from Kaido. That’s what allows those characters to have major focus in the arcs they join, that the conflict has an added layer to them. Carrot doesn’t really have anything similar to that. She’s been treated like an accessory to the conflict in that way.
    Main thing I've been saying about Carrot and why she won't join. Never got that secondary protagonist treatment. Would've been different if she had any conflict and subplot with Big Mom predating the want to rescue Sanji but that was given to Pedro.

Plus even now any plot related stuff that could've been applied to Carrot just to use her and give her screen time has all been given to Yamato.

There's just a clear difference in how these characters are treated after being introduced.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post
    It is getting a little tiresome when people keep using Oda’s shortcoming of not liking too many female faces against him to justify ignoring the rest of the design, as if that’s seriously going to get in Oda’s way of having people join.

https://i.ibb.co/zXTwmd8/B3777-CE6-4...B8-DEA2-BC.jpg
    That's not even a good comparison shot, since it's missing the height thing.

Also that Nami changes her hairstyle every arc (most notably when she had to share page time with Pudding) There's a reason she's wearing a flower in her hair this arc and got a giant forehead bandaid early on.

Those are the two most recent pictures from the same angle. Oda's even changing where Nami's hair parts so its more on the side than the center, which it *wasn't* doing 40 chapters ago. So he changed Nami subtly too, which I didn't notice till now. Plus their outfits are opposite colors.

It also leaves out that the most striking thing about Yamato is in color, but in a mostly black and white series that's not really fair. And that was also chapter 1 Yamato, Oda's subtly refined the design since. I agree the first month or two it was too much Nami-face, especially in extreme closeups and black and white and making angry faces, it was the main thing that kept me going in early on, but Oda's done a few things subtle things since.

Quote Originally Posted by Shift View Post
    Here’s that Jolly Roger I owe you. And anyone’s free to use it how they wish:
    Neat! He hasn't officially joined yet though. Just because I'm fully convinced doesn't mean anything.

Might as well say Robin is Nami with a slant nose. Again, I doubt Oda cares to have this get in the way of who joins. lol

https://i.ibb.co/g9J913h/C5-FFBE52-E...49-A691-B4.jpg
    That's a little unfair. Robin was *drastically* different from any female face design when she first showed up.

20 years and 10,000 drawings later and she's simplified and homogenized a lot, so they're both a lot more similar now, but she was drastically different at the start.

Also the anime went the extra mile and gave her a tan.

Compare them nowadays though and you'd be hardpressed to tell Robin apart from Hancock or Viola. But if they shared an extended scene Oda would be sure to give Robin some sunglasses to put in her hair or something to help push them apart.

So yeah, it'd be nice if Yamato had a more striking jawline or stronger cheekbones or a different nose or something... but he'd end up looking similar in a few years anyway. Oda's putting in the effort to make them visually distinct, he's clearly aware he had the designs a little close originally since he's even changed up Nami's look over the last year.
    Last edited by Robby; July 8th, 2021 at 02:59 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Yamato's most distinguishing feature aside from the obvious height and horns are by far his eyes. There's something alluring and unique about them, the size of the pupils compared to the irises, the sharpness of them, the tiny little lashes as the bottom of the eye, the lighter shade and yes even the color. They're not always done consistently but in the shots that matter, they always look very striking. Like Oda is making a very clear effort to make them distinguishable.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    20 years and 10,000 drawings later and she's simplified and homogenized a lot, so they're both a lot more similar now, but she was drastically different at the start.

Compare them nowadays though and you'd be hardpressed to tell Robin apart from Hancock or Viola. But if they shared an extended scene Oda would be sure to give Robin some sunglasses to put in her hair or something to help push them apart.

So yeah, it'd be nice if Yamato had a more striking jawline or stronger cheekbones or a different nose or something... but he'd end up looking similar in a few years anyway. Oda's putting in the effort to make them visually distinct, he's clearly aware he had the designs a little close originally since he's even changed up Nami's look over the last year.
    It is a bit shocking to me looking at that early days sketch book of Oda's and seeing some of the female faces he hasn't used.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

That's not even a good comparison shot, since it's missing the height thing.

https://i.ibb.co/6gvZ0FF/B3777-CE6-4...B8-DEA2-BC.jpg

Also that Nami changes her hairstyle every arc (most notably when she had to share page time with Pudding) There's a reason she's wearing a flower in her hair this arc and got a giant forehead bandaid early on.

https://i.ibb.co/T1g9PTK/namiyam.jpg

Those are the two most recent pictures from the same angle. Oda's even changing where Nami's hair parts so its more on the side than the center, which it *wasn't* doing 40 chapters ago. So he changed Nami subtly too, which I didn't notice till now. Plus their outfits are opposite colors.

It also leaves out that the most striking thing about Yamato is in color, but in a mostly black and white series that's not really fair. And that was also chapter 1 Yamato, Oda's subtly refined the design since. I agree the first month or two it was too much Nami-face, especially in extreme closeups and black and white and making angry faces, it was the main thing that kept me going in early on, but Oda's done a few things subtle things since.

Neat! He hasn't officially joined yet though. Just because I'm fully convinced doesn't mean anything.

That's a little unfair. Robin was *drastically* different from any female face design when she first showed up.

If nothing can stop you from saying that Yamato is a “horny Nami” then nothing can stop others from saying that Robin is a “slant nose Nami”. lol

Our bet was that if Carrot didn't join at the end of WCI, I'd make a symbol for who you think will join next. Since you said you think Yamato is going to, that's who I drew. But I'm glad you like it!

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    It is a bit shocking to me looking at that early days sketch book of Oda's and seeing some of the female faces he hasn't used.
    Oda admitted that the amount of beautiful female faces he likes drawing is limited, and perhaps goes to show that everyone has flaws and shortcomings, including successful artists such as himself. I don’t think that should take away from how he makes designs as a whole though.

Oda admitted that the amount of beautiful female faces he likes drawing is limited, and perhaps goes to show that everyone has flaws and shortcomings, including successful artists such as himself. I don’t think that should take away from how he makes designs as a whole though.

https://i.ibb.co/sqyDrWw/B975-C44-C-...44-ED604-D.jpg
    He still had a couple unique "beautiful" faces i saw from sketches he hasn't used. I should've saved the pic.
    Last.fm

Might as well say Robin is Nami with a slant nose. Again, I doubt Oda cares to have this get in the way of who joins. lol

https://i.ibb.co/g9J913h/C5-FFBE52-E...49-A691-B4.jpg
    Night and day. If people want to know why I didn't consider Yamato a legit NN early on, it was because of the face. Looking at Nami and Robin, the difference couldn't be more stark. These were female designs from just the last arc. None of them resemble Nami at all and if Yamato had a face like any of them, I would've been more inclined to think that the possibility for a NN was there.

Last edited by BobLoblaw; July 8th, 2021 at 01:20 PM.

Night and day. If people want to know why I didn't consider Yamato a legit NN early on, it was because of the face. Looking at Nami and Robin, the difference couldn't be more stark. These were female designs from just the last arc. None of them resemble Nami at all and if Yamato had a face like any of them, I would've been more inclined to think that the possibility for a NN was there.

https://i.imgur.com/SIPuYtD.png
    From what I’ve understood, Oda tends to make slim, young female faces look more distinct if they’re more antagonistic or rough, like with Zala, Muret, Kalifa, Perona, or Ginrummy. He might not even consider a lot of the Charlotte women to fall under his description of “beautiful woman” in that respect, because he apparently doesn’t consider Amazon Lily women to traditionally fall under “beautiful woman” aside from Hancock.

Last edited by electricmastro; July 8th, 2021 at 01:26 PM.

https://i.imgur.com/SIPuYtD.png
    Custard, Broyé, and Myukuru all look like variations of Nami to me; Nami with a smaller nose, angry Nami, and brown Nami.

Cinnamon looks like a brown haired Miss Wednesday.
    Last.fm

From what I’ve understood, Oda tends to make young, slim female faces look more distinct if they’re more antagonistic or rough, like with Zala, Muret, Kalifa, Perona, or Ginrummy. He might not even consider a lot of the Charlotte women to fall under his description of “beautiful woman” in that respect, because he apparently doesn’t consider Amazon Lily women to fall under “beautiful woman” aside from Hancock.

https://i.ibb.co/bN2c5rx/EB5-DCE16-2...FFA554-B62.png
    I kinda laughed to how much he struggles to draw beauties when most of his female characters actually ARE beauties, and some more than Hancock and Shirahoshi. I mean, it is subjective and thus he should free himself into doing it as there will be people loving this or that character.

Beside this I find kinda awkward how he CAN'T draw a lot of different girls as he HAVE to do them beautiful = perfect. A lot of his most beautiful male characters are arguably fair and fair away from perfection rules and that is the best part of them. I won't mind a beautiful woman with Marco's hair, Kid's face scars or some Bartolomeo like fangs: he'd avoid such a stress and put even more variety to charas. Heck, I find Porche a top tier cutie and she almost has USOPP'S NOSE!
    Quote Originally Posted by rayleigh92 View Post
    Carrot sneaked on the Sunny when they left Zou, not asking or requesting anyone. IF Carrot is going to join, I expect something like that, with the crew ready to leave Wano, all of them beginning to party for new nakama Yamato and then "wha-t?! Carrot is near Luffy

You gotta be impressed with Carrot supporters, there’s no give in them

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    Custard, Broyé, and Myukuru all look like variations of Nami to me; Nami with a smaller nose, angry Nami, and brown Nami.

Cinnamon looks like a brown haired Miss Wednesday.
    Coincidentally, they still look less like Nami than Yamato.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    You gotta be impressed with Carrot supporters, there’s no give in them
    Some have conceded when Yamato made his declaration in front of Kaido. Others, well... We all have been tempted by denial at some point in our lives

Quote Originally Posted by Coookie View Post
    Some have conceded when Yamato made his declaration in front of Kaido. Others, well... We all have been tempted by denial at some point in our lives
    I wonder how differently people would feel and how much support would be shown for there being new crew mates in general if Carrot would have said to Kaido “I’m going to sail the seas with Luffy after he gets back!”

I wonder how differently people would feel and how much support would be shown for there being new crew mates in general if Carrot would have said to Kaido “I’m going to sail the seas with Luffy after he gets back!”
    It would've been jarring if that had come after being irrelevant for so long but it would've been an undeniable point in Carrot's favor. Just with an aftertaste of "why now and why did she get nothing for so long"

I'd feel Carrot saying that after having a lot of adventures with a crew and knowing what's like to be with them would have way more weight than Yamato deciding it before he has that same experience.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

About Yamato declaring straight and forthly his will of saiiling with Luffy... Carrot isn't that type.

Carrot sneeked on the Sunny when they left Zou, not asking or requesting anyone. IF Carrot is going to join, I expect something that would parody that scene, with the whole crew ready to left Wano, all of them beginning to party for new nakama Yamato and then "wha-t?! Carrot is near Luffy chomping his ear and no one noticed it? Yamato doesn't know her and think she's an enemy to fight? So hilarious, kampa-i!" like scene.
    Carrot sneaked on the Sunny when they left Zou, not asking or requesting anyone. IF Carrot is going to join, I expect something like that, with the crew ready to leave Wano, all of them beginning to party for new nakama Yamato and then "wha-t?! Carrot is near Luffy

About Yamato declaring straight and forthly his will of saiiling with Luffy... Carrot isn't that type.

Carrot sneeked on the Sunny when they left Zou, not asking or requesting anyone. IF Carrot is going to join, I expect something that would parody that scene, with the whole crew ready to left Wano, all of them beginning to party for new nakama Yamato and then "wha-t?! Carrot is near Luffy chomping his ear and no one noticed it? Yamato doesn't know her and think she's an enemy to fight? So hilarious, kampa-i!" like scene.
    Yeah, in that case, Carrot resorting to sneaking on board while Yamato declares out loud and upfront her interest in sailing with Luffy on his ship could showcase how different the two characters are.

Closed Thread

Thread Information